2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

1 minute ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Is this the least canadian canucks roster? 

canadians likely for starting lines 

forwards: beau, pdg?, studz?

d-men: soucy, wolanin? bris? juulsen?

goal: nope

Don’t we want the best possible team? Who cares where a player is from? 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Of the list of players, I'm sure at least 10 forwards, 5 D and of course Demmer/DeSmith, the obvious goalie tandem, are a lock.

Obviously still trimming to do before the opening face-off of the new season. One way or another, it's definitely a new look Canucks for 2023/2024. And whoever is cut from this list is very encouraging regarding our depth.

Already the likes of Dries, Hirose, Pods, Irwin are surely depth guys that can be called upon, as well as those few remaining players yet to be cut. Every one of these cuts have played with the big team at one point or another;

- Dries, ( who pretty much was a roster guy last season),

- Irwin ( as a vet depth Biega type call up),

- Hirose  ( with his impressive showing end of last season), gives one the feeling of solice regarding our depths.

Also in keeping with the guys next to be cut who are definite 1st call ups!

Acquiring the likes of Raty, Bloom, via trades; Unsigned free agents,  Bains, Mynio, Sasson, and there's yet to see some of the promising prospects in recent draft picks.

Repeating myself, I guess the point I'm making is our depth has improved and the JR/PA management group has made it so. They did the best they could to rectify poor depth management from the previous JB era.

55 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

i think so. Check out Edmonton’s team in comparison 

• Cheers 1

Why is Tocchet pumping PDG's tires so much ? A pleasure to coach ?

Lets just say its a pleasure to watch Filip Hronek with has crisp passes and confident game. I just don't know how it is fair to pump PDG's tires and say nothing of Hronek. We need to resign this guy. We want him to feel valued to the team. 

52 minutes ago, Blue said:

Lets just say its a pleasure to watch Filip Hronek with has crisp passes and confident game. I just don't know how it is fair to pump PDG's tires and say nothing of Hronek. We need to resign this guy. We want him to feel valued to the team. 

I'm sure Hronek is crying himself to sleep every night because Tocchet didn't mention him in pressers.....

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

54 minutes ago, Blue said:

I doubt Hronek even listens to Rick's postgame interviews... but I do agree with your overall point.

Nowhere near enough love for a guy who is honestly a really important part of the team.

FH seems like a quiet dude, with a pretty quiet game. But his overall package is borderline elite; the guy is likely to put 40+ points for us from the backend this season...

Gush about his mental fortitude, and how much better balanced we are with him on the roster. How we haven't had a right shot D with his skillset in a decade?

But sure, Rick - go off on some tweener who skates hard. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm sure Hronek is crying himself to sleep every night because Tocchet didn't mention him in pressers.....

It wouldn't hurt to pump the guys tires a bit. He is new to the team. Tocchet probably made taking the coaching job conditional on the Canucks getting an NHL calibre defenseman on the right side and Hronek is it. He takes himself seriously. He showed up to camp ripped. His hair is always combed. He's a consummate professional. 

But hey, lets fawn over PDG some more.

Edited by Blue
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

It wouldn't hurt to pump the guys tires a bit. He is new to the team. Tocchet probably made taking the coaching job conditional on the Canucks getting an NHL calibre defenseman on the right side and Hronek is it.  But hey, lets fawn over PDG some more.

And people think I fabricate things to get upset about. 

• Haha 4

Hronek makes $4,400,000 every 10 months for playing a game he loves...and he will get a decent raise after this contract.

PDG makes $775k per year and it is hit or miss if he will be in the nhl.

I don't think hronek needs his coach to pump his tires in the media lol.

Edited by Mac
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Blue said:

It wouldn't hurt to pump the guys tires a bit. He is new to the team.

So are Cole, Soucy, Blueger, Suter. Has Tocchet been talking about them? Pumping their tires?

Tocchet probably made taking the coaching job conditional on the Canucks getting an NHL calibre defenseman on the right side and Hronek is it.

That's an assumption at this point. I don't think management would be making the moves they made based on a coach's demands. 

He takes himself seriously. He showed up to camp ripped. His hair is always combed. He's a consummate professional. 

I didn't realize that he shows up with his hair always combed. Tocchet clearly should be talking about Hronek non stop for the remainder of the preseason.

But hey, lets fawn over PDG some more.

You're talking about PDG more than Tocchet at this point.

"Hronek makes $4,400,000 every 10 months for playing a game he loves...and he will get a decent raise after this contract."

Personally, I hope management takes a "wait and see" approach with Hronek before trying to resign him. If it costs us a little more in the end, so be it.

Hronek appears to be what we need but the sample size is nowhere big enough IMO. He's played VERY well up to this point in his career to earn that $4.4 million contract. His career avg PPG is .508 which potentially puts him around 40 points this season....which would be a career high. However, he's had 7 injuries since 2020 and is averaging 61.8 games a season since he came into the league. If those health issues are finally behind him, we may well have ourselves a true #2 defenseman on our hands.  

My issue is the past Mgt (Benning) has rushed to sign players to contracts that did not age well for us...  ie) foundational players such as Sutter. LOL

Granted alot of those bad contracts were due to UFA status. Louie, Ferland, Myers, Beagle and so on, all had large degrees of success with their previous teams prior to signing with us. It seems the team is finally moving in the right direction and getting out from under those bad contracts. Perhaps I'm just a little gunshy about potentially rushing into a new contract after only seeing him play 4 games for us. 

I'm rooting for him to have a great season and be the player we think he is. Then we can discuss an extension. JMO however.    

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, Mac said:

Hronek makes $4,400,000 every 10 months for playing a game he loves...and he will get a decent raise after this contract.

PDG makes $775k per year and it is hit or miss if he will be in the nhl.

I don't think hronek needs his coach to pump his tires in the media lol.

Oh is that what this is.. romancing the plucky underdog. For you even to say that about Hronek and get some upvotes for it just shows the lack of perspective on how important Hronek is to this club. 

Like hey lets not butter up Petterson at all either. He makes 7+ million to play hockey.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Don’t we want the best possible team? Who cares where a player is from? 

I am pretty sure this year's team will be the "least" Canadian Canuck team ever. Part of that is due to the rise in hockey popularity in other countries, especially the United States. But even in Europe there is more depth than in the past.

Another factor is that Allvin and Rutherford have worked hard to generate prospects and players from less traditional sources given the lack of high draft picks in recent drafts. Top players from the CHL rarely get overlooked but you can sometimes find guys in Europe or as college free agents from the US.

As for Alf's comment. my guess is that most of us do follow and root for Canadian athletes in various sports -- golf, tennis, MLB, NFL, Olympics, etc.

And don't most us like it when a local kid makes the team--Stecher, Bains, etc.

The top priority for the Canucks is of course to put the best possible team on the ice and I am desperately hoping for a Canuck Stanley Cup in my lifetime. So I am all for getting the best players regardless of where they come from. But it is a bonus to have some Canadians on the roster. (But, no, I do not want Virtanen back.😁)

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Oh is that what this is.. romancing the plucky underdog. For you even to say that about Hronek and get some upvotes for it just shows the lack of perspective on how important Hronek is to this club. 

Like hey lets not butter up Petterson at all either. He makes 7+ million to play hockey.

There are still lots of solid hard working humans on the planet that don't need to be coddled and told how great they are all the time. 

In fact, those are usually the ones that succeed and exceed expectations. Those that need someone to prop them up with nice words all the time (accurate or not) really are not the weak minded players the Canucks should be looking for. I don't think Hronek cares about platitudes...you do.  Agree to disagree.