[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Garland offensive game is at a career low this year, but in the past years, he puts up more

points than Mik.  At the very least, keep the 3rd line together until after the playoffs.  If they

can move Mik for a return that could help the team acquire Tanev, then go for it.

Yup, I trust our pro scouting to determine if this 3rd line is the real deal, or a flash in the pan.  If they're the real deal, then $3M each for Blueger and Joshua, and Garland staying at $4.95M is worth the cost. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Don't have to, we can agree to disagree. 

Lindholm brings defensive chops Horvat lacked, and he will be the best center available. We've seen UFA's be overpaid time and time again, I don't see why Lindholm would be any different. 

Washington is the first team that immediately comes to mind, they need a top center something fierce. 

Totally see where you're coming from.  I'll agree to disagree though, as I don't think in a cap world that GMs will just throw massive amounts of money with term for production that hasn't met that level in a couple years.  If it was last year, I could see it... hence Lindholm's ask of $8M+.  Lindholm at $8.5M to $9M will just be an anchor in a few years.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

This is a good point

Colorado - a possible direct competitor in the playoffs- needs a center too....this move check mates them out of the best one available.

Lindholm would make a lot of sense for Colorado too if they could fit it capwise 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Tanev was part of the trade talks, but the belief is that the Flames want a first for him and that's when Tanev talks broke down

Unlikely to happen then.  Need to look at another defensive depth target.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, I get it. There's a lot to like about him as a player, but as I've pointed out multiple times, he's a pending UFA and as such, I think we gave up too much for him.

Really? He was always going to garner a first to start conversation. Minimum. Love Kuz, but with another year at 5.5, he has par value. Not a cap dump, but worth barely anything. Two long shot prospects and a very late first. For a legit defensive, righty, faceoff winner filling a position of need. Not sure what's not to like about it.

• Cheers 2

Another trade this actually kind of reminds me of is when O'Reilly was traded to St. Louis. It was O'Reilly going one way and everything else coming back. Buffalo's still benefitting from that trade; however, St. Louis did win the cup and got many years afterwards out of O'Reilly.

Obviously, it's too early to tell how similar this trade could be but the initial similarities are there.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Unlikely to happen then.  Need to look at another defensive depth target.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being an Oiler, if the Flames will trade with the Canucks they'll trade with the Oil 

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Good... I don't wanna try and convince you too... the advanced stats are so overwhelming in favour of Garland it shouldn't even be a discussion.

In terms of Lindholm's cost, as I mentioned earlier, when Horvat signed his extension, he was on pace for 50+ goals and 90+ points.  Lindholm will be lucky to hit 25 goals and 65 points this year.  That's a huge discrepancy between the 2.  Lindholm will also be nearly 2 years older when he signs his extension.  Similar age to Miller when he signed his, but Miller was coming off a 99 point season and got $8M.

So Lindholm need to get 2 ppg to reach that number.

If so Petey or Miller might get the Art Ross.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

Really? He was always going to garner a first to start conversation. Minimum. Love Kuz, but with another year at 5.5, he has par value. Not a cap dump, but worth barely anything. Two long shot prospects and a very late first. For a legit defensive, righty, faceoff winner filling a position of need. Not sure what's not to like about it.

The fact that he likely walks in half a year?

Just now, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being an Oiler, if the Flames will trade with the Canucks they'll trade with the Oil 

Sure hope not.  The Oilers would actually have a legitimate defender then....

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

We dropped Kuzy’s cap this and next year and got a player that levels us up for a Cup run. So yeah, if he does walk, so be it 

How we did this with a 32OA pick and a 3/4 prospect is beyond me. Kuzy was either benched or scratched a lot of the games and the whole NHL knew it.

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LillStrimma said:

So Lindholm need to get 2 ppg to reach that number.

If so Petey or Miller might get the Art Ross.

That's what I feel anyways. 

Could some nut job GM give Lindholm an offer in the $8M to $9M range?  Sure... weirder things have happened.  Would Lindholm ever live up to that contract?  No chance.

Don't forget, it's unlikely Lindholm wants to go to a bottom feeder (which are the teams with cap space)... so that means a contender will likely need to move money out to fit him in.  THEN they gotta overpay for his contract demands on top of that.  Huge price to pay IMO.

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

We dropped Kuzy’s cap this and next year and got a player that levels up for a Cup run. So yeah, if he does walk, so be it 

So, if we fail to win a Cup, do you think that will have been a good deal?

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think there's a good chance only one member of that third line is a Canuck next season. The cost of success is players getting paid, Joshua and Blueger will get some pretty sizeable raises imo. 

Joshua makes less than 1M, he could probably get 3 if he keeps it up. Blueger should get close to that too (about a 1M raise), both could potentially get more if teams want to pony up. 

Ya, and an extended playoff run with some performance by them there likely inflates their value even further.

I doubt they are back.  The good thing is, there are always players available for the bottom end of your lineup on efficient short term deals.  With centre depth and Suter being able to anchor a 3rd line, you should be able to build around that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I think it's more likely we re-sign him. We have so many options for letting guys walk and upping our big guns in Petey, Hronek, and Lindholm. We can fill role players with Podz, Bains, Raty, etc. and have the luxury of insulating them to start, since our core depth is so insane now.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Yip, that's a rental for you. The Canucks are now a way more complete team going into playoffs. That's the cost. If you don't believe in giving up assets for a quality upgrade to make the team stronger, probably shouldn't be impressed with keeping our pending free agents either because that is one of the same. Loosing assets for half a seasons play is like paying assets for half a seasons played. Both a loss of assets for betterment of a possible playoff run. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

That's what I feel anyways. 

Could some nut job GM give Lindholm an offer in the $8M to $9M range?  Sure... weirder things have happened.  Would Lindholm ever live up to that contract?  No chance.

Don't forget, it's unlikely Lindholm wants to go to a bottom feeder (which are the teams with cap space)... so that means a contender will likely need to move money out to fit him in.  THEN they gotta overpay for his contract demands on top of that.  Huge price to pay IMO.

If there was a move that might get Petey and Lindy to make a more team friendly deal it was this.

So I hope they do just that. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

So, if we fail to win a Cup, do you think that will have been a good deal?

Yes because it gave this team the best chance possible to win a Cup.  The Cup is never guaranteed.  A lot of things need to go right even when on paper, the team looks unbeatable.  Ask the Bruins about that. 

The loss of assets:

Kuzmenko - CLEARLY in the doghouse with the coach, and seemingly couldn't break out of it.  At 27 years old, unlikely that would change.

Hunter B - as I mentioned in another post, he's likely closer to a late 1st rounder or maybe even 2nd rounder in terms of value (I can explain more if you need me to).

1st - a late 1st.

Jurmo and a 4th are throw ins.  They don't move the needle at all.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Steep price.  Too bad they couldn't have got a package deal that included Tanev.  Now THAT would have  been a blockbuster. 

But I love that JR and Allvin struck early. Got er done. 

Edited by kilgore