[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

This was Benning's ONLY good trade 🤪

At one with any significant impact or wasn't preluded by a previous bad trade (i.e. McCann and 2nd -> Gudbransson -> Pearson ).  

Even Maggie the Monkey could have made one good trade over an 8 year period.  Benning had lots of time to assemble the team that we have right now.  Yes, he drafted Petey and Hughes.  But in order to draft them, we had to be really bad.  It's not a coincidence that Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin completely transformed this team in one year.  They obviously are alot better at GMing than Benning was...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Raty has fallen off in Abby. He's not doing great. He was recently playing bottom 6 in Abby...

It's best to try get something of value for him and use it towards a Cup run this year..  

I would do 2nd and Raty for Tanev without a 2md thought. 

Raty has 25 points in 40 games.  That's not bad for his first full season in the AHL.  Next year will be his big year I think.  This management group isn't going to give up on their young players as easily as the past management group.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

My understanding is that Canucks are 8th as Cup favoraites tied with the Leafs.

I would probably say if the Canukcs want to load up the Lotto line the 2nd line even with Lindholm is a bit soft. Maybe another 2nd line winger ? 

If the Leafs loaded up one line they would also be soft on the 2nd line.  Most teams would IMO.  Colorado doesn't even have a legit 2C.  Boston doesn't even have a legit 1C.  We already know about Edmonton's goaltending and defence, it never holds up in the playoffs.  Eichel is out for Vegas and they have been playing poorly.  Rangers don't have any right wingers who can play in the top 6.  Tampa doesn't have much on defence after their top 3 guys.  Every team has holes.

IMO, with the addition of Lindholm the Canucks have the deepest team in the entire NHL.  We will see how this plays out.  But I have a feeling the Canucks aren't going to be losing many games the rest of the year by switching out Kuzmenko with Lindholm...

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

I have watched for decades as a fan..... I can tell you three things with 100% certanty about boeser from this little review...

He is slow... almost 3.5MPH slower than the top players

I bet no one would tell you this stat... He starts on EV on D more that offense... D 34%    to  29%O despite that... he puts on average 3% more shots than expected, even though he out shot quite a bit...

He is wicked good in close,the type's of shots he scores are all right in the slot or in the crease with 50 shots coming from the slot with 27% S% and 10 shots in the crease @50% S%... 18 total goals from these two spots...

and maybe only one of these stats might surprise you, but it doesnt matter... stats are a time machine now... i dont have to watch... cardinal sin or not

the stats are literally meaningless and devoid of context without watching. you don't even know the actual "what" let alone the "why". 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

We need a RHD now 

Give CGY  Friedman + 2nd + Raty for Tanev and bring him home. 

Our Defense would be set for a Cup run if we can add Tanev. 

Tanev makes $4.5 million. CGY retains 50% of his cap 

We have $1.8 mill cap space right now with Friedman and his $775k going other way we will have $2.5 mill cap available.

Make it happen JR/PA 

Was just reported the current cost/ask for Tanev is a 2nd and an additional piece. Likely someone that is ready to take next step. Would need to add on top if they are retaining for this year. 

2025 2nd + 2024 5th + Karlsson, L 

Tanev, C (retained at 50%) 

Friedman being sent down allows us to fit him in. Soucy on LTIR gives us a little extra room as well. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

the stats are literally meaningless and devoid of context without watching. you don't even know the actual "what" let alone the "why". 

false.... lets not pretend i dont know what i am talking about...

I know how fast someone skates and what that means...

I know what scoring from a certain area means, just because i dont have the defenders and offensive context doesnt mean much at all... why??? because everything averages out baby... sure yeah some of those goals might be flukes, but not all of them... and hockey is the luckiest sport in the world... so yeah flukes happen...

I also really don't give two flying monkey shits what you think about my stat processing... perhaps the average srub is not smart enough to use them correctly... but i am and i know their limitations...

pretending a stat is useless is like pretending you dont feel anything when you watch adult rated movis...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Raty has 25 points in 40 games.  That's not bad for his first full season in the AHL.  Next year will be his big year I think.  This management group isn't going to give up on their young players as easily as the past management group.  

With Blueger’s contract expiring, there is a spot for Raty next year if he is ready. ditto Petterson D or Willander…..and Lekkermaki when Boesers contract is up.

The team is constructed properly now, allowing you to take some shots (Lindholm).

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Mc1laren said:

Was just reported the current cost/ask for Tanev is a 2nd and an additional piece. Likely someone that is ready to take next step. Would need to add on top if they are retaining for this year. 

2025 2nd + 2024 5th + Karlsson, L 

Tanev, C (retained at 50%) 

Friedman being sent down allows us to fit him in. Soucy on LTIR gives us a little extra room as well. 

The Tanev dream is dead. IF we wanted him, he would have been combined in the Lindholm deal.

Besides, I’m very comfortable with our D once Soucy is back. The jump Juulsen made really negates taking a swing on aD rental. Any move made would be to improve the team longer term in my opinion.

i love Tanev, but the 2016 version that wasn’t always hurt.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

it means absolutely nothing without the specific context. how fast is the guy that he's trying to go by skating? what direction is he skating? what is he trying to accomplish? is he the primary puck carrier on his line? does his line spend all their time in the offensive zone?

this shit is meaningless. I unfortunately now have to disregard any hockey opinion you have by default because I know it is utterly baseless. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Seems that Calgary is very happy with this trade. I was listening to Flames Talk in Sportsnet and they felt like they got a haul for this deal.

And really yes they did though I can't help but feel that  Hunter Brzustewicz may end up walking just like Adam Fox. 

Really? What else can they say? Yes, if HB can make it to the NHL then they did OK. For all we know Kuz might find a spot. That won't change his game other than ppg. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

false.... lets not pretend i dont know what i am talking about...

I know what scoring from a certain area means, just because i dont have the defenders and offensive context doesnt mean much at all... why??? because everything averages out baby... sure yeah some of those goals might be flukes, but not all of them... and hockey is the luckiest sport in the world... so yeah flukes happen...

I also really don't give two flying monkey shits what you think about my stat processing... perhaps the average srub is not smart enough to use them correctly... but i am and i know their limitations...

pretending a stat is useless is like pretending you dont feel anything when you watch adult rated movis...

do you think you can tell what a Michelin star chef's signature dish tastes like by reading a list of ingredients?

Edited by tas
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If the Leafs loaded up one line they would also be soft on the 2nd line.  Most teams would IMO.  Colorado doesn't even have a legit 2C.  Boston doesn't even have a legit 1C.  We already know about Edmonton's goaltending and defence, it never holds up in the playoffs.  Eichel is out for Vegas and they have been playing poorly.  Rangers don't have any right wingers who can play in the top 6.  Tampa doesn't have much on defence after their top 3 guys.  Every team has holes.

IMO, with the addition of Lindholm the Canucks have the deepest team in the entire NHL.  We will see how this plays out.  But I have a feeling the Canucks aren't going to be losing many games the rest of the year by switching out Kuzmenko with Lindholm...

Last night was truly laughable as HNIC drags Keon and the '67 Laffers out of mothballs. Supposed to be a All-Star weekend and we get half an hour of Laffer history and BS. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Really? What else can they say? Yes, if HB can make it to the NHL then they did OK. For all we know Kuz might find a spot. That won't change his game other than ppg. 

Yup. Flames got magic beans and a Kuz Missile. 
late first = likely not an nhler

HB = likely not an nhler

Jurmo = definitely not an nhler

3rd = likely not an nhler

Kuz Missile = cute as hell but not a guy a club can win with. 

I agree with @tashere.  

Both teams can win a trade.  Calgary got 5 pieces for a pending UFA.  Kuz could very well turn into a consistent goal scorer for them, Hunter is a pretty good prospect and a first.

We gave up a lot but also got one of the hardest things to find, a number one defensively responsible right shooting centre.  I doubt there is a way to get him in under the cap but at this point we should all realize that PA regularly pulls off miracles.  

If we don't go deep in the playoffs and he walks this will look like a terrible deal for us, especially if Hunter B really shines.

If we are celebrating the cup win it looks like a minor price.

For me, I have accepted this is what we are doing, all in to go for the cup now.  With this deal I really feel that is now the appropriate thing to do, we have spent a lot of futures to get here already (but surprisingly few given the degree of change on this team).  I would like to see the management group settle down a bit now. 

The chemistry on this team just clicks and they brought in a huge piece in Lindholm.  Luckily we got him early so have more time to incorporate into the room.  I don't want to see what Toronto and NYR did last year and bring in too many changes that disrupted chemistry and couldn't get fully incorporated into the system before the playoffs.

Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle, don't smash the bottle.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, tas said:

it means absolutely nothing without the specific context. how fast is the guy that he's trying to go by skating? what direction is he skating? what is he trying to accomplish? is he the primary puck carrier on his line? does his line spend all their time in the offensive zone?

this shit is meaningless. I unfortunately now have to disregard any hockey opinion you have by default because I know it is utterly baseless. 

no its not... just cause you cant put two and two together doesnt mean... i cant see the forest for the tree's

19 minutes ago, tas said:

I think we all need to wrap our heads around the fairly elementary concept that the other team being happy with a trade doesn't mean we have to be unhappy with it. it's not a zero sum game. 

the canucks got the best piece in exchange for pieces they were comfortable giving up. the flames are happy they got some potential pieces back.

everybody wins. 

Agreed. We need look no further than the Horvat deal as an example of this. The Isles are very happy with Bo and we're very happy with we got out of moving him. Everybody won. 

• Vintage 1

We need to be realistic about Lindholm:  he's a defense-first player whose offensive ceiling is lot closer to Phillip Danault than Pavel Datsyuk.  Don't expect him to provide strong secondary scoring on a line with Petterson, especially if Mik is their winger.  Petey needs another shooter to maximize his value.  Lindholm is not that guy: we're waiting for Lekerimakki.   Maybe Hogs Lindholm Petey can generate some offence together but Mik doesn't have the passing or shooting skills to drive a second line: he's Jannik Hansen overpaid by $2 mil, manos de piedra and I'm not talking the Roberto Duran skillset.  

The most likely outcome is that Lindholm forms a shut-down line with Mik and Suter.  They would be really good in that role.   We'd get our scoring from the Lotto line and the 3rd line.   We need to win the President's Trophy for this to work:  home ice and last change would allow hard-matching this shut-down line against whoever we're targeting.  On the road, such a line would be a lot less effective.

I don't expect us to re-up Lindholm after the season. Allvin and co can't and won't overpay for him given their other priorities.  There's no way he's getting JT Miller money on this team.  So he's a rental and I'm cool with that.  Would love to be wrong about any of this but I doubt I am. 

25 minutes ago, tas said:

do you think you can tell what a Michelin star chef's signature dish tastes like by reading a list of ingredients?

anyways you might as well put me on ignore... youve already shown that this was a complete waste of my time... all you want to do is troll....

so do me a favor and don't, just put me on ignore.... that way the big bad stats dont harm you

7 hours ago, Mc1laren said:

How does Tocchet run the lines? Personally would love to see: 

Lindholm Pettersson Hoglander

Podkolzin Miller Boeser

Joshua Blueger Garland

Mikhayev Suter Lafferty 

If Podz could give us that extra boost going into the playoffs, that would be amazing. 

I don't know how ready he is to jump into a top 6 role on a contending team straight from the ahl

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

We need to be realistic about Lindholm:  he's a defense-first player whose offensive ceiling is lot closer to Phillip Danault than Pavel Datsyuk.  Don't expect him to provide strong secondary scoring on a line with Petterson, especially if Mik is their winger.  Petey needs another shooter to maximize his value.  Lindholm is not that guy: we're waiting for Lekerimakki.   Maybe Hogs Lindholm Petey can generate some offence together but Mik doesn't have the passing or shooting skills to drive a second line: he's Jannik Hansen overpaid by $2 mil, manos de piedra and I'm not talking the Roberto Duran skillset.  

The most likely outcome is that Lindholm forms a shut-down line with Mik and Suter.  They would be really good in that role.   We'd get our scoring from the Lotto line and the 3rd line.   We need to win the President's Trophy for this to work:  home ice and last change would allow hard-matching this shut-down line against whoever we're targeting.  On the road, such a line would be a lot less effective.

I don't expect us to re-up Lindholm after the season. Allvin and co can't and won't overpay for him given their other priorities.  There's no way he's getting JT Miller money on this team.  So he's a rental and I'm cool with that.  Would love to be wrong about any of this but I doubt I am. 

With the dominant play of the Garland led 3rd line, what if Lindholm was brought in to be a shut down 2nd line along with Mik and another player like Suter (a la Kesler line in 2011) while Petey stays with the lotto line? 

Petey Miller Boeser 

Suter Lindholm Mik 

Garland Bleuger Joshua 

Lafferty Aman Hogz 

Hogz than moves up the line as offense is needed? 

We would then find easier matchups for the 649 and Garland line. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1