[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

Looking through the cap space now, as long as Soucy is on LTIR until the playoffs (Tampa Bay or Vegas style), we should be able to add another top 6 forward or top 4 dman. My preference would be Vatrano and/or Tanev.

• Like 1

I just see this as 1st and Hunter B for Lindholm which is super fair for a 1st / 2nd line Center. Kuzmenko was a free asset that didn’t fit in the line up anymore. 

Yes, we risk Hunter B turning into something special, but we likely have 10+ years of Hughes left, which makes him obsolete since you can only have so many small puck movers in your backend. Look at Rathbone who we thought was going to be something great.

Also, having a star right-handed center man is going to be huge for this club, especially if we’re going deep into the playoffs. Injuries aside, we should be contending for the cup this year.

Edited by Integra250
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Assuming the 1st is definitely going to be that late is premature.  Looked what happened to a historically productive Boston team last year.  A 1st round exit isn't likely, but a possibility 

Bostons pick ended up being 28th overall

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

There’s only so much cap space to go around.  Canucks have EP, Hronek, Zad, Lindholm, Joshua, etc.  Something has got to give.  

It's the cost of success.  If they play well, we gotta pay up or they walk.  If they suck, we let them walk.

5 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I have to disagree brother, what has happened in the past has nothing to with this particular trade.

If we don't win the cup and Lindholm doesn't resign with us, then we have given up a very promising RHD, they are precious things, a puck moving D-man who is in track for 87 assists alone this year.

A first rounder in a draft where after the top ten at most, this draft is a lottery, that pick has the chance to be a solid pick, even picking later.

I have put a lot of effort in studying prospects for this draft, as I have for the last few years.

There is one particular player I am really hoping that will slip due to injury. 

Admittedly Kuzzy has been a disappointment this year however he was rounding out his game.

As for Jurmo, for sure he doesn't seem to be panning out yet.

So if we don't resign him and we don't win the cup, what have we gained ?

Experience! Whether we win the cup or not, in the latter case, we at least know where we stand. If coach and management figure Lindholm is worthy to resign, then I'm sure they'll do there best to get 'er done. 

This is the reward that was promised by management to our players. A player of significant skill and talent to augment our roster. Something that helps them. I'm in no doubt that this'll be the case.

There's no guarantee with moves like this. You make moves of this type to give your team a better chance to succeed. With both JR/PA extended, and no doubt RT extended at some point, we're in a good place to get another kick at the can or two if it doesn't happen this season.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if management has intentions of another move aside from this Lindholm surprise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Didn't want Lindholm based on current form but if he can find his previous level of play here then I;m fine with the price.  Our pro scouting will have assessed where he's at in a pretty bad environment in Calgary so I defer to their judgment.  Even if he's mainly a shutdown, faceoff and pk guy at this stage, that's still a more useful palyer than Kuz has been for us this year.  If he can fit in in PP1 and play with Petey, it's a win.  Not worried about an extension,just how it works out for this year.

He'll be much better here.

He'll play with better players and have less responsibility 

I expect him to get back to Selke form Ike he was last 2 seasons. Top 10 in Sleke voting last 2 season. 2nd and 10th. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, zduck14 said:

Looking through the cap space now, as long as Soucy is on LTIR until the playoffs (Tampa Bay or Vegas style), we should be able to add another top 6 forward or top 4 dman. My preference would be Vatrano and/or Tanev.

Having Calgary, and a 3rd team retain some cap would work too.

• ThereItIs 1

Very similar value to what the Islanders paid us for Horvat.

Lindholm is a good player and I'm excited to see how he fits on the team, but it is a big price. Do we know the conditions on the 4th round pick yet?

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Canucks fans are mind boggling sometimes.

Instead of getting excited for going on a run they’re clamouring over prospects they just learned about months ago…

Anyone who doesn’t realize we just improved our roster big time is lost.

Especially on a position we're kind of weak on. This fixes that.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

We know that the lotto line is a bullet in the chamber, so I will be interested to see the mixing and matching Tocchet does to see who has chemistry.

To me it is either give Petterson a new top winger, or have Lindholm anchor a 2nd line to take on tough matchups and also score.

I would try:

Miller-Petterson-Suter

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Boeser

There is a chance that a new centre could spark Mikheyev who still hasn’t looked right or meshed with the existing guys.

Good thing it's only Feb.  They will have time to gel and figure out what work. 

Lidholm is versatile.  Center, wing, PP, PK.  

1 minute ago, Integra250 said:

I just see this as 1st and Hunter B for Lindholm which is super fair for 1st / 2nd line Center. Kuzmenko was a free asset that didn’t fit in the line up anymore. 

Yes, we risk Hunter B turning into something special, but we likely have 10+ years of Hughes left, which makes him obsolete since you can only have so many small puck movers in your backend. Look at Rathbone who we thought was going to be something great.

Also, have a star right-handed center man is going to be huge for this club, especially if we’re going deep into the playoffs. Injuries aside, we should be contending for the cup this year.

Hunter B has Tony Deangelo upside.

If he reaches his potential I’ll be more than fine taking this swing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Diamonds said:

Very similar value to what the Islanders paid us for Horvat.

Lindholm is a good player and I'm excited to see how he fits on the team, but it is a big price. Do we know the conditions on the 4th round pick yet?

Signs with the Canucks? Canucks make it to the 3rd Round? Just some ideas.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And what if these assets lose value in that time?

Our window finally opens and fans still think  stockpiling prospects will get us closer to a cup. 

At some point you gotta spend to improve your team. Do you know who doesn’t give a damn about the price we just paid? The players because they just got a big confidence boost from management.

Also too many people assuming this value is based on him being a rental. That’s not a guarantee at this point. He very well could re-sign here.

Kuzy's 5.5 and Blueger's 1.9 is prettyn well there to re-sign Lindy. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

I don’t disagree, but it’s a short term win imo given he’s a rental. Canucks will be in a bind this off season with all the pending UFA’s, Petey’s contract extension and all that effing dead cap money from OEL’s buyout that will kick in. 
Cheap prospect depth is still the currency in the NHL so this is steep price. I don’t see them being able to resign him so this may truly be a be a one and done season. I hope not but…

I hear you and that's a concern for sure. 

If we were a WC team this deal would have a totally different vibe.  But when you're in the mix for the President Trophy you have to make serious moves imo - Allvin just put the league on notice that he's serious!

Not to mention he's given the coaching staff AND the players zero excuses from this point, he's done his job (further fine-tuning notwithstanding), now it's up to the team to get it done.

54 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Jurmo and the 4th are throw-ins but it’s a good deal for Calgary as well, especially if Kuz bounces back.  We landed a 3rd for Beau and that helped land Zad.  They could get a lot more than that if Kuz rounds back into form.

We’re landing a really good *right handed* two way ace centre.  We didn’t give up Willander, Lekkerimaki or Raty.  Or Hoglander.  Or Podkolzin.  Hard to complain about that 

We got a 5th for Beauvillier 

It was still the right move.   

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

Playoffs start mid April. IIRC Soucy is do back towards the end of February.... Can't fudge that for 1.5-2 months.