[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

Just now, Coryberg said:

Lindholm played 21:01 last night. Tops of all forwards (3 minutes more than miller, 4 minutes more than boeser).  Even if he is a rental (I hope not) we are going to get our miles out of him.

Miller called him “an all around great player who can do it all”

another great identification by pro scouts and org of what we need 

selke style player baby 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Solid article on one of the many side benefits of the Lindholm acquisition

https://mailchi.mp/vancouverisawesome/heres-how-elias-lindholm-really-changes-the-canucks

Makes sense on now having 2 solid lines ready to shut down the opposition.

Conversely, our top 6 is likely to drive the opposition nuts given any opposition on any given night's going to need at least 2 lines. It reminds me of when the Sedins would be focused on during the playoffs, lowering their production but, in turn, opening up the Kesler line to score goals.

52 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Makes sense on now having 2 solid lines ready to shut down the opposition.

Conversely, our top 6 is likely to drive the opposition nuts given any opposition on any given night's going to need at least 2 lines. It reminds me of when the Sedins would be focused on during the playoffs, lowering their production but, in turn, opening up the Kesler line to score goals.

Can't discount that Garland line either.  Their production is similar to a lower tier 2nd line (each on pace for about 40 points).

Then we have a 4th line with both wingers in double digit goals (on pace for 15 to 20 goals each).

Pretty ridiculous offensive depth on this team.  Each line has 1 or 2 guys that are pacing for at least 15 to 20 goals each.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Miller called him “an all around great player who can do it all”

another great identification by pro scouts and org of what we need 

selke style player baby 

Takes a load off of Miller's plate for sure.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Can't discount that Garland line either.  Their production is similar to a lower tier 2nd line (each on pace for about 40 points).

Then we have a 4th line with both wingers in double digit goals (on pace for 15 to 20 goals each).

Pretty ridiculous offensive depth on this team.  Each line has 1 or 2 guys that are pacing for at least 15 to 20 goals each.

And it speaks for itself just looking at this forum and the topics people create. It's pretty clear no one has anyone to really yell at. And sure, there's Mikeyev who could score more, but he's doing it all defensively anyway. If that's the only "punching bag" we have... that speaks volumes for the team as a whole and just how dangerous we are right now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Reddit was posting WAR charts about how we shouldn't target Lindholm cause his numbers weren't good. :classic_ninja: Just thinking back on that.

Im not sure how the lines were in Calgary. One of the talking point in the Flamestalk podcast was that Lindholm & Huberdeau really didn't have good chemistry so that's probably the reason why both guys had down years. Maybe it's also the same with his WAR rating? 

12 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

https://mailchi.mp/vancouverisawesome/heres-how-elias-lindholm-really-changes-the-canucks

Yup I agree with the assesment. Simply put, Lindholm gives Toc a lot of configurations on how to match up with teams. When we are in the playoffs, its not far fetched that we could see Petey in the middle and lindholm playing the wing in a 1st round matchup with a team like for example, the Predators, but then have lindholm play centre in the 2nd round if we were to play a high flying team like the Oilers. The acquisition of Lindholm may not be as flashy as Guentzel but Linds covers up a lot of little leaks this team has with his all purpose skillset

11 hours ago, HKSR said:

If garland, bleuger, Joshua play in the playoffs like they have all season, we'll get very far in the post season

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

21 hours ago, HKSR said:

As Dom said, Juulsen has been amazing.  I just think it'd be REALLY good to have 8 capable NHL defenders because the playoffs is such a war.  We're almost guaranteed to lose 1 or 2 defenders to injury as most teams do.  If Juulsen is our #8, we are in incredible shape. 

I also like the fact we have a logjam of centres too. 

We are forgetting about Friedman though. He looked solid early in the season playing 3rd pair. He is more that capable for the 7/8th role. Then, we have guys like Irwin, Bris (if available) and Wolanin.

With the emergence of Juulsen, I really don’t think we need anybody else.

16 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I kind of stopped reading when it concluded that the miller-boeser line wasn't good defensively but succeeded in a matchup role by just outscoring its opponents. 

the defensive numbers aren't pristine for them because they've been up against the league's best players all year. pretty simple. they've done excellently defensively; you can never completely shut down the best players in this league. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 2

Cap goes up to 87.7

we have about 57 tied up subtract a garland trade which will happen with a sweetener for full relief and you have 35.7 in cap space essentially 

EP 13

FH 7.5

EL 8

EC 2.25 x 

Myers 3 x 2

Tanev 3x 3

= we will likely have to trade milkeyev 

= 36.75

35.7+ 4.75

40.45- 36.75

= 3.7

sign a back up goalie and bluegger

Laffer, Zads walk 

Bluegger 2.2 x 3

silovs .75 

22 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Cap goes up to 87.7

we have about 57 tied up subtract a garland trade which will happen with a sweetener for full relief and you have 35.7 in cap space essentially 

EP 13

FH 7.5

EL 8

EC 2.25 x 

Myers 3 x 2

Tanev 3x 3

= we will likely have to trade milkeyev 

= 36.75

35.7+ 4.75

40.45- 36.75

= 3.7

sign a back up goalie and bluegger

Laffer, Zads walk 

Bluegger 2.2 x 3

silovs .75 

Lindholm Petey Hogz

Suter Miller Brock 

Joshua Bluegger Bains

Podkolzin Aman PDG

Karlsson

Hughes Tanev

Cole Hronek

Soucy Juulsen

edit to above let Myers walk 

use that money on Joshua 

this is where Canucks development needs to give us a boost on the wing 

6 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Lindholm Petey Hogz

Suter Miller Brock 

Joshua Bluegger Bains

Podkolzin Aman PDG

Karlsson

Hughes Tanev

Cole Hronek

Soucy Juulsen

use that money on Joshua 

Hate to see Zads walk as it’s great to have more bone crunchers on the back end.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

I kind of stopped reading when it concluded that the miller-boeser line wasn't good defensively but succeeded in a matchup role by just outscoring its opponents. 

the defensive numbers aren't pristine for them because they've been up against the league's best players all year. pretty simple. they've done excellently defensively; you can never completely shut down the best players in this league. 

Fair enough but the results are a good foundation point for making line-up decisions in the playoffs - i.e. when playing better teams repeatedly and a true shut down line is more important because it is harder to score goals.

40 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Lindholm Petey Hogz

Suter Miller Brock 

Joshua Bluegger Bains

Podkolzin Aman PDG

Karlsson

Hughes Tanev

Cole Hronek

Soucy Juulsen

use that money on Joshua 

It will be interesting to see how mgmt views Garland - cap issue that prevents mgmt from resigning DJ, etc. or the key piece of the third line (i.e. keep Garland and give him new line-mates he can drive) or elevate him to the top six.

4 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

We are forgetting about Friedman though. He looked solid early in the season playing 3rd pair. He is more that capable for the 7/8th role. Then, we have guys like Irwin, Bris (if available) and Wolanin.

With the emergence of Juulsen, I really don’t think we need anybody else.

I think, although Juulsen and Freidman are capable NHLers, one more addition would be absolutely welcome. A pure rental for depth purposes like Edmundson, Scandella or Schultz could really help in case of injuries. Having more than enough size already with Zadorov, Myers, Soucy, Cole and Juulsen, I'd probably lean towards adding Schultz as he's proven in the past that he can step in and add an offensive element to the defense if need be. On top of that, his chemistry with Soucy would be an added bonus.

3 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

It will be interesting to see how mgmt views Garland - cap issue that prevents mgmt from resigning DJ, etc. or the key piece of the third line (i.e. keep Garland and give him new line-mates he can drive) or elevate him to the top six.

Garland does not fit in our top 6. He drives the 3rd line, precisely because he needs/has the puck. Same goes for guys like Miller and Petey. You can't have 2 guys on a line that both need the puck to be successful.

IMO, as good as that line's been, and as good as Garland is, his near $5m cap hit is a luxury we can't afford on our 3rd line next year. Certainly not at the expense of a better top 6 / top 4.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1