[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

19 hours ago, Mac said:

This is one of current management's worst trades. 

We gave up a lot for what appears to be a mediocre player.

Of course I hope to eat crow if he actually starts playing really good hockey in the playoffs. I just won't hold my breath.

People were saying the same about the Miller trade the first 15-30 games, I won't crown anything this soon. 

• MillerTime 1

I think the miscalculation by management was Lindholm's unwillingness/inability to play RW with EP.

Lindholm was described by basically everyone as a very versatile player, but just hasn't hit that way so far and doesn't appear to be trending towards that versatility either. Can't entirely blame management for the miscalculation but it was a miss.

Notwithstanding this miss, I do like the idea of rolling Miller-EP-Lindholm-Blueger as our C depth though, but the concern is our winger depth in this situation and the fact management ultimately decided not to add another scoring winger at the TDL.

We could see a shift in Lindholm's production when Joshua is healthy as I think there's a reasonable chance that a line of Joshua-Lindholm-Garland will be given a chance. This may free up Podz to move to another line and hopefully start producing points.

The big question mark for me ultimately is if EP can get things going with Hoglander and Suter. The Canucks really need EP's line to generate more consistent pressure which should create more scoring chances and goals. Maybe the Canucks try Lindholm with EP again but I get the feeling that they're more or less convinced that won't work.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think the miscalculation by management was Lindholm's unwillingness/inability to play RW with EP.

Lindholm was described by basically everyone as a very versatile player, but just hasn't hit that way so far and doesn't appear to be trending towards that versatility either. Can't entirely blame management for the miscalculation but it was a miss.

Notwithstanding this miss, I do like the idea of rolling Miller-EP-Lindholm-Blueger as our C depth though, but the concern is our winger depth in this situation and the fact management ultimately decided not to add another scoring winger at the TDL.

We could see a shift in Lindholm's production when Joshua is healthy as I think there's a reasonable chance that a line of Joshua-Lindholm-Garland will be given a chance. This may free up Podz to move to another line and hopefully start producing points.

The big question mark for me ultimately is if EP can get things going with Hoglander and Suter. The Canucks really need EP's line to generate more consistent pressure which should create more scoring chances and goals. Maybe the Canucks try Lindholm with EP again but I get the feeling that they're more or less convinced that won't work.

I think the other miscalculation was not to add a winger weeks before the deadline. EP40 needs another guy who can produce. Still holding out some hope that Guentzel is signed by management here. Scoring winger is exactly what Petey needs. Suter is okay, and Höglander while admirable, isn't on the same level as Guentzel type of player. 

Instead of Lindholm playing wing, why don't they get Petey to play wing, and Lindholm can centre that line? 

7 hours ago, Combover said:

But wished we picked up a decent winger for the top six first. 

Yeah, me too. That area doesn't look good as we move into the postseason. 

7 hours ago, Combover said:

Still like Lindy and hope he can be resigned although it doesn’t look good. 

But wished we picked up a decent winger for the top six first. 

I think we should probably give up the idea that Lindholm's going to resign here. 

He's probably looking for a huge payday, and his play doesn't seem to warrant that. I'd be weary of signing him to a huge contract, or else that could be our next Loui Ericsson moment yet again

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the other miscalculation was not to add a winger weeks before the deadline. EP40 needs another guy who can produce. Still holding out some hope that Guentzel is signed by management here. Scoring winger is exactly what Petey needs. Suter is okay, and Höglander while admirable, isn't on the same level as Guentzel type of player. 

Instead of Lindholm playing wing, why don't they get Petey to play wing, and Lindholm can centre that line? 

I agree that management may have miscalculated about the need for a winger, but I guess part of that was also the issue of price and opportunity since many of the "cheap" acquisitions at the TDL didn't involve retention (e.g. Zucker). We may disagree on this but if the Guentzel deal required trading Hoglander, then I agree with management refusing to do that for what would probably have been a pure rental.

As far as EP playing on wing, I've thought of that too but I suspect the concern with playing EP on Lindholm's wing is that EP is more effective at C. Even on the Lotto line, Miller might generally take faceoffs (EP is much better at FO's now) but he seemed to shift to the wing during play rather than EP.

Playing EP on Lindholm's wing would probably also mean that Suter would move back to C. He hasn't been bad in that role, but that would probably mean he would be with Lafferty, Podz, PDG, etc (he's the true and quite literal Swiss Army Knife on this roster) unless coaching wants to keep Blueger in that role instead of being with Garland (and Joshua when he's healthy). I know Garland was with EP last night but I'm thinking he'll be reunited with Joshua once the latter is healthy.

55 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I agree that management may have miscalculated about the need for a winger, but I guess part of that was also the issue of price and opportunity since many of the "cheap" acquisitions at the TDL didn't involve retention (e.g. Zucker). We may disagree on this but if the Guentzel deal required trading Hoglander, then I agree with management refusing to do that for what would probably have been a pure rental.

As far as EP playing on wing, I've thought of that too but I suspect the concern with playing EP on Lindholm's wing is that EP is more effective at C. Even on the Lotto line, Miller might generally take faceoffs (EP is much better at FO's now) but he seemed to shift to the wing during play rather than EP.

Playing EP on Lindholm's wing would probably also mean that Suter would move back to C. He hasn't been bad in that role, but that would probably mean he would be with Lafferty, Podz, PDG, etc (he's the true and quite literal Swiss Army Knife on this roster) unless coaching wants to keep Blueger in that role instead of being with Garland (and Joshua when he's healthy). I know Garland was with EP last night but I'm thinking he'll be reunited with Joshua once the latter is healthy.

Yeah, I'd refused to move Höglander for a pure rental in Guentzel, which is why I said that I'm holding out some hope that we can pursue him during the off-season. Maybe he'd be willing to come out west to play with the Petey/Miller as his centres? 

I wonder if you move Petey to 1C, and move Miller to 2C, and put Lindholm on his wing? I mean, Miller and Brock got Mik his first goal in 30 plus games. So if they can get him going, then maybe they can get Lindholm going offensively? If Lindholm feels better playing C, then maybe get him to play 2C, and move Miller to the wing since he can play there better than both Lindholm and Petey. 

• 2 weeks later...

Kuzmenko now scoring at a 30 goal pace with the Flames. Lindholm scoring at a 30 point pace with the Canucks and is now injured. Flames winning in the short term of a rental trade is wild and of course they'll win long term with all the futures we gave up. Is this one of the worst trades in our history? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Kuzmenko now scoring at a 30 goal pace with the Flames. Lindholm scoring at a 30 point pace with the Canucks and is now injured. Flames winning in the short term of a rental trade is wild and of course they'll win long term with all the futures we gave up. Is this one of the worst trades in our history? 

It'll be awesome to watch Kuzy in the playoffs.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

And Brzustewicz become the next Adam Fox.  (I’m assuming you’re talking about next year when Kuzy scores 40+, 90+ points…)

That's correct. Brewski gonna light us up for a decade.

28 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

And Brzustewicz become the next Adam Fox.  (I’m assuming you’re talking about next year when Kuzy scores 40+, 90+ points…)

Bustowitz ain’t an NHL level player. Cruise Missile will score while playing on a non playoff team. He’s a super nice fellow but not a guy who a club can win with. It was smart to dumperoo his 5.5 for next season. 

• Confused 1
  • MillerTime 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bustowitz ain’t an NHL level player. Cruise Missile will score while playing on a non playoff team. He’s a super nice fellow but not a guy who a club can win with. It was smart to dumperoo his 5.5 for next season. 

When the flames trade Marky at the draft this year, that's when you'll really see Cowtown take off. 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

When the flames trade Marky at the draft this year, that's when you'll really see Cowtown take off. 

The Smelly Cowpies can try and trade Marky, but he’s got a NMC and (apparently) likes living there. 

On 3/20/2024 at 12:18 AM, N4ZZY said:

I think we should probably give up the idea that Lindholm's going to resign here. 

He's probably looking for a huge payday, and his play doesn't seem to warrant that. I'd be weary of signing him to a huge contract, or else that could be our next Loui Ericsson moment yet again

Unlike Eriksson, Lindholm doesn't have a good track record prior to the signing. His production had been on the DECLINE, whereas Eriksson had three CONSISTENT 30+ goal seasons. Honestly, if Eriksson had continued his pace or better, the signing wouldn't have been bad for 6M. The player deserved it. However, no one saw what would happen.

And I'm still hoping Lindholm turns it around - for the Canucks sake. I think the trade is pretty much a terrible one at this point, barring Lindholm's potential emergence in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

Unlike Eriksson, Lindholm doesn't have a good track record prior to the signing. His production had been on the DECLINE, whereas Eriksson had three CONSISTENT 30+ goal seasons. Honestly, if Eriksson had continued his pace or better, the signing wouldn't have been bad for 6M. The player deserved it. However, no one saw what would happen.

And I'm still hoping Lindholm turns it around - for the Canucks sake. I think the trade is pretty much a terrible one at this point, barring Lindholm's potential emergence in the playoffs.

I don't know how you can have such strong feelings about bad luck.

On 3/19/2024 at 11:25 AM, canuck73_3 said:

People were saying the same about the Miller trade the first 15-30 games, I won't crown anything this soon. 

Only problem is Miller had term. Management needs to decide whether or not extending Lindholm at the top dollar he’ll be chasing is a smart decision. 

If it wasn't for using this trade to get rid of cap space, would this be the worst trade deadline move in history for a buying team? 

This has to be up there with the Forsberg/Erat trade. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

I imagine that Lindholm's value is so low that he probably will have to do some show me deal to prove himself. In which case Resign Lindholm for 2 Million for one year ? 🤪

• Cheers 2