[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

If we are looking to maximize cap flexibility to bring in a Dman like Tanev, I don't understand why Zadorov is on the block rather than Myers? If you move Myers you could bring in both Tanev & a forward with retention.

As far as forwards, STL is making a charge but I do wonder about Buchnevich. Kuzmenko, 1st+? He comes with another year so atleast you have certainty, & he's proven. 

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If we are looking to maximize cap flexibility to bring in a Dman like Tanev, I don't understand why Zadorov is on the block rather than Myers? If you move Myers you could bring in both Tanev & a forward with retention.

-I kind of get the feeling that this management group would like to get Myers back on a hometown discount next season. Obviously trading him away before a stretch run would kibosh that idea.

-Myers is also a right handed shot where as we already have 4 leftys in our top 6.

-He's a big part of our PK, puts up more offense and he very well liked in the room.

It's all a moot point, I don't see us trading any of our Dmen unless there is in fact an issue in the locker room. 

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

1. I don’t think they love the fit. I think they like it when soucy is hurt. But they clearly don’t like have two LHD guys together. And Zaddy was recently benched. So I don’t know if he’s everything they hoped he would be. Especially considering his long term contract here going forward sounds like it’s certainly not a fit. But we will see!

2. of course it has mattered? If Soucy wasn’t hurt I don’t know if we trade for Zadorov at all. And there is only so much money to go around. They are going to look at where they can make the most meaningful impact to our roster this year and money in / money out and injuries will be very important leading up to the TDL 

3. your scenario of standing pat and reinforcing from the farm I’d say is very unlikely and not our managements MO. But who knows maybe you are right and they truly love the chemistry and none of trades make sense available.

Exciting times

You’re looking too much into the “benching”. That’s RT’s MO and doesn’t necessarily mean he wants you gone. He loves JT yet he benched him a while back to remember? Sometimes players are not synching well and need to reset. It’s all good. Big Z is not a Kuzy scenerio, this was just one time. RT has said many times that he loves how he plays.

Big Z gives the Canuck back end contender depth, specifically for a long playoff run, regardless of the coverage for Soucy. Defenders go down the most in the playoffs. By the time we made the Finals in 2011, we had only 4-5 NHL caliber defenders. Can’t win like that.

When I said movement of our prospects and forwards, I meant trades, not call ups.

• Upvote 1

Not sure where this talk of trading Zadorav started but it’s not going to happen. Maybe he won’t get resigned but they’re not going to trade a defender of his size before a push for the playoffs and trying to go deep once there. 
Soucy being injured is one thing but what happens if we get one more injury after him? What do we look like then? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dom said:

Hear me out here, and it's a wild thought.... what if we are after Arbur Xhekaj & we really are shopping Zadorov?

Would be a pretty dumb move considering how much MTL would ask for Xhekaj.  I'm not even convinced that this is an upgrade.  The only argument I could see is that this would be a cap savings, but it hurts us on the ice as Zadorov is the better defenceman overall. 

2 hours ago, Dom said:

Hear me out here, and it's a wild thought.... what if we are after Arbur Xhekaj & we really are shopping Zadorov?

Friedman reported last week that teams have been calling on Xhekaj and they've been told he's not available. 

6 hours ago, Coryberg said:

-I kind of get the feeling that this management group would like to get Myers back on a hometown discount next season. Obviously trading him away before a stretch run would kibosh that idea.

-Myers is also a right handed shot where as we already have 4 leftys in our top 6.

-He's a big part of our PK, puts up more offense and he very well liked in the room.

It's all a moot point, I don't see us trading any of our Dmen unless there is in fact an issue in the locker room. 

I think that'll happen 

Myers takes a pay cut and sticks around as a 4-5D who can play top 4 of needed 

He's a known quantity, knows the systems and coaching staff, well liked in the room, has roots here, probs wants to stay on a competitive team, brings size and looks much better when surrounded by a quality D core

Myers ticks a lot of boxes, we'd probs get him for less than other teams given how long he's been here too

Myers at 2.5-4M with cap increases factored in is a lot better than Myers at 6

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, R3aL said:

I wanna stay away from chychrun he’s just not durable enough.

Tuch and EK aren’t going anywhere I don’t think. I’d love to add either though. 

highly doubt they trade Cole. 

Chychrun has had some issues with staying healthy, but would undoubtedly make our defense better. Might not be him, but finding that 3D would really solidify that core. With us being tight on cap, the candidates that would most likely be traded then by process of elimination are either Zadorov or Cole based off of salary and that they're both LD (not that I want to trade either).

Yeah, Tuch and Ek are unlikely to move, but my point to that would be so was Hronek at the time. My thought there is if either team starts to revaluate their team and understanding that they need to retool, they might have to make the hard decision to trade them if the right trade comes up. 

5 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

You’re looking too much into the “benching”. That’s RT’s MO and doesn’t necessarily mean he wants you gone. He loves JT yet he benched him a while back to remember? Sometimes players are not synching well and need to reset. It’s all good. Big Z is not a Kuzy scenerio, this was just one time. RT has said many times that he loves how he plays.

Big Z gives the Canuck back end contender depth, specifically for a long playoff run, regardless of the coverage for Soucy. Defenders go down the most in the playoffs. By the time we made the Finals in 2011, we had only 4-5 NHL caliber defenders. Can’t win like that.

When I said movement of our prospects and forwards, I meant trades, not call ups.

I misunderstood about the call ups / stand pat

i. Understand why keeping Z makes sense but if we aren’t keeping him long term and there’s sn opportunity to trade him to upgrade plus and / or get a piece long term it could make sense 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I think that'll happen 

Myers takes a pay cut and sticks around as a 4-5D who can play top 4 of needed 

He's a known quantity, knows the systems and coaching staff, well liked in the room, has roots here, probs wants to stay on a competitive team, brings size and looks much better when surrounded by a quality D core

Myers ticks a lot of boxes, we'd probs get him for less than other teams given how long he's been here too

Soucy-Myers has looked pretty solid 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Vegas acquired Barbashev and Blueger.

Colorado acquired Manson, Lehkonen, Cogliano, and Sturm

Depth is key however those teams already had deeper top 6’s than we have.

Boston the #1 one team in the league last season added prior to TDL: 

Acquired in 3 different trades: Demitry Orlov, Tyler Bertuzzi & Garnet Hathaway

Then bowed out in the 1st round...just because your the top seed and push all in doesn't mean your gonna win the cup.

They gave up the following assests: 

Craig Smith · $3,100,000
2023 1st round pick (BOS - #28 - Easton Cowan)
2024 1st round pick (BOS) [op 10 protected]
2025 4th round pick (BOS)
2023 5th round pick (BOS - #156 - Melvin Strahl)
2024 3rd round pick (BOS)
2025 2nd round pick (BOS)

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

As far as forwards, STL is making a charge but I do wonder about Buchnevich. Kuzmenko, 1st+? He comes with another year so atleast you have certainty, & he's proven. 

The thing is we can't really afford to trade Myers since our only regular right handed defensemen are Hronek and him. Right handed defensemen are also the toughest to find right now and we'd have to overpay for someone that we would hope would work out for the team. There's definitely better options out there, but we know what we have with Myers, and it costs us nothing (aside from cap space).

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I misunderstood about the call ups / stand pat

i. Understand why keeping Z makes sense but if we aren’t keeping him long term and there’s sn opportunity to trade him to upgrade plus and / or get a piece long term it could make sense 

In a situation where we are not a playoff team or a bubble playoff team, I get it. Trade him. Thing is we can actually go all the way this year and big Z could play a big part in all of that. Playoffs are a grind and he is strong like bull.

Pump It Running GIF by mattbag3d

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

No surprise there.  If you heard the quote, Friedman was just spitballing and dropped his name.  Maybe a brain fart, maybe he’s just heard teams are calling about him… but can’t see Allvin moving him unless it’s to open up room for a blockbuster (and even then only if he had to.) 

Like Button said, at his acquisition cost he’s fine as a rental even if the numbers don’t look for a re-sign.  (I think he re-signs for a nice little 4x5 or 4.25x4 something around there.)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If we could get him for 3 million I would be stoked. I know he doesn't actually owe us it but it would be nice to make up for the past 5 years of overpayment. With the team finally winning I'm sure he would love to hang around.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Of course. These clowns spitball and think that their public musings don’t have any real world implications. What a bunch of fucking morons. 

In this case I'd say they absolutely know their public musings have real world implications... and that's why it was said.  Nevertheless, any person with half a brain could see moving Zadorov is absolutely idiotic. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Of course. These clowns spitball and think that their public musings don’t have any real world implications. What a bunch of fucking morons. 

This is what I can’t stand about Friedman.

He knows very well that when he throws out a players name and says “I wonder” it sends sports analysts into a frenzy because they take it as gospel.

At this point it’s on him to clarify when he says “I wonder” to follow it up with the fact he hasn’t actually heard anything about it.

Im sure teams have called about Zadorov like they do with any pending UFA. Taking a call on a player and actually shopping them are two very different things. Something that media types seem to confuse time and time again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Friedman being Friedman 

Nothing to report no problem fabricate. 

someone should  make a stats sheet on these guys when they “ report”  “I hearing”. 

some make the weatherman look like a reliable source. 

Edited by Combover

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is what I can’t stand about Friedman.

He knows very well that when he throws out a players name and says “I wonder” it sends sports analysts into a frenzy because they take it as gospel.

At this point it’s on him to clarify when he says “I wonder” to follow it up with the fact he hasn’t actually heard anything about it.

Im sure teams have called about Zadorov like they do with any pending UFA. Taking a call on a player and actually shopping them are two very different things. Something that media types seem to confuse time and time again.

Just now, Combover said:

Friedman being Friedman 

Nothing to report no problem fabricate. 

someone should start keep a stats sheet on these guys when they “report” .

some make the weatherman look like a reliable source. 

That's the part about Friedman that I'm annoyed with these days.  He didn't used to do it as much.  It's unfortunate, because he's a very reliable insider.  He just needs to keep his thoughts to himself and only report on what news he has. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1