[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Mik likes to play the right side, but I wonder if he'd be better on the left since he's left-handed. Could easy be:

Petey - Lindholm - Mikheyev

It's just minutiae at this point.   Might depend on some match ups and practices.    Pretty sure you've nailed it. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He's waded a bit into reclamation project territory, maybe by a hair? 

Certainly not a bad bet for Cowtown if he helps wake up hubie.

Could be, gonna be interesting to see how things play out over there. Looks like more of a retool, but it could sink into a rebuild if they can't get youth to step up and help out.

Sharangovich is helping in that regard. 

Huberdeau and Kadri with long term, Backlund and Coleman for another 2-3 seasons. At least Weegar's looked really good, but he has lengthy term too.

Andersson is the only D they have signed beyond this season. 

Markstrom, Tanev, and Hanifin may still all be moved. Could be a lot of turnover. 

So I'm a little nervous at what we gave up for Lindholm, but I think that's partially because I'm not used to our 1st round pick being so low. I also liked Brzritueytirz (keyboard randomness intended) lol

I also need to stand by a phrase I've said numerous times throughout the years: "You have to give to get"

The interesting thing will be next season and what happens in terms of who stays and who doesn't. That being said, Myers' contract alone could be enough to keep both Lindholm and Hronek and Cole's contract could help keep Pettersson. A little lighter on defense as a result but the core stays.

Edited by The Lock

11 minutes ago, awalk said:

I'd keep both unless the offer for Myers is ridiculous. We are clearly going for it, need all the D depth 

Depends on what other plans we have. Move Myers and you gain assets and cap space. Use some of those assets and cap to acquire Tanev and you clear $1.5m, upgrade the D, and when you add that to the ~$2m we already have... Now you have ~$3.5m to add another player (a gritty winger, Bjugstad etc).

Tanev + Bjugstad/gritty winger >>> Myers

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

But we are playing them on the wing. 

Right now Aman is still slotted in at 4C and he is the weakest spot in the lineup. I guess we could get a vet winger and slide Lafferty over. 

Marroon. 

After looking at this a bit more it's a good move in a few ways:

1. It gets a win now player that improves us in an area we can use over Kuzmenko.

2. We're selling high on Brzustewicz, who is not likely to keep this level of play as he progresses.

3. Apart from the late first, the other pieces are very secondary and we won't miss them.

And then the bad:

1. Lindholm is a pending UFA. He'll be due for a raise, which luckily is offset a little by moving Kuzmenko's cap hit, but hopefully it isn't too much and we can worry about that in the summer.

2. I worry about chemistry/how many options we actually have to slot him into the lineup. He's a great player but I don't think he fixes our second line. It likely means he plays with Pettersson, while Miller and Boeser stick with their own line. Who fits on those other two top six wings?

3. It's tough to lose a player like Kuzmenko in the locker room. He was well liked and had positive energy.

In the end, it helps us now and is a win if we re-sign Lindholm at a reasonable deal. If we don't, then it depends on what we end up doing in the playoffs for if it was worth it.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Depends on what other plans we have. Move Myers and you gain assets and cap space. Use some of those assets and cap to acquire Tanev and you clear $1.5m, upgrade the D, and when you add that to the ~$2m we already have... Now you have ~$3.5m to add another player (a gritty winger, Bjugstad etc).

If it's Marroon,  I will shut-up about it, and take a week off the CFF.   

• Haha 1

It'll look less good in retrospect if we go out in the first or second round, but if there's a season to bet on I guess this one is as good as any.

Hoping there's an extension in place, one of the Elias's can shift over. Lindholm looked much better playing with top talent in Tkachuk and Gaudrea, maybe he can get closer to that level again. That Pettersson line needed a better running mate and Lindholm's defensive game should gel well with Pettersson's. 

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Elias Pettersson, Elias Lindholm and Gabriel Landeskog playing on the same line for Sweden...

Sadly this reminds me of how LE was hailed as a great pick-up for the Sedins line because they had a good fit in a world event.  Hoping / expecting Lindholm to be different of course, but that did serve as an example of how sometimes decent moves can be a disaster.  Would be good to see Lindholm at work here for a month or two before an extension is offered.  Just hoping it's not $6M x 6.  That's unlucky.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

So I'm a little nervous at what we gave up for Lindholm, but I think that's partially because I'm not used to our 1st round pick being so low. lol

I also need to stand by a phrase I've said numerous times throughout the year: "You have to give to get"

The interesting thing will be next season and what happens in terms of who stays and who doesn't. That being said, Myers' contract alone could be enough to keep both Lindholm and Hronek and Cole's contract could help keep Pettersson. A little lighter on defense as a result but the core stays.

this also cleared up cap space for next year too... if a a non roster player is making 5.5m and we clear that up a season early its a huge benefit...

6 million in cap is worth a 1st round pick... now obviously kuzmenko wasn't dead weight in the water but the point stands... we cleared cap for cheap and made it easier to sign EP 40 Joshua And Hronek

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Lets just hope he doesn't require Horvat numbers on an extension...

No doubt.    In Horvats defense, he's playing their top C position.   And actually doing ok his first year.    

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

Even in the salads days of the early Oilers, I don't think they had 6 players and a coach at the All Star game, LOL

I stand corrected, apparently there were 9 Oilers in the 1986 ASG according to Wikipedia and an earlier poster.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, awalk said:

Sure but they've been talking about it on D&D enough for it to be a "rumor" at this point 

Not really. That's how hockey media works. One guy pulls something out of his ass, the rest start talking about and quoting each other as sources, and it appears to  lend "credibility" to it. But it really doesn't.

It's up to the readers/listeners to cut through that crap though.

The only way we move Zadorov is if an upgrade falls in our lap. Would we consider it for the likes of Chychrun for example?.... Maybe. But nothing like that is being reported. And until it is... It's vapour.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Marroon. 

He doesn't fit the way the team plays. He's too slow, the Canucks identity is fast, hard on pucks and putting teams under pressure. Maroon is too slow to get in on the forecheck and keep up with Lafferty and Hogs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

we may lose a couple goals over 30 games switching tanev for myers, but we will make that up in the winger for sure...

if we have some trades in place i say we go for it... 

2 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

this also cleared up cap space for next year too... if a a non roster player is making 5.5m and we clear that up a season early its a huge benefit...

6 million in cap is worth a 1st round pick... now obviously kuzmenko wasn't dead weight in the water but the point stands... we cleared cap for cheap and made it easier to sign EP 40 Joshua And Hronek

We could keep Lindholm too, that means Allvin will have to trade one of Mikheyev or Garland in the off season.   Allvin also can pivot depending on how things play out.  Our cup "window" with this group, for sure is QHs current deal/Demko's.   That has to be their focus now. 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, Rocket-68 said:

I stand corrected, apparently there were 9 Oilers in the 1986 ASG according to Wikipedia and an earlier poster.

According to David Amber this is the record so I’m not so sure about that.

1 minute ago, MidKnight Ego said:

And if Lindholm looks good with us and doesn't go the Eriksson route, there's the possibility of even resigning him if enough money's left over from whatever other trades we end up doing (which could be a lot of trades given this season lol).

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

To be honest, who cares about 4-6 years into the future....

We are in the moment..... the moment we've been waiting over a decade for...

I don't know. This is a dangerous way of thinking because we used the same excuse when Gillis was drafting dud in every single draft.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

it’s the cap hit any team would be taking on though. We just took on Lindholm at 4.85 for his all around price point to value, but we aren’t going to see that justified with Myers.

May still be paying out to move a player who might actually be very valuable to us in the playoffs. 
Myers has been with this group a long time and is a character guy in the room. I worry it might have an impact bringing in too many ringers in a shortened time. But with Trader Jim’s trigger finger even Fin isn’t safe.