[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

30 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Didn't score enough... like 8 goals in 7 games... 

Tim Thomas, Roberto Luongo, Injuries, weird NHL rulings, diving, Marchand etc etc etc... In the end we just didn't score enough goals. 

Still hurts to think about...

The Rome suspension was really deflating too. He was steady on the back end. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I imagine once he's signed a new deal next year he stops listening to the coaches again.

That makes a lot of sense, I'm sure he hates playing well and can't wait to forget everything he's learned.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Tim Thomas, Roberto Luongo, Injuries, weird NHL rulings, diving, Marchand etc etc etc... In the end we just didn't score enough goals. 

Yea and Tim Thomas was the reason we couldn’t score. He stole a goal a game average in that 7 game series. He was the best player by far and its too bad he couldnt have 1 bad game. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Coryberg said:

That makes a lot of sense, I'm sure he hates playing well and can't wait to forget everything he's learned.

Well maybe he doesn't, but he sure wasn't being a great student of the game previous to this season. In fact he was benched and publicly called out by the coaches earlier this season before really dialing it in.

Okay, so maybe he's still super dedicated next year. Still way to many red flags for me not to look for a better defender for all the reasons I listed. I don't know why people can't be open minded. I think there are better defenders out there myself, it's not Myers or bust imo. Put it this way, Hronek is a player I'm 95% on them bringing back next year. Myers should be at 25%, if we simply can't find an upgrade then sure I guess, he's passable maybe. One little thing happens to upset team chemistry and we all go back to trying to offload him again. Where is the benefit in that?

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Your hate is showing.  Horvat is a near ppg.  He’s doing his part.

He's doing great, definitely earning his 8.5m. 5 years from now is going to be the problem, but they will be rebuilding by then so I guess it isn't a huge deal.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, tas said:

the stats are literally meaningless and devoid of context without watching. you don't even know the actual "what" let alone the "why". 

Did I just read someone post that they don't need to watch hockey because they can watch a spreadsheet after the game?

Omg this world has gone to sh!t hasn't it lol. That might be the poorest and most sad thing I've read on here in a long time. 😮‍💨

Kids this days ... why comment on something you know nothing about, and don't care enough about to actually watch it. And then feel the need to comment on it.

I mean hell I think I might load up a Wikipedia page and drop by the dance studio this afternoon and go tell some 20 year ballet dancers what they're doing wrong. Haha, oh man crazy stuff.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

• Honkin Hronek changed the title to [Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th
18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Did I just read someone post that they don't need to watch hockey because they can watch a spreadsheet after the game?

Omg this world has gone to sh!t hasn't it lol. That might be the poorest and most sad thing I've read on here in a long time. 😮‍💨

Kids this days ... why comment on something you know nothing about, and don't care enough about to actually watch it. And then feel the need to comment on it.

I mean hell I think I might load up a Wikipedia page and drop by the dance studio this afternoon and go tell some 20 year ballet dancers what they're doing wrong. Haha, oh man crazy stuff.

yeah I could almost see the rest of the "analytics community" all slap their foreheads at the same time and go "come on, bro, don't sell us out like that!" since he proudly owned up to the exact thing they all claim not to do. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Unfortunately former management blew our cap situation to hell so it's just a reality we're dealing with. The m

COVID flattened the cap, not Benning. COVID has 100% had the biggest impact on the cap. That is no fault of anyones and contracts handed out prior to that impacted by inflation and the cap never moving to catch up to inflation.

OEL doesnt affect us today, it affects us tomorrow, that was a PA and JR choice to buyout instead of move Myers.

PA signed 2 players to 10.25mil in cap that have underperformed and not produced

This management group has made plenty of their own choices that have impacted their own cap space. However thanks to all these contracts that Pettersson, Demko, Miller, Hughes, Boeser, Garland (Horvat at the time) it has given us plenty of cap space to build this roster to the depth that PA and JR have been able to in a flat and very slowly rising cap climate. This team hasnt lost a single star player to the cap. Edmonton is heading for hell shortly when Draisaitl gets paid his value, Toronto is about to lose a star player, plenty of teams around the league are about start suffering the consequences of COVIDs impact. We dealt with our losses early and no offence to Tanev, Toffoli and Markstrom, they are a lot easier to find and replace.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This is true,  and we're seeing it already with Garland for example.  

The other thing we consistently see with contending teams in the modern NHL era,  is guys in the bottom 6 outperforming their contracts/pay scales and then getting grossly overpaid for salary/term in subsequent seasons - Allvin needs to carefully and astutely avoid this trap as we have several contracts ending as everyone knows already.  Allvin said he's aware of the potential for a 'one-and-done' season so I'm confident he has a plan and will allocate his money appropriately. 

Ya, if we have an extended run especially.  Players from winning teams find themselves in demand.

There is a good reason why we want to be all in this season.  We hit the jackpot on some bottom six players on efficient contracts outperforming expectations.  Not every player will have a career year every year.  We will see some of them move on and there is no guarantee we can find replacements who can contribute and fit as well for the same dollars.

It is really probable that Joshua, Blueger, Cole, etc can leverage this year into significantly bigger contracts with term attached.  We love what they brought, but their value was in their cheap contracts.  Joshua on a $3.5 million x 4 year deal is not the same value.  He has earned some team offering him a contract in that range and we don’t want to be that team.

Suter on a two year deal gives us some breathing room as he seems like he will provide surplus value.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Ya, if we have an extended run especially.  Players from winning teams find themselves in demand.

There is a good reason why we want to be all in this season.  We hit the jackpot on some bottom six players on efficient contracts outperforming expectations.  Not every player will have a career year every year.  We will see some of them move on and there is no guarantee we can find replacements who can contribute and fit as well for the same dollars.

It is really probable that Joshua, Blueger, Cole, etc can leverage this year into significantly bigger contracts with term attached.  We love what they brought, but their value was in their cheap contracts.  Joshua on a $3.5 million x 4 year deal is not the same value.  He has earned some team offering him a contract in that range and we don’t want to be that team.

Suter on a two year deal gives us some breathing room as he seems like he will provide surplus value.

Yea lets blow the bank and sell the future for a good run and hope we win in our prime. Lets go full Mike Gillis and fuck the future. Brilliant. You know an offer that parts ways with some of the future for a guy like Eriksson Ek extends our window, where as this pending UFA Lindholm deal shortens it. Upcoming raises for Lindholm, Pettersson, Hronek, 4mil in dead cap during our window to win… fucking brilliant.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya this is the major concern for me this offseason. Petey and Hronek will get done. But can we keep Joshua and Blueger to deals that make sense. It would suck to lose that third line, but we can't overpay bottom 6 guys. Suter gives us leverage on Blueger. Joshua as a big body will be in demand. Would be nice if we could re-sign both to contracts at or below 2.5m, but don't think I'd go above for either. At that stage would be better to extend a Lindholm and ride the top 6 more.

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea lets blow the bank and sell the future for a good run and hope we win in our prime. Lets go full Mike Gillis and fuck the future. Brilliant. You know an offer that parts ways with some of the future for a guy like Eriksson Ek extends our window, where as this pending UFA Lindholm deal shortens it. Upcoming raises for Lindholm, Pettersson, Hronek, 4mil in dead cap during our window to win… fucking brilliant.

You are very aggressive over this. We haven't sold our future. We kept onto our top 5 prospects. The one we traded we sold high on, who even if he hits what we all hoped he would, would be stalled behind the guys ahead of him that are better at the offesnive game he thrives in. 

We traded away a late first that rarely becomes anything for this franchise. 

We are still positioned well to replace those that walk. Cap goes up 4 million next year and Myers inflated contract is gone. Lots of money to go around, sure we need to make choices but everyone does in the cap world. By the time OEL's dead cap hits 4 mil the year after the cap will have raised another 4 mil. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Yep, that was a massive problem... as the rest of the team was done by injuries...

Funny thing was, Rome was the whipping boy, while here, but despite being vilified his suspensions the final nail in the coffin.

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea and Tim Thomas was the reason we couldn’t score. He stole a goal a game average in that 7 game series. He was the best player by far and its too bad he couldnt have 1 bad game. 

Yep... he was definitely one of the major reasons...

Often wished they had run him a couple of times, but bar Torres we struggled to cope physically.... Just to let him be concerned about himself for a change...

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Doesnt mean we couldnt have done it back. To blame the reffs on why we got shut out at home in game 7, stomped in every single game on the road with more power plays, its a bit of an odd statement to make if we “got more power plays because we deserved more power plays” so were the reffs calling shit or not? Let it go, move on, the true issues were health as you mentioned and ultimately the biggest factor was Tim Thomas who had a legendary performance the entire playoff run. He had like 23GSAA and in the finals i believe he had 8GSAA in a 7 game series and Luongo had like a -6 or -7GSAA. Thomas stole 8 goals from us, Luongo handed them 6 or 7 weak ones. Luongo sucked. Health was secondary to Luongo as to why we lost. Even with our banged up roster we out hit, out shot, out won draws, literally everything except goals.

Bud it was a throwaway line that had nothing to do with the main point of what I was saying.  Someone needs to let it go, but it isn’t me.

• ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Raty has 25 points in 40 games.  That's not bad for his first full season in the AHL.  Next year will be his big year I think.  This management group isn't going to give up on their young players as easily as the past management group.  

Raty is still only 20. That would be a silly move, plus a 2nd, for an aging Tanev, who's a UFA. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

It wasn’t just Hamhuis that was significantly hampered/injured against the Bruins in that series.

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Just have to make me feel sad on a Fri morning Eh!

• Huggy Bear 2

1 hour ago, tas said:

yeah I could almost see the rest of the "analytics community" all slap their foreheads at the same time and go "come on, bro, don't sell us out like that!" since he proudly owned up to the exact thing they all claim not to do. 

you still going off friend... give me and the thread a break... only a fool like me would get trolled by someone like you

Still annoys the absolute shit out of me that Rome got 4 games for a clean that would've been a non issue if Horton didn't admire his pass, and Boychuk got nothing for folding Raymond like a lawn chair completely away from the play breaking his back. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

11 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Lets see how they do in the playoffs before we crown them the best team in Canucks history. The Bruins last season was supposed to be an all time team until they got their ass whipped.

I am very optimistic about this year too but this is just it, until we see how this team plays through adversity(i.e. injuries, bad officiating, heavy physical play etc.) we will not know their potential. 

The one thing I do know is that RT is giving them all the tools to succeed and is preparing them for what they might encounter. 

We have made mental mistakes in the past, we have been pushed around in the playoffs before, we have been on the wrong end of bad calls by the refs before.

RT has watched them make mistakes and then worked on correcting them. They are basically running like a well oiled machine and it is a system that they can continue to use in the playoffs and be successful. 

The one key issue we have in our favor right now is that I believe we have true "Gamers" on this team who are destined to do great things in the playoffs. Hogs, Miller, Demko and Hughes, to name a few, can turn it up and be real difference makers when it counts.

TBH, I can't think of one thing we can complain about this team right now, from the players, coaches, managers right down to the depth in the minors. 

Not only do we have the skill this time but we now have the mental and physical toughness as well as the expertise and experience of people who HAVE WON it before and know what it takes to get there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Still annoys the absolute shit out of me that Rome got 4 games for a clean that would've been a non issue if Horton didn't admire his pass, and Boychuk got nothing for folding Raymond like a lawn chair completely away from the play breaking his back. 

Yeah the officiating really felt 1-sided. I even tried to look at things from a neutral standpoint afterwards and it still felt 1-sided.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3