[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

2 minutes ago, Mc1laren said:

Wasnt it Bach who mentioned in one of the recent games where the Canucks won a few a faceoffs and kept pressure in the offensive zone that faceoff wins are massive come playoff time or something along those lines. This is huge for us. 

i think what is meant less whistles are called, meaning less chance for puck possesions..

8 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Lindholm doesn’t have to outscore Kuzy. 

EL is the kind of  two way forward that this team needs, especially for a ‘run’. 

He brings faceoffs and defensive skills but we need some scoring out of line 2. We're all two way now, exactly as tocchet wants but did we lose creativity, a different skillset for big games that could bite us? We'll see...

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We actually just gained 650k.

I think we still have room for another add with retention.

I think we have 1.86 mill in cap space now and likely more if Soucy is used for LTIR. Im confident that well be adding another defensive defenseman. 

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its comparable but I'd say the NYI package was better.

Kuzmenko is better than Beauvillier, Raty / Hunter are basically a wash, but the 1st rounder we got was way more valuable than the one we're trading today. 

Raty and Brust are not a wash in my opinion. Raty was a top prospect at one point and further along his development path. Brust likely doesnt see any ice time in the pros for another 3-4 years and thats only if he improves his skating. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Or,.... Lindholm does mesh with Petey and Mika, and we now have 3 scoring lines and good defensive second line and a 4th line that can score and battle as a great energy line... 

It may be as good a line up as 2011 or close... 

Let's have some faith my friend..... 

Gotta strike while the iron is hot 🙂

It's all on pettey for me. He needs to get back to being him. I hope lindholm compliments him. We'll see. Other question of course is who will be tocchet's new whipping boy now - if pettey struggles will it be him?

I fully understand the need to go all in, not mad at it as you never know what can happen in later seasons. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, fanofvan said:

Are Mikheyev and Suter or Hoglander high end linemates?

Hoglander has 14 5 on 5 goals playing 10 min a night. He may not be high end but hell get there. Also Lindholm likely slots next to Petey. 

Lindholm Pettersson Mikhayev

or 

Hoglander Lindholm Mikhayev

if they decide to keep the lotto line together

1 minute ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

It's all on pettey for me. He needs to get back to being him. I hope lindholm compliments him. We'll see. Other question of course is who will be tocchet's new whipping boy now - if pettey struggles will it be him?

I fully understand the need to go all in, not mad at it as you never know what can happen in later seasons. 

Agree on both counts....

Lets hope the new whipping boy is "Fin" 🙂

7 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

The two are not really comparable. Raty was kind of a meh prospect in a weak system of NYI. People remember him for being a PROJECTED 1st rounder. He's obviously not that. A decent player, yes, but not much there, granted he is two years older and has shown more than Brzustewicz, at least on the professional level.

I would've wanted Brzu though.

Meh prospect? Where exactly did you get this info from? He was a highly touted prospect and seems to be on a great path to take over as a 3c as early as next year as a defensive center. Brust likely tops out as a specialized pp qb with a top 4 ceiling at best. He would not have had that opportunity here with Hughes. 

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Canucks fans are mind boggling sometimes.

Instead of getting excited for going on a run they’re clamouring over prospects they just learned about months ago…

Anyone who doesn’t realize we just improved our roster big time is lost.

Sucked for so long  forgot what it's like to trade assets for a run.

• ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

I think Monahan OBJECTIVELY would've been a better choice because of the cap space freed (3M is not nothing). We can add another defenseman if we had to and because we had cap space, we could've leveraged in a trade with a team that was in need of cap space.

IMHO.

My friend, youve brought up this point multiple times but youre assuming MTL would have taken Kuzmenko back in exchange for Monohan. Just because Kuz worked for the flames doesnt mean he wouldve worked for the Canadiens. So OBJECTIVELY your premise that he would have been a better choice because of the cap space doesnt work here. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

Sucked for so long  forgot what it's like to trade assets for a run.

This is very real in my experience.  A lot of fans have forgotten what it’s like to watch hockey with THIS year in mind.  

It’s quite refreshing for me!  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

To be honest, who cares about 4-6 years into the future....

We are in the moment..... the moment we've been waiting over a decade for...

Yep time to sit back and enjoy.   With that bit of cap space, go hard after Marooon, and we've got the final piece.   

• Like 2

Holy crap. Was not expecting that. Don’t know why, we are talking PA after all. 
A  1st, a good prospect, a 4th and a throw in prospect and a struggling winger who we got for free.
Hope he doesn’t mess up the chemistry.
Damn we look good down the middle assuming his regression over the last 2 years had to do with the Flames more than him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Or,.... Lindholm does mesh with Petey and Mika, and we now have 3 scoring lines and good defensive second line and a 4th line that can score and battle as a great energy line... 

It may be as good a line up as 2011 or close... 

Let's have some faith my friend..... 

Gotta strike while the iron is hot 🙂

The forward group was already at least as good as 2011 before this trade, this pushes the 2024 team over the top.     Tochett must be grinning from ear to ear.   He can keep the Lotto line together if he wants, and create a suitable line with Lindholm, or even better,  make a top line with EP and Lindholm,  which slides the Miller line down.   Hard to find a better top six league wide.    Lindholm is very very good away from the puck.    The Thirst line also gets a boost, the other teams will be hard pressed to match up against us.    See a lot of first period goals, followed by coasting to the finish line in our future.

Four legit all-stars in the top six.    Two more overall then  2011 (Hronek should be going too) , and Joshua, Garland, Bluegar  equal with the Torres line.   Fourth line, this one is  better too.    7 all-stars verus 4.    And QH > then any of them really.   He's one of the best in the league, any position.   Up there with  McKinnon. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, are we able to re-sign Lindholm in the summer?  The answer is YES!!!

Hoglander (1.1)      Pettersson (11.8)     Lindholm (7)

Mikheyev (4.75)    Miller (8)                  Boeser (6.65)

Joshua (3)             Suter (1.6)               Podkolzin (.95)

Bains (.816)           Aman (.825)            Lafferty (1.5)

UFA (.8)

Hughes (7.85)     Hronek (7)

Zadorov (4)         Myers (3)

Soucy (3)            Tanev (3)

Cole (1.5)            Juulsen (.775)

Demko (5)     DeSmith (1.5)

OEL (2.346)

Total: 87.7

We say goodbye to Blueger and Garland (via trade), and say hello to Podkolzin, Bains and Tanev!!!

We are still a cup contender, with Lekkerimaki, Willander and D-Petey on the way!!!

I like what you are doing but EP 40 is getting north of 12, maybe even 13 if he stars in the playoffs.

I think you can get EL for <7 and term will be key, example, he will say yes to 6x6 if that's what you really want... too old for long term I could see 6.5x 3 or 4 yrs happening

Hroneck gets 7-7.5.

I would say good bye to Laff and resign Bluegger at 2 x 3 yrs, he would do that

The D looks all reasonable if you give them term, but I do not love Zads at 4... 3.75 x 4-5 years - I think he takes that if he likes Van because rumour was he wanted term and I do not think he has earned a raise on his current cap hit.

I agree with Joshua at 3

I think Bains or Aman could even improve to point where they play on 3rd line.

EP 40 - 13.00 (=1.2)

EL - 6.5 (= -.5)

FH = 7.5 (+.5)

LAFF = -1.5

BLUEGS = +2

ZADS = -.25

PDG = -0.05 (no need for another ugh at .8)

=+ 1.5 in cap from what you have - so may have to say goodbye to Cole....  if truly want to bring in Tanev, keep zad and Myers...

But that team still looks awesome

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Haha I just realized that Lindholm was Calgary’s all star.  Six guys at the game this weekend.  Wow

Hronek should be here too.   This team has 7 legit all-stars under the old format (only players deserving were sent).     Pretty sick. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

why overpay?

very late first 

Kuz negative value and another year at 5.5

HB is nothing special

Jurmo is a guy we weee going to let go after this season. 

In return for this mess we got a top six C/W who is Selke level. Big win. 

When I saw this deal I wondered who would feed Kuz in Calgary? But that is their problem now, Kuz was not happening in Van. So what convinced Calgary to take an extra year of Kuz salary? A low 1st rdr and HB plus Lindholm being a UFA. Obviously other NHL teams were not offering more. 

I think the interesting aspect of this deal Alf is how Petey views this deal. If the Canucks go deep in CUP play and Lindholm shines then PA likely wants to resign him. Meanwhile Petey is also wanting his deal. Petey always says he wants to be on a winner. Does he resign for less than market to ensure a competitive team? How many examples do players have to see before they realize that high end contracts for core players sink their CUP chances. Laffers, TBay, and Oilers? 

Another aspect is Canuck scouting's take on HB. They must have been asked about how his game projected versus their other prospects. It is a calculated trade of a D+1 player who is shining right now. But Canucks have depth now which they did not even a few years ago. 

I think this deal will possibly see Mik dropped down the lineup. For sure RT has some time to experiment and fine tune. This is another aspect of the deal which shines IMHO. PA pulled the trigger ahead of the TDL nonsense and also gave RT time to work Lindholm into his roster.

Beauty deal.

Does this deal make the Flamers the official farm team of the Canucks?

Edited by Boudrias
  • ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Holy crap. Was not expecting that. Don’t know why, we are talking PA after all. 
A  1st, a good prospect, a 4th and a throw in prospect and a struggling winger who we got for free.
Hope he doesn’t mess up the chemistry.
Damn we look good down the middle assuming his regression over the last 2 years had to do with the Flames more than him. 

We basically just added a Horvat back.   Look at it that way.   

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

When I saw this deal I wondered who would feed Kuz in Calgary? But that is there problem now, Kuz was not happening in Van. So what convinced Calgary to take an extra year of Kuz salary? A low 1st rdr and HB plus Lindholm being a UFA. Obviously other NHL teams were not offering more. 

I think the interesting aspect of this deal Alf is how Petey views this deal. If the Canucks go deep in CUP play and Lindholm shines then PA likely wants to resign him. Meanwhile Petey is also wanting his deal. Petey always says he wants to be on a winner. Does he resign for less than market to ensure a competitive team? How many examples do players have to see before they realize that high end contracts for core players sink their CUP chances. Laffers, TBay, and Oilers? 

Another aspect is Canuck scouting's take on HB. They must have been asked about how his game projected versus their other prospects. It is a calculated trade of a D+1 player who is shining right now. But Canucks have depth now which they did not even a few years ago. 

I could see them flipping Kuzmenko to Chicago for like VAN 2nd + a 3rd, I think they would prefer cap flexibility