[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

17 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Mr Bean Waiting GIF by Bombay Softwares

If there's a big splash, it'll happen next month.  I don't think JR/PA like to wait until the TDL which I'm happy about because prices at the TDL are stupidly inflated.

Analyst Suggests Penguins Part Ways With Sidney Crosby

With a future that remains unclear, there is belief the Pittsburgh Penguins should move on from Sidney Crosby.

PITTSBURGH – Not even a year into his tenure as president and general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Kyle Dubas is already walking a tightrope with the team. It’s up to Dubas to construct a Penguins team that can not only fight for a Stanley Cup now, but also remain competitive in the final years of Sidney Crosby’s career.

As the 2023-24 season rages on, the Penguins are struggling to remain in the playoff picture and the questions surrounding the legitimacy of the team are becoming more frequent. With Jake Guentzel nearing the end of his contract and Crosby playing some of the best hockey of his career at an advanced age, what is Dubas to do?

TSN analyst Bryan Hayes believes it’s time for the Penguins to let go of Crosby and let him be a monster player with another team.

“Get Sidney Crosby out of Pittsburgh,” Hayes said on TSN. “Follow in the footsteps of Tom Brady.”

Hayes said he ‘pleading’ for the Penguins to send Crosby to greener pastures as he is still a top talent in the NHL, but the team around him isn’t giving him any kind of help.

“He will always be remembered as a Penguin,” Hayes said. “It’s him and Mario Lemieux. The two greatest Penguins of all time. He’s given everything he possibly could to that franchise. That franchise is no longer repaying him.”

While this is far from the first time someone has suggested the Penguins find a way to move Crosby, it’s still extremely unlikely it happens. Crosby has a full no-move clause and is not going to waive it any time soon. Insiders around the Penguins also believe he’s sticking around through thick and thin.

It is fair to say that the Penguins should do right by their captain if they don’t have Cup ambitions and allow him the opportunity to compete, but with him on the roster, they are still a threat. At 36-years-old, Crosby is putting himself square in the middle of the MVP discussion, he just needs the rest of his team to follow his lead and find a consistent level of play.

Hayes again alluded to Brady in the way he left the New England Patriots and won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to cement himself as the greatest quarterback of all time.

“If he follows in the footsteps of Brady,” Hayes said. “Goes somewhere else, wins a Cup, is competitive… that is going to make the case for him to get into the top five all time.”

The Penguins recently made the decision to keep core members like Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang around through the end of their careers. That was the old front office regime, however, and Dubas might swing in a different direction if this team doesn’t pull themselves out of the basement.

Make sure you bookmark Inside the Penguins for the latest news, exclusive interviews, breakdowns and so much more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If there's a big splash, it'll happen next month.  I don't think JR/PA like to wait until the TDL which I'm happy about because prices at the TDL are stupidly inflated.

I think it will be sooner. I’m sure they are working the phones as we speak. The All Star break will also allow a lot of time for managers to focus on trades and less on the day to day operations of the team. 

2 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

With a future that remains unclear, there is belief the Pittsburgh Penguins should move on from Sidney Crosby.

PITTSBURGH – Not even a year into his tenure as president and general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Kyle Dubas is already walking a tightrope with the team. It’s up to Dubas to construct a Penguins team that can not only fight for a Stanley Cup now, but also remain competitive in the final years of Sidney Crosby’s career.

As the 2023-24 season rages on, the Penguins are struggling to remain in the playoff picture and the questions surrounding the legitimacy of the team are becoming more frequent. With Jake Guentzel nearing the end of his contract and Crosby playing some of the best hockey of his career at an advanced age, what is Dubas to do?

TSN analyst Bryan Hayes believes it’s time for the Penguins to let go of Crosby and let him be a monster player with another team.

“Get Sidney Crosby out of Pittsburgh,” Hayes said on TSN. “Follow in the footsteps of Tom Brady.”

Hayes said he ‘pleading’ for the Penguins to send Crosby to greener pastures as he is still a top talent in the NHL, but the team around him isn’t giving him any kind of help.

“He will always be remembered as a Penguin,” Hayes said. “It’s him and Mario Lemieux. The two greatest Penguins of all time. He’s given everything he possibly could to that franchise. That franchise is no longer repaying him.”

While this is far from the first time someone has suggested the Penguins find a way to move Crosby, it’s still extremely unlikely it happens. Crosby has a full no-move clause and is not going to waive it any time soon. Insiders around the Penguins also believe he’s sticking around through thick and thin.

It is fair to say that the Penguins should do right by their captain if they don’t have Cup ambitions and allow him the opportunity to compete, but with him on the roster, they are still a threat. At 36-years-old, Crosby is putting himself square in the middle of the MVP discussion, he just needs the rest of his team to follow his lead and find a consistent level of play.

Hayes again alluded to Brady in the way he left the New England Patriots and won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to cement himself as the greatest quarterback of all time.

“If he follows in the footsteps of Brady,” Hayes said. “Goes somewhere else, wins a Cup, is competitive… that is going to make the case for him to get into the top five all time.”

The Penguins recently made the decision to keep core members like Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang around through the end of their careers. That was the old front office regime, however, and Dubas might swing in a different direction if this team doesn’t pull themselves out of the basement.

Make sure you bookmark Inside the Penguins for the latest news, exclusive interviews, breakdowns and so much more.

We should go after him. I’ll give up the next 3 or 4 first round picks for this guy and ask them to retain half of Crosby’s salary and get them to also take Kuzy or Mik. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

That's also old school thinking.  As I pointed out in another discussion, as a teacher, I deal with 28 kids in a class and I can't have a single standard for the whole classroom, I have to differentiate based on who they are, how they respond to different stimuli and boundaries.  His job is to get the best out of each player and he has to modify his style to fit each player.  

Luckily, most players have responded well to similar standards, but he's going to have to change things up with Kuz.

We’re not talking about students here

we’re talking about multi million dollar professional athletes that play for a business

11 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Come win a Stanley Cup where you scored the Golden Goal and add to your already impressive legacy.  

Your Buddies Rick Tocchet, Patrick Allvin, Rutherford, Gonchar, DeSmith, Lafferty, Cole & Friedman are all here. It'll be a reunion of sorts.   

You can always sign a 1 day contract and retire a Penguin...Wouldn't hurt our feelings at all. LOL    

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I was saying we should sell high on him leading up to last season's trade deadline when it was extremely unlikely we were going to make the playoffs

What could have been 

I guess there was still the question mark on Boeser

22 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Bryan Hayes can blow all the smoke he wants, it's doubtful Crosby ever plays for a team that isn't the Penguins 

Dubas didn't bring in Karlsson to help them rebuild 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mac said:

Kuz fumbled his own situation.

There is no personal responsibility in society anymore...always blame someone else for your own shortcomings. 

I agree with the societal statement, one of my pet peeves. However, a coaches job is to work with the players shortcomings, it's literally what a coach is. Of course Kuz takes most of the blame, but it doesn't mean that Tochett has done a great job with the Kuz situation. I have the benefit of hindsite, but not all players learn the same way and it's literally the coaches job to figure what makes each individual player tick, and what motivates them to learn.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Johnny said:

We’re not talking about students here

we’re talking about multi million dollar professional athletes that play for a business

same shit, different pile.  I've been a coach, I've been a teacher, it's the exact same thing........managing personalities

Just now, Rekker said:

I agree with the societal statement, one of my pet peeves. However, a coaches job is to work with the players shortcomings, it's literally what a coach is. Of course Kuz takes most of the blame, but it doesn't mean that Tochett has done a great job with the Kuz situation. I have the benefit of hindsite, but not all players learn the same way and it's literally the coaches job to figure what makes each individual player tick, and what motivates them to learn.

I want to say, I agree about Kuz and my comments about Tocchet aren't meant to absolve Kuz from his responsibily.  But RT is the one that has to manage him and find the things that work for him.  

17 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Come win a Stanley Cup where you scored the Golden Goal and add to your already impressive legacy.  

Your Buddies Rick Tocchet, Patrick Allvin, Rutherford, Gonchar, DeSmith, Lafferty, Cole & Friedman are all here. It'll be a reunion of sorts.   

You can always sign a 1 day contract and retire a Penguin...Wouldn't hurt our feelings at all. LOL    

SUPER, SUPER unlikely to happen, but I'd absolutely LOVE adding Crosby to the Canucks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

https://thecanuckway.com/posts/report-quinn-hughes-encourages-canucks-trade-for-chris-tanev-01hmzcmfhqb8

Do we give up a first straight up for Tanev with enough retained to get him to fit cap-wise (like 1M and Soucy on LTIR)? Could maybe re-sign him for 3M next year to replace Myers on our bottom pairing even in which case it'd be very much worth it.

I'd do it. I know we could use a top-6 scorer but Soucy is injured a lot and having that extra defensive depth would go a long way.

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Tanev
Zadorov - Myers

Soucy

That's one tough, deep defence for the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I want to say, I agree about Kuz and my comments about Tocchet aren't meant to absolve Kuz from his responsibily.  But RT is the one that has to manage him and find the things that work for him.  

Of course. I don't think any of us put any blame solely on coach. We have the advantage of hindsite, but one needs to only look at the results and wonder if it could of been handled differently. It's something I'm big on personally. If something hasn't gone right for me, I ask myself what could I have done differently. I also think we all want Kuz to figure it out as do his teammates. He's an easy fellow to cheer for. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

https://thecanuckway.com/posts/report-quinn-hughes-encourages-canucks-trade-for-chris-tanev-01hmzcmfhqb8

Do we give up a first straight up for Tanev with enough retained to get him to fit cap-wise (like 1M and Soucy on LTIR)? Could maybe re-sign him for 3M next year to replace Myers on our bottom pairing even in which case it'd be very much worth it.

I'd do it. I know we could use a top-6 scorer but Soucy is injured a lot and having that extra defensive depth would go a long way.

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Tanev
Zadorov - Myers

Soucy

That's one tough, deep defence for the playoffs.

I'm not for it. Aquiring Tanev is up for debate, but the Canucks need a top legit top six acquisition to take another step. I'd sooner spend bullets there, see what's left in the chamber after that. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Captain insano said:

Well Kuzmenko turn over puck to Stlouis pressure that leads to a penalty then takes a 4 min double minor has made some poor choices with the puck early on this game… I think Kuzmenko is on his last leg to turn things around and it’s not looking good for the kid sadly cuz I really enjoyed his energy last year 

I have to say he has been improving his overall game and away from the puck and showing more confidence with the puck. He is trending in the right direction. This team has zero pressure to trade him or not continue to work with him. Sure he may be the obvious player to look towards when wanting to free up cap but I don't think Vancouver will pay any assets to move him. It would be poor asset management to trade him when his perceived value is low. We have time to be patient here. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Bryan Hayes can blow all the smoke he wants, it's doubtful Crosby ever plays for a team that isn't the Penguins 

But his plan to win a cup is going south real quick and their age/contract situation is lookin ugly

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

SUPER, SUPER unlikely to happen, but I'd absolutely LOVE adding Crosby to the Canucks.

Agreed it's vey unlikely, one can dream though...

Gretzky was traded, Ray Bourque and so on...you always assume they can't or won't be traded but sometimes shit happens. 

Let's not forget we're talking about Kyle Dubas so anything is possible LOL  They'd do whatever Crosby wants though, so it's probably like wishing on a star.  

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

But his plan to win a cup is going south real quick and their age/contract situation is lookin ugly

He's won three, it's hard to imagine any of Malkin, Crosby, and Letang playing anywhere else considering what they've collectively accomplished 

Pens fans have been spoiled, they're still spoiled getting to watch all-time hockey greats in the twilight of their careers 

Dubas was hired, like any other GM he'll be fired, that trio transcends the importance of any Penguins GM 

Edited by Coconuts

28 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dubas thought he could get the Pens another Cup but failed to realize how age has set in on his top guns. Karlsson was a mistake. This is a team that won’t even make the playoffs and will likely continue to be even worse next season.

They can’t add either as they are right up at the Cap and have no high end prospects or picks. They have continually mortgaged their future year after year going for Cup runs. That has caught up to them. 

Dubois should sell while Crosby still is worth something. I’m sure Crosby wouldn’t being traded to a contender like us. 

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

Dubas thought he could get the Pens another Cup but failed to realize how age has set in on his top guns. Karlsson was a mistake. This is a team that won’t even make the playoffs and will likely continue to be even worse next season.

They can’t add either as they are right up at the Cap and have no high end prospects or picks. They have continually mortgaged their future year after year going for Cup runs. That has caught up to them. 

Dubois should sell while Crosby still is worth something. I’m sure Crosby wouldn’t being traded to a contender like us. 

They got three cups out of it, as a franchise who's last two cups came back in the early 90's. They knew what they were doing. They got three cups out of the Crosby/Malkin/Letang era and it's not over yet, if that'd happened to us as Canucks fans we'd be over the moon. 

Crosby's still worth something to the Penguins, he's arguably top 2 all-time in terms of importance after Lemiux. It's either him or Jagr. 

Crosby's spent most of his career making 8.7M as a Penguin when he very likely could have commanded more, he'll almost certainly sign another deal and ride off into the sunset with Malkin and Letang. He's won everything there is to win, he has nothing left to prove. I doubt he'd be interested in leaving the Pens at this stage in his career for any team, regardless of how competitive that team is how how on the cusp of the playoffs Pittsburgh may be.

Acquiring Crosby is a pipe dream for any team not named team Canada. 

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They got three cups out of it, as a franchise who's last two cups came back in the early 90's. They knew what they were doing. They got three cups out of the Crosby/Malkin/Letang era and it's not over yet, if that'd happened to us as Canucks fans we'd be over the moon. 

Crosby's still worth something to the Penguins, he's arguably top 2 all-time in terms of importance after Lemiux. It's either him or Jagr. 

Crosby's spent most of his career making 8.7M as a Penguin when he very likely could have commanded more, he'll almost certainly sign another deal and ride off into the sunset with Malkin and Letang. He's won everything there is to win, he has nothing left to prove. I doubt he'd be interested in leaving the Pens at this stage in his career for any team, regardless of how competitive that team is how how on the cusp of the playoffs Pittsburgh may be.

Acquiring Crosby is a pipe dream for any team not named team Canada. 

Since it's all speculation on what he will or won't do, he could easily be the type of character leader that sees the writing on the wall and wants to help his team out by gaining some future assets for their future, all while getting another crack or two at a cup. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's won three, it's hard to imagine any of Malkin, Crosby, and Letang playing anywhere else considering what they've collectively accomplished 

Pens fans have been spoiled, they're still spoiled getting to watch all-time hockey greats in the twilight of their careers 

Dubas was hired, like any other GM he'll be fired, that trio transcends the importance of any Penguins GM 

Crosby doesnt strike me as the guy who is satisfied with 3 cups. He wants to keep winning…. Now that doesnt mean he would want to leave Shittsburgh, but the writing is on the walls. If Guentzel gets moved its clear they are taking a step backwards. If thats the case then Crosby is going to have to be prepared to kiss his chances of one final cup goodbye. The organization needs to rebuild at some point, it doesnt appear that they have much in the prospect pipe line and they are held together by a 30+ club. Dubas thought Karlsson would put them over the top, but it would only give hope for a very short window, that short window has already begun closing. Crosby is an asset that would net a fairly good return to help retool sooner than later. But Crosby doesnt strike me as the type to want to leave either…. 

37 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I have to say he has been improving his overall game and away from the puck and showing more confidence with the puck. He is trending in the right direction. This team has zero pressure to trade him or not continue to work with him. Sure he may be the obvious player to look towards when wanting to free up cap but I don't think Vancouver will pay any assets to move him. It would be poor asset management to trade him when his perceived value is low. We have time to be patient here. 

There would be return on him still, maybe not one you would like but it won’t cost to sell him, he’s 27 coming off a near 40 goal campaign.. I disagree last game was a trend backwards for him, if Canucks weren’t chasing the game he wouldn’t of played at all after the 2nd, I like Kuzmenko I’m just in reality land here… he does not fit the system and doesn’t seem to be getting it either, 1st place team missing a line driver and he’s the obvious cap out, writing is on the wall!