[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

4 hours ago, tas said:

I literally went out of my way to tell you not to lead with the stats. I wasn't trolling. you said you could provide specific context, I trusted you, you provided literally 0 context. what can I do?

well i did provide you context... i told you exactly what i was looking at....

So most of this is just ******** if that's what you wanna ******* know I use this stuff to quantify people that I don't get a chance to watch... Normally I would never do one on my own team players right because I watched them... But if it was coming down to like a nitty gritty fricking thing between trading one player versus another player I might pull out some stats and just ******* pull something out of my *** I mean hat and whip around some numbers and look all magical to my friends or boss or whoever... I compared brock besser to a few players nathan mckinnon and jt miller which was basically the top two players I could find for scoring and and speed and even strength scoring.... Jt and and and brock are like the best shutdown line in the league right now and it would be a shame if jt miller is not recognized for the selke this year... Anyways here's my report brock is good if you want me to explain the stat I don't know they're kind of self-explanatory probably not...

I watched these games... I watch almost all the Canucks games from first to OT... win or lose...

I tried with you... and i even gave you a little ammo cause i knew right away from the start this was just a friggin troll JOB... Congrats again...

43 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

Ya this is the major concern for me this offseason. Petey and Hronek will get done. But can we keep Joshua and Blueger to deals that make sense. It would suck to lose that third line, but we can't overpay bottom 6 guys. Suter gives us leverage on Blueger. Joshua as a big body will be in demand. Would be nice if we could re-sign both to contracts at or below 2.5m, but don't think I'd go above for either. At that stage would be better to extend a Lindholm and ride the top 6 more.

We also have Zadorov and Myers to replace or re-sign. Both are playing a big role in our success…also DeSmith to figure out.

we have 33mil in cap space next year and a ton of expiring contracts.

Top priorities

Lindholm

Hronek

Pettersson

the blueline

Bottom 6 guys

DeSmith? Or let him walk

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I agree with this. 

94 was truly exciting. Back then, I recently moved to Vancouver that same year. We almost pulled off the impossible.

We had no chance in 82. 94 we weren't supposed to win at all. 2011 we were supposed to win but didn't.

This year feels special. Especially now that we're loading up. I'm all in. 

This city and fanbase deserves to win the Cup after all turmoil and heartbreak. 

Screw waiting any longer! 

Bingo....

Keep saying it over and over again... Gotta strike while the iron is hot...

Any of our star players could get an injury (god forbid), and we witnessed how long it took for Brock to come back properly after hitting the open door.

Or they could just lose form... it happens.

They are all playing well, and if Demmer becomes bubble Demko, we have as big a chance as any, if not bigger.

So let's go and win this thing. Some still worry about the future and rightfully so, but there has to be a middle ground, where we show how much we believe in this team....or not.

If we don't go for it now, what signal does it send to our star players? "We don't think you are good enough, so we wait...?" 

No wonder if they'd rather seek elsewhere or seek the $'s...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

yeah I could almost see the rest of the "analytics community" all slap their foreheads at the same time and go "come on, bro, don't sell us out like that!" since he proudly owned up to the exact thing they all claim not to do. 

Knows how fast the player was skating but has no interest where, who he was up against, where anyone else was on the ice, what kind of shot it was, who was defending and how, or what transpired to lead up to the play.

Why on earth is he/she here commenting on a hockey forum?

Chris Pratt Reaction GIF by sahlooter

Sounds like they would be better served trading stocks or something.

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

The Rome suspension was really deflating too. He was steady on the back end. 

Very true, that hurt.

@spook007 One thing I don't hear mentioned near enough in my opinion was the Bruins players commitment to defence. Not only was Timmy 'shoot em up" Thomas on fire but the players were laying it on the line 110% to defend our high powered offence at all costs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I am very optimistic about this year too but this is just it, until we see how this team plays through adversity(i.e. injuries, bad officiating, heavy physical play etc.) we will not know their potential. 

The one thing I do know is that RT is giving them all the tools to succeed and is preparing them for what they might encounter. 

We have made mental mistakes in the past, we have been pushed around in the playoffs before, we have been on the wrong end of bad calls by the refs before.

RT has watched them make mistakes and then worked on correcting them. They are basically running like a well oiled machine and it is a system that they can continue to use in the playoffs and be successful. 

The one key issue we have in our favor right now is that I believe we have true "Gamers" on this team who are destined to do great things in the playoffs. Hogs, Miller, Demko and Hughes, to name a few, can turn it up and be real difference makers when it counts.

TBH, I can't think of one thing we can complain about this team right now, from the players, coaches, managers right down to the depth in the minors. 

Not only do we have the skill this time but we now have the mental and physical toughness as well as the expertise and experience of people who HAVE WON it before and know what it takes to get there.

Thats just assumption. Until they reach the final, the 2024 can't be said in the same breath as the same as the 2011, even the 1994. Team. Notice how both those teams are the only ones in the debate, and none of the Nonis or Burkes teams? 2024 can't even be compared to those teams because we don't know whats going to happen in the spring. Lets wait till the playoffs until we keep tossing "best team in history" title

4 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Injuries and Tim Thomas is why we lost. We had more powerplays in the series, we had 8 in game 3 and gave up 2 shorties and we had 2 PPs to Bostons 1 in game 7. Enough with the reff bullshit, we lost because of health and poor goaltending.

I hope Demko never has Luongo’s career, I hope its better and he doesnt fall a part like Luongo in the playoffs. 

Don't forget our scoring dried up too from our star players. I think the PP went like 3-35? and Hank only had one PP goal from the 3 of them.

Game 1 - Sedins 0 points

Kessler 1 assist

Game2   Sedins- Daniel 1g 1a

Henrik 0 points

Kessler 0 points

Game 3 Sedins 0 points

Kessler 0 points

Game 4 Sedins 0 points

Kessler 0 points

Game 5  Sedins 0 points

Kessler0 points

Game 6 Sedins Daniel 1a

Henrik 1g (POWER PLAY)

Kessler 0 points

Game 7 Sedins 0 points 

Kessler 0 points

• Sad 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Even Maggie the Monkey could have made one good trade over an 8 year period.  Benning had lots of time to assemble the team that we have right now.  Yes, he drafted Petey and Hughes.  But in order to draft them, we had to be really bad.  It's not a coincidence that Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin completely transformed this team in one year.  They obviously are alot better at GMing than Benning was...

Any idiot is a better GM than Jim Benning. I don't know a GM that leads a team near bottom of the standings for the better part of 8 seasons, and by the end of it, has near bottom of the list in organization prospects, and right up to the ceiling in cap.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

COVID flattened the cap, not Benning. COVID has 100% had the biggest impact on the cap. That is no fault of anyones and contracts handed out prior to that impacted by inflation and the cap never moving to catch up to inflation.

OEL doesnt affect us today, it affects us tomorrow, that was a PA and JR choice to buyout instead of move Myers.

PA signed 2 players to 10.25mil in cap that have underperformed and not produced

This management group has made plenty of their own choices that have impacted their own cap space. However thanks to all these contracts that Pettersson, Demko, Miller, Hughes, Boeser, Garland (Horvat at the time) it has given us plenty of cap space to build this roster to the depth that PA and JR have been able to in a flat and very slowly rising cap climate. This team hasnt lost a single star player to the cap. Edmonton is heading for hell shortly when Draisaitl gets paid his value, Toronto is about to lose a star player, plenty of teams around the league are about start suffering the consequences of COVIDs impact. We dealt with our losses early and no offence to Tanev, Toffoli and Markstrom, they are a lot easier to find and replace.

Sorry but Pearson, Dickinson, OEL, Boeser, Myers, and Garland, added up to over $30 mil. Certainly that impacts the cap Covid or no Covid. We paid dearly to get out of 2 of them and Pearson impacted us until we traded him, regardless of that his contract was good value. That's why new management's hands were tied the last couple of years until the OEL buyout. We're facing steep cap concerns moving forward as well. That's a fact.

For where the team was at we shouldn't have been spending to the cap limit the last 5 years or so. I liked Benning but I didn't like the way he pushed the cap so far with a mediocre team that should have been eyeing the future instead of a Cinderella run.

33 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Just have to make me feel sad on a Fri morning Eh!

Sorry bud...

Here is something to cheer you up... we've got 6 players in the NHL all stars, 

And Quinn Hughes has hit the gym.... needs stronger arms for all the lifting 😎

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

you still going off friend... give me and the thread a break... only a fool like me would get trolled by someone like you

I responded to a guy who responded to me. 

Shush Shhhh GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

well i did provide you context... i told you exactly what i was looking at....

I watched these games... I watch almost all the Canucks games from first to OT... win or lose...

I tried with you... and i even gave you a little ammo cause i knew right away from the start this was just a friggin troll JOB... Congrats again...

I don't think you know what specific or context mean 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea and Tim Thomas was the reason we couldn’t score. He stole a goal a game average in that 7 game series. He was the best player by far and its too bad he couldnt have 1 bad game. 

....but didn't we have a couple of the best players in the league and one of the most potent Power plays at the time? :classic_biggrin:

29 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Knows how fast the player was skating but has no interest where, who he was up against, where anyone else was on the ice, what kind of shot it was, who was defending and how, or what transpired to lead up to the play.

Why on earth is he/she here commenting on a hockey forum?

Chris Pratt Reaction GIF by sahlooter

Sounds like they would be better served trading stocks or something.

I'm told "everything averages out in the end."

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

Thats just assumption. Until they reach the final, the 2024 can't be said in the same breath as the same as the 2011, even the 1994. Team. Notice how both those teams are the only ones in the debate, and none of the Nonis or Burkes teams? 2024 can't even be compared to those teams because we don't know whats going to happen in the spring. Lets wait till the playoffs until we keep tossing "best team in history" title

I know its an assumption, that's why I stated "I believe". 

30 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Bingo....

Keep saying it over and over again... Gotta strike while the iron is hot...

Any of our star players could get an injury (god forbid), and we witnessed how long it took for Brock to come back properly after hitting the open door.

Or they could just lose form... it happens.

They are all playing well, and if Demmer becomes bubble Demko, we have as big a chance as any, if not bigger.

So let's go and win this thing. Some still worry about the future and rightfully so, but there has to be a middle ground, where we show how much we believe in this team....or not.

If we don't go for it now, what signal does it send to our star players? "We don't think you are good enough, so we wait...?" 

No wonder if they'd rather seek elsewhere or seek the $'s...

Great points! Agree with you. Especially the last paragraph with the core.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous after 50 years, and nearly a decade of Benning, that people keep expecting fans to wait another 5+ years, even more, when we're ready to go now!

THIS is what we've been already waiting for with this core! Time is now and thankfully this management knows it and is actively working to make it happen with the addition of Lindholm without giving up our blue chips for the future.

Some fans would have us waiting and waiting and waiting for some magical perfect scenario that may or may not happen when that scenario is right in front of us, that began years and years ago.

It's all happened much sooner than people predicted. That's a good thing! 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Rekker said:

The, "we paid too much for Lindholm" crowd pretty quiet after seeing the price for Monahan.

I just went to look at the trade and was kind of questioning your statement. They only paid a first, and conditional 3rd (2027) right?

However, I forgot to factor in that Montreal's first is worth far more than ours though. They still paid less though I think as we also included Brusty and Kuz.

Meh, it seems fair on both accounts. I do think Monahan is a great pickup though for the Jets.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Very true, that hurt.

@spook007 One thing I don't hear mentioned near enough in my opinion was the Bruins players commitment to defence. Not only was Timmy 'shoot em up" Thomas on fire but the players were laying it on the line 110% to defend our high powered offence at all costs.

True... 

And fair play on the Bruins... they did, what they had to do to win... 

We couldn't play the way we had all season, and failed at the final hurdle...

I was angry at the time, and felt cheated... fact is, we didn't do enough. 

Who knows, if we had battered the shit out of Marchand, if Rome hadn't made a daft play in the middle of the ice (joke of a suspension), if that sweaty pig Julien hadn't had prime time complaining about Canucks players antics, without being challenged on it, while his own team was diving and cheating all over the ice...if and if... if the NHL had wanted the best team in the league to win a cup, and not the Bruins... if and if...

Still think they should have run Thomas, and taken on Chara... They beat us physically... and the rest is history...

17 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm told "everything averages out in the end."

Well yeah it does of course. Watching games is a thing of the past. The new super kids just download quick spreadsheets into their onboard memory chips. You basically watch the entire games in less than a second. Saves a lot of time for the necessities of life like upvoting and downvoting utube, and watching TikTok videos.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Well yeah it does of course. Watching games is a thing of the past. The new super kids just download quick spreadsheets into their onboard memory chips. You basically watch the entire games in less than a second. Saves a lot of time for the necessities of life like upvoting and downvoting utube, and watching TikTok videos.

I'm not even sure why teams bother to employ pro scouting and video departments anymore when pulling up a WAR chart will tell a team everything they need to know about their matchups.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

True... 

And fair play on the Bruins... they did, what they had to do to win... 

We couldn't play the way we had all season, and failed at the final hurdle...

I was angry at the time, and felt cheated... fact is, we didn't do enough. 

Who knows, if we had battered the shit out of Marchand, if Rome hadn't made a daft play in the middle of the ice (joke of a suspension), if that sweaty pig Julien hadn't had prime time complaining about Canucks players antics, without being challenged on it, while his own team was diving and cheating all over the ice...if and if... if the NHL had wanted the best team in the league to win a cup, and not the Bruins... if and if...

Still think they should have run Thomas, and taken on Chara... They beat us physically... and the rest is history...

Yup, we didn't combat what they threw at us. Reminded me of how Florida came up short last year. They couldn't adjust. Not exactly the same but reminiscent.

Didn't Tanner Glass miss a super wide open net at a crucial time too?

• Vintage 1