[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

50 minutes ago, CurtFraser24 said:

“It's just an adjustment, right?” Zadorov said, having experienced the same transition 2 ½ months ago when he also moved from Calgary to Vancouver. “You've got to find a place. New atmosphere, new teammates, new everything. We are routine people, right? We do the same stuff every day for 11 years, so it's important for us to be in that routine. That's when you feel super comfortable. It took me a long time. Some people adjust quicker. He's got friends, a kid, wife, dogs -- it's all combined. I think there's still a lot of time until playoffs. He will adjust and he is going to be at his best for sure.”

How good?

“You will see,” Zadorov said. “I mean, he's been our top player in Calgary the last three years. He's an unreal centreman. I put him in the same category as (Alex) Barkov and (Sean) Couturier. When he's really good, he's in the same category as Patrice Bergeron — those Selke centreman who can play both ways. He is a great teammate. He can play anything. He's a horse; he can play 25 minutes a night. It was huge trade for us and I was super excited when it happened.”

Through six games, Lindholm has four goals and an assist for the Canucks. Imagine what he might do once he gets more comfortable.

Agree with big Z, some folks need to give Lindholm some time. He's only played 6 games.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How would their even be anyone complaining at this point?

He has 4 goals in 6 games, is winning faceoffs, and is a big addition to the pk. What more were people expecting exactly? 😂

Exactly. He’s been great. People expected a flashy player. That’s not Lindy he’s a solid smart player who capitalizes on turn overs caused by being hard to play against. And that shot last night was beautiful! 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Agree with big Z, some folks need to give Lindholm some time. He's only played 6 games.

It is one of the biggest advantages of trading for him early.  He has more time to develop chemistry with his new team vs the players who are acquired on deadline day.

It's pretty simple logic and it is explained every single year.  People just CHOOSE to be whiners.  It's on them quite frankly.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How would there even be anyone complaining at this point?

He has 4 goals in 6 games, is winning faceoffs, and is a big addition to the pk. What more were people expecting exactly? 😂

It would be nice if he played goal 🙈

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Baratheon said:

It is one of the biggest advantages of trading for him early.  He has more time to develop chemistry with his new team vs the players who are acquired on deadline day.

It's pretty simple logic and it is explained every single year.  People just CHOOSE to be whiners.  It's on them quite frankly.

12 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

To be fair, I'm happy that Kuz is doing well for Calgary. He seems to make Huberdeau look better. Sometimes an elite player can look like a plug with the wrong linemates.

this trade is a win/win.

not everything is a zero sum game

19 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Kuz seems to be falling in Calgary.

Great deal now if he stays in the third or fourth line even if we don't resign Lindy.

Lindholm and Kuz seem to be coming down to earth. I don't hate the trade. It sucks to see them both struggling to make a difference.

19 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Kuz seems to be falling in Calgary.

Great deal now if he stays in the third or fourth line even if we don't resign Lindy.

If the deal was only for Kuzmenko, then Lindholm would be a fantastic rental. However, I think we gave up way too many futures for him to be a rental and it would really hurt us.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

If the deal was only for Kuzmenko, then Lindholm would be a fantastic rental. However, I think we gave up way too many futures for him to be a rental and it would really hurt us.

As of right now, I wouldn't say the assets given up would really hurt us. It hurts the depth for sure, but the main giveaways were the 1st (which is likely to be a later 1st), and Hunter (who was going to be a bit stuck on the depth chart).

Lindholm is likely still adjusting, and I can see this upcoming homestand really helping with that. The fact that he's a right handed C that is winning the majority of his draws + is defensively responsible is also huge. We haven't had that since Kesler, and we saw how important he was in that playoff run.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ngoway said:

As of right now, I wouldn't say the assets given up would really hurt us. It hurts the depth for sure, but the main giveaways were the 1st (which is likely to be a later 1st), and Hunter (who was going to be a bit stuck on the depth chart).

Lindholm is likely still adjusting, and I can see this upcoming homestand really helping with that. The fact that he's a right handed C that is winning the majority of his draws + is defensively responsible is also huge. We haven't had that since Kesler, and we saw how important he was in that playoff run.

I'm definitely excited to see how Lindholm does after some real practice time to learn the team systems better. And absolutely, having a right-handed C is a major benefit.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

For help in 3 to 5 years????

The first sucks as you never know what the first will be I agree.But other players we have up isn't bad at all.

Doubtful they will ever see an NHL game.

27 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

For help in 3 to 5 years????

The first sucks as you never know what the first will be I agree.But other players we have up isn't bad at all.

Doubtful they will ever see an NHL game.

If we don't win the cup this year, those assets that will help in 3-5 years still matter. The best teams know how to build for continued success and competitiveness. The worst thing is to be a one-and-done team that flames out early. While we haven't given up the entire farm, Brzustewicz was one of our top 5 prospects and he along with the 1st and likely 3rd does start to strip the organizational depth so I think it's important that it wasn't for a player that will only be here 3 months (unless that player very clearly pushes the team over the top).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

If we don't win the cup this year, those assets that will help in 3-5 years still matter. The best teams know how to build for continued success and competitiveness. The worst thing is to be a one-and-done team that flames out early. While we haven't given up the entire farm, Brzustewicz was one of our top 5 prospects and he along with the 1st and likely 3rd does start to strip the organizational depth so I think it's important that it wasn't for a player that will only be here 3 months (unless that player very clearly pushes the team over the top).

It was a fair price for a rental.    We got the best one available this year (and last year traded away the best one).    Kuzmenko was given every opportunity to gel with Tochett, it's too bad it didn't work out.    Lindholm, we can re-sign him, maybe we should, maybe we shouldn't.    Still too early to criticize this deal one way or the other - most teams don't win a cup without paying.   Or become contenders without paying too.    St. Louis included, with the O'Reilly trade.    Teams entering that phase in their cycle, where everyone gets paid, and has term.  Core that is. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

It was a fair price for a rental.    We got the best one available this year (and last year traded away the best one).    Kuzmenko was given every opportunity to gel with Tochett, it's too bad it didn't work out.    Lindholm, we can re-sign him, maybe we should, maybe we shouldn't.    Still too early to criticize this deal one way or the other - most teams don't win a cup without paying.   Or become contenders without paying too.    St. Louis included, with the O'Reilly trade.    Teams entering that phase in their cycle, where everyone gets paid, and has term.  Core that is. 

I wasn't trying to make a conclusion on the trade just yet. I agree it's too early to criticize. My initial post was a rebuttal to Kuzmenko being demoted on Calgary automatically means we won the trade. I was just trying to point out that the other pieces we gave up weren't insignificant.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/22/2024 at 8:36 PM, northern lights said:

Bit surprised that Hunter Bru didn't crack top 50 drafted players outside of the NHL. 

Even with those OHL stats, no way he's better than top AHL players.  His numbers look fantastic but I read an article that made me feel a bit better about the trade.....it said that most of his points were secondary assists on a very good OHL team.  I haven't fact checked that, so I'll take it as face value right now.