[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

Just now, WHL rocks said:

And the team is 1st overall and top 3 favorite to win the Cup

Plus we have Lekkerimaki and Willander in the system..

Genius work by JR/PA and management team

Sure, but my point is they either overpaid for Lindholm or didnt get enough for Horvat.  

Just now, Rekker said:

Time to start a new thread. "Elias Lindholm. Do we really need him" 

Or “Hunter Brzustewicz the next Bobby Orr?”

Our prospects are either all blue chippers or the worst in the league. There’s never any in between with this fanbase.

• Haha 4

Just now, fanofvan said:

I'd argue the team is overachieving.  How is next years defence looking right now?  Hughes, Soucy, and Juulsen?

You are what your record says you are. Sit back and enjoy the ride. It’s been years of misery around here stop trying to throw a wrench into it. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

And the team is now a beast.

It costs when you take a team with little to nothing in the cupboard and turn it around in no time.

Yeah , outside of Vegas, you look at contenders draft picks and they're on the same road for Lord Stanley like we are 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

But we didn’t though.

We got a 15th-20th pick at the time and a better prospect.

Why are all the fans that hyped Hodgson and Schroeder suddenly coming out of the woodwork.

Well Hodgson's career was shortened because of major medical ailments.  Schroeder was always a 'boom or bust' type of selection.  You 'swing for the fences' at that draft position (and our US scouts have been at least not as stomach turning as our domestic/Canadian scouts).

3 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

This is SCREAMING "all in move". If we win the cup, and Lindholm walks, then, in all complete and utter honesty, I don't give a fuck!!!! 

Not even close imo, we got better, no - WAY better as an overall team and gave up a player who wasn't going to see a regular shift down the stretch or in PO, and we still have an excellent prospect system with great talent at virtually every position. Even if EL doesn't resign we have that money to use elsewhere.   The 1st is basically a 2nd in a mediocre draft year.  The wildcard is HB, but I've always been suspect of his numbers translating to the next level but only time will tell I suppose. 

5 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

If the Canucks flame out in the 1st round, what will that 1st round pick be?  Not sure last years draft was "much better".

Google is your friend. Last years draft was a lot better. Even if we flame out the pick will be mid 20's

Edited by Coryberg

26 minutes ago, BPA said:

Jurmo and a 4th are throwaways.  Lindholm was always going to get a 1st, roster player, and a prospect.

Agreed. 

Kuzmenko is a fun player, but a salary dump for Canucks.  Brzustewicz is a good prospect, tough to give up, but amazing to even have an asset like that to trade and glad it wasn't Kudryavtsev who I think is the better prospect, let alone not giving up any of the Canucks A list prospects. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

If the Canucks flame out in the 1st round, what will that 1st round pick be?  Not sure last years draft was "much better".

Depends on where the Canucks finish. If they win the Pacific as expected the pick will be between 25-28. If they don't win the division it could be lower 

Had to step away when this was first announced to let it simmer. Now that it has, as long as we can re-sign Lindholm to a good contract (along with Petey and Hronek), then this deal really is awesome.

I think this allows us to have two legitimate scoring lines now:

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Mikheyev - Peterson - Lindolm (can help with draws as well)

Like most have said, we have to pay to play and we did. While it was a lot, remember that if this was Benning, we probably would have lost one of Willander, Lekkerimaki, D-Petey, Raty, Podkolzin, or Hoglander. We lost none of them which is fantastic.

Yes we lost Brz, but we had to lose one of our better prospects. We got our top 6 player, and now I'm sure they're trying to sort out a #3 defensemen to solidify us even more.

59 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

as long as this puts the Monahan to us rumors to bed.

Absolutely!

Apparently good on face off's these days?  Also a big body, which means squat!  He has something like just seven hits on the year.

Can score, but can't pass the puck, or hold on to it! Kinda slow! Dead puck center.

Lindholm is 29, lots, I mean lots more speed and agility. This makes lines & teams tick!

Can dangle & pass. Everything you want for a fast moving machine.

Has been a fringe Selke guy at times; ie good defensively.  

Had 42 goals/82 points just 2 years ago.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, fanofvan said:

Sure, but my point is they either overpaid for Lindholm or didnt get enough for Horvat.  

Lindholm is the top centre on the market and on a good contract. It's not an overpay at all.

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I like the move;

Its kinda like trading parts though?

Ultimately we paid more for Lindholm than we received for Bo!

In-between we used parts to get Hronek though, so its been used for the betterment of our team!  

Poll question; Is Lindholm better than Bo???

Lindholm is different than Bo.  Lindholm is the guy they were trying to develop Bo into; a Selke candidate.  But he can also score 42 goals if playing with offensively gifted players

Horvat's best year 38-32-70 -1

Kesler's                   41-32-72 +24

Lindholm's              42-40-82 +61

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Coryberg said:

Google is your friend. Last years draft was a lot better

Ok, I just Google'd and the first article that came up was Sportnets saying the draft classes are similar with 2024 having nearly double the number of highly rated 1st round defence prospects as 2023.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Or “Hunter Brzustewicz the next Bobby Orr?”

Our prospects are either all blue chippers or the worst in the league. There’s never any in between with this fanbase.

People forgot Hunter didn't even made the US national team that went on to win gold.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We're not talking Cam Neely and a 1st for Pederson.

It's a late 1st round pick at best bottom half 1st round pick.

Kuz is struggling. Lindholm fills a need. A guy who is great on faceoffs, and plays center and wing.

The risk is Hunter B.

That's the piece I think Calgary needed to pull off the trade.

Besides I doubt JR and PA made this deal without talking with Lindholm's agent. So they probably have a good idea what he's looking for.

Is there risk? Yes.

Looks like a hockey trade to a division rival.

I am not going to argue my point too much.

All I hope is, this is one of the moves that helps push us over the top.

If not this year, then hopefully he signs with us at a cap hit that still allows us to remain competitive and not only keep Elias and Hronek but add that final missing piece on the back end, that we need.

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Lindholm is the top centre on the market and on a good contract. It's not an overpay at all.

Ok, then the Canucks didnt get enough for Horvat, who is younger and better?

Monahan has more points than Lindholm and costs significantly less.  

Edited by fanofvan