[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

6 hours ago, fanofvan said:

This is straight from his scouting report "With his edge work and skating ability, he can run a five-on-five cycle, and quarterback a top power-play unit without much difficulty."  

Hughes and Hronek are already that. We also have Willander. 

Hunter is a great prospect, but he doesn't align with the future needs of this team, so might as well sell high on a guy who's being hyped up this season. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

not sure if it's been posted here yet...just heard on sportsnet that the conditional 4th pick turns into a 3rd IF we make the western final. 

I wondered if it were based on whether we re-signed him. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Won't get into better or worse.   Horvat is actually earning his contract this year.   Horvat's entire career minus first rookie one, and the bubble run (where he was very good, especially matching up against O'Reilly), he played on trash teams.   Aside from Brocks rookie year, the next best player he got was Pearson.    LE was on his line.     Guy's a reliable 30 plus goal center.    On pace for 36-38 again this year.    Takes a ton of face offs, and was used by Green against other teams top lines.    

Know he gets picked on now, especially because of his passiveness (which I wasn't a fan of),  I'm not sure we can outright say Lindholm is a better player.  How would Horvat do in the same circumstances, and vice versa.   Going to need to watch him.    Was a Selke finalist...so expecting some good things.    Two big seasons.     

The point I was making, is, we just got a "Horvat" back, as in our elite center depth.   3 30 plus goal scoring centers, has been a Unicorn in this league for a couple decades now.    It's rare.    Just to be clear, we got back our center depth.    Pretty amazing really, the job they've managed.   Tochett and the players especially for buying in.   Expect Lindholm won't take long to adjust, he's too skilled not to get it. 

Exactly IBatch we essentially got a Horvat back and have elite Center depth all through lineup. One of the biggest issues I saw before the break was how we got dominated in the FO circles when Miller not Blueger were on the ice. We now have another excellent FO guy (EP is not great).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Lol

JR has a pattern he has imparted on PA... get your big moves done early, avoids time pressure, stress which can cause poor decisions, bring players in early, help get them comfortable asap.

Oh and by the way... who drafted Lindholm in CAR??? Jimmy R 

He likes the guys he likes and he likes the guys he knows.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

not sure if it's been posted here yet...just heard on sportsnet that the conditional 4th pick turns into a 3rd IF we make the western final. 

I wondered if it were based on whether we re-signed him. 

I thought it was posted it was our 4th round pick or New Jersey 4th round pick which ever Calgary wanted?

For those that are struggling with the loss of Hunter B in this trade, lemme try and ease things a bit...

Enter Zayne Parekh of the Saginaw Spirit in the OHL.

Parekh is 2 years younger than Hunter, a 6' 180lbs RHD that currently leads his team in scoring.  A team that is NOT as stacked as Hunter's Kitchener Rangers.  Yet Parekh is only 3 points behind Hunter with 66 points in 44 games vs Hunter who has 69 points in 47 games.

So in fact on a points per game basis, Parekh is likely ahead of Hunter.

So despite being 2 years younger, also a RHD, also a very good skater, also a PP1 QB, and better production on a worse team... Parekh is ranked for this years draft:

7th by Sportsnet

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/scouts-analysis-ranking-the-top-32-prospects-for-the-2024-nhl-draft/

10th by Craig Button and TSN

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draftcentre/craig-s-list-celebrini-eiserman-top-rankings-ahead-of-world-juniors-1.2042606

So honestly, Hunter is likely a late 1st round pick or maybe even a 2nd round pick in terms of value considering he's doing what he is doing at 19 years of age in the OHL.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

We only moved one underperforming roster player. Everything else is uncertain if Cowtown got NHL players or not.

I don't hate the trade I like it. But I believe this trade is almost completely a cup move and if we don't get the cup then I will wish we didn't give up those assets. 

Who knows what lindholm will want in a contract but his ask will likely put alot of pressure on the team elsewhere in the lineup. 

Almost everyone in the media is saying the sparks got a haul. Conroy said the Canucks offer beat every other team and that fourth becomes a third if we reach conference final. 

This trade meets our needs right now, Calgary needs long term. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Exactly IBatch we essentially got a Horvat back and have elite Center depth all through lineup. One of the biggest issues I saw before the break was how we got dominated in the FO circles when Miller not Blueger were on the ice. We now have another excellent FO guy (EP is not great).

On another thread, comparing the 2011 team to the 94 and 2024 team.    Feel that the 2024 team forward group matches up just fine with 2011 prior to this trade.    Close enough, edge either way really.    Now it's for sure superior, and can compete with that 94 team as well.    This is something, i've been saying since our hot start - that our first round pick should be on the table.   

What a difference a year has made.    All our better players are having career years or in their primes, our support players are finally good again too.    Allvins only work now, is to pry Marroon out of MIN.    Unless we have an injury that requires something (knocking on wood).    EDM has some dirt bags, guys that could get their elbows up, and decide to, or try and take out either QHs or EP.    Every team will play them hard.     If he can manage that, we go from contenders, to favourites.  

One thing that really matters as well is,  Lindholm gets lots of time to settle in.   

See a lot of early game leads, and coasting in the future.   That's how Tochett set things up.   Once we have a comfortable lead, he reduces minutes on our top players.     Hopefully that will carry us into the playoffs, where all out all the time is required for 20-28 games or so to win a cup. 

Edited by IBatch

8 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I don't hate the trade I like it. But I believe this trade is almost completely a cup move and if we don't get the cup then I will wish we didn't give up those assets. 

Who knows what lindholm will want in a contract but his ask will likely put alot of pressure on the team elsewhere in the lineup. 

Almost everyone in the media is saying the sparks got a haul. Conroy said the Canucks offer beat every other team and that fourth becomes a third if we reach conference final. 

It's a fair trade.   It does other things as well.  Gives EP a chance to show the brass what he can do with a very good different style center.  Lindholm might not be a rental either.   Wouldn't surprise me, one bit, if he's the first guy the team signs.     The team can pivot in the off season in multiple directions.    Sure hope that 4th becomes a 3rd. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Meets our needs long term too. We added another key piece. A late first is a magic bean. HB is likely not an nhl pkayer on a winner. Jurmo we were letting go anywsy. He’s a dough head. We gave up nothing. 
Accept the fact Allvin and our new management are great and know what they’re doing. Benning/Brod are long gone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

I like what you are doing but EP 40 is getting north of 12, maybe even 13 if he stars in the playoffs.

I think you can get EL for <7 and term will be key, example, he will say yes to 6x6 if that's what you really want... too old for long term I could see 6.5x 3 or 4 yrs happening

Hroneck gets 7-7.5.

I would say good bye to Laff and resign Bluegger at 2 x 3 yrs, he would do that

The D looks all reasonable if you give them term, but I do not love Zads at 4... 3.75 x 4-5 years - I think he takes that if he likes Van because rumour was he wanted term and I do not think he has earned a raise on his current cap hit.

I agree with Joshua at 3

I think Bains or Aman could even improve to point where they play on 3rd line.

EP 40 - 13.00 (=1.2)

EL - 6.5 (= -.5)

FH = 7.5 (+.5)

LAFF = -1.5

BLUEGS = +2

ZADS = -.25

PDG = -0.05 (no need for another ugh at .8)

=+ 1.5 in cap from what you have - so may have to say goodbye to Cole....  if truly want to bring in Tanev, keep zad and Myers...

But that team still looks awesome

swear to god you should never do a salary structure estimate again...

Confused Thinking GIF

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RawkDrummer said:

Thanks goodness it wasn't Monahan.

Absolutely.   That's a half measure.   Wouldn't have been terrible either.   Half measure's, at this point we are way past that.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

He brings faceoffs and defensive skills but we need some scoring out of line 2. We're all two way now, exactly as tocchet wants but did we lose creativity, a different skillset for big games that could bite us? We'll see...

Well, Lindholm potted over 40 goals with Tkachuk and Gaudreau.

With Petey and a suitable third part on that line it will be really good.

So

Lekkerimäki Petey Lindholm

Boeser Miller Hogz maybe…

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Yup it was a solid return.

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

On another thread, comparing the 2011 team to the 94 and 2024 team.    Feel that the 2024 team forward group matches up just fine with 2011 prior to this trade.    Close enough, edge either way really.    Now it's for sure superior, and can compete with that 94 team as well.    This is something, i've been saying since our hot start - that our first round pick should be on the table.   

What a difference a year has made.    All our better players are having career years or in their primes, our support players are finally good again too.    Allvins only work now, is to pry Marroon out of MIN.    Unless we have an injury that requires something (knocking on wood).    EDM has some dirt bags, guys that could get their elbows up, and decide to, or try and take out either QHs or EP.    Every team will play them hard.     If he can manage that, we go from contenders, to favourites.  

One thing that really matters as well is,  Lindholm gets lots of time to settle in.   

See a lot of early game leads, and coasting in the future.   That's how Tochett set things up.   Once we have a comfortable lead, he reduces minutes on our top players.     Hopefully that will carry us into the playoffs, where all out all the time is required for 20-28 games or so to win a cup. 

Lindholm simply completes our fwd group; he is not a rental IMO unless he asks for ridiculous term OR $. With the teams chemistry, quality of team, and the fact that RT is a players coach, I could see him being very happy here. 

As you mentioned, our one hole is that big ver winger to play on 3rd/4th line. Maroon or Perry type. A move like that is not all that tough nor expensive; this was the biggy.