[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

12 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Personally, I think Brz was the 2nd best defence prospect behind only Willander.  The most recent prospect rankings from the Hockey News had Brz as the Canucks #3 prospect behind only Lekkerimaki and Willander.  Watching the WJC, D EP didnt look all that good to me.

How many times have you seen HB play? Or you just scanning stats? I’ve seen 2 games of his and yeah he’s great with the puck and is putting up ridiculous numbers against 16-20 kids as a 19 year old. But let’s see him try to defend against the big forwards (Draisatle, Kopitar, McKinnon, McD, Raantanaan, Benn, Stone, etc) in the west. He’s good but expendable at the same time. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

EL is coming off a bad year on a bad team. That makes a little sense. Still has the pedigree over multiple seasons. 

Kuz is having a bad year on a great team. Coming off one good year on a decent team, last season. 

The likely low 1st is in the same ballpark as a 2nd. Rarely does a low 1st come back to haunt a team. It’s an acceptable trade risk. 

Not sure why the A/B prospect rating applies. There are already better players within the system that are far more NHL ready. If you know something about those prospects that I don’t, please share. 

Dunno brother about the low first is the same as a 2nd.

As usual for the last few years I have been putting in lots of work into researching the upcoming draft.

After the top 10 or so picks this draft is wide open.

My assistant GM in our league who puts in more work than anyone I know, it's amazing how much research he does, thinks the same. 

This draft has some pretty good defensive prospects.

There was one particular D-man I was hoping that might slide to us due to injury if we still had this pick.

What we both agree on though is, prioritising picks in next years draft in any trades we are making. 

Don't get me wrong, not unhappy with this deal, especially if it takes us to the promised land.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

So does this mean that the Lames will have no player reppin' them in the ASG, Doesn't one from each team get at least one?

Horvat still represented the pacific last year after the trade...

Who knows. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No.

Fans really need to watch these prospects and not just stat watch.

Thinking Brzustewicz could be ready in two years tells me you know nothing about his game. He is extremely talented offensively but a long term project defensively.

How much have you watched him play?  You're making a huge assumption that I'm a stat watcher and know nothing about his game.  He has been dominant in the OHL this year and is on pace to be one of the few dmen to surpass 100 points and in all likelihood will win dman of the year.  The following is a quote regarding his play "The offensive element is something Brzustewicz has always felt he's had. But the work he's put in on the defensive side of the game is something he's just as proud of. He points to his plus-28 rating, up from plus-8 last season, as one example of his improvement, as does playing on Kitchener's penalty kill, which is fifth in the OHL at 82.0 percent."

I said I felt as though he "could" be ready in 2 years, not an absolute certainty by any means.  Mintuykov had 62points and was -14 in 2021/22 then 88pts and +33 in his D +1 year...did he make the Anaheim Ducks 2 years later?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I don't think he'll be asking for $9m. He had one year of 82 points, with the rest putting him around $7m. And he's turning 30 next year. Similar to JT but cheaper. 

let's hope so! 

i'd feel a lot better if PA can resign him, even though he's almost 30. I hate those kinds of contracts, because you never know what you're getting after a player is 30 years old. Lots of them decline quite drastically. 

1 minute ago, fanofvan said:

How much have you watched him play?  You're making a huge assumption that I'm a stat watcher and know nothing about his game.  He has been dominant in the OHL this year and is on pace to be one of the few dmen to surpass 100 points and in all likelihood will win dman of the year.  The following is a quote regarding his play "The offensive element is something Brzustewicz has always felt he's had. But the work he's put in on the defensive side of the game is something he's just as proud of. He points to his plus-28 rating, up from plus-8 last season, as one example of his improvement, as does playing on Kitchener's penalty kill, which is fifth in the OHL at 82.0 percent."

I said I felt as though he "could" be ready in 2 years, not an absolute certainty by any means.  Mintuykov had 62points and was -14 in 2021/22 then 88pts and +33 in his D +1 year...did he make the Anaheim Ducks 2 years later?

I can make the Anaheim Ducks 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Mintuykov

yea, but he's also a 10th overall selection in the 1st round in 2022 draft. 

Hunter's a good player, but i think there's a reason for why he was drafted in the 3rd round. 

Those two players can't be compared to each other. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Nice the team has a 2nd line center now but the price seems a bit steep for a player who is on pace for 53 pts 

I mean, he's got 33 games left. Calgary does not have the same firepower that the Canucks do. I wonder if he picks up the pace offensively once he arrives. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

yea, but he's also a 10th overall selection in the 1st round in 2022 draft. 

Hunter's a good player, but i think there's a reason for why he was drafted in the 3rd round. 

Those two players can't be compared to each other. 

Wasn't Brz projected to be a 1st round selection in the preseason rankings prior to his draft year?  Somewhere around #20?

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to CapFriendly, we have $1,866,250 in cap space with 22 players.  So we have room to add one more player.  If the other team retains 50%, we can trade for a player up to $3.7 million.  If we get a 3rd team involved, then we can actually trade for a player up to $7.4 million.

We can still add one more top 6 forward and even a depth defenceman...

Defenceman brother.

While I do acknowledge we could use another forward, it's defence that's wins cups.

A nice solid D-man that can play solid D, clear that crease and as a bonus has a solid first pass.

And stays healthy.

Add one of these players and I would start to feel a definate stiffening of my resolve.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, fanofvan said:

I don't think Monahan > Lindholm, but it would have cost less and afforded the Canucks an additional $3m in cap room to add this TDL.

Cost less... yes but I don't think as effective.

Lindholm is an elite player having a tough year offensively but, a change could spark him.

It's important to note he plays PK1, 50% dzone starts, and plays against the top line / toughest match up on a nightly basis. His FO% is comparable to Monahan but Elias is taking faceoffs vs the McDavids, McKinnons, Millers etc where as Monahan isnt the matchbup line.  Monahan gets mote freedom to play in his match ups a la our Joshua/Blueger/Garland line who benefit from playing vs L3 and L4 of the opposing team more often.

Elias also generates shots on goal and shot attempts at an elite pace despite playing on a calgary team that rates bottom 1/3 in high danger chances/shot, bottom 5 in mid-danger chances/shots and top 3 in low-damger chances/shots. Elias also is spotting a <7% S% this season compared to a career range of 12-17%. Which I'm not surprised based on the lack of quality linemates he has had.

Theres a reason why all the analyst had Lindholm as the top target on this year's trade board... because there's more to his game than just statistics show.

Fit wise I also think it changes the landscape for the team especially since the Canucks can now have 2 shut down lines and will allow tocchet to exploit match ups by having more flexibility with the Miller line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

My big concern is that Kuzy exploded last year and has half an "average" season with us - I wouldn't say bad. Maybe the fit was bad, but what does this message say to other players - if you have 40 average games, you're out?

I get the need for the trade and Kuzmenko wasn't living up to his potential and cap and coaching style but it certainly leaves a sour taste in your mouth. 

Good trade to get what we need and the best available player out there but we just offered a boat-load and you know it's what Conroy wanted.

5 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Wasn't Brz projected to be a 1st round selection in the preseason rankings prior to his draft year?  Somewhere around #20?

Sure. But the reality was, he dropped to the 3rd round, and that's where he was selected. 

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, he's got 33 games left. Calgary does not have the same firepower that the Canucks do. I wonder if he picks up the pace offensively once he arrives. 

maybe but still it feels quite steep for a rental.

Basically Canucks gave up more than what the Canucks were asking for JT Miller before his extension.

1st Round Pick
Brzustewicz - My understanding is that he was starting to be become a A prospect 
Joni Jurmo - I guess he's a C Prospect
4th Round Pick
Andrei Kuzmenko - maybe Flames just see him as a cap dump ?

That's quite a package 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

The scouting report on Brzustewicz is that his skating needs work, but his vision and playmaking ability make up for it at the junior level, which does not bode well for a fast track to the pro level.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1