2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

On 10/2/2023 at 7:51 AM, DrJockitch said:

I expect we will see Hronek moved up with him with increasing frequency. 
We only have 2 D men where top 2 isn’t a stretch, at some point Tocchet will put them together. 

I can definitely see that too. Hronek is so smart with the puck. I’d actually like to see them both on the PP together instead of using a 4th forward. Not gonna happen tho. Doesn’t seem like anyone does that these days unless it’s PP2 line.

23 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's like the Sedin's all over again. Never did get them a top notch player to ride their wing. At least Burrows fit well and punched above his weight. They should be focusing on getting a partner for Hughes.

Totally agree. It took a long time to find that guy but it was worth it when we did. Who knows tho, maybe Willamder plays 1 year in college, gets used to the smaller ice, then makes the jump. I bet he’s better than McWard already.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Slegr said:

I’m liking the mix of players this year, and I like that Tocchet seems to know that sandpaper is needed on each line. Our forwards are generally too small still. We need a couple more guys six feet minimum and a couple of five footers need to be moved.

Yes, send Beuvillier to a team that needs some offense, but has size...perfect partners.

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I can definitely see that too. Hronek is so smart with the puck. I’d actually like to see them both on the PP together instead of using a 4th forward. Not gonna happen tho. Doesn’t seem like anyone does that these days unless it’s PP2 line.

Happening in practice today because EP sick so may see it some. He has a big shot even though never scored 10g. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Makes sense:

No reason to ice a full lineup when Seattle is bringing only a few regulars, better to rest some of our key guys and not get them hurt before the season starts. I'd expect Demko, Miller, Hughes, Hronek, and Boeser to get the night off. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Makes sense:

No reason to ice a full lineup when Seattle is bringing only a few regulars, better to rest some of our key guys and not get them hurt before the season starts. I'd expect Demko, Miller, Hughes, Hronek, and Boeser to get the night off. 

Aren’t we doing exactly what people complained about last season though?

Only dressing our full lineup for two games.

If we start rough again people are gonna look to that as a reason.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Aren’t we doing exactly what people complained about last season though?

Only dressing our full lineup for two games.

If we start rough again people are gonna look to that as a reason.

I forget when it was, but remember when we didn't practice the PP all training camp lol.

On 10/1/2023 at 4:36 PM, Rick_theRyper said:

Forwards (14)
Nils Åman
Anthony Beauvillier
Teddy Blueger
Brock Boeser
Phil Di Giuseppe
Conor Garland
Nils Höglander
Dakota Joshua
Andrei Kuzmenko
Ilya Mikheyev
J.T. Miller
Elias Pettersson
Jack Studnicka
Pius Suter

Defence (9)
Guillaume Brisebois
Ian Cole
Filip Hronek
Quinn Hughes
Noah Juulsen
Cole McWard
Tyler Myers
Carson Soucy
Christian Wolanin

Goaltenders (2)
Thatcher Demko
Casey DeSmith

My guess how this wraps.

i'm actually curious why vancouver decided to schedule so few preseason games this year. most teams are in the 7-9 range and we'll finish with 6. while most of you don't give a f about preseason just like our management.. i find it extra important for our players to have a good preseason and carry over to regular season.. over the past 4-5 season we were awful in preseason and it carried over to the start of the season.. a lot of starters or even star players in the league are going to end up with 4 preseason games.. and playing together with their linemates for at least 3 of them to get the chemistry going early.. meanwhile our top players will maybe play 3 games together and spend 2 games or less with their actual linemates.. laine, macavoy trouba panarin nylander matthews marner reilly etc and the list is pretty big all will likely play in their final preason games so they'll all finish with 4+ game played.. we make excuse such as we don't want injury etc etc.. so other teams don't care about that?? no it's all about getting the rust off the players and get the season off to a flying start and not looking like they are still in preseason form.

not that i'm interested in watching them increase the amount of preseason games but continue to ice the ahlers and have the top guys barely play.. i just find this season especially it's important for the defence partner to get used to their partners early and often to know their tendency etc.. literally every defenceman is playing with a new partner this year.. so the lack of preason games for the vet is very disappointing.. and if we get off to another slow start.. i think we can look back at the preseason again.

Edited by wai_lai416