[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

7 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Moving any player is always dependant on what the return is. So many crying over Kuzmenko being traded yet Lindholm brings a solution to a big need we have. If we can solve another by moving a Podkolzin i am not against that. 

Maybe, but I'm hoping Pods sticks around. Good reports out of Abby and he may well a good add from within, post deadline. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Maybe, but I'm hoping Pods sticks around. Good reports out of Abby and he may well a good add from within, post deadline. 

Not disagreeing with you but management has said they want Podz to cook in Abby this season. My guess is Karlsson and Bains will still outrank him in the call up order this year as they presumably really want (and need) Podz to pop in the NHL next year.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Not disagreeing with you but management has said they want Podz to cook in Abby this season. My guess is Karlsson and Bains will still outrank him in the call up order this year as they presumably really want (and need) Podz to pop in the NHL next year.

Would love to see what Bains and Podz can do on call-ups before the TDL.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

He definitely would not say that to the world lol no sir no how no way…
Cbs No GIF by HULU

Neither JR or PA have said that Lindholm is a backup plan in any interviews I've heard.

EP is a RFA so there's no risk of loss of EP outside of an offer sheet and that is probably only if a team is willing to risk 4 1sts for EP. The most annoying thing for EPs contract status is probably the aspect of certainty, primarily with cap structure. 

• Cheers 1

I really hope this trade doesn't put too much pressure on the team to win now. Coming into the season we were a crap team, no one gave us odds of even making the playoffs and then we lead the league most of the way. You could say that going into the playoffs, we'd already exceeded expectations so would have been happy with anything. Now 40-50 games in and we've jumped that hurdle, which most teams spend a good 2-3 years in, and are going straight for the cup in one trade. I hope this added pressure isn't too much for our young stars but we'll soon find out. The burden of knowing we just lost 4 decent pieces for one run could certainly weigh on some heads.

53 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

We have a ton of cap space this off season, could easily sign Lindy if they prioritize him over the UFAs.

I would personally look at signing lindy and moving brock out in the summer (this would of course depend on lindy performance this year) for a young top 4 on a cheap contract or futures that can get you that. If you take personal attachment out of the equation it's a pretty obvious choice, a 30 goal winger for a 30 goal former selke nominee center plus a nice piece for the future.

As I said it depends on the fit, there are obviously other pieces that can move out to make it work as well. Selling brock at his 40ish goal peak would be maximum value for sure.

They don't have much when you consider they either re-sign Myers or find a top 4 replacement 

35 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

this is very likey the outcome we will see... good take

28 minutes ago, Provost said:

PA literally said that in an interview adter the trade.

He wants to spend a couple weeks or so seeing how things shake out adding Lindholm and then they will review things.

That makes sense.  A few pundits said it earlier and I know I’ve heard it a few times.  

Though, right from the horses’ mouth is obviously the best source!

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I really hope this trade doesn't put too much pressure on the team to win now. Coming into the season we were a crap team, no one gave us odds of even making the playoffs and then we lead the league most of the way. You could say that going into the playoffs, we'd already exceeded expectations so would have been happy with anything. Now 40-50 games in and we've jumped that hurdle, which most teams spend a good 2-3 years in, and are going straight for the cup in one trade. I hope this added pressure isn't too much for our young stars but we'll soon find out. The burden of knowing we just lost 4 decent pieces for one run could certainly weigh on some heads.

I see it not as pressure but as a reward and a vote of confidence that we are now a contender and management will do what they can to support their winning ways. Its the right thing to do. They are not delicate flowers that wilt in bright light or they shouldn’t be in the NHL. FFS they went into MSG in front of a hostile, rowdy crowd and spanked them.

Edited by steviewonder20
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I see it not as pressure but as a reward and a vote of confidence that we are now a contender and management will do what they can to support their winning ways. Its the right thing to do. They are not delicate flowers that wilt in bright light or they shouldn’t be in the NHL. FFS they went into MSG in front of a hostile, rowdy crowd and spanked them.

Oh, I definitely see it as pressure.  But, that doesn't mean it's bad

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Moving any player is always dependant on what the return is. So many crying over Kuzmenko being traded yet Lindholm brings a solution to a big need we have. If we can solve another by moving a Podkolzin i am not against that. 

Who was crying over Kuzmenko being traded? I think everyone is universally happy for him and knows there was no path forward for him in Tocchets system.

39 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The burden of knowing we just lost 4 decent pieces for one run could certainly weigh on some heads.

When did that happen?

I wouldn't call Jurmo, a 4th or dumping Kuzmenko's cap a decent piece. Hunter B refused to sign a contract with us so although you can call him a decent piece I'm not going to lose sleep over that one. The 1st round pick is going to be extremely late in a draft that drops off well before, the chances of that pick becoming am impact player is probably less than 10 percent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I want Bjugstad. Good enough to play a complementary role in the top 6, good size, solid 2 way play, another RH'd C option, C depth in case of injuries... And he's on a reasonable deal for another year and would be a built in replacement for 3C next year, assuming Blueger goes on to greener ($$$) pastures.

Mik, Pettersson, Lindholm

Bjugstad, Miller, Boeser

Joshua, Blueger, Garland

Hoglander, Suter, Lafferty

Aman

Bjugstad would be an interesting acquisition. I remember when everyone wanted him as part of a return in a Luongo trade. It seems injuries started to derail his career a few years ago but he's starting to bounce back now.

I wonder what he would cost? Maybe next year's 2nd. However, Arizona is actually trying be be competitive now so they might want a roster player or close to ready prospect back as part of a return.

If we're going to try dealing with Arizona I would check in on the cost of Crouse first though. Who knows, maybe something like Mikheyev + 2nd would be enough for him (likely not, but worth checking).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This trade was a win now move. Great teams aren't afraid of pressure, they lean into it. 

Yep. If this trade causes one of our core players to crack under pressure we should probably consider trading them for someone who won't. I'm mostly just hoping for at least making the 2nd round though since this group is still pretty inexperienced when it comes to playoffs. They certainly have potential for a deep run however.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

I have to agree with (Sat? Drance? Someone anyways..) who basically said PA will likely stand pat for awhile to see what the team looks like with Lindholm. 

Can’t see them rushing another trade right away.  This was a team already playing really well… they made one big move for a key piece, moving out the one guy who was in the doghouse.  

If we do anything else I’d say it’s a deadline move for some depth if anything.

I suspect PA wants Soucy back in the line up for a number of games before the TDL. 3 - 5 weeks with his hand and next week is 3 weeks. Hope he is early. I am curious if Suter bumps Mik down to the 4th line? Suter-Lindholm-Petey sounds interesting. Still think Hogs should get some PP 2 time. 

Just now, Curmudgeon said:

I did not know this. What is your source for this information?

Ask yourself this... do you really think the Canucks never offered him a contract?

Dahliwhal said back in September when young and mynio were signed that the Canucks were working on brzustewicz (was on donnie and dhali I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole for a link). 

It's painfully obvious with them signing the dman who went after him. Then he blows up leading the league in points and still nothing is announced. Then after the trade he told a podcast "I've always said i think for the past couple weeks that it would be really cool to be part of a trade and obviously it came true".

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Neither JR or PA have said that Lindholm is a backup plan in any interviews I've heard.

EP is a RFA so there's no risk of loss of EP outside of an offer sheet and that is probably only if a team is willing to risk 4 1sts for EP. The most annoying thing for EPs contract status is probably the aspect of certainty, primarily with cap structure. 

Let's play a game.

image.png.b18cc8c1d6f99f35d7c1dc46b18c9be4.png

Arizona, Chicago or Detroit come along and offer sheet Petey $13.5M x 7 AAV.

Do you match or take the 4 firsts?  ... This assumes Petey signs the offer sheet.

Assuming Petey pulls a few more 100+ pts over next few seasons and then declines to 90, 80, 60 by thr time he is 32/33 .. what would you do?

Doing the above puts him in fairly elite company as not many players have done that in the history of the NHL https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_players_with_100-point_seasons#:~:text=Gretzky also holds the record of 13 consecutive 100-point seasons.

On this one am a bit torn. Paying that much takes away from other areas such bottom 6 and 3rd pairing. On the other hand if he is the only one on the Canucks paid more (a lot more) than JT Miller, then perhaps can be navigated.

On the other hand, I would bet that of the 8 1st rounders Canucks would have they could land another player close to Petey or at least two (or three) bona-fide NHLers with at least one being a high impact player ... with PA / JR at the helm over those drafts.

If offers sheeted for that muck  I would bank on picking up another impact player and in the meantime get two players for that price range that would keep the competitive window open for the Canucks ... and especially if they win the cup this year. 

Sign Lindholm for JT type money and pick up a player while the 8 1st round draft picks percolate us another superstar (betting on the odds here)

Edited by Rocket-68

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

Who was crying over Kuzmenko being traded? I think everyone is universally happy for him and knows there was no path forward for him in Tocchets system.

lots on social media. I always remember if Gretzky can be traded anyone can be traded it just depends on the return

• chaos 1

On 2/3/2024 at 9:06 AM, Bob Long said:

he's actually a free agent in Jun 1 2025, so yes, he does have the ability to walk as a UFA. He'd be smart to imo, staying one more year an an over ager would help him build up his defensive game, which he needs. He might be overwhelmed in the AHL right now.

dunno, I see a guy quite happy to have his rights moved. Not sure I see him upset in the least. 

Maybe he's just chill with the fact that he's doing well in the OHL and has prospects of being in the NHL. He doesn't really have a need to be completely attached to one team or another at this point. Maybe he just likes being part of an NHL organization and doesn't look too much beyond that at this point, which I think's a perfectly valid way of looking at things.

Seems like there's too much of trying to "read between the lines" and looking for a reason to let him go mentally even when that shouldn't be needed. Either way, it doesn't seem fair to HB in my opinion.

• Vintage 1