[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

1 minute ago, Guntrix said:

Jesus Christ. This is way, way, way too much. Kuzmenko, a 1st, AND Brzustewicz for a potential rental? 

Brzustewicz hurts the most for me. The guy is putting up absolute elite numbers for a D. Still maintain he's more valuable than Willander.

Tired Don Lemon GIF by Leroy Patterson

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rocket-68 said:

1986 Oilers had 9 players at the game plus Glen Sather --> https://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=28952 .. I can't imagine anyone would have beaten that particular season.

Wonder what the record is in the cap era.  It was a lot easier to have LOTS of superstars on one team if you paid for them back in the day.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

So options

Petey miller boes

Mik Lindholm -----

Joshua blueger garland

Hogz Suter laff

Or

--- Miller boes

Petey Lindholm mik

Joshua blueger garland

Hogz Suter laff

Does someone from Abby get promoted?

Edited by stawns

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If he signs in Vancouver there's a good chance he would be, depending on which line is actually the top line going forward. I expect that'll be Pettersson's line going forward as Miller ages. 

I guess it comes down to what you consider as being "less". I think 8-8.5M would probably be fair value. Both are less than 9M. I'll be a bit surprised if his next deal begins with a 7. Mid to high 7's would be generous on his part. 

One could argue his numbers have taken a hit, one could also argue his team has been shit. 

I guess the proof will be in the puddn. His team has been shit. None the less he's had 2 down years as a leader on his team. Even when we were shit our stars were still producing. Miller and Bo earned those big deals by playing well. He hasn't so far IMO shown he deserves over 7.5 w term attached. MGMT needs to be careful how they spend.

If he comes in and finishes the year strong going close to PPG sure maybe? At least we get to try before we buy. It will all hinge on whether he is the right line mate for Pete. Playing him at 3C is not an efficient use of cap. Regardless of whether its 7m or more. It was the same with BO. Once it was established they couldn't pay him and balance the roster the solution was clear. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The sample size we have of Mikheyev is that he's always recovering from some kinda injury.  He hasn't played more than 54 games in a season.  He has only scored more than 13 goals in a season ONCE. 

Our 3rd line is our life line.  Without it, we're nowhere near where we are.  You wanna know how good that line is?

"Seventy-one forward lines in the NHL have played at least 100 minutes together and the Garland-Blueger-Joshua combo ranks 11th best with a dominant 61.5 percent control of expected goals according to MoneyPuck. They’re hemming opponents in the defensive zone with a repeated barrage of heavy shifts, generating a high volume of dangerous chances and boasting strong defensive results too."

https://theathletic.com/5145416/2023/12/18/conor-garland-canucks-observations/

Let that sink in.  11th best in terms of expected goals. 

And even MORE facts and statistics to show how Garland is the driver of that 11th best line in the NHL:

image.png.e4e986480a3c004a40bfd24e3a8fe25c.png

Suck it up buttercup.  Garland is immensely valuable.  FAR more than Mikheyev.  We keep Garland on that 3rd line because he makes that line the consistent threat that it is day in and day out. 

Again, for the 101st time no I don't need convincing. Two of our 3rd line are having career years and Garland has always been a good player, this year included. I'm really not sure why you keep bringing this up. Nobody is arguing he/that line isn't playing well.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Again, you keep flinging your same narrative -- OH, Mikheyev is recovering, oh Mikheyev had to carry a 2nd line with Kuzmenko and Pettersson on it... is that it?  That Mik is recovering and that he was forced to carry Pettersson and Kuzmenko?  THAT is your premise?

No...Mik (recovering) AND Pettersson have been carrying (dragging around the corpse of) Kuz (though Pettersson has been off for stretches and has likely been nursing something as well). My "premise" (I'll repeat it again for you) is that Mik is an affordable, complementary top 6 player that contributes on both special teams and that Garland is an expensive luxury on our 3rd line and largely a 5v5 player.

• Cheers 3

Just now, stawns said:

So options

Petey miller boes

Mik Lindholm -----

Joshua blueger garland

Hogz Suter laff

Or

--- Miller boes

Petey Lindholm mik

Joshua blueger garland

Hogz Suter laff

Second option I would think. If we can find a 4c on the cheap Suter can play with Miller-Boes. 

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What's the record number of representatives?  I can't seem to find anything online, but I remember seeing it on TV somewhere.... I think it was the Avs back in the day?  But that was pre-cap era I believe.

I saw a tweet last night hay 6 was the record for players. Can't be more than 7.. seems next to impossible 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Second option I would think. If we can find a 4c on the cheap Suter can play with Miller-Boes. 

Or maybe hogz moves up and podz or bains or karlsson gets the call

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Wonder what the record is in the cap era.  It was a lot easier to have LOTS of superstars on one team if you paid for them back in the day.

For the record, I am not discounting in the slightest the absolutely AWESOME season the Canucks are having nor the fact they have 5 (now 6) All Stars at this coming ASG, I wish it included Honker at the very least. Just pointing out a historical fact and the "distinction" some are making about this year and 1986.

To me the Canucks 2023 - 2024 are on the cusp of greatness, at least in the eyes of Canuck fans, and we all hope our dreams are not just the wisp of dawn hovering just out of reach promising a new day only to be dashed with a game 7 loss. 

Edited by Rocket-68

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I saw a tweet last night hay 6 was the record for players. Can't be more than 7.. seems next to impossible 

Yeah.  I just did a quick skim (and definitely could have missed something) of the rosters in the salary cap era.  I believe we will have the record after this weekend. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ribs said:

damn I guess that's a thing I'll have to do

I was 0 days old when I found out we had a Kuzy emoji ... checking now, of course we did ... yes we have Bruce-There-It-Is smiling face for the godless heathens pounding away on their keyboards right about now.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again, for the 101st time no I don't need convincing. Two of our 3rd line are having career years and Garland has always been a good player, this year included. I'm really not sure why you keep bringing this up. Nobody is arguing he/that line isn't playing well.

No...Mik (recovering) AND Pettersson have been carrying (dragging around the corpse of) Kuz (though Pettersson has been off for stretches and has likely been nursing something as well). My "premise" (I'll repeat it again for you) is that Mik is an affordable, complementary top 6 player that contributes on both special teams and that Garland is an expensive luxury on our 3rd line and largely a 5v5 player.

And I'll repeat it to you again.  Garland is providing the value for his 4.95m creating a 3rd line that produces like a 2nd line.  Mikheyev is playing like a 4th line defensive forward for 4.75m on the 2nd line.  It's obvious which guy brings more bang for the buck.  Even in those simple terms, Garland is the obvious keeper.

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

So options

Petey miller boes

Mik Lindholm -----

Joshua blueger garland

Hogz Suter laff

Or

--- Miller boes

Petey Lindholm mik

Joshua blueger garland

Hogz Suter laff

PDG on that 1st line? Petey with Lindholm? Suter looked good on that 1st line too. Load it up when needed?

Edited by Knucklhd

24 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Jesus Christ. This is way, way, way too much. Kuzmenko, a 1st, AND Brzustewicz for a potential rental? 

Brzustewicz hurts the most for me. The guy is putting up absolute elite numbers for a D. Still maintain he's more valuable than Willander.

Lol no. We need a big bodied top-6 center now more than we need a small bodied offensive defenseman in 3 years. We have Hughes. We only have room for 1. Remember Rathboner and how we really wanted him to work out. Hunter is VERY similar. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Mik, Petey, Lind will be our 2nd line. Garland is on our 3rd line. It's even the main reason we were given for being unable to trade him last summer. A lot of teams view him as a 3rd liner on a contender (though IMO he can play a complementary role to a bigger, 2 way 2C and/or on a lesser team). Your small sample size doesn't change that.

Coming off knee surgery, dragging dead weight, in a small sample size.....sure. We're talking next year's roster, with a recovered Mikheyev. 

Again, complementary, both special teams, affordable top 6 player vs expensive, play driving 5v5 3rd line player. 

I'm sorry but no. MGMT has really done well in many regards. It's been a pleasure to see them completely drown out the noise of this city and execute their gameplan.  At times ruthlessly. No GM is going to batt 100%.

At the time of the signing he ticked all the boxes size speed used on the PK. The toronto media koolaid was strong. When we signed Mik he was the guy who helped us land Kuzz and in the end could have been the Mikael Samuelsson of that line and made it dangerous. He hasn't been. He has been sort of a winger version of Brandon Sutter good enough to not stand out but not displaying any competitive edge. Just kinda there.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

And I'll repeat it to you again.  Garland is providing the value for his 4.95m creating a 3rd line that produces like a 2nd line.  Mikheyev is playing like a 4th line defensive forward for 4.75m on the 2nd line.  It's obvious which guy brings more bang for the buck.  Even in those simple terms, Garland is the obvious keeper.

They literally have the exact amount of points, so how does Garland provide more value?  Mikheyev also kills penalties and is 100% playing in the top 6.  Tocchet has never played Mikheyev on the 4th line.  Can you show me how many guys in the NHL are playing on the 3rd line and make $5 million a year?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

So options

Petey miller boes

Mik Lindholm -----

Joshua blueger garland

Hogz Suter laff

Or

--- Miller boes

Petey Lindholm mik

Joshua blueger garland

Hogz Suter laff

I've been saying it for a while now. I'd love to see Vatrano added and I believe Suter is plenty talented enough to play on the wing in the top 6.

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Lindholm-Petey-Vatrano

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Mikheyev-Lafferty-Hoglander

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Exactly this:

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why you guys keep going back and forth.  Mikheyev plays in the top 6, Garland does not.  Tocchet tried to play Garland in the top 6 but it doesn't work because he hogs the puck which doesn't work if you are playing with Miller or Petey.  He is very good on the 3rd line, I have no problem with him on there.  But he is not cost efficient at $5 million.  If Garland was getting paid $3 million he would be fine as a long term fit on the 3rd line.  Blueger has also been playing great, but Suter was our 3rd line centre before he got injured and I think Suter can easily replace Blueger on that line as well, which is why I don't think we are going to re-sign Blueger who is having a career year and probably wants $3 million.  FYI, Blueger was not even a roster player for Vegas last season, he was an extra in the playoffs.

As for Mikheyev, he is more valuable than Garland because he can do much more at a cheaper price.  Tocchet is playing him in the top 6, however he can also play on the 3rd or even 4th line.  He plays the 2nd unit PP and he is also one of our 6 PK'ers.  So he does alot more and is over $1 million cheaper.  Eventually, we will phase Mikheyev out as guys like Podkolzin and Lekkerimaki come on the team, but he is fine for the next 2 years.

Bottom line, is that we will not be able to afford all of our UFA's this summer, so JR/PA will be prioritizing.  I think the first priority will be Lindholm, especially considering the price we paid for him, then Joshua, then Zadorov, then DeSmith.  I think those are the 4 key guys we want back to make another run.  Blueger, Lafferty, Cole and Myers are luxury items that we may not be able to afford and may have to replace with other UFA's.  100% Podkolzin will be on the team, so he will take up a roster spot.  Also, if Allvin wants to re-sign those 4 guys, then he 100% needs to make a trade.  I think Garland would be at the top of the list.  One year ago we were trying to trade him with a sweetener attached.  This summer we can probably get an asset back.  Best to trade high on Garland.  I think either Hoglander or Podkolzin will be the ones replacing him at a fraction of the cost...

• Cheers 2