[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, we didn't combat what they threw at us. Reminded me of how Florida came up short last year. They couldn't adjust. Not exactly the same but reminiscent.

Didn't Tanner Glass miss a super wide open net at a crucial time too?

Yep. That's when the nickname "Fanner Glass" was born. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Great points! Agree with you. Especially the last paragraph with the core.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous after 50 years, and nearly a decade of Benning, that people keep expecting fans to wait another 5+ years, even more, when we're ready to go now!

THIS is what we've been already waiting for with this core! Time is now and thankfully this management knows it and is actively working to make it happen with the addition of Lindholm without giving up our blue chips for the future.

Some fans would have us waiting and waiting and waiting for some magical perfect scenario that may or may not happen when that scenario is right in front of us, that began years and years ago.

It's all happened much sooner than people predicted. That's a good thing! 

Yes exactly... 

You make your own luck, or at least help it along the way...

What's the point of drafting star players if not going for it? 

Imagine Blackhawks saying, we better wait because Toews and Kane are you young and we may need to get stronger?

When you have the wind in your sails you use it to your advantage.... Don't wait for it to maybe change to a more favourable direction. 

We have been unhappy about sucking for the last 12 years, and now the players produced as a result of sucking are top of the league.

They wanna win now. Not tomorrow or next year, or in 3 years... NOW...

Players want to win... they are getting paid well, but they are still in it to be the best they can be.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Injuries and Tim Thomas is why we lost. We had more powerplays in the series, we had 8 in game 3 and gave up 2 shorties and we had 2 PPs to Bostons 1 in game 7. Enough with the reff bullshit, we lost because of health and poor goaltending.

I hope Demko never has Luongo’s career, I hope its better and he doesnt fall a part like Luongo in the playoffs. 

Well to be honest, we may have had more PP's but they were pretty much gifted when the games were already out of reach.

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I just went to look at the trade and was kind of questioning your statement. They only paid a first, and conditional 3rd (2027) right?

However, I forgot to factor in that Montreal's first is worth far more than ours though. They still paid less though I think as we also included Brusty and Kuz.

Meh, it seems fair on both accounts. I do think Monahan is a great pickup though for the Jets.

Exactly. Both trades seem fair to all parties. Definitely agree with that. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, we didn't combat what they threw at us. Reminded me of how Florida came up short last year. They couldn't adjust. Not exactly the same but reminiscent.

Can't remember if he did, but the game wasn't decided by one open net... 

The team didn't/couldn't adjust to the game Bruins was playing.

When our goal scoring dried up and the PP in particular didn't work, we were finished.

This is, where I think this team is better... We don't live and die by our PP... This team has lots of ways to win, and despite us struggling against Flyers and Blues, I believe we are able to play against heavier team as well. Getting Lindholm will definitely help us in that department. Still think we could do with a hard nosed knuckle dragging winger, but can live without if needed... 

Lets go for it...

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm not even sure why teams bother to employ pro scouting and video departments anymore when pulling up a WAR chart will tell a team everything they need to know about their matchups.  

Oh man those charts are hilarious. It looks like someone just hits the randomize button and voila, player explained.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

fanner glass would never do that!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

I get the hesitation though. This turnaround has been so fast, and so un-Canuck-like, that I am finding it hard to 100% buy in that this is a really good team. I mean, they sure look like it, and they have the best record in the league over more than half a season... it can't be a fluke, can it? The jaded old Canuck fan in me keeps thinking the bottom could fall out of this season still. 

Having said that, I'm 90% confident that this train is going to keep on rolling right in to a great playoff run, and this is the most fun I've had watching the team probably ever, even more than 2010/2011. I'm older now and really appreciate how rarely a team gets this kind of chance to compete for a cup.

I get being jaded. I'm getting older myself. It's been a lot of heartbreak. I get the hesitation, too, but so much talk on here was wrong about this team. That was a good thing. I've said it before, people need to be able to recognize when things are changing for the better rather than just parroting the same old doom and gloom.

It wasn't just all of a sudden. It's not a fluke. The signs were there yet people made it seem like we were years away from being good. At some point Petey, Brock, Demko, and Hughes, even Miller, were going to break out together. We're seeing that now. 

It's ok to believe. I'd rather go all in, buy in, and swing for the fence by doing everything possible to win rather than sitting and waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting. 

40 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sorry but Pearson, Dickinson, OEL, Boeser, Myers, and Garland, added up to over $30 mil. Certainly that impacts the cap Covid or no Covid. We paid dearly to get out of 2 of them and Pearson impacted us until we traded him, regardless of that his contract was good value. That's why new management's hands were tied the last couple of years until the OEL buyout. We're facing steep cap concerns moving forward as well. That's a fact.

For where the team was at we shouldn't have been spending to the cap limit the last 5 years or so. I liked Benning but I didn't like the way he pushed the cap so far with a mediocre team that should have been eyeing the future instead of a Cinderella run.

Dickinson?? Not here.

Pearson?? Got us a legit back up, so thank you Pearson.

Boeser? 30 goals? You’re complaining?

Myers? Our best shutdown dman this season? Your complaining? You go compare his contract, his deployment and his production to guys around the league and Myers looks like a fuckin allstar, there plenty of guys with his cap hit +/- 1-2mil who are doing far less than him. Yet you complain like hes holding us back right now. This management group could have traded him at 50% retention or dumped him with a 2nd round pick been done with him and any dead cap in under 2 years and not bought out OEL whos dead cap is going to hit us during our peak window of contention.

Garland is 50pt guy and right now on 3rd line duties hes still producing at around 50pts PLUS his line has been crucial in our success this season. Top lines have struggled and the Garland line has been getting us wins. Take Garland away and that 3rd line loses its impact quick and thats easily 4-5 more games that could go either way and a handful more that would have been a lot tighter.

If you go back and really dig into the stats, you’ll see that the major issue that caused us grief in finding success was not having our top players playing their best hockey at the same time.

2021-22 Pettersson pointless 24 of the first 40 games. Missed playoffs by 3 wins and iirc of those 24 losses 22 were in regulation. Pettersson was a factor in our wins and non factor in our losses. He was a critical piece that prevented us from winning for over 1/4 of the season. That stretch of hockey under Boudreau was the truth about this teams potential. As soon as Petey caught fire we had EVERYONE playing their best and we were one of the best teams down the final 50 game stretch.

2022-23 its no secret Demko sucked to start and then got injured and Martin destroyed all hopes of playoffs. Demko came back and boom its back to winning.

this is the first season the stars have all aligned and it wasnt cap or shit like that, that was the issue it was performance based issues from star players.

42 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

....but didn't we have a couple of the best players in the league and one of the most potent Power plays at the time? :classic_biggrin:

Yes… they just had the best PKer and best goalie that whole season. Best penalty killer is your goalie…. Tim Thomas stole that series 100%

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Bingo....

Keep saying it over and over again... Gotta strike while the iron is hot...

Any of our star players could get an injury (god forbid), and we witnessed how long it took for Brock to come back properly after hitting the open door.

Or they could just lose form... it happens.

They are all playing well, and if Demmer becomes bubble Demko, we have as big a chance as any, if not bigger.

So let's go and win this thing. Some still worry about the future and rightfully so, but there has to be a middle ground, where we show how much we believe in this team....or not.

If we don't go for it now, what signal does it send to our star players? "We don't think you are good enough, so we wait...?" 

No wonder if they'd rather seek elsewhere or seek the $'s...

Good points!

We've had very good fortunes this season regarding injuries specifically.   The only meaningful player to miss a lengthy stretch has been Soucy if I recall correctly.   Even the goaltending tandem has been exceptionally healthy.   When is the last time this club could say they've been essentially all healthy (again,  talking about meaningful players, not fringe guys) at the all star break?  And that's not even mentioning the career year several guys are on pace for.......these factors seldom line up for teams in this league,  for Management NOT to recognize this and keep waiting for 'next season' would be an injustice to ownership,  players and fans alike  -  luckily JR/Allvin know this judging by their moves!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Good points!

We've had very good fortunes this season regarding injuries specifically.   The only meaningful player to miss a lengthy stretch has been Soucy if I recall correctly.   Even the goaltending tandem has been exceptionally healthy.   When is the last time this club could say they've been essentially all healthy (again,  talking about meaningful players, not fringe guys) at the all star break?  And that's not even mentioning the career year several guys are on pace for.......these factors seldom line up for teams in this league,  for Management NOT to recognize this and keep waiting for 'next season' would be an injustice to ownership,  players and fans alike  -  luckily JR/Allvin know this judging by their moves!

Yes the Canucks and injuries normally goes hand in hand... but this season seems different... 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Well to be honest, we may have had more PP's but they were pretty much gifted when the games were already out of reach.

Well considering game 3 it was 0-0 after 20 mins and we had 3 powerplays to Bostons 1 PP in the 2nd and we were outscored 4-0 that theory goes out the window. Gave up a shorty on our PP to boot.

lost 8-1 gave up 2 shorties and 2 PPgs (one in the last 30 seconds)

game 4 4-0 loss

2 PPs in the first for us, none Boston

down 1-0

2nd period  both teams had 2 PPs no goals. Down 3-0 after 2. PPs favoured us 4-2 in a tight game. Couldnt get one by Tim Thomas. 3rd period was a parade to the box 40PIMS for Boston 26 for Van. Total PPs for Van 6, Boston 4.

Game 6 they scored 4 goals in a 4 minute 14 second span in the 1st period. 
PPs 6-5 In favour of Van, Boston scored 2 on the PP and we had 1. They had 1 PPG in the 1st and we are already down 2-0 by then. 

35 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well yeah it does of course. Watching games is a thing of the past. The new super kids just download quick spreadsheets into their onboard memory chips. You basically watch the entire games in less than a second. Saves a lot of time for the necessities of life like upvoting and downvoting utube, and watching TikTok videos.

I love making the "well why even watch the games anymore" comments anytime people just spam out their stupid WAR charts in discussions. Like, I get the usefulness of analytics. But damn, the eye test still matters. Lindholm's WAR chart is probably ass, but I mean. Can that be attributed to Calgary being a tire fire? They also don't tell you how that player will play in a new situation, so it's not representative of how they'll look in a different environment.

Like the people that stat watched Miller and said "we gave up a 1st rounder for a 3rd liner?" No, we gave up a 1st rounder for a top 6 player being used on a stacked team's 3rd line. Analytics have a place, but they are still 2nd to actually watching the games.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes exactly... 

You make your own luck, or at least help it along the way...

What's the point of drafting star players if not going for it? 

Imagine Blackhawks saying, we better wait because Toews and Kane are you young and we may need to get stronger?

When you have the wind in your sails you use it to your advantage.... Don't wait for it to maybe change to a more favourable direction. 

We have been unhappy about sucking for the last 12 years, and now the players produced as a result of sucking are top of the league.

They wanna win now. Not tomorrow or next year, or in 3 years... NOW...

Players want to win... they are getting paid well, but they are still in it to be the best they can be.

So very well said. Especially the wind at your sails analogy.

There's a real lesson to be learned if people choose to see it ... that nothing stays the same forever, that you can't have peaks without valleys, life ebbs and flows, and to know that the struggles and adversity you face in the present (the valley) are necessary and preparing you for the good to follow (the peak). 

What I'm trying to say is that what we saw and knew of the team in the past 7-8 years wasn't going to remain that way with all the talent we have. It never was going to remain negative. We just had to endure it.

That's why it's important to seize the day now to win. It is now! 

• Like 1

What I'm happy about is Kuz gets a new team and a fresh start.

Vancouver not only addresses a need, we get rid of a distraction (Coach vs. Kuz).

It will be interesting to see who gets new contracts and who goes. (I am going to try and stop using the term re-sign)

I think almost everyone has different players they think we should keep, and ones to let go.

The rest of the season, playoffs, and offseason will be wild.

Buckle up for the roller coaster.

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Yes… they just had the best PKer and best goalie that whole season. Best penalty killer is your goalie…. Tim Thomas stole that series 100%

Really when I look back at it, I don't really remember Thomas having to make too many stand on your head saves. Yes he played well, but we were out worked and out muscled for most of the series. Even the PP 's, where we should have dominated, we got outworked and muscled off the puck.

They found out very quickly that if you get in between the Sedins, you take away their strengths. No "Sedinery" happened in that series and I wouldn't give all the credit to Thomas for that either. They were shut down and the stats show that. In 7 games , Daniel had 0 PP goals and Hank had 1. 

We were faced with a lot of adversity and we were not able to over come them.

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

Problem is you'll never be able to replace a Hughes... it's like if Tampa lost Hedman, or VGK lost Pietrangelo, or Avs lost Makar.  No matter what you do, there's no way the Canucks or any team would be able to recover from it.  Even the 2011 team couldn't recover defensively when Hamhuis went down. 

What I do like about adding another high quality defenceman though is more depth.  Can never have enough top 4 type defencemen when it comes to a playoff push.  Losing Hronek shouldn't be the end of the world.  Losing Hughes would be no matter what we do.  No different than losing Demko.

You can’t fully replace him but you could mitigate damage atleast to some degree.  For example, Vegas has Theodore and Tampa has Sergachev.

While the Canucks do have Hronek, they currently would not be able to throw out a legit top pairing if Hughes were to go down with injury.  Hronek wouldn’t be able to carry Soucy, Zadorov, Cole, or Myers to play at that level.

So - while trading for a guy like Andersson (and giving up Lekkerimaki or Willander in the process) likely would be overkill, I think a deal in which the Canucks acquire someone like Tanev might make sense.

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Raty has 25 points in 40 games.  That's not bad for his first full season in the AHL.  Next year will be his big year I think.  This management group isn't going to give up on their young players as easily as the past management group.  

Gotta pay to play..

Keep guys like Bains Podkolzin.  Raty is down the list.

CGY eats half the cap and takes Friedman. 

They're looking for a 1st.rounder

We don't have that but we can pay similar value.  This deal gets them that value...

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm becoming worried that Raty isn't going to be a solid centre as we were hoping.

I hope he can crank it up the latter part of the season. It's good to have options.

A call up or two might light a fire in him

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Really when I look back at it, I don't really remember Thomas having to make too many stand on your head saves. Yes he played well, but we were out worked and out muscled for most of the series. Even the PP 's, where we should have dominated, we got outworked and muscled off the puck.

They found out very quickly that if you get in between the Sedins, you take away their strengths. No "Sedinery" happened in that series and I wouldn't give all the credit to Thomas for that either. They were shut down and the stats show that. In 7 games , Daniel had 0 PP goals and Hank had 1. 

We were faced with a lot of adversity and we were not able to over come them.

Tim Thomas had 8GSAA in that series alone and I think he had 23GSAA total in his playoff run. He was just so fucking good. We were banged up pretty bad and despite that we still managed to push a lot of the play. Most of game 7 was in Bostons end. We outshot them badly and lost 4 zip.

Its too bad, we gave it 100% effort, but Tim Thomas was too much for us to overcome with all those injuries that piled up.

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

The, "we paid too much for Lindholm" crowd pretty quiet after seeing the price for Monahan.

Sorry, I don't really see why this should change my assessment of the Lindholm trade....I thought the narrative was that a late first rounder hardly ever amounts to anything, so giving it up was no big deal....

....but the Canucks also gave up a player who scored 39 goals a year ago, plus the top defenseman in the OHL right now.....

I agree that Lindholm is the better player, (although Monahan has more points) but I still believe it was an overpayment for a UFA.

• Cheers 2

"The price right now for Tanev, I’m told, is a second-round pick plus another asset,” reported LeBrun

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-leafs-aware-flames-price-tanev

The Flames have apparently informed the Canucks and Leafs the price of Tanev. Its a 2nd and another asset.

We have to get this done. Send them what they want and let's make this team next level elite.  

Just having Tanev on RD with Horonek and Myers makes us so much better.. 

Hughes Horonek 

Soucy Tanev

Zadorov Myers

Cole

Now that's a D line we can feel comfortable going on a deep playoff run with..