[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

1 minute ago, PureQuickness said:

This wouldn't have happened without Benning then. And Gillis wouldn't have had the success without Burke/Nonis regimes with their horses in the barn.

It's pretty clear that we are seeing the best parts of Gillis on display here with Allvin. Hopefully we don't see the bad sides of Gillis. The drafting, however, is apparently so much better than the two regimes (so far). Hunter is already one of the best picks the Canucks had - a third rounder - and Gillis couldn't draft a damn one of these players in FIVE YEARS on the job.

spot on...

It was always the case under Gillis... He had a lot of players coming through that had been drafted by the previous regime... Just like JR/PA has now...

The trick is obviously to find a way to keep the influx of players coming. At least until you ave ridden your stars almost into the sunset, and then start all over... while they still have a bit of value... 

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Lets just hope he doesn't require Horvat numbers on an extension...

What he's doing now matters...

Remember... Horvat had 31 goals and 54 points in 49 games (pace for 52 goals and 90 points!!) at the time he was traded and re-signed. 

Lindholm has 9 goals and 32 points in 49 games ((pace for 15 goals and 54 points).  If he goes on a bit of a tear, he might climb up to 20 to 25 goals and 65 to 70 points.  That puts him in the $6.5 to $7.5M range at the most IMO.  No way could he ask for $8.5M to $9M.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yea minni is not going to do much this year... So what's a reasonable ask?

A depth prospect and a later pick maybe including a 2025 pick.    We've definitely got the pieces to give.   Before this trade would say a 4th rounder.     Using Schenn from last year.    We kind of expected a 2nd and got a 3rd.    A 4th seems reasonable.   Depends on how other teams feel too.     Anderson from MTL and well, we've completely loaded up.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And I think this could be true even if he plays better with us. Calgary shows that he needs a good team and we have that good team to help him out. Could be a "you scratch our back we'll scratch yours" kind of scenario.

Yes, definitely easier going the other way, where we can point to his regression before we brought him in.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Remember... Horvat had 31 goals and 54 points in 49 games (pace for 52 goals and 90 points!!) at the time he was traded and re-signed. 

Lindholm has 9 goals and 32 points in 49 games ((pace for 15 goals and 54 points).  If he goes on a bit of a tear, he might climb up to 20 to 25 goals and 65 to 70 points.  That puts him in the $6.5 to $7.5M range at the most IMO.  No way could he ask for $8.5M to $9M.

Best part is, we can get a better idea before we need to commit.    No more LE's. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Cheers, 

Well he can ask, but he won't get... also think it's doubtful, he does ask for that. 

Zero doubt Vancouver will be an interesting destination for a lot of players atm... especially aging one, who fancies playing winning hockey or maybe even going for the cup. 

Signing players on a winning team has always been easier (and cheaper) than on a losing team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Who wants to see an all Swedish line?  🙋‍♂️

Hoglander     Pettersson    Lindholm

Mikheyev       Miller             Boeser

Joshua         Blueger          Garland

Aman            Suter             Lafferty

C'mon Tocchet, we know you want this.  Just do it...   

I look at this and can't help but thinking that they'll pick up one more top 6.  Mikheyev just doesn't fit the top 6 IMO.  I can see Hoglander with Miller and Boeser but your top line here is worth trying.  With the current roster though, I'm expecting

Lotto line

Hogs - Lindholm - Mikheyev

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

PDG / Aman - Suter - Lafferty

One big reason for this - if they want to keep EP after this season, they'll need to stop messing around with his line and give him some productive consistency.  Also, it's more seamless when they're in and out of the PP if they stick together.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Odd. said:

Monahan will cost a 1st if there’s a bidding war which there will most certainly be now that we have Lindholm.

He has more points than Lindholm (Lindholm still is the better player) as well as having a lower cap. Monahan will be very attractive. 

Monahan probably ends up being a Ranger or an Av 

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Just spitballin' here, and I'm probably missing something, but next year's lineup and cap could be:

Petey 12 - Lindholm 7.5 - Mikheyev 4.75
Hoglander 1.1 - Miller 8 - Boeser 6.65
Joshua 2.75 - Suter 1.6 - Garland 4.95
Podz .925/ PDG .775 - Aman .825 - Lafferty 1.25

Hughes 7.85 - Hronek 7
Soucy 3.25 - Myers 4
Cole 2 - Juulsen .775

Demko 5
DeSmith 2

OEL 2.35

Total – 87.3 (400K cap space)

Well, I never get what  think is right, (probably why we don't have a cup )😋 but for the next year at least, I don't see Miller on the second line, with Mikhyeyev

on a first. What does this have to do with the cap?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

We basically just added a Horvat back.   Look at it that way.   

Well, a right handed Horvat.  

I prefer to think of him as this group's Swedish Kessler.  Very defensively responsible centre (better than Bo in that way) that can provide some offence.  

I'm okay with selling high on Hunter Brzustewicz. There has been plenty of times where guys have put massive points up in juniour and never amounted to anything. 

I also like the fit of the player we got. It's not all about points and I think Lindholm was one of the best all around players we could of got. He'll balance our top 6, a right shot center who is very strong on faceoffs, excellent on the pk. We can use him in a match up role in the playoffs. Kuzmenko did none of all that. It's going to get brutally tough in the playoffs going head to head against guys like Mackinnon,  Eichel, Mcd/Drai. We need all the help we can aquire. Another defenceman would be nice in case of injuries. Maybe Tanev. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Well, I never get what  think is right, (probably why we don't have a cup )😋 but for the next year at least, I don't see Miller on the second line, with Mikhyeyev

It shows that we could potentially still be under the cap while keeping most of the team depending on contracts.

Also, Miller on the 2nd line is pedantic and probably not the poster your replying to's point.

Edited by The Lock
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I look at this and can't help but thinking that they'll pick up one more top 6.  Mikheyev just doesn't fit the top 6 IMO.  I can see Hoglander with Miller and Boeser but your top line here is worth trying.  With the current roster though, I'm expecting

Lotto line

Hogs - Lindholm - Mikheyev

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

PDG / Aman - Suter - Lafferty

One big reason for this - if they want to keep EP after this season, they'll need to stop messing around with his line and give him some productive consistency.  Also, it's more seamless when they're in and out of the PP if they stick together.

Will be interesting to see if they swing EP to wing or JTM.

We need a PF on both top 6 lines ideally on wing and so moving JTM to wing and having Mik gives you the two PFs in the top 6 that Tocch's system really needs.

EP's power game has been improving but he will never be a PF.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, RWJC said:

it’s the cap hit any team would be taking on though. We just took on Lindholm at 4.85 for his all around price point to value, but we aren’t going to see that justified with Myers.

I don't think that's the case. Big, still pretty mobile RHD that 's on a 30 point pace, can PK etc... As you say below, valuable in the playoffs, teams will pay for that. The return may not be overwhelming given the contract and/or may need some 3rd party retention, but teams WILL be after him.

IIRC Tampa's in the RHD market and has like $8m of LTIR currently...

34 minutes ago, RWJC said:

May still be paying out to move a player who might actually be very valuable to us in the playoffs. 
Myers has been with this group a long time and is a character guy in the room. I worry it might have an impact bringing in too many ringers in a shortened time. But with Trader Jim’s trigger finger even Fin isn’t safe. 

He would/could certainly be useful to us. If he stays, I'm not going to lose sleep. As I said, it depends on what other move PA can line up. IF he can snag Tanev and Bjugstad as per my example, we come out ahead IMO.

As for any hole in the locker room, normally I'd agree if it was any player other than Tanev. He's already familiar with basically the entire core, reportedly still very close with the team captain and was called "Dad" when he was here. Any hole moving Myers creates, gets quickly filled back up by bringing in Tanev IMO. Never mind what any F we also bring in, adds to the room.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

Not nervous whatsoever. I had complete faith and confidence in the Hronek trade despite the alarmist "concern" hysteria. Look how that turned out.

None of this comes for free. There's a price to pay in order to be a contender. This is a bold move. We didn't give up any blue chip prospects and Kuz was found money/free asset to begin with.

We're good in the here and now and need moves like this now to be even better instead of waiting 3-4 years from now.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

hoping they can acquire an aging, but still effective vet with lots, and lots, of play off experience.

looks like this team is a one run, then massive change model; and if so, they will need a lot of experience to help them through the increased pressure and level of play in the post season.

Tanev sticks out as a target, as he still plays 20 minutes a game and is a Stanley Cup finalist.

But I'm sure there are others like him, be they forward, or d, which I would prefer.

Edited by Gurn

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

spot on...

It was always the case under Gillis... He had a lot of players coming through that had been drafted by the previous regime... Just like JR/PA has now...

The trick is obviously to find a way to keep the influx of players coming. At least until you ave ridden your stars almost into the sunset, and then start all over... while they still have a bit of value... 

Miller Pettersson Boeser (all JB)

Mikheyev Lindholm Suter (all PA)

Joshua (PA) Blueger (PA) Garland (JB)

Hoglander (JB) Aman (PA) Lafferty (PA)

Hughes (JB) Hronek (PA)

Cole Soucy (both PA)

Zadorov (PA) Myers (JB)

Demko (JB)

DeSmith (PA)

Coaching staff except for Ian Clark is all PA/JR

Top prospects off the top of my head is all PA except for Podz I think.

In a short time they have changed this team over big time. Their finger prints are all over this team. If we win the cup it's 100% on current management. Benning couldn't build around the core that he drafted and you're supposed to accumulate good players when you finish at the bottom of the league year after year.

Edited by Breadnbutta
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

What I posted included all the signings we need to get done, and what I think their projected aav's will be, and it fits within the 87.7 million cap next year.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, are we able to re-sign Lindholm in the summer?  The answer is YES!!!

Hoglander (1.1)      Pettersson (11.8)     Lindholm (7)

Mikheyev (4.75)    Miller (8)                  Boeser (6.65)

Joshua (3)             Suter (1.6)               Podkolzin (.95)

Bains (.816)           Aman (.825)            Lafferty (1.5)

UFA (.8)

Hughes (7.85)     Hronek (7)

Zadorov (4)         Myers (3)

Soucy (3)            Tanev (3)

Cole (1.5)            Juulsen (.775)

Demko (5)     DeSmith (1.5)

OEL (2.346)

Total: 87.7

We say goodbye to Blueger and Garland (via trade), and say hello to Podkolzin, Bains and Tanev!!!

We are still a cup contender, with Lekkerimaki, Willander and D-Petey on the way!!!

I don't like Garland's price tag, but I think you underestimate how much he drives the play and how much he gets us on the powerplay.  His offensive numbers haven't been as good as I'd hoped for, but he keeps the puck out of our own net.  His +/- isn't much different than EP's.  Podz has to come up eventually but I'm not sure that he replaces Garland right now.  I'm also not sure you find much better for his money than Blueger.  Joshua deserves a good raise.  Hoping this third line can stay together next year personally.

Also, you have DeSmith taking a pay cut from $1.8M/yr.  That isn't happening.  He's played really well as a back-up this year.  I see him getting a small pay bump.  Zadorov may not deserve it, but he'll get more money as well as a UFA.  Cole taking a $1.5M/yr pay cut won't happen either.

PA has some work cut out for himself.  He deserved all votes of confidence at this point but he'll also need some help from the players.  Lindholm at $6M/yr and EP at $10M/yr, or trading Mikheyev (not unreasonable) would go a long way to keeping this group largely intact.  This is why it's so difficult to create a cup contender with a $12M/yr player on your roster.