[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

Just now, IBatch said:

No doubt.    In Horvats defense, he's playing their top C position.   And actually doing ok his first year.    

He's a couple of years older, I believe, so should be able to negotiate...

Nevermind... If he walks, he walks... can't always hang around waiting for the son to shine from a perfect angle...

• Upvote 1

For those of you that are interested, I've provided a new forecast that includes re-signing Lindholm to a $7M AAV deal.  The cost would be trading away Mikheyev, which I think most of us would be more than willing to do.

Spoiler Alert:  We can even keep Garland, Blueger, and Joshua together for a few more years!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Lets just hope he doesn't require Horvat numbers on an extension...

He's not in the middle of a career year in goals like Horvat was when we traded him. If we had to re-sign him two years ago, he would have been due for the money Horvat got. Now, it'll be much more reasonable a raise.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

He's a couple of years older, I believe, so should be able to negotiate...

Nevermind... If he walks, he walks... can't always hang around waiting for the son to shine from a perfect angle...

That's ok too.    Have to see how he gels

first anyways.    Think he should.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He was the cap part, the Beau of the trade, nothing more, nothing less. 

Seemed like a lot at first but after some thought I see it as a first and Brzustewicz for Lindholm, and Jurmo and a 4th for Calgary to take Kuzy and his cap. The last time we grumbled about trading  a Hunter to the Flames turned out to be a big nothingburger.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

We could keep Lindholm too, that means Allvin will have to trade one of Mikheyev or Garland in the off season. 

Just spitballin' here, and I'm probably missing something, but next year's lineup and cap could be:

Petey 12 - Lindholm 7.5 - Mikheyev 4.75
Hoglander 1.1 - Miller 8 - Boeser 6.65
Joshua 2.75 - Suter 1.6 - Garland 4.95
Podz .925/ PDG .775 - Aman .825 - Lafferty 1.25

Hughes 7.85 - Hronek 7
Soucy 3.25 - Myers 4
Cole 2 - Juulsen .775

Demko 5
DeSmith 2

OEL 2.35

Total – 87.3 (400K cap space)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, MidKnight Ego said:

we may lose a couple goals over 30 games switching tanev for myers, but we will make that up in the winger for sure...

if we have some trades in place i say we go for it... 

We also probably cancel our at least as many GA as we lose GF. And I'm not sure we lose that many GF. Tanev may not show up a lot in counting stats, but here's still near elite at getting the puck back and moving it up the ice. They don't give out 3rd and 4th assists though.

34 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Either Pettersson or Lindholm will be that winger. There's no hole. An upgrade to add another gritty winger would be nice though.

It's not a rumor, it's Elliott "wondering" 🙄

Put Soucy on LTIR and get Guentzel

Then once playoffs start Soucy is all healed up.

The Tampa Bay model 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

According to David Amber this is the record so I’m not so sure about that.

This is Wikipedia --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38th_National_Hockey_League_All-Star_Game and Hockey Refernce --> https://www.hockey-reference.com/allstar/NHL_1986_roster.html and NHL.com --> https://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=28952

Starting lineup included - Coffey, Jurri, Anderson, Gretzky and Fuhr

Reserves included - Fogolin, Lowe, Messier and Moog

If Wikipedia, NHL.com and Hockey Reference all have it wrong, be nice to know how to explain why.

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So I'm a little nervous at what we gave up for Lindholm, but I think that's partially because I'm not used to our 1st round pick being so low. I also liked Brzritueytirz (keyboard randomness intended) lol

I also need to stand by a phrase I've said numerous times throughout the years: "You have to give to get"

The interesting thing will be next season and what happens in terms of who stays and who doesn't. That being said, Myers' contract alone could be enough to keep both Lindholm and Hronek and Cole's contract could help keep Pettersson. A little lighter on defense as a result but the core stays.

You need three really good D men and can fill out the rest with trades and short term signings IMO.

They have Hughes and Hronek and can hopefully add Willander to that group in a couple years.

Thats the foundation, this management has shown they can find solid vets like Cole, Soucy, and Zadorov to fill in the rest.

Just now, PureQuickness said:

I don't know. This is a dangerous way of thinking because we used the same excuse when Gillis was drafting dud in every single draft.

I know, but I remember JR saying in an interview, that we had many prospects, probably too many prospects....

These are small potatoes going out, as we actually have something in the cupboard towards the future... 

Need to strike while the iron is hot... Probably one of the reasons JR have had 3 cup winners over the years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, elvis15 said:

He's not in the middle of a career year in goals like Horvat was when we traded him. If we had to re-sign him two years ago, he would have been due for the money Horvat got. Now, it'll be much more reasonable a raise.

And I think this could be true even if he plays better with us. Calgary shows that he needs a good team and we have that good team to help him out. Could be a "you scratch our back we'll scratch yours" kind of scenario.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rocket-68 said:

This is Wikipedia --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38th_National_Hockey_League_All-Star_Game and Hockey Refernce --> https://www.hockey-reference.com/allstar/NHL_1986_roster.html and NHL.com --> https://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=28952

Starting lineup included - Coffey, Jurri, Anderson, Gretzky and Fuhr

Reserves included - Fogolin, Lowe, Messier and Moog

If Wikipedia, NHL.com and Hockey Reference all have it wrong, be nice to know how to explain why.

Reserves don’t count?

That would leave them with 5.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah that's very true....

He is also a bit older than Horvat was.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

You need three really good D men and can fill out the rest with trades and short term signings IMO.

They have Hughes and Hronek and can hopefully add Willander to that group in a couple years.

Thats the foundation, this management has shown they can find solid vets like Cole, Soucy, and Zadorov to fill in the rest.

Yeah that's kind of my point really. I look a team like Pittsburgh where you have the big contracts like Crosby and Malkin along with a couple of other big signings to compliment, and then the rest of the team you're giving chances to players with less contracts.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm impressed that we didn't give up blue chip guys in Lekkerimaki and Willander. Keeping Podz and Hoglander is good too. 

I don't like giving up high picks but there was no getting around it in this case. 

No way to avoid it imho if it meant Kuz being in on the deal (barring giving up one of our top prospects).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Just spitballin' here, and I'm probably missing something, but next year's lineup and cap could be:

Petey 12 - Lindholm 7.5 - Mikheyev 4.75
Hoglander 1.1 - Miller 8 - Boeser 6.65
Joshua 2.75 - Suter 1.6 - Garland 4.95
Podz .925/ PDG .775 - Aman .825 - Lafferty 1.25

Hughes 7.85 - Hronek 7
Soucy 3.25 - Myers 4
Cole 2 - Juulsen .775

Demko 5
DeSmith 2

OEL 2.35

Total – 87.3 (400K cap space)

Zadorov.   Yes it could look like this.  Also think Juulsen sticks and we lose a D (Zadorov or Cole or Myers). 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Just now, spook007 said:

I know, but I remember JR saying in an interview, that we had many prospects, probably too many prospects....

These are small potatoes going out, as we actually have something in the cupboard towards the future... 

Need to strike while the iron is hot... Probably one of the reasons JR have had 3 cup winners over the years.

This wouldn't have happened without Benning then. And Gillis wouldn't have had the success without Burke/Nonis regimes with their horses in the barn.

It's pretty clear that we are seeing the best parts of Gillis on display here with Allvin. Hopefully we don't see the bad sides of Gillis. The drafting, however, is apparently so much better than the two regimes (so far). Hunter is already one of the best picks the Canucks had - a third rounder - and Gillis couldn't draft a damn one of these players in FIVE YEARS on the job.

• Cheers 1

Team will be even harder to beat, after getting a lead.

Run the lotto line and Lindholm as #2 center, until we get a decent lead, then put E.P. back at center ice.

He and Lindholm are very, very good defensively-would eat up a lot of ice time.

E.P.   Miller Brock

Hogs   Lindholm       Mik

Then 

Miller

E.P

Lindholm

down the middle, with the lead.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Yea minni is not going to do much this year... So what's a reasonable ask?

I have a hard time seeing it taking more than a mid to low pick to be honest.

• Like 1

Agree with others.....my knee-jerk reaction was that we gave up way too much and had it was really because of losing Hunter.  While there's no guarantee that an OHL star will make the NHL, if you have enough of these guys you eventually land one or two happy surprises and we need these guys on the cheap.  Human psychology tells me not to worry about the first round pick because we don't know who that would have been 🙂

if Lindholm plays to the level of an effective 2nd line center who can more-or-less shutdown the top lines and chip in a few good plays, then this is a huge trade win for the cup run.  Even better if the money saved allows us to sign another player who can help us in the playoffs.  If Lindholm signs an affordable extension which helps keep the core together, this is a huge trade win overall.

I don't agree with people who say Kuz was a free asset, so don't worry about it.....he was still an asset with value.  With that said, if Lindholm's play or cost next year doesn't pan out, PA just freed up $5.5M next year and that will be huge for keeping EP and others.  Kuz's contract was a problem and Calgary just resolved that issue.  I really loved Kuz and hoped that he would develop but it's a big risk to hang onto him when his salary could block us from keeping other star players who play on both ends of the ice.  With Kuz and Myers' contract coming off the books and the cap going up, PA has a lot more options.

• Cheers 2