[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

Good pickup by the Canucks at some cost for future assets though - with Brz, probably would have taken 2+ years of seasoning before arriving here anyway.  Kuz was bit happy-go lucky but you can see his luv for scoring goals + the fans enjoyed his play especially last year - probably will get a few additional looks in Calgary with Huberdeau.

With Lindholm, I think the Canucks get a very versatile player that can move up lines 1-3 .  Guess we have to see what happens next in terms of TDL activity - wonder if they will pick up some additional depth on defense and the 4th lines - possibly some physical / edgier types to complement the players they already have, though we will hopefully have Soucy and PDG back in the near term.

Just Win.jpg

17 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Agreed completely. Cheers and again sorry for the snap judgment and argument. That’s on me. If we can start again fresh, I would be thankful for the gracious gesture. We’re all Canucks fans and I regret getting testy. I’m sorry. 

No hard feelings from my end....we are just shooting the breeze over the interwebs.  Appreciate the passion of the fanbase.

• Cheers 1

Break this down and let's look at this trade objectively

The deal is essentially:

Free asset (Kuz)

Late first rounder 

3rd round pick (hunter B)

4th round pick

For a bona-fide proven 2C having a down year and cap space this year and next.

Canucks get the best player in the trade and cap space without giving up any A level prospect 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Was hoping to not trade Brzustiewicz but overall very happy with the return. Love Kuzmenko but was clearly not fitting in this season for whatever reason. Welcome a legit top 6 Centre as return. 

Same, giving up brusz was probably the asset i wanted the team to keep out of the deal, but gotta give to get.  Pretty happy with the deal overall

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Damn Allvin/Rutherford god. They get things done. 

Why are people talking about contracts and whatnot lol... 

Even if Lindholm is just a rental, I would pay 2x 1sts and a prospect just to make a stanley cup run. Hell yea! We need a cup, not some ideal that "may be" we can be "good" for a long stretch. 

all these draftist, and prospect geeks think that we are gonna have a 10 year cup dynasty filled with 1st and 2nd round prospects

If we win the cup, nobody is going to care what Bruzs does from here on end, he can have 5 Norris, 20 Harts, and 12 Art Ross trophies, doesn't matter. Theres only one trophy we're after

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

A player drafted in the 1st round is usually more talented, and I think it's safe to assume that some can make the direct jump to an NHL roster. 

A player drafted in later rounds, the percentage drops, by quite a bit. Usually they'll need some time in the minors (AHL) to develop their game so that it's a pro game. 

100%

Usually the one's that jump right into ur roster are top 5 picks. 

After the top 5 the percentage of players that make the NHL and play more than 100 games is only 75%

Late first rounders are around 60%

Once you get into the 2nd round it's a crapshoot with around 35%. 

A 3rd round pick like Bru is only a 25% chance. He's having an amazing year for sure but he could easily bust too. 

3 hours ago, bh90 said:

Now time to go get Henrique or Vatrano 

Henrique/Vatrano - Miller - Boeser

Petterson - Lindolm - Mikheyev

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Hoglander - Suter - Lafferty

Feels like a video game 

I wouldn't mind Henrique at all. He's decent on the dot 54% and can chip in some offence, has a 30 goal season under his belt.

Not sold on Vatrano at all, his numbers look decent from his hot start, but the REAL Frank Vatrano is showing up now, back to his 40 pt pace. 

Hours after this trade I still just don’t love it. Disregarding the fact that I love Kuzmenko, I just don’t see a world where we won this trade. 

Lindholm is extremely talented at a highly important position of need. He gives us upgrades in a lot of areas right now, but I really struggle with how much his game has fallen off this year. Maybe Tocchet will bring him back to speed. I dunno. If he’s a long term extension, I dunno where the money comes from and who gets sacrificed. If he’s truly a rental, it’s nice having the money for next year but we need to make a run. I hate rentals and still have nightmares of what happened when we got Toffoli. 

Kuzmenko is very obviously talented but shaken and not a Tocchet guy. Love him but don’t want to hold him back. My problem is I think we really devalued him in this trade. Kuz on talent alone to me should have been able to get this deal done as a 1 for 1 or maybe a prospect added and that’s it. Kuz is signed through next year and gives them time to build his confidence back and swing him for a good haul at the next deadline. At worst he continues his lack of confidence and gets moved for something small next deadline. At best he regains form and comes back to haunt us for years to come. 

Picks and prospects and others: First point I’ll make is with what we paid it’s very disappointing we did not get any salary retention. As a team with no space and maybe needing another move, it seemed like getting Calgary to retain on a pending UFA should have been top priority. Getting an extra 2 mil or so for another potential move would have been huge. This to me is far and away the biggest failure of this deal at the moment. Hunter and Jurmo are good prospects and I think both can make the NHL one day. Sucks to see them go. I would love to see Hunter especially in his continued development and see where he goes. Right now these aren’t tough losses as neither is a top tier prospect for us, but that doesn’t mean it’s any easier to part with either. I revisit Gustav Forsling a lot and where he was when he was traded and that’s where I get worried when moving prospects. Yes, not everyone will pan out or develop into something amazing, but players in this development phase can really be tough to lose. Moving the 1st is another part I hate. Given how much I feel we gave up and not getting salary retention, I think it’s a major blow to move the 1st. I have no issue with us moving draft picks given our current roster and some high end prospects we currently have, but I just don’t think this was the right play given everything I mentioned. 

For my closing thoughts, if Lindholm is only a rental and we don’t win the cup, I will forever call this trade a failure. If he stays past this year and we don’t win the cup this year, then I guess only time will tell. 

I know most are happy with the trade but given how discussion were going and what fans were willing to pay Calgary for lindholm which was way less than what we ended up trading him for. What is reasonable now for tanev? We don’t really have draft picks other than a 3rd that might go to Calgary and late rounders this year.. not sure about using next years pick.. realistically outside of prospect we don’t really have any draft picks left this year that’ll move a trade?

Top 5 in goals against, good mix of size and mobility on D. Yet we all want a guy who played here a lifetime ago, who spent half the time in the infirmary. Our D is fine. Soucy will be good to go in 4 weeks. Juulsen has earned his spot as the 6-7 guy. Myers has been a pleasant surprise. No more shipping assets for UFA’s. this team didn’t get to top spot with a patchwork roster or lucky bounces. These guys deserve a chance. 

• Upvote 1

Who wants to see an all Swedish line?  🙋‍♂️

Hoglander     Pettersson    Lindholm

Mikheyev       Miller             Boeser

Joshua         Blueger          Garland

Aman            Suter             Lafferty

C'mon Tocchet, we know you want this.  Just do it...   

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Sergiomomesso said:

Top 5 in goals against, good mix of size and mobility on D. Yet we all want a guy who played here a lifetime ago, who spent half the time in the infirmary. Our D is fine. Soucy will be good to go in 4 weeks. Juulsen has earned his spot as the 6-7 guy. Myers has been a pleasant surprise. No more shipping assets for UFA’s. this team didn’t get to top spot with a patchwork roster or lucky bounces. These guys deserve a chance. 

also lindyH will help Canucks defensively - unless he plays unreal rest of season, I would doubt anyone would sign him to something like 6x6 at age 29 with his production down after tkachuk left