[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

54 minutes ago, HKSR said:

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2022/6/15/23169593/game-1-preview-stanley-cup-final-colorado-avalanche-tampa-bay-lightning

Tampa Bay Lightning had Brayden Point on their "3rd Line"... see?  This is the problem, that's not a 3rd line.  That's a 2B Line at worst.  Stanley Cup finalist with a $9.5M player on the 3rd line?  NO WAY!  WTF?!  

We just haven't had this kinda strong depth in a LONG time... so it's weird to see this in our lineup.  Top teams have this kinda situation all the time.  In fact, when the Blues won their Cup, they had Stastny making $6M or $7M something like that on their "4th Line".

Edit:  Sorry it was Steen, not Stastny -- $5.75M on their 4th line:

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nhl/boston-bruins/2019-stanley-cup-final-projected-lines-pairings-for-bruins-vs-blues-game-1/327083/

You can’t say Braydon Point is a 3rd liner because the coach put him on the 3rd line in a playoff game. That’s pretty dumb. Did Braydon Point play on the 3rd line during the regular season?  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Anyone know why we felt the need to acquire another Top 6 Centermen? I mean, we just got rid of a top 6 winger, no?

Lindholm is versatile. He doesn't NEED to be at center. The idea is him and Petey as a combo means we win more faceoffs and they should in theory play well together. They are both opposite hands. Lindholm is right handed Petey is left. They can take draws on their strong side. 

Edmonton has 3 top 6 centers. It gives them freedom to switch up as needed. Difference is we have Demko and Huggy behind them.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You can’t say Braydon Point is a 3rd liner because the coach put him on the 3rd line in a playoff game. That’s pretty dumb. Did Braydon Point play on the 3rd line during the regular season?  

Look at that lineup though... one of those high paid players is gonna be on the "3rd line".  Yet they are a cup finalist.

1 hour ago, oregon.duck said:

Lol no. We need a big bodied top-6 center now more than we need a small bodied offensive defenseman in 3 years. We have Hughes. We only have room for 1. Remember Rathboner and how we really wanted him to work out. Hunter is VERY similar. 

While I don't disagree with you that Hunter may not work out, he is a 6'0 190 lbs 19 year old RH shot who's putting up the points in a big way.  If he was 165 lbs, I'd completely agree with you but give him 3 years and he's over 200 lbs which puts him in a very capable frame for the NHL.  If he doesn't turn out to be an NHL player, it's likely due to poor defensive play or his skating.  These I'm not sure of.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why you guys keep going back and forth.  Mikheyev plays in the top 6, Garland does not.  Tocchet tried to play Garland in the top 6 but it doesn't work because he hogs the puck which doesn't work if you are playing with Miller or Petey.  He is very good on the 3rd line, I have no problem with him on there.  But he is not cost efficient at $5 million.  If Garland was getting paid $3 million he would be fine as a long term fit on the 3rd line.  Blueger has also been playing great, but Suter was our 3rd line centre before he got injured and I think Suter can easily replace Blueger on that line as well, which is why I don't think we are going to re-sign Blueger who is having a career year and probably wants $3 million.  FYI, Blueger was not even a roster player for Vegas last season, he was an extra in the playoffs.

As for Mikheyev, he is more valuable than Garland because he can do much more at a cheaper price.  Tocchet is playing him in the top 6, however he can also play on the 3rd or even 4th line.  He plays the 2nd unit PP and he is also one of our 6 PK'ers.  So he does alot more and is over $1 million cheaper.  Eventually, we will phase Mikheyev out as guys like Podkolzin and Lekkerimaki come on the team, but he is fine for the next 2 years.

Bottom line, is that we will not be able to afford all of our UFA's this summer, so JR/PA will be prioritizing.  I think the first priority will be Lindholm, especially considering the price we paid for him, then Joshua, then Zadorov, then DeSmith.  I think those are the 4 key guys we want back to make another run.  Blueger, Lafferty, Cole and Myers are luxury items that we may not be able to afford and may have to replace with other UFA's.  100% Podkolzin will be on the team, so he will take up a roster spot.  Also, if Allvin wants to re-sign those 4 guys, then he 100% needs to make a trade.  I think Garland would be at the top of the list.  One year ago we were trying to trade him with a sweetener attached.  This summer we can probably get an asset back.  Best to trade high on Garland.  I think either Hoglander or Podkolzin will be the ones replacing him at a fraction of the cost...

The one intangible with Garland that I like is that he puts our potent PP into action pretty frequently.  In the playoffs that will be huge.  

I don't mind Mikheyev, but he's less noticeable to me.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

I can see both Mik and/or Garland being traded next year.  Provided that Bains and/or Podz step it up and make the team.

I don’t think we can even consider re-signing everyone if we don’t move one. Garland has been amazing. I’d move Mikheyev unless he really steps back up. 

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Lindholm, Petterson, and Miller all play either wing or centre.  

Another centre gives the coach a crap ton of options to mix and match lines to find chemistry.

Also, Petterson is only signed for the rest of the season.  We now have a back up plan in case Petey doesn’t want to extend long term.  Lindholm with comfort here and the ability to add an extra year to a deal gives us a big hand up in signing him.

Petey is an RFA at the end of the season, not a UFA. 

39 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Not saying he is not a great fit. Just wondering why we need another centremen when we have 2 already. 

If we are good with the two we have, would we not want to find replacements for Kuz and possibly a winger other then Suter? 

How about this? 

Writing a fairy tale here but say we're up by 1 in the final 48 seconds of a Stanley cup deciding game. Our team is shorthanded and we are on a defensive zone draw. Other team has the goalie pulled to make it a 6 on 4. Faceoff is on the right dot. Every other centre on this team is left handed. Who do we send out there? 

I would think in this situation, it would be Lindholm taking the draw. Dependable 2 way centre and selke runner up with a 55 percent draw rate on his strong side for the draw and pk

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

The one intangible with Garland that I like is that he puts our potent PP into action pretty frequently.  In the playoffs that will be huge.  

You'd have to be blind to not see that! 

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm game lol.  Whatcha got in mind?

If Mikheyev gets traded before Garland I will change my avatar to a Garland pic for 3 months. If Garland gets traded before Mikheyev then you need to put a Mikheyev avatar on your profile for 3 months. If neither get traded we don’t need to do anything. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Lindholm is versatile. He doesn't NEED to be at center. The idea is him and Petey as a combo means we win more faceoffs and they should in theory play well together. They are both opposite hands. Lindholm is right handed Petey is left. They can take draws on their strong side. 

Edmonton has 3 top 6 centers. It gives them freedom to switch up as needed. Difference is we have Demko and Huggy behind them.

the most positive thing i have seen you posted, not saying you dont post positive things... just saying it looks good on you...

Lets Go Crazy Yes GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

Just now, CanucksJay said:

How about this? 

Writing a fairy tale here but say we're up by 1 in the final 48 seconds of a Stanley cup deciding game. Our team is shorthanded and we are on a defensive zone draw. Other team has the goalie pulled to make it a 6 on 4. Faceoff is on the right dot. Every other centre on this team is left handed. Who do we send out there? 

Myers :frantic:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

For the record, I am not discounting in the slightest the absolutely AWESOME season the Canucks are having nor the fact they have 5 (now 6) All Stars at this coming ASG, I wish it included Honker at the very least. Just pointing out a historical fact and the "distinction" some are making about this year and 1986.

To me the Canucks 2023 - 2024 are on the cusp of greatness, at least in the eyes of Canuck fans, and we all hope our dreams are not just the wisp of dawn hovering just out of reach promising a new day only to be dashed with a game 7 loss. 

Of course our dreams will be dashed. It’s in the handbook.

42 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Petey is a 200' centreman...

Lindholm will probably take the draws and then fall back to wing.

Lots of options, versatile forward group, lots of hybrid centres/wingers is a great "problem" to have 

Just seems odd that we continue to get other players to take face offs for our #1 Centerman. 

14 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Garland doesn’t play on the first unit PP. Garland and Mikheyev both play on the second unit. Garland only has one power play point this year, an assist. His shooting percentage is terrible at just over 7%. He takes a lot of shots and they almost never go in. 

Mikheyev isn’t any better on the PP but his shooting percentage is almost 11% and at least he kills penalties. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Mikheyev gets traded before Garland I will change my avatar to a Garland pic for 3 months. If Garland gets traded before Mikheyev then you need to put a Mikheyev avatar on your profile for 3 months. If neither get traded we don’t need to do anything. 

ill take those odds too... friendly bet... put it in our sigs??