[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

If we dont re-sign any of the other UFAs eh?

There's room, but there will be changes. I don't think Kuzmenko will be with the team by next season, and I think that's probably a good idea. I think we need someone who plays a different style taking up that cap hit.

3 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I disagree with you whole heartedly.

Bo is older, and was a pending free agent. Bo is better offensively, and Ek is far superior defensively. Joel signed until 2029 at a steal of a contract at 5.25 increases his value 10 fold. Horvat contract is the same cost as Ek AND Soucy. One of these options is clear far superior then the other. 

The fact that you would take Bo over Ek tells me you are vastly underrating Ek and aren't at all aware of the value he brings on the ice, not the massive advantage a team has having quality players on sweetheart deals.

I appreciate that but first off.  How good can Ek be. Fyi I watch a lot of hockey and know he's good.  Let's forget his stat lines for a second which are no where near Bo Horvats.  I'm not saying he's not good.  Is he twice the return of a bo horvat ?  Twice the player?  Ummm no.  The fact that he's performing to his 5 mill and change is nice.  But it's not a massive over achievement.  Where is he in scoring in the league?

Love to have the guy but this isn't rick Nash in his prime as some of the proposed deals are suggesting.  Thankfully our management won't massively over pay so it's moot.  

Edited by ronning4center

1 hour ago, ronning4center said:

I appreciate that but first off.  How good can Ek be. Fyi I watch a lot of hockey and know he's good.  Let's forget his stat lines for a second which are no where near Bo Horvats.  I'm not saying he's not good.  Is he twice the return of a bo horvat ?  Twice the player?  Ummm no.  The fact that he's performing to his 5 mill and change is nice.  But it's not a massive over achievement.  Where is he in scoring in the league?

Love to have the guy but this isn't rick Nash in his prime as some of the proposed deals are suggesting.  Thankfully our management won't massively over pay so it's moot.  

How good can he be? Very good. Not sure why you say forget the stat line and then ask where he is in scoring in the league.

I don't even know how you can say he's no where near Horvat. He's only 6 points behind Horvat, while playing on a worse team. He's 2nd on his team in scoring, Horvat is 3rd. Ek is also ahead of Horvat at the same age offensively. He's far better then Horvat defensively, proven by being top 10, topping at 4th, in Selke votes the last 3 years in a row.

Could a trade for Ek cost twice as much as Horvat, yeah, it very well could. Horvat value was roughly a 1st and a 2nd. If the Wild were to consider trading Ek, which I don't think they wouldn't do, they would definitely be looking for the value of multiple first round picks. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

How good can he be? Very good. Not sure why you say forget the stat line and then ask where he is in scoring in the league.

I don't even know how you can say he's no where near Horvat. He's only 6 points behind Horvat, while playing on a worse team. He's 2nd on his team in scoring, Horvat is 3rd. Ek is also ahead of Horvat at the same age offensively. He's far better then Horvat defensively, proven by being top 10, topping at 4th, in Selke votes the last 3 years in a row.

Could a trade for Ek cost twice as much as Horvat, yeah, it very well could. Horvat value was roughly a 1st and a 2nd. If the Wild were to consider trading Ek, which I don't think they wouldn't do, they would definitely be looking for the value of multiple first round picks. 

Ek and Horvat have the same amount of goals right now...

What if we kept our forward lines and went after a guy like Michael Pazzetta. When injuries strike he can slot in and be a fight when needed. 

Pettersson Miller Boeser

Mikheyev Suter Kuzemenko 

Joshua Blueger Garland

Hoglander Aman Lafferty 

Pazzetta 

On 1/21/2024 at 11:08 PM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

2012: Game 7 OT winner in round one vs. Florida; Game 6 OT winner that sent the Devils to the Stanley Cup final.

Yup.

Yes, but a Roman Candle only explodes all at once and never again. In the 12 years since his singular blaze of glory in 2012, crickets. Four games, no points. Hardly a proven playoff performer.

5 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

What if we kept our forward lines and went after a guy like Michael Pazzetta. When injuries strike he can slot in and be a fight when needed. 

Pettersson Miller Boeser

Mikheyev Suter Kuzemenko 

Joshua Blueger Garland

Hoglander Aman Lafferty 

Pazzetta 

Isn't that a stuffed, deep fried pizza pocket that are so prevalent on the streets of Toronto? They're soooooo yummy.

4 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yes, but a Roman Candle only explodes all at once and never again. In the 12 years since his singular blaze of glory in 2012, crickets. Four games, no points. Hardly a proven playoff performer.

What I don't like about acquiring Henrique is that it means losing one of Kuzmenko or Mikheyev.  Seems like a lateral move to me.  There's no way to fit him in without taking away from the lineup due to cap.

• Like 1

I'd love a versatile relatively young center who could play 2C or 3C, or even wing if we split the Lotto line. Monahan is relatively cheap cap-wise and would be a nice fit, Lindholm would be ideal but we'd have to give up 4M in cap space to acquire him which means losing Garland, Mikheyev or Kuzmenko for what could easily just be a rental. Garland and Mikheyev are primed for big playoffs, they're playoff-type guys, whereas Kuzmenko is the most likeable guy in the locker-room so you'd hate to trade him and mess with our great chemistry. We could flip Myers but he has been a solid 30-40 point, big +/-, 20 minute guy for us.

I wonder if there's a big deal around Lindholm + Tanev for a winger (Garland, Mikheyev or Kuzmenko) + Myers...that'd throw a big spanner into the works for sure.

My main current problem is that we're at the top of the league and to acquire any decent player, we'll have to give up someone on our roster to even the cap. 

How about this:

TO CGY: Suter + 1st + decent defensive prospect (Brzuts)

TO VAN: Lindholm (50% retained)

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd love a versatile relatively young center who could play 2C or 3C, or even wing if we split the Lotto line. Monahan is relatively cheap cap-wise and would be a nice fit, Lindholm would be ideal but we'd have to give up 4M in cap space to acquire him which means losing Garland, Mikheyev or Kuzmenko for what could easily just be a rental. Garland and Mikheyev are primed for big playoffs, they're playoff-type guys, whereas Kuzmenko is the most likeable guy in the locker-room so you'd hate to trade him and mess with our great chemistry. We could flip Myers but he has been a solid 30-40 point, big +/-, 20 minute guy for us.

I wonder if there's a big deal around Lindholm + Tanev for a winger (Garland, Mikheyev or Kuzmenko) + Myers...that'd throw a big spanner into the works for sure.

My main current problem is that we're at the top of the league and to acquire any decent player, we'll have to give up someone on our roster to even the cap. 

How about this:

I get where you are going, but trading centre depth for centre depth is not ideal (though I am not implying that Suter is comparable to Lindholm). IF we were making a trade like that and needed cap space, Kuzmenko would have to be going the other way. The only exception would be if we had an injury that we could LTIR into the playoffs like LVGK. Just looking at our players w/ suitable cap, he is the weakest link. IF we could resign him at a reasonable rate (unlikely), I'd do:

Kuz + 1st ---> Lindholm (50% retained)

14 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

How about this:

I believe Calgary wants Hoglander

We need a guy that is $1M or less to add to our lineup without taking anything significant away.

Monahan from MTL @ 50% retained

Novak from NAS

Carcone from ARZ

Sprong from DET @ 50% retained

Any of these guys gives us depth and is an upgrade.

I'm trying to get this message across to people.  We are NOT upgrading Suter or Blueger, etc.  We are upgrading from Aman's 2 goals and 6 points. 

If we acquire a centre, then great.  Move Suter down to 4C and the new guy will be 2C (Monahan or Novak).

If we acquire a winger, then great.  I'd move Mikheyev down to the 4th line and use that line as a serious shut down / grind line.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

We need a guy that is $1M or less to add to our lineup without taking anything significant away.

Monahan from MTL @ 50% retained

Novak from NAS

Carcone from ARZ

Sprong from DET @ 50% retained

Any of these guys gives us depth and is an upgrade.

I'm trying to get this message across to people.  We are NOT upgrading Suter or Blueger, etc.  We are upgrading from Aman's 2 goals and 6 points. 

If we acquire a centre, then great.  Move Suter down to 4C and the new guy will be 2C (Monahan or Novak).

If we acquire a winger, then great.  I'd move Mikheyev down to the 4th line and use that line as a serious shut down / grind line.

A little above your (arbitrary) cap limit but Bjugstad is a decent, RH'd C with size who's under contract this and next year at $2.1. He's an excellent target IMO.

Even with theoretically adding him, I'd still consider a winger upgrade on Kuz personally. Gives you the option to either split or maintain the lotto line.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A little above your (arbitrary) cap limit but Bjugstad is a decent, RH'd C with size who's under contract this and next year at $2.1. He's an excellent target IMO.

Even with theoretically adding him, I'd still consider a winger upgrade on Kuz personally. Gives you the option to either split or maintain the lotto line.

My arbitrary cap limit has to do with how we currently have $332,500 in cap space + Linus Karlsson of 883,750 being able to be shuffled back to Abby = $1,216,250.  So I'm just using $1M as the basis.

Bjugstad would be great at 50% retained, but I don't know if ARZ would go for it.  He's basically playing 1C in Schmaltz's absence. 

Kuz feels like he's about to break out.  Looking confident again, and clearly has gained the confidence of Tocchet (to send him out with under 1min to go in the game yesterday).

2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

I believe Calgary wants Hoglander

I would move Hogz in an EK trade or Crouse but not for a rental or older player 

2 months ago I would have but looks like things are clicking for him now and he’s put it all together 

at the least he is the cheap garland replacement we need next year and at best a cheap top 6 impact player 

Kuzy 1 st Raty for Lindholm is pretty good

they could always flip Kuzy for more 

to VAN

Tanev

Lindholm

reyention to make it work 

to CGY

kuzy 

Karlsson

2024 1st

Raty/Klimovich