[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

The Kuz trade had to happen for both sides.  Sad because I liked him and I was hoping he would return to form like Boeser did.  I like the Lindholm trade, but I'm nervous about the off-season.  If he signs for a reasonable price and the team can keep the key parts together, I'm very happy.  If he walks or creates a massive anchor for us contract-wise, I'm very unhappy.  He hasn't moved the needle for this team yet (we're losing more but not because of him), but I'm not disappointed so far.  

Looking forward to seeing what a rested Canucks team with a stretch of home games will look like.  I'm not worried in the meantime.

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

The Kuz trade had to happen for both sides.  Sad because I liked him and I was hoping he would return to form like Boeser did.  I like the Lindholm trade, but I'm nervous about the off-season.  If he signs for a reasonable price and the team can keep the key parts together, I'm very happy.  If he walks or creates a massive anchor for us contract-wise, I'm very unhappy.  He hasn't moved the needle for this team yet (we're losing more but not because of him), but I'm not disappointed so far.  

Looking forward to seeing what a rested Canucks team with a stretch of home games will look like.  I'm not worried in the meantime.

Plus the remaining road games are California and Alberta plus a stop in each of Arizona and Winnipeg. Schedule is improving after a brutal two plus weeks. 

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I'm worried that Lindholm walks in the off-season. What then? Back to square one in terms of finding that second line centre. Or Petey slots back in there. But he's been playing wing for a while now. 

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm worried that Lindholm walks in the off-season. What then? Back to square one in terms of finding that second line centre. Or Petey slots back in there. But he's been playing wing for a while now. 

There is always a financial reason for a player to move on to a better situation. I don’t begrudge such decisions. The other consideration is achieving the height of your profession by winning a CUP. How much extra money makes moving on worth it? Lindholm will have to decide. Stay in Van and maybe win a Cup or move on. Petey might help with his decision if he resigns.

• MillerTime 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Unless they are unable to sign Petterson, Lindholm is absolutely going to sign somewhere else.   Unless they are able to move some money around…

Still a good trade. It got the Canucks cap space for this year, and next year, which is a huge need for the team as OEL’s cap hit will wipe out any raise in the overall salary cap. 

I’m hoping the team can do some damage this year, and seriously push for a Stanley Cup. Unlikely, but you never know. 

Seems to me with all the UFA’s on the team, that next year’s team will look quite different, and will be taking a step back.

This will never be a good trade unless we win the cup. It is looking even worse now on our recent slide. Giving up Bryz and a 1st should have netted us a player on a good deal that could have helped us for the next 2-3 seasons. Similar to JT Miller when we acquired him.

14 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

This will never be a good trade unless we win the cup. It is looking even worse now on our recent slide. Giving up Bryz and a 1st should have netted us a player on a good deal that could have helped us for the next 2-3 seasons. Similar to JT Miller when we acquired him.

JT was acquired in late June just before free agency when Tampa was trying to dump cap. The 1st round pick we gave up could had much more value since we were a bad team.

Lindy was mid season and we dumped cap. The pick we gave up is guaranteed to be 22+ in a shallow draft.

Brzustewicz isn't viewed around the league in the same light that a lot of straight up point counters see him. He doesn't have NHL speed or defensive awareness, these can theoretically be improved through a lot of hard work but he is very much a project.

Even if we let lindy walk we can use the 5.5 million to "net us a player on a good deal that could have helped us for the next 2-3 seasons".

Edited by Coryberg
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

JT was acquired in late June just before free agency when Tampa was trying to dump cap. The 1st round pick we gave up could had much more value since we were a bad team.

Lindy was mid season and we dumped cap. The pick we gave up is guaranteed to be 22+ in a shallow draft.

Brzustewicz isn't viewed around the league in the same light that a lot of straight up point counters see him. He doesn't have NHL speed or defensive awareness, these can theoretically be improved through a lot of hard work but he is very much a project.

Even if we let lindy walk we can use the 5.5 million to "net us a player on a good deal that could have helped us for the next 2-3 seasons".

What is your point? The trades didn't take place under perfectly analagous situations so the underlying comparable is compeltely invalid?

We literally just drafted Hunter B in the 3rd round of the last draft. If he's such a fringe prospect then why did we bother with that pick in the first place. By all accounts his torrid pace this season has increased his value to at least a 2nd round pick, maybe higher.

Patting management on the head for spending a 1st and 3rd on a rental and a "cap dump" that was resigned less than a year ago is not something I will partake in. If they can figure out how to get Lindy resigned whilst retaining (or trading away in good deals) the rest of the key pieces on this team then I will tip my hat. I am not holding my breath.

Edited by Sell.the.team
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

What is your point?

The point is the sky isn't falling chicken little. This trade isn't doom and gloom under either circumstance, it's also not a huge haul to have given up.

Trying to compare this trade to the JT Millier deal is ridiculous at best. They are at completely different stages of the season, completely different circumstances and completely different assets.

38 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

We literally just drafted Hunter B in the 3rd round of the last draft. If he's such a fringe prospect then why did we bother with that pick in the first place.

The 3rd round is exactly where you draft boom or bust projects, thats also why he fell to the 3rd round. But dont take my word for it...32 teams agreed.

• Cheers 1

People need to remember Hunter B is doing what he's doing at 19yo in the OHL.

Zayne Parekh is 17yo and 1 point behind Hunter on a worse team.  Even then he's only ranked 9th or 10th in a weaker draft class.

Hunter B wasn't even ranked in the top 50 of nhl affiliated prospects by Button (who I respect a lot for prospect rankings).

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Mac said:

If lindholm does not start playing a lot better, they should not resign him.

That's a nice bonus to getting him early. Give him a good runway to settle in and see if he can thrive in our system. Past examples of the opposite is trading for Sutter/Dickinson and signing them long term before they even took a shift. 

Even if he has a good stretch/playoff run not re-signing him might be a better play if we can spend those funds more efficiently. On the other hand if Petey doesn't re-sign at seasons end we could extend Lindy and then trade Petey for good young players and blue chips. Lots of flexibility, much more than having Kuzmenko's 5.5 mil rotting on the cap.

Edited by Coryberg
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Coryberg said:

That's a nice bonus to getting him early. Give him a good runway to settle in and see if he can thrive in our system. Past examples of the opposite is trading for Sutter/Dickinson and signing them long term before they even took a shift. 

Even if he has a good stretch/playoff run not re-signing him might be a better play if we can spend those funds more efficiently. On the other hand if Petey doesn't re-sign at seasons end we could extend Lindy and then trade Petey for good young players and blue chips. Lots of flexibility, much more than having Kuzmenko's 5.5 mil rotting on the cap.

Agree with all of this.

I would be supportive of trading petey if he thinks he is worth $12m per.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Kuzmenko was out with sickness tonight, but has anyone noticed he's starting to get shuffled around and losing playing time?  He played on just about every line the other day and got benched during a tight 3rd period against Boston - finishing with a TOI of only 10:25.  He comes as advertised - Flames fans knew they were getting an electric goal-scorer who had some real defensive concerns and lost favour with the coach as a result of it.  Now, Huska has done a really solid job helping the struggling players get it together - Huberdeau and Sharangovich have improved tremendously over the months.

Just like with Lindholm here, I'm sure the transition will take just a bit more time.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:56 PM, N4ZZY said:

If Lindholm walks, it will be disappointing.  But with that said, at least there's money freed up by losing Kuz's contract.

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

If Lindholm walks, it will be disappointing.  But with that said, at least there's money freed up by losing Kuz's contract.

That's it really. Rentals are expensive but at least we shed cap. 

I do think that an extension is possible tho. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

True, I think the Canucks gave up a lot more than what Lindholm is probably worth if he was still with Calgary by the trade deadline.

However if the asking price for the Lindholm extension is unreasonable? I would rather he walks. It hurts but, at the very lead, the team has freed up the cap space of Kuzmenko.  

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

True, I think the Canucks gave up a lot more than what Lindholm is probably worth if he was still with Calgary by the trade deadline.

Seravelli has went on record to say he thinks that Nic Dowd (yes that Nic Dowd) with get a 1st round pick by the deadline. Rumors are that Philly wants a 1st for Sean "cap dump 6 months ago" Walker.

This market is ridiculous, I'd say it was par for the course at worst considering we got him at game 49 instead of 69

Edited by Coryberg

Kuzmenko might have had an indirect effect on the Flames. Just having a positive guy around probably did wonders for Huberdeau and the other struggling Flames players. They’ve seemed to turn it around in the last little while. Currently 7-3-0 in the last 10 games. 

The Canucks are way better off in the present with having Lindholm in the lineup instead of a struggling Kuzmenko. Lindholm adds that extra depth you need in the playoffs and gives us 4 true top 6 forwards. We would be much better if we had 1 more good top 6 winger instead of Mikheyev almost 5 million cap hit. If we can trade him somehow for an immediate help that would do wonders for this team I think. Our lines are good, but we just lack that depth factor in true top 6 players. Suter/Hoglander are good options for 1 of the 2 positions.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Seravelli has went on record to say he thinks that Nic Dowd (yes that Nic Dowd) with get a 1st round pick by the deadline. Rumors are that Philly wants a 1st for Sean "cap dump 6 months ago" Walker.

This market is ridiculous, I'd say it was par for the course at worst considering we got him at game 49 instead of 69

Toronto doesn’t want to deal their 1rst and I’ve heard NYR putting Othmann and Perreault as untouchable. These prices will have to come down.

Only been 11 games but dreadful statline for Lindholm, despite looking quite good defensively on the ice and making some chances here and there. He looks great, makes so many high IQ plays, but he's scoring under 0.5PPG and has a stinky -5 on our team. For the season including the Flames he's scoring at around a 50pt pace and a solid minus. 

He's a decent 2nd line center, no more than that, but that scoring puts him in the 3C category across the league, you can't deny it. All these claims of him being worth 8M is a joke. Defensively sound or not, in what world does a 50pt center get 8M? I'd use Bo Horvat as a decent comparable, he's over 8M but is scoring just under a PPG and somehow is an even +/- despite playing on a garbage team. Lindholm is far from Bo right now, and he cannot get paid for a once-off 40G season he had playing with two stars.

Surely we'll wait until the season's over to consider signings and I'm sure some dumb team will offer him big bucks but if someone signs Lindholm to an 8M contract that'll be the next Eriksson/Huberdeau/Kadri anchor to ruin a team. 50 points and solid two-way play should get you 6M. That's a second line center at best. 

• Cheers 1