[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

This trade has got me even more excited and looking forward to play off hockey.

I like that this management team is not afraid to risk a little to try and win it all.

This shows they want to win rather than playing it safe. Hopefully Petey sees this as a positive and considers this in his decision to sign a fair and lengthy contract. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I for one am very happy with the deal. No complaints from Spooshy.

I’d like to see a line with Pettersson - Lindholm - Höglander at some point. And I can see Tocchet trying that out. Thta would be a Silky Smooth Suede line 🙃

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Mc1laren said:

I simply dont like Suter on the 2nd line. Ideally would want him centering the 4th line. 

Any tough as nails LW available that could be had for Raty/Karlsson and a pick? Someone who battles hard, hits like a truck and is defensively sound? Dont care if he doesnt score more than 10 points for the remainder of the season. 

Agreed, Suter has what? 4 goals and 6 points in his last 3 games? Get that crap out of there, I want a guy would puts up 6 points in 30 games! Put the guy with the hot hand on a line where he can sit the most. That's how you win games!!

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Check out this interview of Hunter Brzustewicz after the trade....

At the 30 second mark he says...

"I've always said i think for the past couple weeks that it would be really cool to be part of a trade and obviously it came true"

Definitely sounds like he didnt want to be here.

No loss then, he was going to pull a Fox on us.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

I for one am very happy with the deal. No complaints from Spooshy.

I’d like to see a line with Pettersson - Lindholm - Höglander at some point. And I can see Tocchet trying that out. Thta would be a Silky Smooth Suede line 🙃

The new Ikea line.

Just now, stawns said:

That's not what I took from that.  I got just that it was exciting to be part of something 

There were rumblings from before that he didn't want to be here.

Who knows for sure, but if true, good for Allvin to sell high on him.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I'm not buying that and he's a chl player, not NCAA, he doesn't have that power

Edited by stawns
  • Vintage 1

Heard the same. Apparently they had been trying to sign him and he was digging his feet in. Makes sense really. Best case for the kid is a top 4 offense D, maybe a Barrie ceiling. Realistically likely more a Brad Hunt type player if he hits. Guy needs pp time and offense opportunity, something he would not be getting with Hughes in the lineup.

Hope all the best for the kid, but glad we sold high on him.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not buying that and he's a chl player, not NCAA, he doesn't have that power

he's actually a free agent in Jun 1 2025, so yes, he does have the ability to walk as a UFA. He'd be smart to imo, staying one more year an an over ager would help him build up his defensive game, which he needs. He might be overwhelmed in the AHL right now.

dunno, I see a guy quite happy to have his rights moved. Not sure I see him upset in the least. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Heard the same. Apparently they had been trying to sign him and he was digging his feet in. Makes sense really.

it does. 

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Best case for the kid is a top 4 offense D, maybe a Barrie ceiling. Realistically likely more a Brad Hunt type player if he hits. Guy needs pp time and offense opportunity, something he would not be getting with Hughes in the lineup.

yep, IF its true that he wasn't willing to sign a deal, then you move him while his value might be really inflated. If its not, it doesn't matter if he wasn't going to sign here anyway.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Heard the same. Apparently they had been trying to sign him and he was digging his feet in. Makes sense really. Best case for the kid is a top 4 offense D, maybe a Barrie ceiling. Realistically likely more a Brad Hunt type player if he hits. Guy needs pp time and offense opportunity, something he would not be getting with Hughes in the lineup.

Lots of Rathbone fans learned that player wasn’t an NHLer because he can’t play at all defensively. Bustowitz is the same. He will end up in a Euro league. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Lots of Rathbone fans learned that player wasn’t an NHLer because he can’t play at all defensively. Bustowitz is the same. He will end up in a Euro league. 

yea thats an interesting comp actually. I'd say Brewski appears to have more offensive skill, but less defensive ability than the bone at the same age? hard to say.

Dunno, I don't really care tbh I rarely invest much into prospects outside of the 1st round. All a big crap shoot. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yea thats an interesting comp actually. I'd say Brewski appears to have more offensive skill, but less defensive ability than the bone at the same age? hard to say.

Dunno, I don't really care tbh I rarely invest much into prospects outside of the 1st round. All a big crap shoot. 

And that's it at that point if a career,you either take off and get to the dance,or not.Sime take longer and have a decent career but that's rare.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Brzustewicz's biggest weakness is skating ability. If he could skate like Jack he would have never fell to us in the 3rd round... he probably would have went top 20. Likewise if Rathbone had Brzustewicz's hockey IQ and vision he would be on our second pairing and not Wilks-Barres. Same position different skillets.

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

FWIW, he’s a much better prospect than Rathbone ever was, in pretty much all facets except for skating, not that Brzustewicz is a complete dud in that regard despite his limitations.

Brzustewicz will be a good player. He was a legitimate B+ prospect and a lot of his skills are easily projectable. Unlike Rathbone, he has a high hockey IQ, and that’s what’s going to make him an NHL’er. 

His offensive totals would have you believing he was the 2nd coming of Adam Fox though and I just don’t see that in Brzustewicz. He’s very much a work in progress defensively and he lacks the same puck moving qualities that Fox. Brzustewicz doesn’t really carry play, he’s more of a traditional pass the puck up ice defenseman. Rehkoph, Misaljevic, Mesar etc are the guys he differs the puck to and he picks up a lot of secondary assists, which account for 65% of his total points. That team is also shooting above 20% which is ridiculously high, I mean Rehkoph has as many goals as games played. 

He’s got the makings of a top 4 defenseman, think like Sean Durzi or Neal Pionk. Those guys are #4 defenseman and play the PP. With how our defense is composed, a guy like him is not going to have remotely the same type of opportunities, especially when you have arguably the 2nd best defenseman in the NHL taking up 1:30 of PP time and another top pairing defenseman who takes up the rest of that 30 seconds as well as all situations. 

Edited by Odd.

Yep... they tried to sign him at the same time they signed Mynio. Was a head scratcher it didn't happen. Then he was leading the OHL in scoring for months and nothing happened. Pretty obvious we offered him a contract and fairly obvious he didn't sign it. We could only offer him an ELC so it's not like we didn't offer enough.

Good on PA  and crew for keeping it under wraps and extracting good value.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yikes, isn't that a pretty low bar?

54 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it does. 

yep, IF its true that he wasn't willing to sign a deal, then you move him while his value might be really inflated. If its not, it doesn't matter if he wasn't going to sign here anyway.

Honestly I don’t blame him

He sees Hughes being here long term. He won’t get a sniff on PP1 for a decade 

Glad we sold high and wish him the best 

12 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Yep... they tried to sign him at the same time they signed Mynio. Was a head scratcher it didn't happen. Then he was leading the OHL in scoring for months and nothing happened. Pretty obvious we offered him a contract and fairly obvious he didn't sign it. We could only offer him an ELC so it's not like we didn't offer enough.

Good on PA  and crew for keeping it under wraps and extracting good value.

That's just it and who knows he might not even sign with the flames.

He will get a better opportunity there so might,time will tell.

Canucks don’t need Calgary to lose the trade for them to win. Brzustewicz  doing well would be a good story for the player and Flames.   Maybe makes Vancouver look like a fair team to do business with too.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea lets blow the bank and sell the future for a good run and hope we win in our prime. Lets go full Mike Gillis and fuck the future. Brilliant. You know an offer that parts ways with some of the future for a guy like Eriksson Ek extends our window, where as this pending UFA Lindholm deal shortens it. Upcoming raises for Lindholm, Pettersson, Hronek, 4mil in dead cap during our window to win… fucking brilliant.

You literally have no clue about what you’re talking about. 

Gillis did NOT do remotely enough to bolster our team during our cup window. We kept our 2011, 2012, 2013 late 1st founders as well as Hodgson and Schroeder, traded Hodgson for an equally mid level prospect in Kassian, and then traded for a fading Derek Roy. He traded our 2010 picks to go “bargain hunting” in which he came out with…. Ballard and Booth, two bottom of the list players.

Those late 1st rounders amounted to jack shit when he could’ve used those assets to bolster our team that had won back to back presidents trophies. You don’t keep your middling talent and late 1sts if you’re chasing a championship. The goal is to win now.

Lindholm is likely not re signing with us, that’s another $5.5M of cap we have for the off season. Even if you wanted to re sign him, it’s possible, as we have $40.6M in cap space that will be available after the season ends, with raises to Hronek and Pettersson likely costing $18M. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Screw said:

Canucks don’t need Calgary to lose the trade for them to win. Brzustewicz  doing well would be a good story for the player and Flames.   Maybe makes Vancouver look like a fair team to do business with too.

Good point

And I think Rutherford has that image around the NHL. He deals fair and gets things done. Straight shooter. Allvin is learning from one of the best in the business. 

• Cheers 1