2023-24 Training Camp Thread

Slegr

Seems like Studnicka and Aman being waived and sent down as Tocchet said it "it was above my pay grade" - the loss of Brisebois and Soucy to injury complicated cap related matters and that is why they were sent down.

Tocchet re-iterated Studnicka had a good camp and Aman was good that he should've been in for opening night roster.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Seems IM is going to be ready soon too! I want to see him at full speed. On Lafferty, the Leafs had him slotted into their third line, he's not an upgrade on Beau or even Garland for that matter, but as a 4th line winger/center. Size is a good thing, if he uses it.

I like the mix of who is remaining on this team. That sucks Soucy is week to week though. 
I just don’t see a spot for Hoglander on the team, unless we run into  serious injuries. I’m ready to move on from that experiment.

24 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Seems like Studnicka and Aman being waived and sent down as Tocchet said it "it was above my pay grade" - the loss of Brisebois and Soucy to injury complicated cap related matters and that is why they were sent down.

Tocchet re-iterated Studnicka had a good camp and Aman was good that he should've been in for opening night roster.

Wolanin, not Aman, at least that's what the waiver list says.

28 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

If McWard isn't in the plans to be played in the top 6...send him to Abbotsford so he can get reps in.  I'd rather see him play 20+ in multiple roles than a sheltered role here.

Im glad they didn’t overreact and blow up the pairs with Soucy out.

Hughes and Hronek looked very good last game and even Myers seemed to play well with Cole who was also really solid.

I don’t think we’ll see Hirose and Juulsen as a pair on Wednesday though. I think they make a claim or a trade by then. 

50 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hughes and Hronek looked very good last game and even Myers seemed to play well with Cole who was also really solid.

I don’t think we’ll see Hirose and Juulsen as a pair on Wednesday though. I think they make a claim or a trade by then. 

Agreed.

Hughes Hronek looked really good, and will likely continue to improve as they learn each others games. One thing I noticed though… Hughes shied away from taking shots compared to the last couple games. Wonder why?

Myers and Cole seem to compliment each other well, which is convenient given Soucy’s injury. 

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

I like the mix of who is remaining on this team. That sucks Soucy is week to week though. 
I just don’t see a spot for Hoglander on the team, unless we run into  serious injuries. I’m ready to move on from that experiment.

Hoglander isn't really an experiment, he's a 22 year old young player who has the skill but is still learning the NHL game.

He's not a bust at all, and really I'd rather have him than Garland on the team. He's as tenacious as Garland, better on the boards, the finishing will come. His defensive play has gotten a lot better, and really should be on the opening night roster. We just have an overload of wingers, and one of Garland or Beau really needs to get traded, but good luck with that.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HIWATT said:

Lafferty is a pissant. 
I love this move.
The team definitely needs more Max Lapieriere, and less Lick MyDerriere .
These kinds of players have been missing since 2010. 

Couldn't agree more.  The more the better, as far as I'm concerned, at least if you have any aspirations of playoff success.  The only slightly concerning trend is the fact that all the guys we have recently added who have some willingness to engage in fights (i.e., Lafferty, Soucy & Cole) are rated as losing basically all of their fights on hockeyfights.com  Ah well, beggars can't be choosers, and starting to add more of these types of players is still a big step in the right direction.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Couldn't agree more.  The more the better, as far as I'm concerned, at least if you have any aspirations of playoff success.  The only slightly concerning trend is the fact that all the guys we have recently added who have some willingness to engage in fights (i.e., Lafferty, Soucy & Cole) are rated as losing basically all of their fights on hockeyfights.com  Ah well, beggars can't be choosers, and starting to add more of these types of players is still a big step in the right direction.

no worries! Just setup a post practice hockey fight boot camp once a week with Tocchet and Foote as the instructors and these guys will be winning scraps like they’re the Hansen brothers. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yeah... That looks way better if we pick up Coghlan (or make a trade).

Hughes, Coghlan

Cole, Hronek

Hirose, Myers

2 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

yes, by 5pm EST

Thanks, I was wondering about exactly what time rosters had to be declared.

I wonder if some of the recent player movement is just to maximize LTIR space. Once that is done, it would not surprise me to see some further movement to set the actual playing roster. For example, Hirose has a slightly higher cap hit than Wolanin, so having Hirose on today's roster instead of Wolanin increases LTIR space. It does not make sense for either McWard or Hirose to be in the press box, so either they play or they get sent down.

Also, this is the easiest time of year to clear waivers so this was the best time to send Wolanin and Studnicka down, even if they get called back up.

Anyway, the next 48 hours will be interesting.

• Cheers 2