[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Who wants to see an all Swedish line?  🙋‍♂️

Hoglander     Pettersson    Lindholm

Mikheyev       Miller             Boeser

Joshua         Blueger          Garland

Aman            Suter             Lafferty

C'mon Tocchet, we know you want this.  Just do it...   

gives Canucks a lot of options

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Elias Pettersson, Elias Lindholm and Gabriel Landeskog playing on the same line for Sweden...

Who was the center on that line? They're all capable of playing the position.

8 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

I had a lot of faith in this management group, but they screwed the pooch on this deal. Way too much. 

Maybe....

However, if we go deep this year, I think its worth it... 

It's a gamble, but again I trust management to do the right thing. They've been gold thus far.

I think, Calgary demanded a good prospect to go with the 1st, after us picking up Zad for a 5th...

The rest of the season is going to be very interesting.

• Cheers 1

Is it possible we over rate our prospects? (I was looking forward to him signing)

I thought the Toronto Sun would say what a bad move, considering they never get these trades

Published Jan 31, 2024   •  4 minute read
The Vancouver Canucks aren’t fooling around

Hours after senior Manager's admitted they were hoping to get ahead of the NHL trade market, they did just that

Wednesday afternoon, Canucks GM Patrik Allvin made his boldest move yet: he added handy two-way forward Elias Lindholm from the Calgary Flames in a trade.

And the price really isn’t that steep: going to Calgary are winger Andrei Kuzmenko, the Canucks’ 1st round pick in this summer’s draft, a conditional fourth round pick, plus a pair of long-shot defence prospects in Joni Jurmo and Hunter Brzustewicz.

The first round pick dealt by the Canucks is likely to be in the high 20s, if not the 30s by the time the season is done.

Both prospects are long-shots: Jurmo is still just 21, but he’s mostly struggled to make an impact in the Finnish Liiga since being drafted in 2020 — indeed he was traded mid-season from league-leading Ilves to bottom-feeders KooKoo — while Brzustewicz has had an electric season in the OHL with the Kitchener Rangers, scoring 69 points in 47 games already, but most scouts still see a defenceman who will be more in the Travis Dermott mould than anything, should he make the NHL.

And the conditional fourth-round pick? Well the truth is very few NHLers come out of the draft after the third round anymore.

The bottom line to this trade is the Canucks are pushing their chips in to win a Stanley Cup. Brzustewicz is an interesting prospect, even if he’s a long shot. And that first round pick will almost certainly turn into a serviceable NHLer, though likely not a star. But both players are years away from being NHL regulars. Lindholm makes them better right now.

That 2021-22 season he did have Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk as linemates, so that would have a fair bit to do with his two-way success that season, but it’s also an obvious sign he’d be a good fit to play with a high-octane player like Pettersson.

Kuzmenko is making $5.5 million this season and the next but hadn’t scored since Christmas and only had two assists in January, despite plenty of time alongside Pettersson.

Interestingly, Lindholm’s cap hit is $650,000 cheaper than Kuzmenko’s, so the Canucks have actually cleared a little cap space in the deal while also adding the best player.

“I think people look at him and see a good player, but they don’t see the great player that we see,” Flames head coach Ryan Huska told the Calgary Herald recently. “He does everything really well and we know that, but some people around the league don’t see his offensive ability. He has proven in the past that he can play with high-end guys. He’s proven in the past, and continues to prove today, that he can shut top guys down. So we know it, but I don’t think everybody appreciates the type of player that he is.”

Canucks president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford has long been known for looking to get trades done well ahead of the NHL trade deadline — which this season isn’t until early March — and he even joked on Toronto radio on Wednesday that he and Allvin could make a trade before this weekend’s All-Star festivities in Toronto.

This is the second deal between the longtime Pacific Division rivals, after the Canucks picked up Nikita Zadorov in a trade at the end of November from the Flames.

Kuzmenko’s agent Dan Milstein said on social media on Wednesday night that his client had known about a possible trade to Calgary since the weekend, and ended up waiving his no-trade clause after speaking with Flames personnel. Kuzmenko had a 12-team no-trade clause in the two-year, $11 million deal he signed with the Canucks last year.

“Andrei Kuzmenko spoke with both the GM and Head Coach prior to agreeing to the trade. He is looking forward to joining the Calgary Flames. He is extremely appreciative for the support received from the team and fans over the last 1.5 years. Thank you for giving him the opportunity to play in the NHL and call Vancouver home,” Milstein wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter.

pjohnston@postmedia.com

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I still hope we add tanev somehow.

I hope kuz gets flipped to the caps for more picks.

Well now we're all two-way. Tocchet blamed kuz, i blame tocchet for not using him correctly and pettey and mik for being shells of themselves. If lindholm doesn't click then we may turn into the lotto line and pray for scoring if things go south.

Eesh i don't know.

Or,.... Lindholm does mesh with Petey and Mika, and we now have 3 scoring lines and good defensive second line and a 4th line that can score and battle as a great energy line... 

It may be as good a line up as 2011 or close... 

Let's have some faith my friend..... 

Gotta strike while the iron is hot 🙂

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, are we able to re-sign Lindholm in the summer?  The answer is YES!!!

Hoglander (1.1)      Pettersson (11.8)     Lindholm (7)

Mikheyev (4.75)    Miller (8)                  Boeser (6.65)

Joshua (3)             Suter (1.6)               Podkolzin (.95)

Bains (.816)           Aman (.825)            Lafferty (1.5)

UFA (.8)

Hughes (7.85)     Hronek (7)

Zadorov (4)         Myers (3)

Soucy (3)            Tanev (3)

Cole (1.5)            Juulsen (.775)

Demko (5)     DeSmith (1.5)

OEL (2.346)

Total: 87.7

We say goodbye to Blueger and Garland (via trade), and say hello to Podkolzin, Bains and Tanev!!!

We are still a cup contender, with Lekkerimaki, Willander and D-Petey on the way!!!

I think Blueger returns out of he, Joshua, and Lafferty. 

47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So what number will Elias L wear?  He is #28 for Calgary.  That number is out of circulation.  Cole wanted it and then took 82, so that is out too.

I predict he will wear #20.  He is 50% of the real Elias...   😊

• ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, are we able to re-sign Lindholm in the summer?  The answer is YES!!!

Hoglander (1.1)      Pettersson (11.8)     Lindholm (7)

Mikheyev (4.75)    Miller (8)                  Boeser (6.65)

Joshua (3)             Suter (1.6)               Podkolzin (.95)

Bains (.816)           Aman (.825)            Lafferty (1.5)

UFA (.8)

Hughes (7.85)     Hronek (7)

Zadorov (4)         Myers (3)

Soucy (3)            Tanev (3)

Cole (1.5)            Juulsen (.775)

Demko (5)     DeSmith (1.5)

OEL (2.346)

Total: 87.7

We say goodbye to Blueger and Garland (via trade), and say hello to Podkolzin, Bains and Tanev!!!

We are still a cup contender, with Lekkerimaki, Willander and D-Petey on the way!!!

Not bad, But I'd let Myers walk..Save that money and put it towards trying to preserve this yrs 3rd line. I think Juulsen is ready.

• Like 1

Personal opinion.  Overpayment.  

But can't argue that we go for it.  And can't argue we got what we needed.  

With both Petey amd Miller being really good on the wing I don't see we got more consistent lines.  But that we got the ability to put the lines in a blender.  

Do not like trading Brzus.  

33 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Jurmo is gone regardless in the summer, and the 4th is a toss in,,,

The first is going to be a late one, Kuz was always most likely going to be a casualty, so the big question mark is HB... 

If Lindholm jumps ship in the summer, it can be argued its was a mistake, but we really need to give them all the chances, we can, to do some damage come play offs.

Our future wasn't touched, which was the main thing.

tbh i would rather they given up raty karlsson any of the forwards or multiple forwards not named lekkerimaki instead of HB.. regardless let see how they fare in feb against the top tier teams. lindholm definitely make the canucks better especially defensively... personally i would have preferred a guentzel over lindholm if available.. outside of faceoff.. if lindholm is going to be playing with EP.. they pretty much redundant in defensive capability.. i would rather have a proven scorer and have 2 solid lines that can score with the 3rd line chipping in.. like Lindholm is great and a good 2 way forward.. well EP is already that and mikheyev is decent 2 way although lacking in offence.. unless they are planning on having the ep lindholm mikheyev as the shutdown line instead... coz this line defensively is lightyears ahead of the miller boeser and whoever line. so does that mean they are going to play against other teams top line instead of miller? and does that mean QH/Hronek going to primarily play with this line instead of the miller line now? and how would that affect the miller line production if they are not playing primarily with QH? it would make no sense if 3 of your best 2 way forwards is not matched up against other teams top line.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Personal opinion.  Overpayment.  

But can't argue that we go for it.  And can't argue we got what we needed.  

With both Petey amd Miller being really good on the wing I don't see we got more consistent lines.  But that we got the ability to put the lines in a blender.  

Do not like trading Brzus.  

why overpay?

very late first 

Kuz negative value and another year at 5.5

HB is nothing special

Jurmo is a guy we weee going to let go after this season. 

In return for this mess we got a top six C/W who is Selke level. Big win. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

He was never drafted for his offence. Dude was a two way guy that injured his way outta the league. He wasn't some OHL offensive juggernaut. His numbers weren't even that good on that team. He was a steady two way guy. Ya know what, I am tired of trying to explain to you folks that use the Juolevi comparison wrong all the time.

Everyone trashes on him but injurys and covid break, really screwed him, but doing hindsight over picks from along time ago is pointless. Stoked for the season to start again, don't know much about him but always stood out when we vs cgy

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

why overpay?

very late first 

Kuz negative value and another year at 5.5

HB is nothing special

Jurmo is a guy we weee going to let go after this season. 

In return for this mess we got a top six C/W who is Selke level. Big win. 

I guess some fans just don't ever want to see a cup in Vancouver;1st place team but let's think about future and not solidify us as a bonafide contender right now.

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

tbh i would rather they given up raty karlsson any of the forwards or multiple forwards not named lekkerimaki instead of HB.. regardless let see how they fare in feb against the top tier teams. lindholm definitely make the canucks better especially defensively... personally i would have preferred a guentzel over lindholm if available.. outside of faceoff.. if lindholm is going to be playing with EP.. they pretty much redundant in defensive capability.. i would rather have a proven scorer and have 2 solid lines that can score with the 3rd line chipping in.. like Lindholm is great and a good 2 way forward.. well EP is already that and mikheyev is decent 2 way although lacking in offence.. unless they are planning on having the ep lindholm mikheyev as the shutdown line instead... coz this line defensively is lightyears ahead of the miller boeser and whoever line. so does that mean they are going to play against other teams top line instead of miller? and does that mean QH/Hronek going to primarily play with this line instead of the miller line now? and how would that affect the miller line production if they are not playing primarily with QH? it would make no sense if 3 of your best 2 way forwards is not matched up against other teams top line.

I'm sure Allvin would have preferred a 'lesser' prospect than HB (not sure Raty is), but if this was the deal breaker, I don't think Allvin would be too concerned... I understand, why folks are a little disappointed in losing HB with him breaking all kinds of records, but at the same time Rathbone, who was a great points producer, never made it with us, as he couldn't defend at NHL level... also prices and accolades has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Lockwood and Gaudette were holy Baker winners, but not really that impressive at NHL level.

As for line c combinations, I think that is far from a foregone conclusion... Lindholm may anchor the second line with Mika and Suter/Hogs or another, while keeping the lotto line together. I do think Petey and Lindholm with Mika makes a lot of sense though...

• Like 2