[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

14 hours ago, Provost said:

I am starting to think the comment we have all been making “I would like to see the Canucks win the Cup before I die” has been taken the wrong way by someone upstairs 😄

Just because we are #1 in the league and have a shot this year, doesn’t mean we all get our ticket punched!

I just got out of hospital after a couple weeks (same age as you) with some random internal infection that turned into sepsis and was a few hours from me being on a ventilator and multi organ failure before it got sorted.

I think we need to clarify, we want the team to win and also not die prematurely…

Tough one @Provost... Wish you speedy recovery, and hope you are ok.

16 hours ago, Provost said:

I am starting to think the comment we have all been making “I would like to see the Canucks win the Cup before I die” has been taken the wrong way by someone upstairs 😄

Just because we are #1 in the league and have a shot this year, doesn’t mean we all get our ticket punched!

I just got out of hospital after a couple weeks (same age as you) with some random internal infection that turned into sepsis and was a few hours from me being on a ventilator and multi organ failure before it got sorted.

I think we need to clarify, we want the team to win and also not die prematurely…

Oh man, glad you can laugh about it now.  Hope you're recovering well man.

• Huggy Bear 1

16 hours ago, Provost said:

It sure seems we are an older group of fans who became Canuck fans long ago. Where are all the younger fans? IMHAO there’s a dead period during the Benning era where the club wasn’t attracting new fans, especially the young ones. Seems like the club lost a generation there. 
New management has turned that around. And the Lindholm trade just adds to the whole good management doing a good job (and attracting young fans) as opposed to what Benning did. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • chaos 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It sure seems we are an older group of fans who became Canuck fans long ago. Where are all the younger fans? IMHAO there’s a dead period during the Benning era where the club wasn’t attracting new fans, especially the young ones. Seems like the club lost a generation there. 
New management has turned that around. And the Lindholm trade just adds to the whole good management doing a good job (and attracting young fans) as opposed to what Benning did. 

I'm only mid-late 30s but feel double that most days. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/4/2024 at 6:11 PM, stawns said:

I did, yrs.  A cerebellum stroke on both sides.  I'm pretty functional though, speech is my biggest issue.  It was quite a incident 

Hoping for a full recovery for you. Having seen a family member suffer through two, I know how hard it can be. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Reddit?

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

December was my 8 year anniversary after having my stroke. Fortunately I've never had another one since.

Sorry to hear that you went through that, but doing much better I hope?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Sorry to hear that you went through that, but doing much better I hope?

Yup. I might never be a champion surfer due to balance effects of medication. But I'm fine. The only long term effect is one pupil in one eye is slightly wider than the other.

Took a while for my new eye doctor even to notice.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

There's also a demographic of fans that cruise this board (and old cdc) but never create a username and contribute.

I've been a fan since the mid 90's. I started reading cdc on the daily back in maybe 2008? 2009?, But didn't start posting really until 2015. So I'm guessing there are lots of fans who read a lot of what we write but dont contribute.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

There's also a demographic of fans that cruise this board (and old cdc) but never create a username and contribute.

I've been a fan since the mid 90's. I started reading cdc on the daily back in maybe 2008? 2009?, But didn't start posting really until 2015. So I'm guessing there are lots of fans who read a lot of what we write but dont contribute.

Ooooo... in that case...

HEY YOU!  Yeah YOU!  YOU SUCK! 

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Stings less if Lindholm resigns with the team. If we lose him for nothing, and we don't win the Cup. Then we sent five players to a divisional rival with nothing to show for it. Management better have plan B, C, and D moving forward to fill the roster and prospect pool. A part of me wonders if this year is a one off. Like, we caught lightning in a bottle if you will, where just about every single player on the team is having career years. 

Does this occur again next season? or is it simply a one off? 

The odds of them getting 5 nhl players out of that package is probably 1 in 3000. 

As for having a plan to fill the roster, JR has said time and again that they feel they have players on the farm who they are expecting to fill spots next year. They have also shown amazing pro scouting bringing in low cost gems like Blueger, Joshua, Lafferty, and Suter. I would bet on them being able to find a couple more on the market.

The 4 future pieces we gave up are all at least 4 years away from becoming full time NHL players and in all probability only one of the 4 will hit if any.

This trade has 0 negative implications on our lineup next year, in fact it clears up 5.5 million in cap space. So either we re-sign Lindy with that money or we use it to keep the band that go us here together. Either way it's a win for a team who's window is open.

Edited by Coryberg

49 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I used to post on the ESPN canucks forum back in the early 2000's. It was pretty cool because it had a link for all 30 nhl teams so you could pop over to another team's board and discuss a playoff series, trade or dirty hit with their fanbase under one account. The forum closed around 2009 and I migrated over to cdc at that point.

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2024 at 10:04 AM, Odd. said:

You literally have no clue about what you’re talking about. 

Gillis did NOT do remotely enough to bolster our team during our cup window. We kept our 2011, 2012, 2013 late 1st founders as well as Hodgson and Schroeder, traded Hodgson for an equally mid level prospect in Kassian, and then traded for a fading Derek Roy. He traded our 2010 picks to go “bargain hunting” in which he came out with…. Ballard and Booth, two bottom of the list players.

Those late 1st rounders amounted to jack shit when he could’ve used those assets to bolster our team that had won back to back presidents trophies. You don’t keep your middling talent and late 1sts if you’re chasing a championship. The goal is to win now.

Lindholm is likely not re signing with us, that’s another $5.5M of cap we have for the off season. Even if you wanted to re sign him, it’s possible, as we have $40.6M in cap space that will be available after the season ends, with raises to Hronek and Pettersson likely costing $18M. 

You’re forgetting he also traded Grabner, just because its not a pick doesnt mean its not a future piece. Prospects count too and Grabner went on to put up 34 goals that 2010-11 season. Sure would have been nice to have a little extra help scoring goals in the finals wouldnt it??

also how many of his pieces that he added through free agency stuck around or were kept of useful after a few seasons? He banked on winning a cup in the peak years of the twins careers and wasnt looking ahead. He landed a lot of UFAs who ended up being gone within a few years. Imagine if he kept some of those 3rd and 4th round picks that might have actually extended our window or at least helpe be part of the new core moving forward. Pointless 3rd and 4th round picks that became Josh Anderson, Frederik Anderssen, Brayden McNabb. All for fuckin trash in return and we gave up Grabner. Who had a decent career up until the eye injury.

A top 6 power forward, a starting goalie and a top 4 dman, all for washed up players. Mike Gillis mortgaged the future and failed to draft anything of significance outside of Horvat and he ultimately didnt develop any NHL talent, he crippled the future. Either way fuck it, its done, its overwith, he almost pulled it off. I’m happy with where this organization is now at and I just hope we dont trade too much of the future away for rentals. Lindholm is 29 and heading for his decline, its a rental that either becomes a risky investment or cap space. Preferably I wanted us to go after Eriksson Ek because he is 25 and has his whole prime ahead of him and cost controlled for 5 years. That is the type of move that extends our window and locks us in as a powerhouse for several years.

On 2/4/2024 at 10:07 PM, stawns said:

Kind of my story too.  I had a small one a couple days before that wasnt detected by a cscan when I went to ER.  So when the big one hit i kind of thought it was an inner ear vertigo kind of thing.  It was a soild4 hours of not knowing up from down and puking.  But given the cscan I thought I was ok.

All things considered I got lucky, im functioning pretty well and my brain is working well......my speech is slow and sounds like I'm drunk

Feels like I both lost and won on the same lottery ticket 

Sounds like it might be aphasia, regarding the speech 

Hope you recover quickly and as much as possible 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's kinda how I had CDC pegged as I got older, a lot of 40-50+ but not exclusively that 

How a lot of folks reminisce, or what they reminisce about, is telling

But nah, there are younger fans, some are around these parts, but a lot of em use different socials 

When I joined CDC in the later 2000's forums were still more of a norm ans there weren't as many social media options as there are now

CDC/CFF, as more of a traditional forum, is admittedly a bit antiquated, but other team forums like it exist

What made it a bit more unique was being tethered to the Canucks official site, them killing off CDC speaks to their trying to connect with fans via more modern social media 

But yeah, a decade of mostly losing won't draw in more casual fans as much as winning will

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

They use different media. This type of site we are on is old fart country.

Basically this

Edited by Coconuts