[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

2 hours ago, Guntrix said:

That's precisely the problem. The need to trade Mikheyev is so obvious that teams are going to make it cost us dearly. 

I'll throw a more controversial one out there. Trade Pettersson. With 11.6 million we get 2-3 very good players. Unfortunately, no team will be able to take on that mammoth contract without sending some cap back in return. 

Yes, I've proposed that too.  Love the guy on the team but not that contract.  $7M/yr x 2 can get you further than $11.5M/yr + 3.5M/yr I think.  Tough call because EP helps get you into the playoffs, but time and time again we see that the playoffs are owned by those that can give and take punishment while going to the hard areas.  Hopefully EP can get there in his career, but this run is not a good look.

I for one was certainly against this trade at the start and knew it would be decided in the playoffs and of course Lindholm has done a massive job for us, arguably our 2nd or 3rd best forward in the playoffs. The reason it's done us so well is because of how bad Petey has been, but I think PA knew that when he went out to get Lindholm. I don't think it was ever an uncertainty that Petey would not sign with us, but more that he's not ready for playoff hockey so we needed some playoff insurance, and that's what Lindholm has brought us. We have Miller at 1C, Lindholm at 2C and Petey at 3C right now.

Obviously the cap structure for that is wild right now but is more of a long-term investment with Petey. I sadly don't know if Pettersson will ever be the Miller/Lindholm-solid defensive/physical player we need though just because of his frame and stature but hopefully we can try and build him up to that. That's the sort of center you need going forward.

Right now you've got to look at trying to keep him but he's going to ask for big bucks after playing so well, surely in the 7M range at least, some team may give him 8M. I'd love for us to sign him to a 1-year show-me 6.5M deal but he'll get big offers after this post-season.

Go figure all the guys having big playoffs are in contract years...there's something to be said for that. Meanwhile guys who are signed longer term are having worse playoffs.

If there's a world in which we can give Zadorov 5.5M, Hronek 7M, Lindholm 7M and Joshua 3.5M I think we go for it but we'll have to sell off some crap. Myers and Cole (9M) walk. Flip a pick or prospect to move Mikheyev's dead 5M. Replace Blueger internally. Sign Tanev for 2M?

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

Every win I’m more confident I want to resign lindy.

solid player and clutch in big moments. He’s been great

He's the top 6 forward we need to round things out.  It should be a complimentary guy with a solid pair of top 6Fs on each of the top 2 lines:

_____-Miller-Boeser

_____-Lindholm-Petey

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

He's the top 6 forward we need to round things out.  It should be a complimentary guy with a solid pair of top 6Fs on each of the top 2 lines:

_____-Miller-Boeser

_____-Lindholm-Petey

Suter or Hog

Lekkerimaki

• Cheers 1

On 5/13/2024 at 9:22 PM, Guntrix said:

That's precisely the problem. The need to trade Mikheyev is so obvious that teams are going to make it cost us dearly. 

I'll throw a more controversial one out there. Trade Pettersson. With 11.6 million we get 2-3 very good players. Unfortunately, no team will be able to take on that mammoth contract without sending some cap back in return. 

The problem with this is that trading him after him having a poor playoff performance at that cap hit...  is it really much different than trading Mikheyev in terms of how other teams are going to look at it?

Not only that, but I kind of look at Pettersson almost like Joe Thornton, who did struggle a bit when he was in Boston, only to prove to actually be important in the playoffs later on. A Pettersson trade could easily be similar to Boston trading Thornton to San Jose or... dare I say it.... the next Cam Neely trade. Remember. Pettersson's still only 25 years old.

20 hours ago, The Lock said:

The problem with this is that trading him after him having a poor playoff performance at that cap hit...  is it really much different than trading Mikheyev in terms of how other teams are going to look at it?

Not only that, but I kind of look at Pettersson almost like Joe Thornton, who did struggle a bit when he was in Boston, only to prove to actually be important in the playoffs later on. A Pettersson trade could easily be similar to Boston trading Thornton to San Jose or... dare I say it.... the next Cam Neely trade. Remember. Pettersson's still only 25 years old.

Especially following Game 5 where he had a fantastic dominant possession game. 

On 5/17/2024 at 2:48 PM, The Lock said:

I guess the question then is this.  He gets paid $11.6M/yr.  For that price, he really needs to be a difference maker in the playoffs......like winning numerous games with the team on his back.  If he can do that, he's worth that money.  If he can't, you then have to ask if getting two solid players for that combined price would make the team more likely to win in the playoffs.  Nobody here rightfully questions having EP on the team other than two thoughts:  can he perform at a superstar level in the playoffs and is his contract prohibiting management from building a perennial contender?  These are more difficult questions to answer without the homer bias we may have for him.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I guess the question then is this.  He gets paid $11.6M/yr.  For that price, he really needs to be a difference maker in the playoffs......like winning numerous games with the team on his back.  If he can do that, he's worth that money.  If he can't, you then have to ask if getting two solid players for that combined price would make the team more likely to win in the playoffs.  Nobody here rightfully questions having EP on the team other than two thoughts:  can he perform at a superstar level in the playoffs and is his contract prohibiting management from building a perennial contender?  These are more difficult questions to answer without the homer bias we may have for him.

The short answer is it's hard to tell at this point. We've seen EP go through ups and downs throughout his career so far. We know that it's like him to be on fire at times and be cold other times. This isn't just a "this year" thing. It sucks when he's cold but when he's on fire... there's a reason he makes 11.6 million. lol So with him, I'd say he needs to be more consistent in general but at least when he is consistent it is for long streaks at a time. Perhaps it's a mental game for him to fight.

Another point I'd like to bring up is the Sedins. Remember how they would be great during the season only to seem almost hidden in the playoffs? That wasn't coincidence. Consider you're the coach of the other team against us in the playoffs. A major strategy is to shut down the main line so that the other team has to rely on secondary scoring. The Sedins were target number 1, which lowered their production, but opened up production to others such as Kesler and Burrows. This was also happening during these playoffs, expect the targets were mostly Pettersson and Hughes. Hughes they still couldn't figure out because it's Hughes we're talking about. Pettersson though it seemed to work, and that's something he's going to have to overcome.

Edit: This might be easier than we think too as he supposedly had an injury since January and I see no reason not to take such things at face value.

So, based on the above, my question in return would be this: If we trade away Pettersson, who becomes the new target for the other team that ultimately gets their production lowered in the playoffs? It's easy to think that by just trading Pettersson, we could do better, but what if that means someone like Miller or Boeser suddenly can't perform as well in the playoffs?

Edited by The Lock