[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Remember when people were saying we need more D, we need more forward depth, we need a 2C, etc ... it wasn't that long ago.

Every time people cried "we need" ... Allvin and co. have filled those needs. Pretty impressive.

Maybe unlike Benning who was reactionary. PA is proactive, and seems to have a good read on what's going on?

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be a bit surprised if Lindholm accepted 7M to stay a Canuck when he'd easily be the most sought after center in free agency, during the first offseason featuring a sizeable cap jump in a while. 7M is just over a 2M raise given he's just under 5M right now. 

I think the Canucks would have to shave cap from their bottom six to make it work. But hey, moving out Garland Mikheyev to retain Lindholm should be a no brainer. 

His market value is almost certainly a good chunk higher than 7M. 

Fixed that for ya 😆

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is #96 a jinxed number?

Bure went from 10 to 96, then changed back because he struggled under that number.

Kuzmenko had one good year in #96. Then next year he gets traded?

And the only other player to wear 96? Adam Gaudette.

Yup, that's because it should be 69 instead.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

With JB, it almost felt like he had a plan in place regarding acquiring certain players... and still had the same plan in place 2 years later without changing that plan to adapt to changing times. His fixation on OEL without seemingly stopping to ask if it was still a good idea felt insane.

That is exactly how it looked... his obsession with OEL was almost weird... 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Fixed that for ya 😆

Ehhh, I disagree but I'm not going to go around in circles over it. 

Lindholm should probably cost any team 8-8.5Mish, I don't see why he wouldn't at least get close to Horvat money given that's a very recent comparable. 

30 minutes ago, tas said:

unfortunately, I think the ask has been $8-9 m, not $7 m.

that said, maybe he accepts less to play further down the lineup on a winning team that isn't in Alberta. 

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be a bit surprised if Lindholm accepted 7M to stay a Canuck when he'd easily be the most sought after center in free agency, during the first offseason featuring a sizeable cap jump in a while. 7M is just over a 2M raise given he's just under 5M right now. 

I think the Canucks would have to shave cap from their bottom six to make it work. But hey, moving out Garland to retain Lindholm should be a no brainer. 

15 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

A lot of Flames fans feel Conroy fleeced Allvin and the Canucks. Interesting take.

Apparently Lindholm was a floater and they think they have a number one blue chip top prospect in Brzustewicz.

🤔

Flames Fleece Canucks in Massive Lindholm Trade 

Apart from this being a hack piece ⬆⬆⬆, with a tone of complete fleecing by Conroy (not!), I didn't recall until now that EL apparently turned down 8 x 9M from Cgy 😳

But it was the Lames, and as I'm sure others have said, he may find a good fit and home here and sign for less. Relax, I said he may. 😏

16 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is #96 a jinxed number?

Bure went from 10 to 96, then changed back because he struggled under that number.

Kuzmenko had one good year in #96. Then next year he gets traded?

And the only other player to wear 96? Adam Gaudette.

Of course it’s jinxed the number 96 is supposed to be 69… But the 6 and the 9 ‘couple’ had a fight and now they’re 96… So it’s a number that represents discord and conflict therefore it’s cursed…

96 is a jinxed and cursed number!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Ehhh, I disagree but I'm not going to go around in circles over it. 

Lindholm should probably cost any team 8-8.5Mish, I don't see why he wouldn't at least get close to Horvat money given that's a very recent comparable. 

Good... I don't wanna try and convince you too... the advanced stats are so overwhelming in favour of Garland it shouldn't even be a discussion.

In terms of Lindholm's cost, as I mentioned earlier, when Horvat signed his extension, he was on pace for 50+ goals and 90+ points.  Lindholm will be lucky to hit 25 goals and 65 points this year.  That's a huge discrepancy between the 2.  Lindholm will also be nearly 2 years older when he signs his extension.  Similar age to Miller when he signed his, but Miller was coming off a 99 point season and got $8M.

4 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Flames Fleece Canucks in Massive Lindholm Trade 

Apart from this being a hack piece ⬆⬆⬆, with a tone of complete fleecing by Conroy (not!), I didn't recall until now that EL apparently turned down 8 x 9M from Cgy 😳

But it was the Lames, and as I'm sure others have said, he may find a good fit and home here and sign for less. Relax, I said he may. 😏

The $8M to $9M ask was before this season started.  He was 1 year removed from his 82 point campaign... even though he only had 64 points last year, it could be seen as an anomaly.  However, as this season is more than half over, we see that he has trended downward even more to be on pace for only 54 points.  I doubt he will ask for $8M to $9M at this point.

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think the Canucks would have to shave cap from their bottom six to make it work. But hey, moving out Garland to retain Lindholm should be a no brainer. 

It may just have to be that we move on from our successful bottom six guys, they have all earned solid pay raises and deserve some term and cash.  It is different than a guy who has $50 million+ in career earnings... these guys absolutely just need to go where the most money is.  This is probably their biggest payday.  If Joshua can turn this year into a 3-4 year x $3.5 million contract on a crappy team... he should do that for himself and his family.

The team's job is just to identify the next set of undervalued players and bring them in, maybe along with some internal competition and push from the farm.  The bonus to being a good team is that there will be a lot of Blueger/Joshua/Lafferty level players who would want to sign here on short term deals to try to raise their stock.

You pay the money to the high end players, Lindholm is that.  If you can get him for $8 million, you sign the dude and figure out the rest of the puzzle afterwards.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

Just now, HKSR said:

Good... I don't wanna try and convince you too... the advanced stats are so overwhelming in favour of Garland it shouldn't even be a discussion.

In terms of Lindholm's cost, as I mentioned earlier, when Horvat signed his extension, he was on pace for 50+ goals and 90+ points.  Lindholm will be lucky to hit 25 goals and 65 points this year.  That's a huge discrepancy between the 2.  Lindholm will also be nearly 2 years older when he signs his extension.  Similar age to Miller when he signed his, but Miller was coming off a 99 point season and got $8M.

Maybe, but he's also a different kind of center than Horvat and has proved he can produce with high end linemates, something Calgary hasn't had much of. 

Plus, UFA and cap jump. Even if his numbers aren't as great, he'll benefit from a rising cap. 

Miller wasn't willing to bet on himself and took the guaranteed security, he wasn't in the same scenario. The cap realities are also vastly different between when Miller signed and when Lindholm will sign. 

Top players always benefit the most from cap increases, Lindholm will be the best center available. It's not a matter of if someone would pay him, it's a matter of who. 

1 minute ago, Provost said:

It may just have to be that we move on from our successful bottom six guys, they have all earned solid pay raises and deserve some term and cash.  It is different than a guy who has $50 million+ in career earnings... these guys absolutely just need to go where the most money is.  This is probably their biggest payday.  If Joshua can turn this year into a 3-4 year x $3.5 million contract on a crappy team... he should do that for himself and his family.

The team's job is just to identify the next set of undervalued players and bring them in, maybe along with some internal competition and push from the farm.

You pay the money to the high end players, Lindholm is that.  If you can get him for $8 million, you sign the dude and figure out the rest of the puzzle afterwards.

I agree.  A top tier RHC that is strong on the dot, shown he can score goals (42 just a couple years ago), has size, defensively strong, etc.... Feels like we're talking about another Miller-esque player here.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

The team's job is just to identify the next set of undervalued players and bring them in, maybe along with some internal competition and push from the farm.

I think there's a good chance only one member of that third line is a Canuck next season. The cost of success is players getting paid, Joshua and Blueger will get some pretty sizeable raises imo. 

Joshua makes less than 1M, he could probably get 3 if he keeps it up. Blueger should get close to that too (about a 1M raise), both could potentially get more if teams want to pony up. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I get trading Mikheyev.....but why Sissons? (honest question)

He's a very tough rumble and tumble player. Great forechecker who plays a gritty and great defensive style. Just what we're looking for to round out the group. Only thing missing is experience. He is a similar player to Jeannot, and the type of player to help you go far in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, chaoticmonkey said:

Uhh elephant in the room is if we can re-sign him (to a reasonable contract). If we can re-sign him then he's worth the ransom we gave up, if we can't then this was a horrendous misuse of organizational assets.

Holy Batman.... slight over reaction much... 🙄😂

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, but he's also a different kind of center than Horvat and has proved he can produce with high end linemates, something Calgary hasn't had much of. 

Plus, UFA and cap jump. Even if his numbers aren't as great, he'll benefit from a rising cap. 

Miller wasn't willing to bet on himself and took the guaranteed security, he wasn't in the same scenario. The cap realities are also vastly different between when Miller signed and when Lindholm will sign. 

Top players always benefit the most from cap increases, Lindholm will be the best center available. It's not a matter of if someone would pay him, it's a matter of who. 

He hasn't been overly productive for 2 years in a row now (last year and so far,  this year).  Hard to argue that fact.

Cap jump is about 5%.  A $6.5M contract with a 5% jump is $6.825, a difference of $325k.  Hardly makes or breaks anything.  Cap jump doesn't mean a $6.5M contract should become an $8.5M contract.

I still think Lindholm won't get more than $7.5M.  That's just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

#23 it is. 

6 all stars and the coach.  Any team in history have that many?  I think maybe the Avs or Detroit back in the day?  Non-cap world though.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

We can afford it though.  We need to move Mikheyev.  That 3rd line produces at a 0.6 PPG clip.  That's about 40 to 50 points for all 3 of them.  I'd expect to spend about $12M on that line and It'll likely only cost $11M to keep them all together ($4.95 + $3M + $3M).  That's a line providing positive value.

Garland offensive game is at a career low this year, but in the past years, he puts up more

points than Mik.  At the very least, keep the 3rd line together until after the playoffs.  If they

can move Mik for a return that could help the team acquire Tanev, then go for it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MidKnight Ego said:

need RD players... and myers can actually carry the puck...

I honestly don't get the people that talk about bringing him back. It's like Bear, that's for losers who are desperate to fill out their team. We must be able to set our sights higher than a rubbish pile can't we. We're the #1 team in the league, surely we can do better ... Myers is the absolute everything else failed play.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

He hasn't been overly productive for 2 years in a row now (last year and so far,  this year).  Hard to argue that fact.

Cap jump is about 5%.  A $6.5M contract with a 5% jump is $6.825, a difference of $325k.  Hardly makes or breaks anything.  Cap jump doesn't mean a $6.5M contract should become an $8.5M contract.

I still think Lindholm won't get more than $7.5M.  That's just my opinion.

Don't have to, we can agree to disagree. 

Lindholm brings defensive chops Horvat lacked, and he will be the best center available. We've seen UFA's be overpaid time and time again, I don't see why Lindholm would be any different. 

Washington is the first team that immediately comes to mind, they need a top center something fierce.