[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

13 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think Vancouver is starting to see incremental buy-in and follow through from Kuzmenko. Not sold on he being the one on the way out.

Unless there is cap created due to injuries or something else in the works I just don't see the team having the cap to add another top tier player. And I'm not too upset about that.

Remember top team in the league, sure there are warts but pretty dangerous club as it stands now.

I honestly haven't seen the issue that people seem to think exists.  He is who he is.......he might not play exactly the game they want him to play, but you can't stifle him either, that's who he is.  

• Cheers 1

Well Kuzmenko turn over puck to Stlouis pressure that leads to a penalty then takes a 4 min double minor has made some poor choices with the puck early on this game… I think Kuzmenko is on his last leg to turn things around and it’s not looking good for the kid sadly cuz I really enjoyed his energy last year 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Captain insano said:

Well Kuzmenko turn over puck to Stlouis pressure that leads to a penalty then takes a 4 min double minor has made some poor choices with the puck early on this game… I think Kuzmenko is on his last leg to turn things around and it’s not looking good for the kid sadly cuz I really enjoyed his energy last year 

Even more sadly, with every game he plays, he's basically reducing the potential return we could get on him.  We'd do better tradewise if he just sat.

30 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Even more sadly, with every game he plays, he's basically reducing the potential return we could get on him.  We'd do better tradewise if he just sat.

He played a pretty good game the other day against Chicago. 

You know, if he were younger, I think management has more patience, maybe even Tocchet. But because the guy is what 27,  I'm not sure if he can change the way he's been playing the game of hockey in those more formative years. If he's traded now, I think it'll be more salary cap dump, more than value. If Allvin and his team can get something out of Kuzmenko, that would be golden. 

I have my doubts, though. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, stawns said:

I honestly haven't seen the issue that people seem to think exists.  He is who he is.......he might not play exactly the game they want him to play, but you can't stifle him either, that's who he is.  

One of the issue is he forces plays that lead to bad turnovers 

last night for example when he was dangling at the blue line and tried to go through the blues player with the puck, this led to a 2 on 1

he basically cant figure out when its ok to take risks or when to make the safe plays. This shouldnt be hard to fix

15 minutes ago, Johnny said:

One of the issue is he forces plays that lead to bad turnovers 

last night for example when he was dangling at the blue line and tried to go through the blues player with the puck, this led to a 2 on 1

he basically cant figure out when its ok to take risks or when to make the safe plays. This shouldnt be hard to fix

RT has done on a number on him, for sure.  I don't really have many issues with RT, but he's got to learn that you have to use different approaches and different tools with different players.  What might work with everyone else clearly doesn't work with Kuz.  Sometimes you also just have to accept a player for who he is and let him be that player

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

RT has done on a number on him, for sure.  I don't really have many issues with RT, but he's got to learn that you have to use different approaches and different tools with different players.  What might work with everyone else clearly doesn't work with Kuz.  Sometimes you also just have to accept a player for who he is and let him be that player

Ya, I'm a big Tocchet fan but he fumbled the Kuz situation. I understand you need to have an even standard across the team. But is it really? Brock has had his issues, Zads, JT. They missed shifts but never the heavy hand Kuz received. Should of been moved to the fourth line as a punishment more than the press box. Not defending Kuz too much because he does have issues. The result now is painful to watch, he's playing scared. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure that I agree with this. It's essentially impossible for a coach to be able to get the best out of every player on the roster. Sometimes, players don't work in systems and that is to be expected. It doesn't mean the team changes its full philosophy so that one player can put up better numbers and risk everything else. 

If anything the problem is likely that the team didn't identify this soon enough and trade him while he had value. But even then, its tough because you want to give the player a chance. 

Hopefully he has some value as teams with a more free flowing offense are able to see that he would succeed with them. 

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Viking said:

IF  these players get charged with some sort of sexual assault are their current contracts all going to be terminated or will they just get a suspension from the league??

Either way, no team is going to touch these with the sort of baggage they will have. Heading to Europe to join Formenton or are teams going to still keep these kids and say they were young and are remorseful for what they did...???

I think if proven guilty on any count ,.

or the FACT is proven that the incident happened would give cause for Teams to void their contracts immediately.

until then,  I beleive they get paid unless there is some kind of out clause for “leave of absence”  ?

20 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Ya, I'm a big Tocchet fan but he fumbled the Kuz situation. I understand you need to have an even standard across the team. But is it really? Brock has had his issues, Zads, JT. They missed shifts but never the heavy hand Kuz received. Should of been moved to the fourth line as a punishment more than the press box. Not defending Kuz too much because he does have issues. The result now is painful to watch, he's playing scared. 

he needs to play his game and he will create the chemistry with his line..   

I think Kuz has been bit by the the “puckluck bug” .. and if you look at last nights game in particular..   you could say the entire team seems to have.

We should seriously be having the puck go in the net far more than it is ,.  The amount of scoring chances, near misses just has me shaking my head some times .

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think Kuz has been bit by the the “puckluck bug” .. and if you look at last nights game in particular..   you could say the entire team seems to have.

We should seriously be having the puck go in the net far more than it is ,.  The amount of scoring chances, near misses just has me shaking my head some times .

Well said. I agree.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

He played a pretty good game the other day against Chicago. 

You know, if he were younger, I think management has more patience, maybe even Tocchet. But because the guy is what 27,  I'm not sure if he can change the way he's been playing the game of hockey in those more formative years. If he's traded now, I think it'll be more salary cap dump, more than value. If Allvin and his team can get something out of Kuzmenko, that would be golden. 

I have my doubts, though. 

28 on February 4th, more than likely he is who/what he is as a player at this point 

At the end of the day we'll have to move sizeable cap out to bring sizeable cap in, we're pretty much capped out 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

That's also old school thinking.  As I pointed out in another discussion, as a teacher, I deal with 28 kids in a class and I can't have a single standard for the whole classroom, I have to differentiate based on who they are, how they respond to different stimuli and boundaries.  His job is to get the best out of each player and he has to modify his style to fit each player.  

Luckily, most players have responded well to similar standards, but he's going to have to change things up with Kuz.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's also old school thinking.  As I pointed out in another discussion, as a teacher, I deal with 28 kids in a class and I can't have a single standard for the whole classroom, I have to differentiate based on who they are, how they respond to different stimuli and boundaries.  His job is to get the best out of each player and he has to modify his style to fit each player.  

Luckily, most players have responded well to similar standards, but he's going to have to change things up with Kuz.

Kuz seems very well liked amongst the team, and if he's producing, the team is better. I'm guessing the team would be fine with some leeway. Very Phil Kessel like situation actually. 

Edited by Rekker

41 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I agree there and he's also been a bit of a victim of other players successes.  One of the things that made him successful last year was he was in front of the net on the pp and he scored a lot of goals on tip ins and easy tap ins.  This year, BB is in that spot and Kuz is relegated to playing down low on the left side, a place he's not going to get many scoring chances on.   I'd like to see a Canucks coach even out the power play units and dispense the time evenly as well.

And, for whatever reason, he and Petey have lost the spark together.........I'd have liked to see Tocchet try him with Miller, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Hughes not mentioning Schenn means he doesn't like him? This isn't high school.  Ridiculous.

The equivalency to assuming someone hates Pizza when they say they want to go out and grab a Calzone. Everyone loves Pizza, you fool.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree there and he's also been a bit of a victim of other players successes.  One of the things that made him successful last year was he was in front of the net on the pp and he scored a lot of goals on tip ins and easy tap ins.  This year, BB is in that spot and Kuz is relegated to playing down low on the left side, a place he's not going to get many scoring chances on.   I'd like to see a Canucks coach even out the power play units and dispense the time evenly as well.

And, for whatever reason, he and Petey have lost the spark together.........I'd have liked to see Tocchet try him with Miller, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

2 guys I'd like to see get a shot on PP1...just to shake it up a bit.

Joshua - as a net front presence, big body, hard on pucks and has some skills in tight.

Hogz - good distributor of the puck, hard on pucks in tight spaces, good shot and seems to have a high hockey IQ.

Would like to see Canucks experiment with either one just to try and shake things up a bit. It might lead to more movement on the PP and get EP, Brock and Miller out what seems like their set positions (or spots). Feels like the PP is becoming a bit predictable.       

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

For sure

and that player doesnt fit on tocchets team and RT needs to do what wins

I really like what this management team has done but Im baffled as to why they kept him around after several benchings and scratches towards the end of last season.

They could have gotten a haul for him in the offseason.

3 minutes ago, Johnny said:

For sure

and that player doesnt fit on tocchets team and RT needs to do what wins

I really like what this management team has done but Im baffled as to why they kept him around after several benchings and scratches towards the end of last season.

They could have gotten a haul for him in the offseason.

I was saying we should sell high on him leading up to last season's trade deadline when it was extremely unlikely we were going to make the playoffs

What could have been 

2 hours ago, Rekker said:

Ya, I'm a big Tocchet fan but he fumbled the Kuz situation.

Kuz fumbled his own situation.

There is no personal responsibility in society anymore...always blame someone else for your own shortcomings. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Kuz sees the ice differently.   Not the same as Gretzky lol,.   But he does look to find his timing on the puck movement to get to the right areas,.  And if he gets in a pinch ,

he tries to create the time with his pin and twirl moves so that a teammate gets into an uncovered position because KuZ usually draws to players to him !

I think it’s something now where Tochett needs to work with Kuz’s strengths ,.  Because shaping and moulding him into a “form” may not work .

Ps ..  I think he becomes a beast in the playoffs !

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 1/23/2024 at 8:07 PM, DeNiro said:

Big gritty Canadian/Americans with beards wins cups.

Its been that way since the beginning.

Except Joe Thornton and Brent Burns! 😆

Edited by Barn Burner

3 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Except Joe Thornton and Brent Burns! 😆

This is true. But they’re still both prime examples of guys you’d want to go to playoff war with.  Kuzmenko on the other hand, I’m not so sure, but hopefully (since he may be untradeable). 

Edited by CaptainCanuck12
  • Cheers 1