[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

Just now, awalk said:

These Zadorov rumors are so odd. No reason to trade him 

the usual media clowns throwing crap at the wall seeing what sticks.

Sounds like this deal started heating up on Sunday, and no news got out. We seem to have quite a tight lipped group.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't think we will see Petey a lot down the middle.  Lindholm and Miller are both stronger centres than Petey.  Petey is a natural winger.  Always has been in his career.  I bet he takes off after the all star break playing primarily winger minutes.

It's a distinct possibility.    They could also share the dot.   EP the left side,  Lindholm the right.    Will be interesting to see where Tochett goes with this.     Nice thing is, he's got an extra month or so. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

lol.  Don't need to do that.   Compare two players on the team.    That "hot head" plays a power game, and you're not going to win a cup with pure skill ever in this league.   EP falling down all over the place also costs the team at times; also think it's at times deliberate to draw a penalty which is smart.   Love that about him.  

The Lotto Line has its moments, but agree they should be on different lines.  

What I mean is that Miller and Petey isn’t a fit as hand in glove.

Petey probably shake his head to Millers emotions as Miller shakes his head when Petey falls over. This is not a dig on one of them.

It’s just psychology again with me.

Players work better together if they fully respect each other. Not just parts of their game.

So Petey will learn the next step by Lindy to become a better seike candidate.

No way that JR/PA does this if we were a mid pack team fighting to stay in a playoff position.  You have to give up a bit of your future for a playoff run if you are a team leading the league at the ASB.  Almost every single successful team would do this if they felt that there are small holes to fill to put you over the top.

As for our cap next year, we can’t worry about that.  Management hit on practically all their trades and FA signings.  It’s not by luck.  I have trust that they will find some gems again to replace the players that are priced out.

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

On another thread, comparing the 2011 team to the 94 and 2024 team.    Feel that the 2024 team forward group matches up just fine with 2011 prior to this trade.    Close enough, edge either way really.    Now it's for sure superior, and can compete with that 94 team as well.    This is something, i've been saying since our hot start - that our first round pick should be on the table.   

What a difference a year has made.    All our better players are having career years or in their primes, our support players are finally good again too.    Allvins only work now, is to pry Marroon out of MIN.    Unless we have an injury that requires something (knocking on wood).    EDM has some dirt bags, guys that could get their elbows up, and decide to, or try and take out either QHs or EP.    Every team will play them hard.     If he can manage that, we go from contenders, to favourites.  

One thing that really matters as well is,  Lindholm gets lots of time to settle in.   

See a lot of early game leads, and coasting in the future.   That's how Tochett set things up.   Once we have a comfortable lead, he reduces minutes on our top players.     Hopefully that will carry us into the playoffs, where all out all the time is required for 20-28 games or so to win a cup. 

maroon and Sissons... (fine i'll pronounce it right) or Tanev...

Colton Sissons...

image.thumb.png.9effb903c1025abf0cffb1cade330017.png

Chris Tanev

image.png.bbafb6e089f740695ea2372eaace7dcb.png

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, LillStrimma said:

What I mean is that Miller and Petey isn’t a fit as hand in glove.

Petey probably shake his head to Millers emotions as Miller shakes his head when Petey falls over. This is not a dig on one of them.

It’s just psychology again with me.

Players work better together if they fully respect each other. Not just parts of their game.

So Petey will learn the next step by Lindy to become a better seike candidate.

Lindholm, is a great player, and think they will make some magic together.  It takes a village as they say.     Pretty great village they just made. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I just like the idea of Petey and Lindholm being creative together. 

So we have what, 33 games to let these guys gel? wow. I love these early moves. Yes its more expensive but I think the gel time is worth it. 

Yeah it makes a huge difference to have those many games together.  The TDL is too late in the season IMO.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

It's all on pettey for me. He needs to get back to being him. I hope lindholm compliments him. We'll see. Other question of course is who will be tocchet's new whipping boy now - if pettey struggles will it be him?

I fully understand the need to go all in, not mad at it as you never know what can happen in later seasons. 

I'm sure he will.  He's always had nice things to say about Petey since they were linemates at the Worlds

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

So Satiar Shaw was going off about this 2M player by the deadline. Looks like we are likely still going to add 

God Of War Ps5 GIF by PlayStation

I like Suter a lot, but it would be nice to add some more size to Miller and Brock's line. 

I don't think the Canucks have ever had this kind of centre depth in the history of the franchise.  We pretty much have three 1Cs, a 3C that is playing like a 2C (Blueger), a floating centre in Suter, and a 4C type in Aman. 

If we wanted ultimate depth down the middle, it could look like:

1C

1C

1C

2C (3C)

Wowza.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

It's all on pettey for me. He needs to get back to being him. I hope lindholm compliments him. We'll see. Other question of course is who will be tocchet's new whipping boy now - if pettey struggles will it be him?

I fully understand the need to go all in, not mad at it as you never know what can happen in later seasons. 

Hate to say it, but it'll probably be Zadorov...

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Lindholm simply completes our fwd group; he is not a rental IMO unless he asks for ridiculous term OR $. With the teams chemistry, quality of team, and the fact that RT is a players coach, I could see him being very happy here. 

As you mentioned, our one hole is that big ver winger to play on 3rd/4th line. Maroon or Perry type. A move like that is not all that tough nor expensive; this was the biggy.

The trade defines rental. It is a textbook rental. The Canucks could sign him (and I think they might) but it is a rental where it sits. Just like how TT was a rental.

Expiring contract

Traded mid season

No extension in place

Traded for prospects and a cap dump

Traded by a non playoff team to a contender.

Don't get me wrong I am jacked but it currently sits as a rental.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't think the Canucks have ever had this kind of centre depth in the history of the franchise.  We pretty much have three 1Cs, a 3C that is playing like a 2C (Blueger), a floating centre in Suter, and a 4C type in Aman. 

1C

1C

1C

2C (3C)

Wowza.

No question in my mind: we are cup favourites now. Anyone criticizing this trade doesn't understand how good Lindholm is going to be for us. We now have a right-handed centre who wins a lot of draws, will be our best pker, can put up points with skilled players... holy moly I'm still fired up from yesterday!

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

1C

1C

1C

2C (3C)

Wowza.

I like the versatility too.

EP straight skill

Miller powerful

EL is solid

33 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I was reading this morning that the Canucks were trying to sign Hunter Brzustewicz, but it sounds like he is pulling an Adam Fox. So they decided to ship him out. 

Would be kind of ironic if true, considering Calgary traded Adam Fox for Elias Lindholm 😂.

How would that work?  Brzustewicz is in junior, not college where there is a route to free agency.

I’m seeing this trade as 2 trades in 1.

The First part, To take on Lindholms salary, we had to trade some salary. Kuz and his $5.5 (or whatever the exact amount) required a first to move (iirc Marleau and his 6 million (?) cost the Leafs a first, and Dickinson (2.6 I think) cost the Canucks a 2nd). Technically, I think this part could have been with any team, to open up cap space.

The second part, Lindholm for Bruz, JJ, and a conditional fourth. This part blows my mind. Incredible job by management. 

Go Canucks!