[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

6 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

I love how all of a sudden Brzustewicz is an overpayment.  

This was a solid deal.  We got the best player in the trade and that's all that matters.

Not always. 

Think Lindros. 

Anyway, if Brzustewicz continues developing the way he has, he could possibly turn out to be the best of the bunch. He did just turn 19. 

Either way, let's hope Lindholm picks his game up. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If he regains a 40 goal pace this definitely a rental... but if he regains a 40 goal pace we might just win a Cup.  Then nothing else matters.

Depends. He only has 9 goals. He likely ends in the high 20s. 

I would probably look to get a deal done sooner than later. Sell him on the idea of being on a contending team. 

Would probably have to move Garland but we got youngsters in the wings and Hog has taken strides. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 2

Just now, HKSR said:

Here we go again lol

Monahan will cost a 1st if there’s a bidding war which there will most certainly be now that we have Lindholm.

He has more points than Lindholm (Lindholm still is the better player) as well as having a lower cap. Monahan will be very attractive. 

• Upvote 2

If we win the cup this will be worth it.  Otherwise I think its a fail.

There are so many guys to resign - Petey, Hronek, Boeser (next year), Joshua...etc.... I don't see how adding Lindholm to the list helps with everything.

We got OEL dead cap coming in at $5M x 2 in 2026 - 2027.  

I don't see how trading top picks / prospects is the right move.  People can crap all over Hunter B, but the fact was we were all very excited about him up until yesterday.

Personally I like Garland but at this point I think we have to pay more even draft capital to get him and Mik off the books in order to resign our major core pieces.  We are going to be very depleted.  

6 minutes ago, Pycnotic said:

They beat Edmonton that year for the cup, they won the cup the year they made that trade 

no, they didn't...he was traded for the 1999-2000 season, the canes lost to the wings in 2001-02 during our lidstrom halfway killer playoffs and they didn't win until 05-06 over the oilers ...

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sergiomomesso said:

When you’re a buyer, playing hardball doesn’t necessarily work very well. Unless there are no other buyers or the market is saturated with the product your looking for. 

Hardball would work if we took it down to the TDL wire but if you want to go out and get your guy, you’re going to pay a price.  

Some people had a similar reaction to landing Hronek last year - hopefully we have a similar result on the ice.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A B prospect, a C prospect, a late 1st and a conditional 4th.

What exactly was too much there?

You realize this is the cost of doing business for a top trade target. Especially to get ahead of the rest of the market.

It’s too much for a team entering their first post season together, wish we kept it low key this tdl to keep these assets for future years when we are more of a contender not a pretender with regular season success

5 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

We also freed up iver 5 mil of cap space next year which we may need to keep the bottom six intact.  This may be the most important part of this deal.

Yeah that is huge 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

I have to disagree brother, what has happened in the past has nothing to with this particular trade.

If we don't win the cup and Lindholm doesn't resign with us, then we have given up a very promising RHD, they are precious things, a puck moving D-man who is in track for 87 assists alone this year.

A first rounder in a draft where after the top ten at most, this draft is a lottery, that pick has the chance to be a solid pick, even picking later.

I have put a lot of effort in studying prospects for this draft, as I have for the last few years.

There is one particular player I am really hoping that will slip due to injury. 

Admittedly Kuzzy has been a disappointment this year however he was rounding out his game.

As for Jurmo, for sure he doesn't seem to be panning out yet.

So if we don't resign him and we don't win the cup, what have we gained ?

We're not talking Cam Neely and a 1st for Pederson.

It's a late 1st round pick at best bottom half 1st round pick.

Kuz is struggling. Lindholm fills a need. A guy who is great on faceoffs, and plays center and wing.

The risk is Hunter B.

That's the piece I think Calgary needed to pull off the trade.

Besides I doubt JR and PA made this deal without talking with Lindholm's agent. So they probably have a good idea what he's looking for.

Is there risk? Yes.

Looks like a hockey trade to a division rival.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

He is about to play on our top six.  If he can't score at an 80 point pace then we are in trouble.

There’s only so much cap space to go around.  Canucks have EP, Hronek, Zad, Lindholm, Joshua, etc.  Something has got to give.