[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

17 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Dunno brother about the low first is the same as a 2nd.

As usual for the last few years I have been putting in lots of work into researching the upcoming draft.

After the top 10 or so picks this draft is wide open.

My assistant GM in our league who puts in more work than anyone I know, it's amazing how much research he does, thinks the same. 

This draft has some pretty good defensive prospects.

There was one particular D-man I was hoping that might slide to us due to injury if we still had this pick.

What we both agree on though is, prioritising picks in next years draft in any trades we are making. 

Don't get me wrong, not unhappy with this deal, especially if it takes us to the promised land.

I'm seeing a lot of Swedes ranked low. Zether, Fransen, Freij, Phalsson, Pettersson. Maybe Alvin's got eyes for one of them. There weren't any Swedes around our pick spot so it was basically worthless. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I mean fair enough but we weren’t landing Lindholm this early for Kuz + 1st alone.

Brz is a polarizing prospect re: his value. Maybe if we still had a 2nd we could have gotten away with a different piece.. but I think Allvin did well to hold on to Hoglander, Lekkerimaki, Willander and Raty.

Yes.  He didn't give up our tier 1 young talent for a solid 2C.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Well this seems to hit the traditional markers of a top rental

roster player - (kuzmenko)

A prospect - (Brzustewicz although he’s probably more like a B or B+ prospect)

2024 First

Jurmo and the conditional 4th seems like an adjustment for trading in division and not hitting our true #1 prospects like Willander and Lekermaki

seeing the quantity hits a kind of sticker shock but after you dial that back and refrain from the urge to over hype and hold on to all the prospects in the system.

either way suuuuper excited 

let’s go Canucks!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

Yes 

@fanofvan Look friend - I’m just taking the piss here. I have no idea if you’re a troll or not but your initial posts weren’t encouraging. And even if you are - I can’t stop that. So I figured I’d josh around until figuring it out. Dont take it too personal friendo - this is a message board and unless we respond to each other it’s all fodder for naught. 

4 hours ago, fanofvan said:

If the Canucks flame out in the 1st round, what will that 1st round pick be?  Not sure last years draft was "much better".

Only picks 31 and 32 are dependent on the playoffs results (the Cup finalists). The order of draft picks for the teams that bounced in the first 3 rounds is by the league standing at the end of the regular season.

• Like 1

Pretty big move...hope the pro scouting on Lindholm and his trajectory is better than it was on Booth, Ballard, OEL etc.  Not much reason to distrust this management so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.  Seems like Calgary is our new Florida in terms of trading partners.  Maybe we will end up with Tanev before the end of the year after all.

• Like 2

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

@fanofvan Look friend - I’m just taking the piss here. I have no idea if you’re a troll or not but your initial posts weren’t encouraging. And even if you are - I can’t stop that. So I figured I’d josh around until figuring it out. Dont take it too personal friendo - this is a message board and unless we respond to each other it’s all fodder for naught. 

Piss away, doesn't bother me.  I've said throughout, maybe not in the clearest sense, that I like the player but think the cost was steep and didn't allow room for other quality trades.  I'm here on this board, so obviously I'm a fan of the team and thought I'd add my 2 cents on the trade.

• Like 1

Keys to the deal for me:

Lindholm plays center and wing, that's hugely valuable when you consider that JT and Petey also play both positions. Gives that top 6 a ton of flexibility.

Kuzmenkos contract is off the books for next year. That 5mil in cap space could help tremendously.

That 1st rounder is going to be in the 20s, likely 25-32 at this point. It's apparently a somewhat weak first round after the top 15. The Canucks finally picked an opportune time to trade their 1st. 

Willander and D Petey are still ours.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, awalk said:

Keys to the deal for me:

Lindholm plays center and wing, that's hugely valuable when you consider that JT and Petey also play both positions. Gives that top 6 a ton of flexibility.

Kuzmenkos contract is off the books for next year. That 5mil in cap space could help tremendously.

That 1st rounder is going to be in the 20s, likely 25-32 at this point. It's apparently a somewhat weak first round after the top 15. The Canucks finally picked an opportune time to trade their 1st. 

Willander and D Petey are still ours.

As well as Lekkerimaki.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Pretty big move...hope the pro scouting on Lindholm and his trajectory is better than it was on Booth, Ballard, OEL etc.  Not much reason to distrust this management so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.  Seems like Calgary is our new Florida in terms of trading partners.  Maybe we will end up with Tanev before the end of the year after all.

Me too. My trust is trending up with MGMT though. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Agreed Kuz and a 1st wasn't getting it done.  I place no value on Jurmo as he wasn't in the Canucks plans but would have preferred Klimovich, Sasson, Hirose or McWard be moved.  I may be wrong, which is very possible, but there was something I liked in Brz.

I wish we could have made this deal work with a McWard or Hirose. They had good end of year showings with us, but it doesn’t compare to the potential in Brz as a gamble I guess. So it’s a gamble: prospect for us to deal and Calgary to take. 

I think we’ll know soon enough. I suspect seeing Brz in Calgarys lineup will pretty quick given that they’re likely to lose Tanev and Hanifin. I wish him well but I’d hate to see him burn us so quick too. 

The winning we do with Lindholm in the lineup koi offsets any shortish term concerns for me though because I know we’re pushing all in. 

18 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Agreed Kuz and a 1st wasn't getting it done.  I place no value on Jurmo as he wasn't in the Canucks plans but would have preferred Klimovich, Sasson, Hirose or McWard be moved.  I may be wrong, which is very possible, but there was something I liked in Brz.

At the end of the day, you gotta give to get, right? 

After the initial shock of the trade. I don't think we did too bad. Jurmo is a wash. The 4th, not sure if that'll ever amount to anything. The 1st, is a late pick. So really, I feel like we gave up Kuzmenko, Brz, and a 1st (those are the real meaningful assets). 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I wish we could have made this deal work with a McWard or Hirose. They had good end of year showings with us, but it doesn’t compare to the potential in Brz as a gamble I guess. So it’s a gamble: prospect for us to deal and Calgary to take. 

I think we’ll know soon enough. I suspect seeing Brz in Calgarys lineup will pretty quick given that they’re likely to lose Tanev and Hanifin. I wish him well but I’d hate to see him burn us so quick too. 

The winning we do with Lindholm in the lineup koi offsets any shortish term concerns for me though because I know we’re pushing all in. 

Watching the interview with Conroy gave me the impression the 1st and Hunter are the pieces they are most excited about.  Time will tell and hopefully Lindholm's performance makes everyone forget about the price paid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Dunno how you said we bought low. The price we paid wasn't low at all. Could've had Monahan for a cheaper price and saved a ton more of cap space.

Thats assuming MTL took Kuzmenko. If they chose not to, youd still be stuck with Kuz at 5.5

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

9 mil is lindholms asking price? 

Lindholm has to be happy going to the Canucks, His value will no doubt increase being on a better team, but he may also want to stay being happy here

I myself stayed at jobs where I was happy, and had chances multiple times for more money elsewhere, but as it's said, money does not always buy you happiness and if you are happy with your environment and pay, that can be more than more money in the unknown elsewhere

I am sure the Canucks will wait and see how the chemistry with his teammates and coaches are before deciding upon a new contract

I also see this as making EP want to stay (He is almost in Sweden now, management, players)😉

Also this signing could prevent EP from playing hardball with the team in 2 ways

One that he loves the team  and two that they have a 2nd line centre besides him

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Lindholm has to be happy going to the Canucks, His value will no doubt increase being on a better team, but he may also want to stay being happy here

I myself stayed at jobs where I was happy, and had chances multiple times for more money elsewhere, but as it's said, money does not always buy you happiness and if you are happy with your environment and pay, that can be more than more money in the unknown elsewhere

I am sure the Canucks will wait and see how the chemistry with his teammates and coaches are for deciding upon a new contract

I also see this as making EP want to stay (He is almost in Sweden now, management, players)😉

Also this signing could prevent EP from playing hardball with the team in 2 ways

One that he loves the team  and two that they have a 2nd line centre besides him

Let’s hope he hits an upslope in production here and is smart enough to see how it correlates to his trade and linemates and that all gets factored in! Every player advocates for themselves and that’s what I don’t mind about this deal - he’s banking on himself showing for a good deal and we’re banking on him doing it to help us to the cup. We can discuss details after - this is a push year. 

• Cheers 1