2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

Millers coasting a wee bit. That's Ok, he knows this routine. If Brock can stay healthy, and I think he will this year. That line should give a Hell One-two punch

with the Pettersson, Kuzmenko line. All things being equal, we should be fielding a damn solid third line that can be versatile that can take two roles when 

it's needed. Defensive or offensive. Been a spell since this team has been able to do that. What? 1994 or 2011 ?  🤒.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I know this isn’t the right thread…but just thought I’d respond here since I seen your post…so i’ve got in shit twice now from my wife from staring at those “booty” gifs you’ve been posting…lol thanks a lot you bastard…had to pass it off like, geez babe this guy what a pig…I was just scrolling thru, not looking!

😇

Damn, did I miss booty gifs?! 😥

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Millers coasting a wee bit. That's Ok, he knows this routine. If Brock can stay healthy, and I think he will this year. That line should give a Hell One-two punch

with the Pettersson, Kuzmenko line. All things being equal, we should be fielding a damn solid third line that can be versatile that can take two roles when 

it's needed. Defensive or offensive. Been a spell since this team has been able to do that. What? 1994 or 2011 ?  🤒.  

I can really see Miller regressing, he's bound to at some point, but if he drops 60-70 points and is solid defensively then I'd be happy. Blueger and Suter bring a lot more offence than we've had in our bottom 6 in a long time. Even Aman and Studnicka especially looked solid but they won't score much. We've got some very versatile centers all of a sudden. Not the best or most dynamic but IMO the best defensive centers across the board. Petey is unreal defensively and may be up for Selke mentions this year, Miller is solid, Blueger and Suter are both strong PKers and Aman or Studnicka can take draws if need be too.

Very different to the 3x 100pt centers of the Oilers but....to be honest, you win in the playoffs with good defenders down the middle.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I can really see Miller regressing, he's bound to at some point, but if he drops 60-70 points and is solid defensively then I'd be happy. Blueger and Suter bring a lot more offence than we've had in our bottom 6 in a long time. Even Aman and Studnicka especially looked solid but they won't score much. We've got some very versatile centers all of a sudden. Not the best or most dynamic but IMO the best defensive centers across the board. Petey is unreal defensively and may be up for Selke mentions this year, Miller is solid, Blueger and Suter are both strong PKers and Aman or Studnicka can take draws if need be too.

Very different to the 3x 100pt centers of the Oilers but....to be honest, you win in the playoffs with good defenders down the middle.

lol if he drops off to 60-70 point this season.. that's a massive fail we are in year 1 of his 7 year contract.. 60-70 points that's literally no different from horvat's contract..

as for now that preseason is over.. who do you guys think will end up on the top line with EP and Kuz to start the season?? so far none of the candidate that played there looked good. garland beau hoglander.. i'm going to say mik slides in when he's back the 2nd line looks pretty set with miller boeser and pdg

30 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol if he drops off to 60-70 point this season.. that's a massive fail we are in year 1 of his 7 year contract.. 60-70 points that's literally no different from horvat's contract..

as for now that preseason is over.. who do you guys think will end up on the top line with EP and Kuz to start the season?? so far none of the candidate that played there looked good. garland beau hoglander.. i'm going to say mik slides in when he's back the 2nd line looks pretty set with miller boeser and pdg

I like all this talk about Kuzy and Petey being the top line, because it will only light the fire. With Horvat, you would likely admit Miller, Horvat and Boeser were the top line.

For those of you who think Miller and Boeser are now in the old age home.... you are in for a pleasant surprise this year with whoever gets to play on the OG top line.

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

I like all this talk about Kuzy and Petey being the top line, because it will only light the fire. With Horvat, you would likely admit Miller, Horvat and Boeser were the top line.

For those of you who think Miller and Boeser are now in the old age home.... you are in for a pleasant surprise this year with whoever gets to play on the OG top line.

lol with horvat i would still not admit miller horvat boeser were the top line.. no team we played last year put their top defensive pairing matchup vs that line.. literally no team in the league thought of that line as the canucks top line.. maybe 2 seasons ago when Miller had his 99 point season

10 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Dont forget the 5 years we had the East Coast express and the Mattress lines, that was our beast lines and although no one remembers becasue we didnt make the finals, that was the team that would have won if we had Luongo sooner.

Now we got Demko.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol with horvat i would still not admit miller horvat boeser were the top line.. no team we played last year put their top defensive pairing matchup vs that line.. literally no team in the league thought of that line as the canucks top line.. maybe 2 seasons ago when Miller had his 99 point season

I think you are just a points person. What about the 5v5 play. Sure, Petey and Kuzy killed on the PP but check all the stats this year. Boeser is finally back to his old form, Miller is getting better with age, not worse. You think his 100 point season was his peak? geez. He lost his centerman last year, long before the trade.

Looking at Miller setting up Dr Oetker all over the ice, Boeser feeding the point.... There is alot of preseason stuff Miller and Boeser didnt get credit for, playing with a basic AHL forward on thier line.

8 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I think you are just a points person. What about the 5v5 play. Sure, Petey and Kuzy killed on the PP but check all the stats this year. Boeser is finally back to his old form, Miller is getting better with age, not worse. You think his 100 point season was his peak? geez. He lost his centerman last year, long before the trade.

Looking at Miller setting up Dr Oetker all over the ice, Boeser feeding the point.... There is alot of preseason stuff Miller and Boeser didnt get credit for, playing with a basic AHL forward on thier line.

he lost his centerman?? he was the centerman that got demoted because he was horrible at center.. lol if miller didn't get credit for playing with an ahl forward.. EP didn't get credit for playing with ahler and 3rd/4th liner at various time the last 3 seasons. 5v5 play EP/Kuz killed the miller line.. so i dunno what you are smoking 68 to 43 last season.. miller got more PP points than EP lol. EP is simply superior in all aspect.. funny u think EP killed it on the PP

14 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

he lost his centerman?? he was the centerman that got demoted because he was horrible at center.. lol if miller didn't get credit for playing with an ahl forward.. EP didn't get credit for playing with ahler and 3rd/4th liner at various time the last 3 seasons. 5v5 play EP/Kuz killed the miller line.. so i dunno what you are smoking 68 to 43 last season.. miller got more PP points than EP lol. EP is simply superior in all aspect.. funny u think EP killed it on the PP

was expecting you to start that with "ok boomer" like my kids would. I do agree Petey is amazing. Kuzy is amazing. But I think Boeser and Miller are just more mature, have had their lumps and slumps and maybe a 29 year old PDG playing on an AHL salary is enough to make them both wake up.

5 minutes ago, Tusk said:

was expecting you to start that with "ok boomer" like my kids would. I do agree Petey is amazing. Kuzy is amazing. But I think Boeser and Miller are just more mature, have had their lumps and slumps and maybe a 29 year old PDG playing on an AHL salary is enough to make them both wake up.

i don't even know where you start the arguement from.. all i've said quoting another guy if he does drop to a 60-70 point guy on the 1st year of his new contract.. that's a terrible contract.. i'm not even the one that said he drops to 60-70 points lol. as for maturity? nothing Miller have shown with his on ice antic the last 2 season shows that he's more mature than EP.. if anything EP have played thru more lumps bumps and slumps than any of those 2 with the media and fans all over him in the 3rd season with his slump and then injury and then starting off slow with the contract stand off missing preseason. i'm not bashing or making any prediction on boeser or miller.. all i'm saying is if miller drops to 60-70 points like the previous guy i was quoting suggested.. then his contract is a horrible one regardless of how good he is defensively (which he is not.. average at best if he's wiling to commit to it) if he went from 99 to 82 to 70 points that's a pretty steep decline for the 1st year of his 7 year contract.. so let's hope not and he can keep his 80ish points for at least 3-4 more seasons.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I dont see Miller regressing at all. I see him not having to smash his mashed potatoes because of incompetence of team-mates, because that shit is done and over.

Miller does not need to be a captain to be a leader.

Miller and Boeser are both going to have a great year, possibly their best. Naslund, Bartuzzi and Morrison didnt become the West Coast Express till they were all around Miller's age. These two guys are just getting going.

So when you get all envy about Oilers, We have Petey, Kuzy, Millsy, Flow. Then you got Huggy, Horonik and Demmers. So you want the sprinkles on top? Dr. Oetker, some spice like Garland, mix it up with Cole, Soucy (everyone likes sauce it seems} but there is the mashed potatoes Myers who always got the brunt of the criticisms but is always best with the right gravy.

SO happy thanksgiving everyone!

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Tusk said:

I dont see Miller regressing at all. I see him not having to smash his mashed potatoes because of incompetence of team-mates, because that shit is done and over.

Miller does not need to be a captain to be a leader.

Miller and Boeser are both going to have a great year, possibly their best. Naslund, Bartuzzi and Morrison didnt become the West Coast Express till they were all around Miller's age. These two guys are just getting going.

So when you get all envy about Oilers, We have Petey, Kuzy, Millsy, Flow. Then you got Huggy, Horonik and Demmers. So you want the sprinkles on top? Dr. Oetker, some spice like Garland, mix it up with Cole, Soucy (everyone likes sauce it seems} but there is the mashed potatoes Myers who always got the brunt of the criticisms but is always best with the right gravy.

SO happy thanksgiving everyone!

Happy thanksgiving indeed and let’s hope they all have a career season and we get to the playoff maybe win a series or 2 and ep signs long term 

11 hours ago, Tusk said:

Dont forget the 5 years we had the East Coast express and the Mattress lines, that was our beast lines and although no one remembers becasue we didnt make the finals, that was the team that would have won if we had Luongo sooner.

Now we got Demko.

buh?

jason king played a total of 55 games over 2 seasons for the canucks. 

and I think your compass might be upside-down. 

12 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I don't think it will be this year, but statically JT regressing to that level over the next few years in the most likely outcome.

45 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I don't think it will be this year, but statically JT regressing to that level over the next few years in the most likely outcome.

i don't think it'll be this year either but i'm no the past 30 and you'll see regression side.. is it guaranteed? no there's always players that plays well or even better as they age, but i don't think miller is one of them. we shall see, for canucks sake let's hope it's not this year or it'll be even tougher to convince EP to stay.

12 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i don't think it'll be this year either but i'm no the past 30 and you'll see regression side.. is it guaranteed? no there's always players that plays well or even better as they age, but i don't think miller is one of them. we shall see, for canucks sake let's hope it's not this year or it'll be even tougher to convince EP to stay.

There definitely are a small subset of players that retain their elite abilities, or even get better as they age. I think Miller has a chance at that, because he's an absolute elite level powerplay guy. He man's a powerplay at a level few guys do in the league. That being said, he can struggle defensively and does rely on his first step being so powerful to break away from defenders.. so it's hard to say.

But statistically, it's far more likely we see a pretty significant drop off in Miller within a few years. Gotta hope Raty hits at center, or else we are going to be looking for another top 6 center when this team is in its contention window, on top of a first pairing Dman. Which is an unsettling thought.

I wonder if Soucy is out longer? But I dont think Höglander was better than Studnicka. 

Is that a coach vs gm thing, it felt like this was something that happened during the Benning era as well.

The coach wanted the team to play bigger but they didn't have the right players 

Edited by Ds4quality
  • Like 1