[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

57 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They got three cups out of it, as a franchise who's last two cups came back in the early 90's. They knew what they were doing. They got three cups out of the Crosby/Malkin/Letang era and it's not over yet, if that'd happened to us as Canucks fans we'd be over the moon. 

Crosby's still worth something to the Penguins, he's arguably top 2 all-time in terms of importance after Lemiux. It's either him or Jagr. 

Crosby's spent most of his career making 8.7M as a Penguin when he very likely could have commanded more, he'll almost certainly sign another deal and ride off into the sunset with Malkin and Letang. He's won everything there is to win, he has nothing left to prove. I doubt he'd be interested in leaving the Pens at this stage in his career for any team, regardless of how competitive that team is how how on the cusp of the playoffs Pittsburgh may be.

Acquiring Crosby is a pipe dream for any team not named team Canada. 

Not saying it wasn’t worth it but don’t kid yourself. It’s over. It’s time for them to move on.

I think I'd almost rather be ok with adding more to Mikheyev in a potential trade for a top six forward than moving Kuzmenko at all. He just has too much raw talent to give up on right now. 

3 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Analyst Suggests Penguins Part Ways With Sidney Crosby

With a future that remains unclear, there is belief the Pittsburgh Penguins should move on from Sidney Crosby.

PITTSBURGH – Not even a year into his tenure as president and general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Kyle Dubas is already walking a tightrope with the team. It’s up to Dubas to construct a Penguins team that can not only fight for a Stanley Cup now, but also remain competitive in the final years of Sidney Crosby’s career.

As the 2023-24 season rages on, the Penguins are struggling to remain in the playoff picture and the questions surrounding the legitimacy of the team are becoming more frequent. With Jake Guentzel nearing the end of his contract and Crosby playing some of the best hockey of his career at an advanced age, what is Dubas to do?

TSN analyst Bryan Hayes believes it’s time for the Penguins to let go of Crosby and let him be a monster player with another team.

“Get Sidney Crosby out of Pittsburgh,” Hayes said on TSN. “Follow in the footsteps of Tom Brady.”

Hayes said he ‘pleading’ for the Penguins to send Crosby to greener pastures as he is still a top talent in the NHL, but the team around him isn’t giving him any kind of help.

“He will always be remembered as a Penguin,” Hayes said. “It’s him and Mario Lemieux. The two greatest Penguins of all time. He’s given everything he possibly could to that franchise. That franchise is no longer repaying him.”

While this is far from the first time someone has suggested the Penguins find a way to move Crosby, it’s still extremely unlikely it happens. Crosby has a full no-move clause and is not going to waive it any time soon. Insiders around the Penguins also believe he’s sticking around through thick and thin.

It is fair to say that the Penguins should do right by their captain if they don’t have Cup ambitions and allow him the opportunity to compete, but with him on the roster, they are still a threat. At 36-years-old, Crosby is putting himself square in the middle of the MVP discussion, he just needs the rest of his team to follow his lead and find a consistent level of play.

Hayes again alluded to Brady in the way he left the New England Patriots and won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to cement himself as the greatest quarterback of all time.

“If he follows in the footsteps of Brady,” Hayes said. “Goes somewhere else, wins a Cup, is competitive… that is going to make the case for him to get into the top five all time.”

The Penguins recently made the decision to keep core members like Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang around through the end of their careers. That was the old front office regime, however, and Dubas might swing in a different direction if this team doesn’t pull themselves out of the basement.

Make sure you bookmark Inside the Penguins for the latest news, exclusive interviews, breakdowns and so much more.

It's funny but I've been saying this.  If you're all in for a cup the next 2 to 3 years.  Get Crosby.   You are now legit contenders and what an amazing fit to the team.  Rob Blake did it, Messier, Gretzky, Nash, bourque....there is a long history of hall of fame vets moving to contenders at the deadline in the twilight years.   Imagine it for a minute.....

• Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

It's funny but I've been saying this.  If you're all in for a cup the next 2 to 3 years.  Get Crosby.   You are now legit contenders and what an amazing fit to the team.  Rob Blake did it, Messier, Gretzky, Nash, bourque....there is a long history of hall of fame vets moving to contenders at the deadline in the twilight years.   Imagine it for a minute.....

I think a trade with Pitt,

To pitt: ep40& Kuz

To van: Crosby& Guentzel

Gives van experience and physicality.

Gives Pitt youth 

Both teams gain without breaking budget future.

What about this:

Lindholm for a 1st, Kuz or Mik, good prospect

Monahan for Kuz or Mik and a 2nd (maybe low lvl prospect) - regardless of what posters say, monahan is having a good season

That is 10 mill out so Canucks can afford it.

Suter Miller Boeser

Petey Lindholm (abby canuck or PDG)

Garland Blueger Joshua

Hoglander Monahan Lafferty

If Petey and Lindholm work well together, that gives a big boost to the scoring while we keep the 1st and 3rd lines in tact. Monahan has played well and with Hoggy and Laff I think they would really kill it. 

We know there is no way Petey/Lind would be worse than our current 2nd line...almost guaranteed.

I am not thinking long term on this but doing the going all in thing if the management actually think they can win.

The cap works I think (but I really don't know much about it).

We would have elite level centre depth.

Flame away.

Edit: I should say I am in the minority and think that if Petey continues to by wishy washy about signing here, trade him for a boat load. That would load the team up again for another run next year. 

Also, for the Calgary trade, add another 2nd next year and a good prospect to get Tanev. 

Wishful thinking lol.

Edited by Mac

1 hour ago, Mac said:

What about this:

Lindholm for a 1st, Kuz or Mik, good prospect

Monahan for Kuz or Mik and a 2nd (maybe low lvl prospect) - regardless of what posters say, monahan is having a good season

That is 10 mill out so Canucks can afford it.

Suter Miller Boeser

Petey Lindholm (abby canuck or PDG)

Garland Blueger Joshua

Hoglander Monahan Lafferty

If Petey and Lindholm work well together, that gives a big boost to the scoring while we keep the 1st and 3rd lines in tact. Monahan has played well and with Hoggy and Laff I think they would really kill it. 

We know there is no way Petey/Lind would be worse than our current 2nd line...almost guaranteed.

I am not thinking long term on this but doing the going all in thing if the management actually think they can win.

The cap works I think (but I really don't know much about it).

We would have elite level centre depth.

Flame away.

Edit: I should say I am in the minority and think that if Petey continues to by wishy washy about signing here, trade him for a boat load. That would load the team up again for another run next year. 

Also, for the Calgary trade, add another 2nd next year and a good prospect to get Tanev. 

Wishful thinking lol.

I can't see Calgary or Montreal being overly interested in taking on Kuzmenko or Mikheyev 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Cheers 1

On 1/25/2024 at 1:54 PM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think Vancouver is starting to see incremental buy-in and follow through from Kuzmenko. Not sold on he being the one on the way out.

Unless there is cap created due to injuries or something else in the works I just don't see the team having the cap to add another top tier player. And I'm not too upset about that.

Remember top team in the league, sure there are warts but pretty dangerous club as it stands now.

Yes, lets get a top 6 winger so we can score more goals!   🫢

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

SUPER, SUPER unlikely to happen, but I'd absolutely LOVE adding Crosby to the Canucks.

Could you fucking imagine.

Petey - Crosby - Mik

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Hoglander - Aman - Lafferty 

2 1sts, Kuzy, Lekkerimaki, Brzustewicz, Raty???

Edit: Jesus I forgot Mik and Kuzy.  I'd assume we send Kuzy over too.

Edited by Rusty Shackleford
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Could you fucking imagine.

Petey - Crosby - Mik

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Hoglander - Aman - Lafferty 

2 1sts, Kuzy, Lekkerimaki, Brzustewicz, Raty???

Edit: Jesus I forgot Mik and Kuzy.  I'd assume we send Kuzy over too.

Get ahold of yourself man!  Spending like a drunken sailor.  

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, bathgate said:

Gives Pitt youth 

LOL

Stephen Colbert Thinking GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

• Like 3

Me what we need is two solid hard to play against wingers.

My two picks that wouldn't cost us young stars are

Maroon and

Josh Anderson.

Our D group is big and then our forwards would be more bang and crash.

Wear em down and let our stars win games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, bathgate said:

Gives Pitt youth 

Well it wouldn't take petey.  But kuz, a 1st a 3rd and maybe lekkerimäki.

Then if petey decides to walk next year you'd recoup an absolute haul in draft pics and an nhl ready player.

Crosby would put us over the top and make us the Stanley Cup favourites. Plus he would teach our players how to win. 

IF Crosby did want to leave Pittsburgh for a chance at another cup then Vancouver would be the perfect team for him to do that. 

Obviously the guy who could make this happen more than anyone else is Jim Rutherford. This would definitely be a BOLD move. One for the ages really. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Since it's all speculation on what he will or won't do, he could easily be the type of character leader that sees the writing on the wall and wants to help his team out by gaining some future assets for their future, all while getting another crack or two at a cup. 

Eh, if you see it that way I respect it. But I don't see players, particularly top players who've spent lots of time with a single franchise, not wanting to leave as a lack of character. 

I remember seeing that we should trade the twins because it could have accomplished the same, I was always against it. Hank never had any interest in leaving either, despite never winning a cup as a Canuck and our being mediocre at the time. Crosby's been a Penguin through a lot of highs, I could very easily see him taking a similar approach to Henrik and Daniel through the lows. 

Some argue that he's a winner who wants to win more cups, I'd agree with part of that. Crosby is a winner, he's won pretty much everything he can, and he wants to win, the key difference is I reckon he wants to try to continue winning as a Penguin. 

Letang just re-upped for another four years, Malkin was never going to play elsewhere and signed for another couple years. If Fluery hadn't been traded he'd probably have agreed to stick in Pittsburgh too. I don't see why Crosby would leave when his longtime running mates have chosen to stay. 

Crosby isn't going to sit on his laurels, he's showing that this season, but I just don't see him leaving either. 

21 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Crosby doesnt strike me as the guy who is satisfied with 3 cups. He wants to keep winning…. Now that doesnt mean he would want to leave Shittsburgh, but the writing is on the walls. If Guentzel gets moved its clear they are taking a step backwards. If thats the case then Crosby is going to have to be prepared to kiss his chances of one final cup goodbye. The organization needs to rebuild at some point, it doesnt appear that they have much in the prospect pipe line and they are held together by a 30+ club. Dubas thought Karlsson would put them over the top, but it would only give hope for a very short window, that short window has already begun closing. Crosby is an asset that would net a fairly good return to help retool sooner than later. But Crosby doesnt strike me as the type to want to leave either…

Three cups is more than most players win, but that doesn't mean he's going to stop trying as mentioned above. But I reckon that he'll continue trying as a Penguin. All players want to win at the end of the day. 

I think Guentzel cannibalizes Jeff Carter's cap space and ends up staying. I think there's a better chance he stays than there is of him leaving.

Maybe, but I think Crosby would stay nonetheless. 

The rebuild post-Crosby/Malkin/Letang was always going to be ugly, no bones about it, but after everything those three have accomplished as Pens I think they're also in a place as an organization that they'd happily let all three ride out their twilight years as Penguins. If they are trending towards a rebuild, drafting in the middle of the pack, and placing emphasis on integrating prospects than I'd argue they'd be hard pressed to find better mentors for the next wave of Penguins than Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. 

Maybe, but more than likely Dubas knew coming in that he was getting into this sort of scenario. Dubas is the GM but what those three players mean to the Pittsburgh franchise is on another level imo, how many trios have seen a single franchise through so much success? Their legacy in Pittsburgh has been cemented since their back to back cup wins. 

I don't think he will, nor do I think he should. Seeing Crosby in another NHL uniform would be wrong. 

20 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Not saying it wasn’t worth it but don’t kid yourself. It’s over. It’s time for them to move on.

They may not be a contender over the remainder of Crosby's career but I do reckon moving on and being more of a playoff hopeful would still involve them icing Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. 

12 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Me what we need is two solid hard to play against wingers.

My two picks that wouldn't cost us young stars are

Maroon and

Josh Anderson.

Our D group is big and then our forwards would be more bang and crash.

Wear em down and let our stars win games.

I think Greenway is a serious possibility 

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, Tofu_Bud said:

I think Greenway is a serious possibility 

Wouldn't mind that.  Having Greenway out one shift and then Joshua out the next would be a headache for other teams.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Crosby would put us over the top and make us the Stanley Cup favourites. Plus he would teach our players how to win. 

IF Crosby did want to leave Pittsburgh for a chance at another cup then Vancouver would be the perfect team for him to do that. 

Obviously the guy who could make this happen more than anyone else is Jim Rutherford. This would definitely be a BOLD move. One for the ages really. 

Would be similar to Borque going to COL.   Difference of course, Borque hadnt' won  a cup yet. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Would be similar to Borque going to COL.   Difference of course, Borque hadnt' won  a cup yet. 

True. Crosby might want to emulate Messier, who won a cup with a different team. Gretzky almost did it with LA. Patrick Roy did it with Colorado. Scott Niedermayer as well with Anaheim. Pretty sure Niedermayer was the captain in New Jersey for his final year.  Roy and Niedermayer both won cups with their original team before going elsewhere. 

Crosby has 2 choices. He can either stay in Pittsburgh and ride out his contract and maybe sign an extension just to retire a Penguin, or he can go to a team like Vancouver and take a shot at another cup or 2. I think Crosby is smart enough to know he won’t win any more cups in Pittsburgh. So it just depends if he wants to tamper with his legacy in Pittsburgh or not. Mario Lemieux retired a Penguin. Maybe Crosby will do the same thing. 

My gut tells me though that Crosby wants to win another cup. Lemieux was forced to retire. Crosby is still a top player in the NHL. Could be for 3-4 more years. 

If I was Allvin I’d be all in to be honest. Vancouver had a shot, even 2 shots, at Gretzky. Crosby could be a great consolation prize. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pettersson   Miller      Boeser 

Guentzel      Crosby   Mikheyev 

If we are getting Crosby might as well get Guentzel too and go ALL IN. Pretty sure that would be the best top 6 in the NHL. 

This is a cup winning top 6

• ThereItIs 1

I would trade Mikheyev before Kuzmenko. Ilya has more years in nhl but Kuz scored 39 last year and removing a goal scorer like Kuz this tel while trying to go on a long playoff run, not a good idea in my mind.

Mikheyev might gain some speed next year, if he ever gets that top end speed back after his knee injury…