[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

18 hours ago, Bob Long said:

That's it really. Rentals are expensive but at least we shed cap. 

I do think that an extension is possible tho. 

Not if Lindholm's asking for the reported 9M. 

With the way he's playing right now - what's he worth? 6-7M? 

On 2/23/2024 at 11:03 AM, Diamonds said:

If the deal was only for Kuzmenko, then Lindholm would be a fantastic rental. However, I think we gave up way too many futures for him to be a rental and it would really hurt us.

Yes. I think we definitely paid too much for Lindholm (in hindsight), but no one has a crystal ball. There's no way of knowing if a deal will work out.

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Only been 11 games but dreadful statline for Lindholm, despite looking quite good defensively on the ice and making some chances here and there. He looks great, makes so many high IQ plays, but he's scoring under 0.5PPG and has a stinky -5 on our team. For the season including the Flames he's scoring at around a 50pt pace and a solid minus. 

He's a decent 2nd line center, no more than that, but that scoring puts him in the 3C category across the league, you can't deny it. All these claims of him being worth 8M is a joke. Defensively sound or not, in what world does a 50pt center get 8M? I'd use Bo Horvat as a decent comparable, he's over 8M but is scoring just under a PPG and somehow is an even +/- despite playing on a garbage team. Lindholm is far from Bo right now, and he cannot get paid for a once-off 40G season he had playing with two stars.

Surely we'll wait until the season's over to consider signings and I'm sure some dumb team will offer him big bucks but if someone signs Lindholm to an 8M contract that'll be the next Eriksson/Huberdeau/Kadri anchor to ruin a team. 50 points and solid two-way play should get you 6M. That's a second line center at best. 

That is a really good point. And I think our opinions of Lindholm will have to change over the course of time.

16 minutes ago, BPA said:

Lindholm got his best year with his all star wingers.  Kinda like Morrison with Nasland and Bertuzzi.  Lindholm is worth about $7M.  So unfortunately, he may not re-sign.

I wonder if he may go with a one year extension here. A little cheaper and maybe get his value back up and hit free agency the following year. 

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

I wonder if he may go with a one year extension here. A little cheaper and maybe get his value back up and hit free agency the following year. 

Yeah this would work for both teams. Him and his agent surely can't be happy with how he's playing now. I think we see this one year deal a lot lately (eg. Blueger, I think was it Monahan as well?) as a "show-me" type deal and what better opportunity than with the Canucks? 1 year at 6M would work quite well - that's essentially just Kuzmenko's money.

We could probably even afford 7M if we let Blueger walk but obviously that's a big hit to our depth.

If it's between keeping Blueger + Joshua + Lafferty vs Lindholm, things get tricky...

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Yes. I think we definitely paid too much for Lindholm (in hindsight), but no one has a crystal ball. There's no way of knowing if a deal will work out.

Too much as in....

A late first in a draft that drops off after 20?

Or maybe it was adding Jurmo?

No, it has to be the 4th round pick keeping you up at night!

Ahhh has to be that you miss kuzzys 5.5 million in dead weight looming on next years cap.

Edited by Coryberg
  • Cheers 1

I have no idea what Lindy's contract value will be to the Canuck's management.  I just want to

clarify what his stats look like during the past 5yrs, since he signed with the Flames at 23yrs.

His 4th season (42goals-82pt), is an anomaly, but at the very least shows offensive potential.

Not including that season, the other 4 seasons show that he has stats are fairly consistent.

287 games - 97g-156a-243pts.  Nearing a point per game overall.  *2 seasons were cut

short due to Covid.

This season, he continued to put up similar points 49games-9g-23a-32pts despite missing

9 games.   So far, Lindholm is not putting up his usual points in Vancouver, but he is likely

going through an adjustment period, what with learning a new system and playing with

different linemates on a regular basis.

In summary, I would say that Lindy is considered a solid 2-way 2C on a contending team.

He can play hard minutes, PP, PK and is good at faceoffs.  In the past 5 seasons, he has

he has only missed 11 games (9 for this season).

His past stats indicate that he may continue his average (give or take) 80-24-39-60pt

with 2nd line teammates.  His next contract should account for his age (30) and the

possibility of a slow departure from his previous stats.

My guess is that the Canucks will wait to see how he performs in the final season games

and the playoffs to determine Lindy's value to the team.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Sophomore slump?

Cheechoo v2?

Feel for Kuzmenko as he's a likeable personality. 

Tough to say.  Kuz looked electric in a few games I saw live last year.  Could be as simple as getting a better summer routine ala Brock last year.

6 hours ago, Lewlowned said:

I believe he was sick for the Battle of Alberta, which is why he didn't play. 

Calgary fans seem to like him a lot and think he has been a good addition.

More like the coach is sick of watching Kuz Missile turn pucks over in high danger areas while playing a soft game. Kuz was a cap dumperoo of 5.5 mil for the rest of this season and all of next. The cost for that was a first and a third. We pretty much got Lindholm for a couple craperolla B/C level prospects. Great trade by Allvin. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

More like the coach is sick of watching Kuz Missile turn pucks over in high danger areas while playing a soft game. Kuz was a cap dumperoo of 5.5 mil for the rest of this season and all of next. The cost for that was a first and a third. We pretty much got Lindholm for a couple craperolla B/C level prospects. Great trade by Allvin. 

I think that's still one factor completely overlooked by some folks. Cap space is extremely valuable. It's what landed us Zadorov.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

I think that's still one factor completely overlooked by some folks. Cap space is extremely valuable. It's what landed us Zadorov.

Yup. We have very shrewd management. They clearly have a plan and know how to implement it perfectly. Getting Lindholm was a fantastic move. And they were able to dumperoo a problem contract in the process. Brilliant. 

• Cheers 1

I’ve actually really liked Lindholm.  I wouldn’t give him 9 mil… but unless he wants to get his bag on a bottom feeder I doubt he’s getting that on a contender. 

I’ve loved the faceoff and two way ability - what a boon to Petey and Miller - and assuming he ups the offence a touch as he settles, I hope we bring him back for around 7.5-8 mil.  Great option to run him on the wing in the top 6, as a 3C, or a 2C if we want to go lotto line.

It’s luxury zone, though. Need to take care of Petey and the back end first.  Lots of cards to fall this offseason.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 3

23 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Too much as in....

A late first in a draft that drops off after 20?

Or maybe it was adding Jurmo?

No, it has to be the 4th round pick keeping you up at night!

Ahhh has to be that you miss kuzzys 5.5 million in dead weight looming on next years cap.

Hunter B is a pretty decent price and yes, the 1st rounder is expensive since you're already paying out with Kuzzy.

My point with this is that Lindholm started out great, but he's somewhat disappeared over these games. As DeNiro said, it's only been 11 games, but he needs to be a difference maker.

I guess I would've preferred the 1st rounder go to a defender.

2 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Hunter B is a pretty decent price and yes, the 1st rounder is expensive since you're already paying out with Kuzzy.

My point with this is that Lindholm started out great, but he's somewhat disappeared over these games. As DeNiro said, it's only been 11 games, but he needs to be a difference maker.

I guess I would've preferred the 1st rounder go to a defender.

I understand this feeling and shared it myself for the offseason and into this one.

But when I really think about it, the D has been very good this year. To the point where I think we’d be happy to simply bring them all back (or with a minor change or two) if we can make the cap work. 

There’s room to improve for sure, but we’re at the point where that improvement would come at a very high cost.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Lewlowned said:

I believe he was sick for the Battle of Alberta, which is why he didn't play. 

Calgary fans seem to like him a lot and think he has been a good addition.

not sure what a major virus is.  Hope he gets better soon. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, The Duke said:

I’ve actually really liked Lindholm.  I wouldn’t give him 9 mil… but unless he wants to get his bag on a bottom feeder I doubt he’s getting that on a contender. 

I’ve loved the faceoff and two way ability - what a boon to Petey and Miller - and assuming he ups the offence a touch as he settles, I hope we bring him back for around 7.5-8 mil.  Great option to run him on the wing in the top 6, as a 3C, or a 2C if we want to go lotto line.

It’s luxury zone, though. Need to take care of Petey and the back end first.  Lots of cards to fall this offseason.

100% agree. Once we resign Petey..then resign/sign our 24/25 D, the next priority is Lindholm. The ability to have 3 1/2Cs on a team is ridiculous in terms of the flexibility it offers. I have enjoyed Bluegers play, but Suter would be fine as 4th C.

• Cheers 1