[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

After letting the trade sink in, I still think this was a great move for many reasons. JR and co identified a need and they went for the player that best suits this need. Getting out of Kuzy's second year contract is underrated, but what i like the most is how they pulled the trigger early and allow more time to evaluate the team to see if where they can further improve before the TDL. If you look at the trade bait board, Monahan and Henrique are the next two best C available. If we didn't jump on Lindholm, i think we'd be more upset with giving up a first which is the speculated trade price for Monahan. My gut tells me we'll feel a little bit better about the price we paid when other teams pay more for lesser value on TDL.

And if rumours is true about the negotiations to include Tanev with a second first rounder, I'm glad we didn't. I would love for Tanev to come back, but not at that price. Let someone else rent him for a premium and we can sign him on July 1. 

• Like 1

I don’t know Kids - call me a Debbie Downer but the fact that this dude has dropped off significantly from his 80+Points 40+goals season two years ago has me concerned… Clearly he doesn’t carry the line he’s on and I kind of want him to… Miller managed to get points no matter who he was with - this guy isn’t a Miller type player… He needs to have good players supporting him in order to get points which makes sense yes…

but…. Still I’m kinda concerned 

I trust management tho…

they seem to know what they are doing…

so far so good… 

these guys seem to have the Midas touch… Every player they acquire fits in excels and thrives under the coaching system and personnel

5 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Way too hung up on the late first. Kuz worth little, the prospects are long shots. They are shots, but long shots. We kept Will, Lekk, Pods, Hogs and gained a defensive right side Selke type who doesn't wilt. Imagine how much pressure this takes off JT with defensive responsibilities. A lot of assets? Maybe, but more quantity than quality. I'm pumped. 

Yes, we didn't give up hogs, Pods, lekkermaki or wilander.  So no big long term damage.  

Yes a top 6 right shot center of this quality probably makes the playoff run more viable.  

But yes it's a big payout for a rental.  

Just now, HKSR said:

So your opinion is we should have just stayed as we are with utilizing Suter as our 2C for the playoffs?

Yes.

Or tried to land Monahan, if we could have done so for a decent price.

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I wasn't "expecting" anything. I thought I was clear: I wouldn't have made this deal, if I was PA.

I know everyone thinks were not going to miss anything we've given up, but I disagree. I thought we already agreed to do so? :classic_unsure:

There is a reason PA has this job.How about you?Wanna keep picks and be treadmill???

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

you are likely right... Garland is the player to go... Mikheyev can score 20 on any line...

I have been seeing this a lot but I think that if we trade Garland then we can also trade Joshua. Garland makes Joshua and that line click. Just my POV

8 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Because it's a lot of assets for a guy who is probably just a rental.  I hope not just a rental but......

That's the price to play, you have to keep in mind we weren't the only team in on him. Lindholm changes our team in a pretty major way. Besides, we got him really early. Deadline isn't til the end of the month. Lots of time to kick tires with his agent between now and the end of June. Looking at our team, it's hard not to want to be apart of this. Especially as a near 30 year old who hasn't won yet.

But at the end of the day, the assets we gave up we don't really need. A late 1st in a meh draft, Brzustewicz is an interesting prospect but with Huggy and Hronek he wasn't sniffing the powerplay any time soon, even if he was NHL ready within the next 4 years anyway. We sold high on a 3rd rounder we drafted barely 7 months ago who wasn't gonna be a fit with us anyway. Kuzy wasn't even being used by the coaching staff. So we turned a guy the coaching staff doesn't trust into someone they will. Those assets at best were 5 years away or never likely to sniff the show at all in Jurmo's case, in Kuzy's case he was actually hurting us.

A chance at a cup or some mystery boxes that even if they panned out weren't gonna amount to much or even be fits. I think the decision came pretty easy for management.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lemon Face said:

There is a reason PA has this job.How about you?Wanna keep picks and be treadmill???

I don't know what this means.

Are you saying that GM's never make mistakes?:classic_unsure:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Yes.

Nothing is guaranteed. 

The Cup is the hardest trophy to win in all sports.

We also took the best centre off the market from other teams like Colorado.

I don't get why some people are putting this "winning the cup" ultimatum on how they view the trade.

It's like they are already positioning themselves so that if Canucks don't win the cup they can say "See, I knew it was a bad trade".

This is a fantastic trade regardless the team outcome. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I don’t know Kids - call me a Debbie Downer but the fact that this dude has dropped off significantly from his 80+Points 40+goals season two years ago has me concerned… Clearly he doesn’t carry the line he’s on and I kind of want him to… Miller managed to get points no matter who he was with - this guy isn’t a Miller type player… He needs to have good players supporting him in order to get points which makes sense yes…

I trust management tho…

so far so good… 

these guys seem to have the Midas touch… Every player they acquire fits in excels and thrives under the coaching system and personnel

Be careful about spreding lies,about FO doing Midas touch on Miller.Deb has no Mercy.

I think the price was a little high.  Being too high, will depend if we can re-sign him.  Well...I guess if we the Cup that's N/A, '

But just looking at our playoff picture. Such an upgrade. I mean I love the Kuz, and am so sad to watch him decline this season. But he proved he just does not fit in well with Tocchets system.  Which is a playoff calibre system.

Use your imagination and picture us in the playoffs, and Kuzmenko's line goes over the boards.  As he plays now, I would not be confident in that line doing anything, and maybe be vulnerable for a goal against.  He's just not a playoff breed kind of player. At least not yet. Everything Kuz is criticized for here by Tocc is exactly what is needed 10x in the playoffs.  His value may have been even less this summer if we'd kept him

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They don't go against what I'm saying. I'm not arguing that Garland sucks and is playing poorly. It's literally not an argument I'm making. I'm not "ignoring" anything.

Does Garland play in our top 6? Does Mikheyev? Is $4.95m a lot of cap for a 3rd line player? Could we use that cap in our top 6 / top 4 next year? Does using that cap on better players than Garland move the needle more than keeping Garland? How much do we lose but swapping Garland for Hoglander and adding/keeping better players in our top 6 / top 4.

One of many reasons I hope we explore a Bjugstad trade. Good enough to play a complementary role in our top 6 this year, good size, 2 way play, another RH'd C option...and should Blueger go on to greener $$$ pastures this summer, he's under contract for another year at $2.1m and could slide right in to a 3C role.

Swapping out Garland for Hoglander could capsize the chemistry on that 3rd line.  Blueger and Joshua are feeding off of Garland's line driving ability.  Take out Garland and the STRONG likelihood is Blueger and Joshua's numbers drop.  That's the point in all this.  Hoglander doesn't drive play the same way Garland does.  He's NOT 95% of what Garland provides.  The numbers and facts prove that, but you're ignoring it all and just stating your eye test as fact.

I've provided facts backed by analytics and stats, but apparently that's all meaningless and that Garland making $4.95M vs Mikheyev making $4.75M while Garland actually has more points as well, all means that Mikheyev is the superior asset? 

That's why I said, there's no way for me to convince you because ALL of the numbers (stats, analytics, etc) back what I'm saying.  Your eye test and the fact Mikheyev is playing on a so-called 2nd line (that has been absolutely TERRIBLE btw), makes Mikheyev the asset to keep.

6 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I trust management tho…

so far so good… 

He doesn't carry lines but he adds to them significantly by being a Swiss army knife. He's what we wished Mikheyev would be but better offensively. He will be the forechecking with skill needed for the top 6.

3 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

But yes it's a big payout for a renta

It's not though, sorry, can't agree. A first is always in the equation for a top player, always. Kuz is par and freeing up next years 5.5 is big

The prospects and picks are long shots. Maybe players, but percentage wise more likely Brendan Gaunce and Jack Rathbone. 

2 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

you are likely right... Garland is the player to go... Mikheyev can score 20 on any line...

Mikheyev has only scored more than 13 goals ONCE in his entire career.  Now he's able to score 20 on any line??  Oh man... people are overrating Mikheyev so much here it's mind boggling.

4 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I trust management tho…

so far so good… 

Can only pass to Huberdeau so many times and him not score. 

The flames suck. The whole team sucks right now, it's not like Lindholm was the only one having a below average year.

Its not just coincidence that Lindholms play dropped off the same time as Kadri, Huberdeau, Mangiapane, Backlund etc.

I wouldnt worry too much about this years stats

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's what I feel anyways. 

Could some nut job GM give Lindholm an offer in the $8M to $9M range?  Sure... weirder things have happened.  Would Lindholm ever live up to that contract?  No chance.

Don't forget, it's unlikely Lindholm wants to go to a bottom feeder (which are the teams with cap space)... so that means a contender will likely need to move money out to fit him in.  THEN they gotta overpay for his contract demands on top of that.  Huge price to pay IMO.

Not until July 1st, 2024 ... unless they want to risk a tampering charge and lose draft picks. 

My every so humble opinion is that:

1) PA / JR already know what the ball park value is to resign Lindhom, would be a gross oversight on their part to have cannonballed into the deep end of the pool without having an idea of what that would at least look like

2) If not signed in a "reasonable" amount of time, can shop a bit to other teams in advance of July 1st, 2024 and trade exclusive negotiating rights for draft pick(s) to a team Lindholm would be interested in signing with plus a team that has an idiot GM willing to blow the Canucks out of the water on dollars and term. 

4 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I don't get why some people are putting this "winning the cup" ultimatum on how they view the trade.

It's like they are already positioning themselves so that if Canucks don't win the cup they can say "See, I knew it was a bad trade".

This is a fantastic trade regardless the team outcome. 

If the Canucks win a couple of rounds and Linholm plays well, I won't say it was a bad trade....

But if Kuz reverts to his form of last season and Hunter B continues his current trajectory, then I will.

Just now, RupertKBD said:

If the Canucks win a couple of rounds and Linholm plays well, I won't say it was a bad trade....

But if Kuz reverts to his form of last season and Hunter B continues his current trajectory, then I will.

Its a gamble...like all trades...

But if not now, then when...?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I trust management tho…

so far so good… 

I believe they let Lindholm be 2nd C when he let them know how much he wanted. Kadri moved to first.

Here with our top players he will show why he wants over 8 mill… 

When did Miller play with lesser players here? 
Petey played with the leftovers from thebeginning but Miller always got good players around him here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1