[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

26 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

He is better than Horvat, and will be cheaper if we re-sign. He is an all star and has had selke talk around him for 5 years 

Won't get into better or worse.   Horvat is actually earning his contract this year.   Horvat's entire career minus first rookie one, and the bubble run (where he was very good, especially matching up against O'Reilly), he played on trash teams.   Aside from Brocks rookie year, the next best player he got was Pearson.    LE was on his line.     Guy's a reliable 30 plus goal center.    On pace for 36-38 again this year.    Takes a ton of face offs, and was used by Green against other teams top lines.    

Know he gets picked on now, especially because of his passiveness (which I wasn't a fan of),  I'm not sure we can outright say Lindholm is a better player.  How would Horvat do in the same circumstances, and vice versa.   Going to need to watch him.    Was a Selke finalist...so expecting some good things.    Two big seasons.     

The point I was making, is, we just got a "Horvat" back, as in our elite center depth.   3 30 plus goal scoring centers, has been a Unicorn in this league for a couple decades now.    It's rare.    Just to be clear, we got back our center depth.    Pretty amazing really, the job they've managed.   Tochett and the players especially for buying in.   Expect Lindholm won't take long to adjust, he's too skilled not to get it. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

It looks like a big haul for Calgary right now, given that Lindholm is a UFA, but it's too early to tell. 

If Lindholm re-signs, if Hunter doesn't meet expectations, if Calgary flips Kuzmenko for a big haul, if Kuzmenko fits well with Huberdeau... too many unknowns to pick a trade winner quite yet.

I wouldn't have made this trade for a UFA but I've been wrong many times. I was devastated when we moved on from prospects in the past, like Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Subban, even Nicklas Jensen. I was wrong then... I'm probably wrong now.

If I was calgary id try to sell Kuzmenko with money retained to a top team for a decent package, unless Calgary thinks they can turn it around lol

• Upvote 1

Woke up this morning, got to work, open Sportsnet app and saw this trade.  I think this is a win-win trade, especially if Kuzmenko can loosen up and start scoring.  Impressive move from Allvin. 1st rounder this year is going to be in the high 20s if not 32.  Shows the boys he believes in them if nothing else. 

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

tbh i would rather they given up raty karlsson any of the forwards or multiple forwards not named lekkerimaki instead of HB.. regardless let see how they fare in feb against the top tier teams. lindholm definitely make the canucks better especially defensively... personally i would have preferred a guentzel over lindholm if available.. outside of faceoff.. if lindholm is going to be playing with EP.. they pretty much redundant in defensive capability.. i would rather have a proven scorer and have 2 solid lines that can score with the 3rd line chipping in.. like Lindholm is great and a good 2 way forward.. well EP is already that and mikheyev is decent 2 way although lacking in offence.. unless they are planning on having the ep lindholm mikheyev as the shutdown line instead... coz this line defensively is lightyears ahead of the miller boeser and whoever line. so does that mean they are going to play against other teams top line instead of miller? and does that mean QH/Hronek going to primarily play with this line instead of the miller line now? and how would that affect the miller line production if they are not playing primarily with QH? it would make no sense if 3 of your best 2 way forwards is not matched up against other teams top line.

The point is the Canucks retained all their top tier prospects and the bubble guys like Karlsson to provide depth and youth still coming up onto the roster over the coming years.

Brzustewicz is not going to challenging for an NHL role for 3+ years. The team sold high on his monstrous OHL production. He very likely will be a productive defenseman as he rises up through the ranks but defense looks like a less certain aspect of his game. But to the point, he won't help while the Canucks open this window to challenge.

When you try to upgrade the NHL roster, the players don't care about picks or longer term prospects. This management group has shown they are adding to the NHL product while still investing in younger players. A couple studs to develop.

One area PA has shown a sill already is the European and college free agent market. They now have near half a dozen quality prospects through signings. Tolopilo, Sasson, Johansson, McDonaugh, Hirose, Aman, McWard and so on.

Its an exciting time, nice having confidence in what is happening here. Very driven and focused.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Won't get into better or worse.   Horvat is actually earning his contract this year.   Horvat's entire career minus first rookie one, and the bubble run (where he was very good, especially matching up against O'Reilly), he played on trash teams.   Aside from Brocks rookie year, the next best player he got was Pearson.    LE was on his line.     Guy's a reliable 30 plus goal center.    On pace for 36-38 again this year.    Takes a ton of face offs, and was used by Green against other teams top lines.    

Know he gets picked on now, especially because of his passiveness (which I wasn't a fan of),  I'm not sure we can outright say Lindholm is a better player.  How would Horvat do in the same circumstances, and vice versa.   Going to need to watch him.    Was a Selke finalist...so expecting some good things.    Two big seasons.     

The point I was making, is, we just got a "Horvat" back, as in our elite center depth.   3 30 plus goal scoring centers, has been a Unicorn in this league for a couple decades now.    It's rare.    Just to be clear, we got back our center depth.    Pretty amazing really, the job they've managed.   Tochett and the players especially for buying in.   Expect Lindholm won't take long to adjust, he's too skilled not to get it. 

Lindholm is a much more complete player than Horfat Wallet. They are really not at all comparable. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Lafferty, Zadorov, Hronek, Lindholm and DeSmith all on the team because we had the picks/prospects needed to acquire them.

Picks and prospects are just so valuable.  Not some wild gamble that may or may not pay off for 5+ years as some people would have you believe.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This is a great trade, for points mentioned by many of you already.

Kuzmenko - Love the guy, wish him well, but we all know we needed more from that spot in the lineup.

Hunter Brzustewics - Obviously scoring like a machine in the OHL. However, offence at that level is a crap shoot to translate down the road. Sold high, smart.

Joni Jurmo - lol, pretty much officially bust territory

1st Rounder - Going to be a late pick, something about a bird in hand vs bushes? This was always an expected piece.

Conditional 4th - shrug

For:

- A second line, near Selke level centre allowing maximum usage/configurations in our top 6. My favourite part? FO% 55.5 this season. Best C depth in the league.

- We save 0.65M in cap space. Aids in acquiring more D depth closer to the deadline.

- A future in tact - Willander, D-Petey, Lekker, Podz, Hoglander, Silovs, all our nearing high level prospects are still here.

I don't think anyone can make a legitimate case against this trade. All these factors and at an absolutely critical time. Love how this management doesn't waste any time with bidding wars and just gets down to business.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why would a top team want Kuzmenko? 

I personally think he's having an off year, might never be super good defensively but was improving I thought, who knows might start killing it, still rooting for the dude, doubt Flames make the playoffs, so would help them drop lol

• Cheers 1

Oilers add Corey Perry… we add Lindholm.  That is some serious escalation on our part!  🙂

Like the Connery quote from The Untouchables.

”They pull a knife, you pull a gun.  They put one of yours in the hospital, you put one of theirs in the morgue…”

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TNucks1 said:

I personally think he's having an off year, might never be super good defensively but was improving I thought, who knows might start killing it, still rooting for the dude, doubt Flames make the playoffs, so would help them drop lol

Kuz Missile is awesome. Will always cheer for him. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

My big concern is that Kuzy exploded last year and has half an "average" season with us - I wouldn't say bad. Maybe the fit was bad, but what does this message say to other players - if you have 40 average games, you're out?

I get the need for the trade and Kuzmenko wasn't living up to his potential and cap and coaching style but it certainly leaves a sour taste in your mouth. 

Good trade to get what we need and the best available player out there but we just offered a boat-load and you know it's what Conroy wanted.

Garland, Joshua, Boeser, Hoglander, etc were all given the same treatment as Kuzy, but they all responded and turned it around. Unfortunately, for Kuzy, he wasn't able to under this system, which is why he wasn't a good fit here. I hope, for his sake, he fits with the Lames' system and he is able to sign another good contract in his career, but we want cups, and his style of play is not one that will help us get one or more. Lindholm's is, though.

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

maybe but still it feels quite steep for a rental.

Basically Canucks gave up more than what the Canucks were asking for JT Miller before his extension.

1st Round Pick
Brzustewicz - My understanding is that he was starting to be become a A prospect 
Joni Jurmo - I guess he's a C Prospect
4th Round Pick
Andrei Kuzmenko - maybe Flames just see him as a cap dump ?

That's quite a package 

How will you feel when they re-sign Lindholm? 

5 hours ago, awalk said:

Keys to the deal for me:

Lindholm plays center and wing, that's hugely valuable when you consider that JT and Petey also play both positions. Gives that top 6 a ton of flexibility.

Kuzmenkos contract is off the books for next year. That 5mil in cap space could help tremendously.

That 1st rounder is going to be in the 20s, likely 25-32 at this point. It's apparently a somewhat weak first round after the top 15. The Canucks finally picked an opportune time to trade their 1st. 

Willander and D Petey are still ours.

Not just centre, but he's a right-handed centre. I can't stress enough how important this is for us. We didn't have a rhc before Lindy. He plays pk1, wins 55%FO, and was a Selke runner up two years ago. And he's right-handed(!)

Allvin will not let Lindholm walk (we have easy options to make it work), so this trade is a homerun for us. Legit contenders for the next five years. We will be winning one cup minimum over the next five years. 

• Like 2

I dunno how we're gonna make the cap work in the offseason with new deals for EP40, Zad, Hronek, Lindholm plus guys like Joshua etc.... BB6 next yr... the OEL dead cap coming....

I will say tho this is one scary team and this trade puts us in a whole new stratosphere.  Cup or bust baby!!!

LETS FkN GO!!!

Edited by Bobby Lou

3 minutes ago, Bobby Lou said:

I dunno how we're gonna make the cap work in the offseason with new deals for EP40, Zad, Hronek, Lindholm plus guys like Joshua etc.... BB6 next yr... the OEL dead cap coming....

I will say tho this is one scary team and this trade puts us in a whole new stratosphere.  Cup or bust baby!!!

LETS FkN Go!!!

Kuzy and the cap space we have right now is enough to get Lindy done.

The cap increase will cover Petey. 

Let Cole walk and there's enough to up Hronek. If anyone else doesn't want to stick around and instead chase the bag, let them. Our big guys will all be locked in and we can promote Higs, Podz, Bains, etc. 

We don't have cap issues anymore. Allvin & Co are fucking ballers.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jim McMahon said:

I don’t know where Friedman gets his information but why the fk would we trade Zadorov. Dump Myers FFS. 

C943A3BB-FABA-4E0B-BF8E-3705A831577A.jpeg

Maybe it’s Z to a club for picks/prospects and then we use those assets to get Tanev? 

• Cheers 1

Another point about the timing of the trade is that Lindholm now gets a few full days to hang out with our elite players instead of just jumping into the line up with high expectations.

He can chill for a few days and get to know JT, Petey, BB, Huggy, Demko, and Tocchet.

He will be ready to rock for our first game back next Tuesday.

This is awesome!!

I wonder what else Jim has up his sleeve? Maybe Mik for a big tough winger for the playoffs? ..and a D as backup?

• Like 1