[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

Just now, RupertKBD said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I think it would be fair if EL were signed for a couple more years. As it is, I think it's too much for a guy who might walk when the season is over.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Perhaps though we can agree that we got a good player back for this season and that we should be excited for that. 😉

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Fair enough. 

I just believe it isn't that hard to re-sign Lindholm assuming he would be willing to accept $7M AAV.

unfortunately, I think the ask has been $8-9 m, not $7 m.

that said, maybe he accepts less to play further down the lineup on a winning team that isn't in Alberta. 

Just now, The Lock said:

We will have to agree to disagree.

Perhaps though we can agree that we got a good player back for this season and that we should be excited for that. 😉

Absolutely. And as I've already said, I'm really hoping to be proven wrong. We'll see if that's the case at the end of the season.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Absolutely. And as I've already said, I'm really hoping to be proven wrong. We'll see if that's the case at the end of the season.

And, to be fair, even my immediate reaction was "that's a lot of pieces going back" and seeing Brz going the other way kind of hurt. My immediate reaction generally needs to settle before I look at each piece individually, which is why I came to that conclusion of it being fair market value. It's not a home run for us nor is it highway robbery basically and a lot of the value of this is going to depend on what happens throughout the rest of this year.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I'd be a bit surprised if Lindholm accepted 7M to stay a Canuck when he'd easily be the most sought after center in free agency, during the first offseason featuring a sizeable cap jump in a while. 7M is just over a 2M raise given he's just under 5M right now. 

I think the Canucks would have to shave cap from their bottom six to make it work. But hey, moving out Garland to retain Lindholm should be a no brainer. 

His market value is almost certainly a good chunk higher than 7M. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Masterclass of a trade but we have to resign Lindholm. Even if we over pay a bit we can’t let a right shot centre asset of this calibre walk. Plus we don’t have a right shot centre projected to be in the top 6 in the system at all! 

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Did we though? Let's think about each of the pieces for a moment:

A 1st round pick: provided we keep going the way we are, will be late round, so the percentage of it becoming a good player is low. There's a chance, but it's at the point where that chance lowers drastically. It also means we can't put the same value on our 1st round pick as we could have in past years (a good problem to have).

Brz: (I'm just going to call him that) might be the best addition in the swap here given he's the highest scoring dman in the OHL at the moment. However, he's not Willander nor is he Lekkeramaki.

Jurmo: 21 years old, still in the lliga and having a down year it seems. He was a 3rd round pick so he's going to be a long shot and probably even more of a long shot than before at this point.

Like sure, we gave up some, but it's not the sun and the moon either. It really was fair value if you think through the actual pieces given up. Like I said, Brz is probably the one that hurts out of the 3 pieces given up. The other 2, perhaps not so much.

I agree. I liked HB's potential, but I've said with Hronek and Willander in a couple of years taking up the top 4 RD spots, he was expendable and house money. I'd move him for a guy like Lindholm every single time. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

A lot of Flames fans feel Conroy fleeced Allvin and the Canucks. Interesting take.

Apparently Lindholm was a floater and they think they have a number one blue chip top prospect in Brzustewicz.

🤔

Well great then... a win for both sides... fair deal.

1 minute ago, Pears said:

I agree. I liked HB's potential, but I've said with Hronek and Willander in a couple of years taking up the top 4 RD spots, he was expendable and house money. I'd move him for a guy like Lindholm every single time. 

Yeah, not only that, but he was a 3rd round pick that essentially provided value afterwards that didn't exist beforehand. It could easily be a situation of sell high (or it could not and HB becomes a solid NHLer, but that's the risk).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

One big thing to consider with Garland is if we're not clicking along, and if we can't sign Joshua, and Blueger again, how effective will he be? Sure he could remain the key cog he has been this year, or he cold return to being a spina Rama king wasting a precious $5 mil we could be using to retain Lindholm. I still think he's a candidate to free up cap. Even though I'm ecstatic with how well he is playing right now. Perfect storm right now.

Agree with this.  If it were clear that we would lose this line, I think Joshua provides the best bang for the buck right now and I hope either way he gets re-signed.

• Cheers 1

Great trade acquiring the top UFA trade chip in my opinion. The market for centers available after Lindholm is pretty weak. Both Avs and Rangers I would assume were in on this, we paid market value. The fit is great as we have needed a top 6 right handed center for a while now, can PK, good in faceoffs, and is Swedish. Other contenders will have to settle for guys like Monahan and Henrique at inflated prices. Bought low on Lindholm and sold high on Hunter, we could have 3 players on our roster capable of being a #1C.    

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1

JR said when they evaluated the team at around 30 game mark, they identified what they needed and Lindholm was the player potentially available that would fit their needs. 

Deal wasn't done until an hr after Allvin's press conference yesterday. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No he can't (at least on this roster), or he would be.  Mik is coming off major knee surgery that requires the better part of a year to recover from, has been playing with a massively slumping Kuzmenko who has not been putting up points, against usually higher QOC, has more size, and more speed and actually fits/plays a required role in our top 6, and has similar stats despite all those roadblocks. 

Yes, it IS obvious who should be moved out. Garland.

That's your opinion when all the stats (advanced or not) go against what you're saying.

Obviously there is no way for me to convince you if you simply ignore statistics and numbers, so I'm out.

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

JR said when they evaluated the team at around 30 game mark, they identified what they needed and Lindholm was the player potentially available that would fit their needs. 

Deal wasn't done until an hr after Allvin's press conference yesterday. 

So, the rumours about Calgary wanting a 1st for Tanev are true?

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

Miller Pettersson Boeser (all JB)

Mikheyev Lindholm Suter (all PA)

Joshua Blueger Garland (all PA)

Hoglander (JB) Aman (PA) Lafferty (PA)

Hughes (JB) Hronek (PA)

Cole Soucy (both PA)

Zadorov (PA) Myers (JB)

Demko (JB)

DeSmith (PA)

Coaching staff except for Ian Clark is all PA/JR

Top prospects off the top of my head is all PA except for Podz I think.

In a short time they have changed this team over big time. Their finger prints are all over this team. If we win the cup it's 100% on current management. Benning couldn't build around the core that he drafted and you're supposed to accumulate good players when you finish at the bottom of the league year after year.

I agree but you got Garland as PA when it’s JB.

But maybe you just used your mental powers and know that Garland will be traded for another winger…

24 minutes ago, tas said:

unfortunately, I think the ask has been $8-9 m, not $7 m.

that said, maybe he accepts less to play further down the lineup on a winning team that isn't in Alberta. 

Not sure anybody would hand him $8M to $9M when he will likely put up 60ish points.  Who knows though... GMs are ridiculously stupid sometimes.

40 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Garland also JB (not to split hairs...)

Bennings pro scouting sucked... except for Miller there were so many misses it was unreal.

With JB, it almost felt like he had a plan in place regarding acquiring certain players... and still had the same plan in place 2 years later without changing that plan to adapt to changing times. His fixation on OEL without seemingly stopping to ask if it was still a good idea felt insane.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Might be a little bit of overpay but any type of rental would be, because you are trying to outbid other teams. Its always going to be a risk making these moves if player doesnt re-sign but team is clearly going for it this year.