[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

51 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

FyxD9GjacAAlp9z?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I'm happy for Hutton. Hutton is one of the few exceptions of Gillis' poor drafting, and how many drafts did it take for him to draft one NHL serviceable player? If I recall, he's the ONLY non-first round draft pick to succeed out of Gillis - out of five years.

The amount of crap that we picked over the years by Gillis makes me so upset.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yep. And as I pointed out, I would have been okay with a straight up swap, but we gave up a lot more....

You might have been fine with it, but it doesn't mean the market's going to agree with you.

If there's competition for Lindholm's services (who, in all honesty, is the better player of the 2), a swap's highly unlikely to cut it.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, chaoticmonkey said:

Uhh elephant in the room is if we can re-sign him (to a reasonable contract). If we can re-sign him then he's worth the ransom we gave up, if we can't then this was a horrendous misuse of organizational assets.

It really wasn't though. Kuz wasn't a fit here with the system that Tocchet wants and he'll do better in Calgary because they suck and won't need him to play defensively. The 1st will be a high draft pick in a weak draft. Hunter will be a good player, but we already have him in Hughes, Hronek, and Willander. He wasn't gonna get ice time over them. He's also 3-4 years away from making an impact. Jurmo is a throw in and isn't good. The 4th is meh. Canucks are going all in. Even if we don't re-sign Lindholm we get $5.5m in cap space. It was a great trade for the Canucks

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

Miller Pettersson Boeser (all JB)

Mikheyev Lindholm Suter (all PA)

Joshua Blueger Garland (all PA)

Hoglander (JB) Aman (PA) Lafferty (PA)

Hughes (JB) Hronek (PA)

Cole Soucy (both PA)

Zadorov (PA) Myers (JB)

Demko (JB)

DeSmith (PA)

Coaching staff except for Ian Clark is all PA/JR

Top prospects off the top of my head is all PA except for Podz I think.

In a short time they have changed this team over big time. Their finger prints are all over this team. If we win the cup it's 100% on current management. Benning couldn't build around the core that he drafted and you're supposed to accumulate good players when you finish at the bottom of the league year after year.

Garland also JB (not to split hairs...)

Bennings pro scouting sucked... except for Miller there were so many misses it was unreal.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You might have been fine with it, but it doesn't mean the market's going to agree with you.

If there's competition for Lindholm's services (who, in all honesty, is the better player of the 2), a swap's highly unlikely to cut it.

Yup.  Some people live in their dream world.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Fair enough. 

I just believe it isn't that hard to re-sign Lindholm assuming he would be willing to accept $7M AAV.

I think the team would be happy with that number....I'm not sure about the player.....but let's say that happens....

We move Mik, but since it's essentially a Cap dump so we can afford to resign Lindholm, (and Petey) we can't take back salary. That likely affects the value of the return. Maybe a lower ranked prospect and/or a later pick.

That basically means we moved Mik, Kuzy, Hunter B and a first rounder  for EL and a lesser pick or prospect....plus we have to give EL a raise....possibly twice what he makes now. (or close to it)

I think we would need to win a Cup during his tenure for that to be worth it.

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I know we would have needed to add.....I just think we added too much for a pending UFA

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I don't like Garland's price tag, but I think you underestimate how much he drives the play and how much he gets us on the powerplay.  His offensive numbers haven't been as good as I'd hoped for, but he keeps the puck out of our own net.  His +/- isn't much different than EP's.  Podz has to come up eventually but I'm not sure that he replaces Garland right now.  I'm also not sure you find much better for his money than Blueger.  Joshua deserves a good raise.  Hoping this third line can stay together next year personally.

Also, you have DeSmith taking a pay cut from $1.8M/yr.  That isn't happening.  He's played really well as a back-up this year.  I see him getting a small pay bump.  Zadorov may not deserve it, but he'll get more money as well as a UFA.  Cole taking a $1.5M/yr pay cut won't happen either.

PA has some work cut out for himself.  He deserved all votes of confidence at this point but he'll also need some help from the players.  Lindholm at $6M/yr and EP at $10M/yr, or trading Mikheyev (not unreasonable) would go a long way to keeping this group largely intact.  This is why it's so difficult to create a cup contender with a $12M/yr player on your roster.

One big thing to consider with Garland is if we're not clicking along, and if we can't sign Joshua, and Blueger again, how effective will he be? Sure he could remain the key cog he has been this year, or he cold return to being a spina Rama king wasting a precious $5 mil we could be using to retain Lindholm. I still think he's a candidate to free up cap. Even though I'm ecstatic with how well he is playing right now. Perfect storm right now.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

How dead is CDC?

Not even a posting on the trade section.

Maybe it's elsewhere.

But wow....you can hear the wind and see tumbleweeds on CDC.

It's a backup forum.  If this crashes, let's go there and post.  

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I can see it, because Mikheyev is being overpaid.  What he brings to the table in terms of production and on-ice advanced stats doesn't justify his cap hit. 

Like you said, Mikheyev has been in a top 6 role all season and has 10 goals and 23 points with a +4 rating.

Garland has been in a bottom 6 role all season and has 8 goals and 24 points with a +13 rating. 

Not even going into the domination by Garland of advanced stats, and it's pretty easy to see who should be moved out. 

The argument before was that we need Mikheyev's PK ability.  I'd argue Lindholm replaces that in spades.

Lastly, I argue Garland could totally play top 6 minutes if needed.  in fact Garland's best season is 19 goals and 52 points.  More than adequate as a 2nd line winger.

No he can't (at least on this roster), or he would be.  Mik is coming off major knee surgery that requires the better part of a year to recover from, has been playing with a massively slumping Kuzmenko who has not been putting up points, against usually higher QOC, has more size, and more speed and actually fits/plays a required role in our top 6, and has similar stats despite all those roadblocks. 

Yes, it IS obvious who should be moved out. Garland.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I think the team would be happy with that number....I'm not sure about the player.....but let's say that happens....

We move Mik, but since it's essentially a Cap dump so we can afford to resign Lindholm, (and Petey) we can't take back salary. That likely affects the value of the return. Maybe a lower ranked prospect and/or a later pick.

That basically means we moved Mik, Kuzy, Hunter B and a first rounder  for EL and a lesser pick or prospect....plus we have to give EL a raise....possibly twice what he makes now. (or close to it)

I think we would need to win a Cup during his tenure for that to be worth it.

What? Lindholm is making $5.5m, there's no way he will ever get twice what he makes, or even close to it.  Maybe on the open market he will get $8m.. maybe.. but he is realistically worth between $7m-$7.5m

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Did we though? Let's think about each of the pieces for a moment:

A 1st round pick: provided we keep going the way we are, will be late round, so the percentage of it becoming a good player is low. There's a chance, but it's at the point where that chance lowers drastically. It also means we can't put the same value on our 1st round pick as we could have in past years (a good problem to have).

Brz: (I'm just going to call him that) might be the best addition in the swap here given he's the highest scoring dman in the OHL at the moment. However, he's not Willander nor is he Lekkeramaki.

Jurmo: 21 years old, still in the lliga and having a down year it seems. He was a 3rd round pick so he's going to be a long shot and probably even more of a long shot than before at this point.

Like sure, we gave up some, but it's not the sun and the moon either. It really was fair value if you think through the actual pieces given up. Like I said, Brz is probably the one that hurts out of the 3 pieces given up. The other 2, perhaps not so much.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I think it would be fair if EL were signed for a couple more years. As it is, I think it's too much for a guy who might walk when the season is over.

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

What? Lindholm is making $5.5m, there's no way he will ever get twice what he makes, or even close to it.  Maybe on the open market he will get $8m.. maybe.. but he is realistically worth between $7m-$7.5m

According to CAP Friendly, his Cap hit is 4,850,000