[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

55 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not really. That's how hockey media works. One guy pulls something out of his ass, the rest start talking about and quitting eachother as sources, and it appears to  lend "credibility" to it. But it really doesn't.

It's up to the readers/listeners to cut through that crap though.

The only way we move Zadorov is if an upgrade falls in our lap. Would we consider it for the likes of Chychrun for example?.... Maybe. But nothing like that is being reported. And until it is... It's vapour.

You're really splitting hairs there 😆

I'm not coming off of a D&D podcast going OMG THEYRE TRADING ZADOROV, I'm going why tf are they trying to start a rumor that there's an issue with Zadorov and Canucks are trying to trade him. 

Call it a rumor or a thought from the pundits, it's the same thing: weird. No reason to move him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, chris12345 said:

The trade defines rental. It is a textbook rental. The Canucks could sign him (and I think they might) but it is a rental where it sits. Just like how TT was a rental.

Expiring contract

Traded mid season

No extension in place

Traded for prospects and a cap dump

Traded by a non playoff team to a contender.

Don't get me wrong I am jacked but it currently sits as a rental.

Toffoli was actually to be a longer term asset for JB; he just got caught with an unexpected cap reduction that summer. 

Limdholm was definitely brought in for this years PO run, but much like Zadorov, I think PA has all intention or trying to keep him here.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'm impressed that we didn't give up blue chip guys in Lekkerimaki and Willander. Keeping Podz and Hoglander is good too. 

I don't like giving up high picks but there was no getting around it in this case. 

32nd OA is not really that high. Picks that late generally have a 5 or so percent chance of making the NHL. 

3 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

he's big... fairly mobile hits and scores goals for cheap... bang for buck he is a really good buy, oh and he can take a faceoff too...

He hits more and is better at FOs, you're right.  Why I was wondering was because he's no bigger than Mikheyev and his points are not much different than Mikheyev.  They definitely need a guy who can be more aggressive in getting the puck from the wall and off the forecheck.  That's why I'd like to see a guy with more size and speed but perhaps Sissons plays exactly this way.

5 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

TBH, I can't see Canucks management giving up anymore high draft picks and high-level prospects this TDL. There's Tanev but he's not going to cost an arm and leg as a rental. They already got the guy they need in Lindholm.

I can't see it either.  It'd be really greedy, and wouldn't guarantee anything.  As well, it could disrupt the team chemistry.

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

He hits more and is better at FOs, you're right.  Why I was wondering was because he's no bigger than Mikheyev and his points are not much different than Mikheyev.  They definitely need a guy who can be more aggressive in getting the puck from the wall and off the forecheck.  That's why I'd like to see a guy with more size and speed but perhaps Sissons plays exactly this way.

so lets say we traded... garland instead... and taht makes way more sense...

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Moving Garland would be terrible.  We have arguably the best 3rd line in the league because of how Garland drives that line.  Garland is all over the top of the leaderboard in all the advanced key metrics on the Canucks.  Don't believe me, have a look yourself:

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=y&team=VAN&pos=S&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

1st in CF%

1st in FF%

1st in SF%

3rd in GF%

1st in xGF%

1st in SCF%

1st in HDCF%

1st in HDGF%

He literally dominates the advanced stats for pretty much every metric.  It'd be absolute idiotic to move Garland ahead of Mikheyev.  That'd be one of the stupidest moves Allvin could make.

I believe it. He's a good player, has been since people complained about getting him and OEL in the infamous trade.

But again, he's a $4.95m luxury we can't afford on the 3rd line next year if we hope to maintain/improve our top 6 / top 4. Hoglander can do and/or develop in to a lot of what Garland does, for 1/4 of the cap. Will the 3rd line be as good as this year? Probably not, particularly given they're all basically having career years and are due for some level of regression, Garland or not. But it will likely still be close enough AND allow for a better top 6 / top 4...which is better for the overall team.

Good player. Can't afford to keep him on the 3rd line. And he's an ill fit in our top 6.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Moving Garland would be terrible.  We have arguably the best 3rd line in the league because of how Garland drives that line.  Garland is all over the top of the leaderboard in all the advanced key metrics on the Canucks.  Don't believe me, have a look yourself:

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=y&team=VAN&pos=S&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

1st in CF%

1st in FF%

1st in SF%

3rd in GF%

1st in xGF%

1st in SCF%

1st in HDCF%

1st in HDGF%

He literally dominates the advanced stats for pretty much every metric.  It'd be absolute idiotic to move Garland ahead of Mikheyev.  That'd be one of the stupidest moves Allvin could make.

Agreed one thing they should not do is disrupt that third line this year.

They are the consistency in the lineup.  Tocch consistently puts them out when he needs energy or a tough matchup.  They have been a nightmare for teams. 

Now that our top 6 looks like coming together I would not be looking to do anything up front unless somehow a top 6 PF becomes available and could be fit under cap (think that is impossible).

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 2

Just now, Coconuts said:

Was it a good trad? Yes.

Is there anything wrong with being excited? Absolutely not. 

Does this make a top team better? Yeah.

Is counting your chickens before the hatch silly? Yes. 

Let's not crown ourselves champions yet. 

You mentioned the pick. Not sure where you got that I said that we will now win the Cup. 

Are we in a better situation to win? Yeah we are and it’s a great trade, but only a fool would bet their house on any team to win the hardest trophy in professional sports.

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I know Lindholm has been off this year offensively but if you look at his scoring over the last few years it is essentially the same as EP's and JTM's and he was second in Selke voting last year.

This isn't going to be a $6M player.  If we could get him for JT's contract that would be a steal.

Fair enough and we'll see.....but I guess the real point is that PA can't keep this team together without players taking a pay cut.  All great teams have guys playing for less than full value.  I can't remember if it was PA or JR but in one of the last media releases this past week or so one of them mentioned this point too.

EP is the obvious guy for putting his money where his mouth is.  He stated that he wants to play for a winning team.  It's right here in front of him.  If he signs here for $12M/yr, then he's clearly a money guy.  If he moves on to another team, he either wanted to play elsewhere or get money elsewhere.  This next contract tells everyone what he's thinking IMO.  There is no wrong answer....he deserves what he gets at this point.  However, this club needs to keep the asset value high to be competitive.

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

You mentioned the pick. Not sure where you got that I said that we will now win the Cup. 

Are we in a better situation to win? Yeah we are and it’s a great trade, but only a fool would bet their house on any team to win the hardest trophy in professional sports.

8 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

32nd OA is not really that high. Picks that late generally have a 5 or so percent chance of making the NHL. 

That's how I read it. But if I misread, no worries. Some folks definitely get carried away. 

I'm generally more pragmatic when it comes to contention, as you've said, it's the toughest trophy to win. 

I'm intrigued by two Elias's together. Extend him and play them together and maybe one of them wins a Selke. 

• Cheers 1

I know this won't be a popular opinion....and I know people are excited, because on paper, we just got the 2C that we needed.....but....we gave up an awful lot for a guy who's a pending UFA.

Kuz is having a down year (as is Lindholm, BTW) but he has shown he can score 40 goals at the NHL level. Guys like that don't grow on trees. I get that he was likely never going to fit in Tocchet's scheme and likely had to be moved, but this was anything but a one for one trade.

We also gave up a D prospect (that shoots Right, BTW) who is currently tearing it up in the OHL, and we gave up a first round pick. Granted, it will likely be a late first rounder, but we got Brock Boeser at #23.....

I suppose if we go on to win a Cup, this will all be worth it, but I feel like this is one of those deals we'll look back on and regret, in the years to come.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bobby Lou said:

I dunno how we're gonna make the cap work in the offseason with new deals for EP40, Zad, Hronek, Lindholm plus guys like Joshua etc.... BB6 next yr... the OEL dead cap coming....

I will say tho this is one scary team and this trade puts us in a whole new stratosphere.  Cup or bust baby!!!

LETS FkN GO!!!

Kuzy cap space and let Myers go and trade Mik (over paid for what he does) and Cole for picks.

11 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Don't jinx us Grandmaster!  This reminds me of the allegations that the Bruins made about the Canucks practicing lifting the cup.  let's not be that city.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

I know this won't be a popular opinion....and I know people are excited, because on paper, we just got the 2C that we needed.....but....we gave up an awful lot for a guy who's a pending UFA.

Kuz is having a down year (as is Lindholm, BTW) but he has shown he can score 40 goals at the NHL level. Guys like that don't grow on trees. I get that he was likely never going to fit in Tocchet's scheme and likely had to be moved, but this was anything but a one for one trade.

We also gave up a D prospect (that shoots Right, BTW) who is currently tearing it up in the OHL, and we gave up a first round pick. Granted, it will likely be a late first rounder, but we got Brock Boeser at #23.....

I suppose if we go on to win a Cup, this will all be worth it, but I feel like this is one of those deals we'll look back on and regret, in the years to come.

No, 40 goal scorers don't grow on trees, but remember, we just got a centre that has scored 42 goals in this league (one year before Kuzmenko did it). 

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

No, 40 goal scorers don't grow on trees, but remember, we just got a centre that has scored 42 goals in this league (one year before Kuzmenko did it). 

Yep. And as I pointed out, I would have been okay with a straight up swap, but we gave up a lot more....

• Cheers 1