[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

I want no part of a Lindholm extension.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been impressed by his defensive game, and am glad he’s on the team. But he’s not the player he was 2 years ago, and I suspect that’s age-related regression. I think whoever signs him will seriously regret it in 2-3 years.

Lots of noise that the Bruins will go after Lindholm. Likely they give him a lot more (8x8) than we will offer. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Lots of noise that the Bruins will go after Lindholm. Likely they give him a lot more (8x8) than we will offer. 

If the bruins want to give him 8 years they are going to have to do a sign and trade deal with us (like Edmonton did with Hyman and Columbus did with Severson). If he goes UFA he will have to settle for 7 years as per the CBA.

Edited by Coryberg
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

If the bruins want to give him 8 years they are going to have to do a sign and trade deal with us (like Edmonton did with Hyman and Columbus did with Severson). If he goes UFA he will have to settle for 7 years as per the CBA.

Yup. We likely get a late second in the deal. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. We likely get a late second in the deal. 

Doubtful that a team gives up a 2nd for Lindholm's signing rights, more than likely it'd be a 3rd at best 

Trades for rights typically involve lower picks as the trade return, and if the Canucks don't plan on signing Lindholm they'd be dumb to turn down whatever they could potentially get back 

Last season the highest pick a team gave up for just the rights to a player was a 3rd, and the player was a young RFA goaltender 

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/kings-acquire-rights-to-goaltender-erik-portillo-from-the-buffalo-sabr-341687898

There was no 3rd rounder or better traded just for rights during 2021-2022

Same goes for the 2020-2021 season

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-21-nhl-trades-325638984

Or the 2019-2020 season

https://www.nhl.com/news/2019-20-nhl-trades-319313416

The rights to Kevin Hayes got the Jets a 5th during the 18-19 season

The rights to Adam Fox got the Canes a 2nd and a conditional 3rd, Fox was an anomaly in that he basically forced his way to the Rags and went on to be a #1D, Lindholm now ain't what Fox was then

Fox went up to put up 42 in 72 during his rookie season before following that up with 47 in 55, the following year, the past three seasons he's put up 70+ points,

If anything the Canes took a risk getting his rights from Calgary, couldn't sign him, and then simply got what they could from the one team Fox would sign with

Kings gave up a 5th for the rights to Kubalik 

https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-19-nhl-trades-307839254

Oftentimes when rights are involved teams are just swapping the rights to different players 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Doubtful that a team gives up a 2nd for Lindholm's signing rights, more than likely it'd be a 3rd at best 

Trades for rights typically involve lower picks as the trade return, and if the Canucks don't plan on signing Lindholm they'd be dumb to turn down whatever they could potentially get back 

Last season the highest pick a team gave up for just the rights to a player was a 3rd, and the player was a young RFA goaltender 

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/kings-acquire-rights-to-goaltender-erik-portillo-from-the-buffalo-sabr-341687898

There was no 3rd rounder or better traded just for rights during 2021-2022

Same goes for the 2020-2021 season

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-21-nhl-trades-325638984

Or the 2019-2020 season

https://www.nhl.com/news/2019-20-nhl-trades-319313416

The rights to Kevin Hayes got the Jets a 5th during the 18-19 season

The rights to Adam Fox got the Canes a 2nd and a conditional 3rd, Fox was an anomaly in that he basically forced his way to the Rags and went on to be a #1D, Lindholm now ain't what Fox was then

Fox went up to put up 42 in 72 during his rookie season before following that up with 47 in 55, the following year, the past three seasons he's put up 70+ points,

If anything the Canes took a risk getting his rights from Calgary, couldn't sign him, and then simply got what they could from the one team Fox would sign with

Kings gave up a 5th for the rights to Kubalik 

https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-19-nhl-trades-307839254

Oftentimes when rights are involved teams are just swapping the rights to different players 

Could be several teams bidding. Might bump the price for his rights (and the opportunity to stretch out his cap the extra year) to even a second and a third. Big, Allstar, defensively responsible Right Shot number one centres have a lot of value. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Could be several teams bidding. Might bump the price for his rights (and the opportunity to stretch out his cap the extra year) to even a second and a third. Big, Allstar, defensively responsible Right Shot number one centres have a lot of value. 

Usually I'd agree, but his production hasn't matched his reputation this season, right now his production is the lowest it's been since he was a Hurricane back in 15-16

I'd be thrilled to get a 2nd but there isn't much of a track record of teams giving up a high picks for the rights to players in recent years, it's just been the Rags acquiring Fox 

I don't doubt we could get something, but I'd be surprised if it's a 2nd 

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Doubt teams are jumping up and down wanting to sign Lindholm to a 8milx 7 year or whatever big number Lindholm is reportedly wanting in his next contract. Lindholm will probably feel the market and see what's the maxmium $ he can get out of teams and end up signing 6.8mil per year with Seattle or something like that. 

• ThereItIs 1

35 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Doubt teams are jumping up and down wanting to sign Lindholm to a 8milx 7 year or whatever big number Lindholm is reportedly wanting in his next contract. Lindholm will probably feel the market and see what's the maxmium $ he can get out of teams and end up signing 6.8mil per year with Seattle or something like that. 

I expect Lindy to be his normal self in the playoffs and be one of the key guys in our Cup win. Then there will a bidding war for his services. 

• Like 1
  • MillerTime 1

On 4/14/2024 at 7:14 AM, Alflives said:

they'd be smart to. Not sure he's worth Fat Wallet money but he's a heck of a smart player. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Interesting comment tonight hearing that Lindholm welcomes his role as a third line center and he just wants to win......knowing he's not producing at the same pace as before.  If the Canucks go on a solid run and he plays a huge shutdown role (big if), what are the odds that he sticks around at a price of say $6M/yr?  Anyone talking $8M/yr x 8 years is just nuts.  If he's declined this much in 2 years, no way anyone looks at the next 8 and thinks he's in the JT Miller range.  The bigger question is what price can we afford him at and do we really want him for a longer contract?  $6M/yr x 4 years is all I'd go based on wanting to try and keep this team together as much as possible.

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Interesting comment tonight hearing that Lindholm welcomes his role as a third line center and he just wants to win......knowing he's not producing at the same pace as before.  If the Canucks go on a solid run and he plays a huge shutdown role (big if), what are the odds that he sticks around at a price of say $6M/yr?  Anyone talking $8M/yr x 8 years is just nuts.  If he's declined this much in 2 years, no way anyone looks at the next 8 and thinks he's in the JT Miller range.  The bigger question is what price can we afford him at and do we really want him for a longer contract?  $6M/yr x 4 years is all I'd go based on wanting to try and keep this team together as much as possible.

The timing of the comment is curious too right. 

And if he wants to win, there's really no better place than Van that's just entering into their contention window, assuming Allvin and Rutherford and the rest of the staff can continue to build and find the right pieces to build around the core of Miller, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and Brock. Can we even afford Lindholm at 6M per year? He's probably going to want around 6.5-7M. 

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

The timing of the comment is curious too right. 

And if he wants to win, there's really no better place than Van that's just entering into their contention window, assuming Allvin and Rutherford and the rest of the staff can continue to build and find the right pieces to build around the core of Miller, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and Brock. Can we even afford Lindholm at 6M per year? He's probably going to want around 6.5-7M. 

Here’s the question and I hate saying it but do you revisit Boeser trades in the offseason to help with everybody’s raises?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Here’s the question and I hate saying it but do you revisit Boeser trades in the offseason to help with everybody’s raises?

I personally want Brock to remain a Canuck, so I'd say no. I think he takes a bit of a discount to remain in Canuck colours. He didn't want to leave when the rumours were hot and swirling. I think he'll be one of the few players that will retire as a Canuck. Maybe near the end of his contract, he might be traded for some prospects and picks to help the franchise. But other than that, most of his time I think will be in blue, green and white. 

Lindholm is an elite 3rd centreman. Not many teams can afford that, so if he somehow decides to remain here, and signs for a reasonable contract, that would go a long way to helping this team continue to climb and maybe win a cup here. With that being said, I fully expect Lindholm to test free agency and walk. I'm not expecting him to return to Vancouver unfortunately. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I'd give him the dreaded 6m/6yrs. Lindholm's skillset will allow him to contribute at 36....and the 6m will be more like 4m by then. 

What the team really needs is for Lekkeramki to make a big jump into the NHL this year. That will allow us to resign BB and other key pieces, while only needing to free up Mik type of $$. My guess is they will also be looking to Raty to assume Blueger's spot.

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I personally want Brock to remain a Canuck, so I'd say no. I think he takes a bit of a discount to remain in Canuck colours. He didn't want to leave when the rumours were hot and swirling. I think he'll be one of the few players that will retire as a Canuck. Maybe near the end of his contract, he might be traded for some prospects and picks to help the franchise. But other than that, most of his time I think will be in blue, green and white. 

Lindholm is an elite 3rd centreman. Not many teams can afford that, so if he somehow decides to remain here, and signs for a reasonable contract, that would go a long way to helping this team continue to climb and maybe win a cup here. With that being said, I fully expect Lindholm to test free agency and walk. I'm not expecting him to return to Vancouver unfortunately. 

I think he stays. Our 3rd line is really a 2B line; essentially we have 3 #2 lines that's play time is dictated by whos hot. We lack that really elite player to drive one top line (McDavid, Mackinnon, etc).

12 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

6M+ for him as a top six guy? Maybe, depending on the term. But for him as a third liner? We've been there and done that.

I think there's a better chance he walks and takes a larger role elsewhere, and we'd probably be better off searching for a winger anyway if we're keeping Pettersson at center.

15 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

$6M/yr x 4 years is all I'd go based on wanting to try and keep this team together as much as possible.

I'd also like him at around 6 million per, but I doubt he'd agree to term that low. 

He will be 30 next year so I bet he wants as long as possible. Maybe $6 x 6 years might be a consideration. 

If it was to be shorter term then I think the prices goes up. Maybe $7 or $7.5 million for 3-4 years?

My expectation is he'll walk at UFA due to his price range and the bidding war for him that'll likely happen.

• Cheers 1

3rd line C for $6 million, after a small sample size?  He's going to have to take a Klingberg show-me deal in my opinion.  We paid to get him in the trade but it doesn't automatically warrant him getting big bucks, even if it means him providing us with valuable depth if his place in our cap structure could screw us up with an underwhelming season.

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

3rd line C for $6 million, after a small sample size?  He's going to have to take a Klingberg show-me deal in my opinion.  We paid to get him in the trade but it doesn't automatically warrant him getting big bucks, even if it means him providing us with valuable depth if his place in our cap structure could screw us up with an underwhelming season.

The thing with Lindy is that with him we have three 1st line C down the middle that we can put cheap players around.

So it doesn’t matter if Lindy cost a bit since we can have a few millions only beside him. 

• ThereItIs 1

26 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

The thing with Lindy is that with him we have three 1st line C down the middle that we can put cheap players around.

So it doesn’t matter if Lindy cost a bit since we can have a few millions only beside him. 

I think people are going to learn to appreciate Lindy pretty fast once the playoffs begin. He's a luxury to have at 3C. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think people are going to learn to appreciate Lindy pretty fast once the playoffs begin. He's a luxury to have at 3C. 

There's no denying he's a useful player, but I'd rather not spend that kind of money on him long-term.  He's excellent at pressuring the puck carrier at both ends of the rink and generating turnovers, as well as faceoffs.  Like the player, but still view him as a rental.

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

There's no denying he's a useful player, but I'd rather not spend that kind of money on him long-term.  He's excellent at pressuring the puck carrier at both ends of the rink and generating turnovers, as well as faceoffs.  Like the player, but still view him as a rental.

yep, we can't afford what others will be throwing his way. He'll get Bo money from someone, because of the lack of high quality RHC's on the UFA market this year, he's by far the best one that will be available. 

Unless he loves it here and is willing to take a big pay cut, which is really unlikely. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yep, we can't afford what others will be throwing his way. He'll get Bo money from someone, because of the lack of high quality RHC's on the UFA market this year, he's by far the best one that will be available. 

Unless he loves it here and is willing to take a big pay cut, which is really unlikely. 

Still reserving judgment about that one. Lindholm has done better than previous showings. It seems the injury had held him back.