[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

1 minute ago, Coryberg said:

@The Lock @Gawdzukes

This tweet is from October 15th, a month after they originally tried to sign him.

Screenshot_20240204_205755_X.jpg

Thank you. That is what I was asking for.

I hope you at least understand where I'm coming from when I'm asking for proof. I'm not just saying no to things. I just want to see proof before I believe something. This at least shows that we might have not been able to sign HB anyway.

Before this, I had no way of really believing it other than if you interpret a single statement in a certain way... which, in a courtroom, wouldn't do well. lol

54 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I hope you at least understand where I'm coming from when I'm asking for proof. I'm not just saying no to things. I just want to see proof before I believe something. This at least shows that we might have not been able to sign HB anyway.

Before this, I had no way of really believing it other than if you interpret a single statement in a certain way... which, in a courtroom, wouldn't do well. lol

Yeah I knew I heard dahli say something in September, that's why I was so adamant about it. I really didn't have time to search for the proof but in the end it was a lot easier than bickering.

It's all small potatoes when you look at the big picture. We got great value for what was a 3rd round pick 7 months ago. Textbook case of pick the BPA and you can always move them for what you need in the future.

Will be interesting to see if he signs with Calgary, even though they are our rivals I would hate to see the kid pull a fox 2.0 on them.

• Cheers 1

Yeah I knew I heard dahli say something in September, that's why I was so adamant about it. I really didn't have time to search for the proof but in the end it was a lot easier than bickering.

It's all small potatoes when you look at the big picture. We got great value for what was a 3rd round pick 7 months ago. Textbook case of pick the BPA and you can always move them for what you need in the future.

That's a good way to view it, bpa is the way to go.

Will be interesting to see if he signs with Calgary, even though they are our rivals I would hate to see the kid pull a fox 2.0 on them.

I do want to see that, it would be hilarious.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Anyway. .......whether he tried to sign or wanted out, I bet the canickx felt he wasn't going to transfer his skillset to the NHL as well as many thought.  

I think it was a bit of that, a lot of wanting Lindholm and some of the likelihood Hronek+Willander will be taking RD1 and RD2 until 2030 or longer. Not to mention PP1 is Quinns as long as he is here. 

• Cheers 1

On 1/31/2024 at 10:47 PM, Billabong said:

Canucks have 2m-ish in cap space to spend on probably 1 more significant piece so who’s it gonna be?

unless it’s tanev I don’t see the Canucks really having a “need” on D to really prioritize over adding a scoring winger which is something they still need

In no particular order here’s a list of candidate's

guentzel

toffoli 🥰

tarasenko 

Vatrano 

olofsson

duclair 

monohan 

eberle

Henrique

roslovic

I want TnT = Toffoli and Tanev

4 minutes ago, Life of a Canuck said:

I want TnT = Toffoli and Tanev

Well Toffoli is in the final year of his contract and playing for a Devils team under the playoff line.

The question I'd have is how would we get both Tanev and Toffoli when the 2 of them combined is going to cost around 8.5mil in cap space? Would it be Mikeyev and Myers? Would the other teams even want to accept that back? Seems like we'd have to pay a little more if it's the other teams doing us favours and where's the point where it starts coting too much just to bring back a couple of former Canucks?

On 1/31/2024 at 11:47 PM, Googlie said:

Why Calgary traded with Vancouver  ...

Yup…

Savvy experienced trade by Canucks, with a rookie GM.

Craig Conroy had the right idea of his asking price.

1. A roster player✔️

2. A First round pick✔️

3. A top prospect ✔️

4. A promising possible prospect.

5. the rest= Smoke and mirrors

I am certain the Canucks selected a package of players that fulfilled this criteria with the advantage of knowing who they would be willing to part with, and with also with knowing which players have inflated perceived value to maximize leverage to meet the minimum required to make this deal happen.

1. To me, the biggest loss was Kuzmenko (Only because I am a fan of this person.) Not necessarily the player. This is business, and right hockey decision.✔️

2. LOSING THE DRAFT PICK….Really a 2nd rounder

3. Losing prospect Brz(Fantastic at his current level, but possibly tops out at this level. Doubtful to make the NHL? ) I trust Canuck brass with their selections and offering to fulfill Craig Conroys requirements. They did their homework on a perceived acceptable pkg.

4. The rest -assets that were uber long shots to make it, or were not going to be re-signed possibly anyway.

• Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well Toffoli is in the final year of his contract and playing for a Devils team under the playoff line.

The question I'd have is how would we get both Tanev and Toffoli when the 2 of them combined is going to cost around 8.5mil in cap space? Would it be Mikeyev and Myers? Would the other teams even want to accept that back? Seems like we'd have to pay a little more if it's the other teams doing us favours and where's the point where it starts coting too much just to bring back a couple of former Canucks?

I don't expect any other major moves. I think it's important to realize that even without the trade of Lindholm this team was already very good. 1st in the entire league. Too many additions could really hurt that dressing room, and the right mix on the roster. So I think from here on out, management wants to see how they play (Tuesday against the Hurricanes and on this road trip), and if they need to make further minor tweaks, particularly to the backend. Playoffs are going to be a grind, right. Lots of physical play with the whistles being put away. They'll need depth for sure on the backend. Hopefully the forwards can remain relatively healthy. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I hope you found peace of mind.

17 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't expect any other major moves. I think it's important to realize that even without the trade of Lindholm this team was already very good. 1st in the entire league. Too many additions could really hurt that dressing room, and the right mix on the roster. So I think from here on out, management wants to see how they play (Tuesday against the Hurricanes and on this road trip), and if they need to make further minor tweaks, particularly to the backend. Playoffs are going to be a grind, right. Lots of physical play with the whistles being put away. They'll need depth for sure on the backend. Hopefully the forwards can remain relatively healthy. 

I think one more will come.Left wing.Maybe plus dept defense man.

On 2/1/2024 at 11:11 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is #96 a jinxed number?

Bure went from 10 to 96, then changed back because he struggled under that number.

Kuzmenko had one good year in #96. Then next year he gets traded?

And the only other player to wear 96? Adam Gaudette.

Yes!!! I agree, man.

I had a pare of underwear i wore in high-school that had a hand written 96 on it. It was supposed to really be 69, but my dyslexic girl friend goofed when she wrote the number. The long story short is the day after she wrote the number, I got jock itch wearing this very pare of under-wear. 🤩😭🤪🙀😅😂🤣😂😎

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Life of a Canuck said:

Yes!!! I agree, man.

I had a pare of underwear i wore in high-school that had a hand written 96 on it. It was supposed to really be 69, but my dyslexic girl friend goofed when she wrote the number. The long story short is the day after she wrote the number, I got jock itch wearing this very pare of under-wear. 🤩😭🤪🙀😅😂🤣😂😎

I'm glad I provided you with amusement. Hope you got fast actin' Tinactin!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, stawns said:

Kind of my story too.  I had a small one a couple days before that wasnt detected by a cscan when I went to ER.  So when the big one hit i kind of thought it was an inner ear vertigo kind of thing.  It was a soild4 hours of not knowing up from down and puking.  But given the cscan I thought I was ok.

All things considered I got lucky, im functioning pretty well and my brain is working well......my speech is slow and sounds like I'm drunk

Feels like I both lost and won on the same lottery ticket 

You seem to young to have that happen. Get well fellow Nucker.

• Huggy Bear 1

8 hours ago, Coryberg said:

can you imagine how much film Canucks watched on Brez before they decided to move him? 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

can you imagine how much film Canucks watched on Brez before they decided to move him? 

We moved one negative asset (Kap Dump Kuzzy) two highly unlikely nhl prospects, a tiny magic bean, and a very late first for Calgary’s all star, Selke level, first line, right shot centre. 

Even the Empties could not have predicted this kind of thievery!!!

• ThereItIs 1

43 minutes ago, Rekker said:

You seem to young to have that happen. Get well fellow Nucker.

That's what the doc said, 52 and in seemingly good health......decent shape, not overweight, don't drink, dont smoke, eat pretty healthy.........stuff happens I guess

Edited by stawns
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 3

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Every team in the league can still improve somewhere, but by far our biggest need was a top 6 rhc. 

We could still improve via waivers for some depth, teams making moves might put some decent players on there. 

9 hours ago, Coryberg said:

I think it was a bit of that, a lot of wanting Lindholm and some of the likelihood Hronek+Willander will be taking RD1 and RD2 until 2030 or longer. Not to mention PP1 is Quinns as long as he is here. 

It was exactly that. Across Benning and Allvin+Rutherford, the Canucks have managed to build their defence core for the future. 

Brzustewicz is an offensive defenceman. Hughes will lead that role for the next decade. Not to mention Hronek is also fully capable of quarterbacking a powerplay and Willander is expected to fill out the rest of the right side on defence. 

Given all that, you might as well sell high on Brzustewicz while he's being hyped up because of his crazy stat line so far in his draft+1 year. 

This isn't a slight on Brzustewicz, he can very well become Calgary's future powerplay quarterback - he fills a positional need for them. And that is a big reason why this deal was a win-win for both teams. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

11 hours ago, stawns said:

Anyway. .......whether he tried to sign or wanted out, I bet the canickx felt he wasn't going to transfer his skillset to the NHL as well as many thought.  

I wonder in trades that involve non first round pick juniors (lesser known talents that maybe hadn’t been scouted at all by the receiving team) does the receiving team mostly rely on stat lines and a game or two look?

at least the first rounders have lots of eyes on them and professional players play 3-4 times a week