[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

My main point, which I may not have articulated properly, is that we could have gotten Monahan for less and had an extra $3m in space to add another piece.  I don't think the Canucks main concern at this point is defensive minded forwards.

wildly different calibre of player. 

• ThereItIs 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Recent Cup Final. High end Selke votes. Elite 200 foot top six pkayer. 
Huge add for us. Don’t see any reason for negativity from a true fan. 

When was Lindholm in the cup finals?  And he got decent Selke votes one year, his career year.

Decent add at a huge cost, in my opinion.  I would have rather paid less for a guy like Monahan and then added another piece with the extra $3m saved.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lindholm is a guy teams win with. Nothing fancy but just a really solid, 200 foot player. And what did we really give up that is so costly? A late first? A player who isn’t in our top six? A B level prospect snd a C level guy? 
IMHAO the Flames went for quantity over quality. They have to hope HB is a player. Otherwise what do they end up with? Kuz is a UFA 2025. Jurmo is nothing. The first is likely 25-32. 

Yup, agree

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Let's put it this way... PA/JR got this done early to avoid the rush of offers that could potentially drive the price up.  VGK was aggressive when they identified a quality asset.  PA/JR are no different from that perspective.  

Its not just that, by getting in early Lindholm has much more time to get used to the system and his team mates prior to the end of year crunch. Getting in early really is a great strategy especially when you identify the right players for your team 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Dunno how you said we bought low. The price we paid wasn't low at all. Could've had Monahan for a cheaper price and saved a ton more of cap space.

Injury prone Monahan. Pass. Id rather pay a premium for the more reliable player.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Disagree. The price would have been astronomical if we were trying to trade for Lindholm during one of his point-per-game seasons. We need a right-handed centreman, and someone other than Miller to take faceoffs. He's top 5 in faceoffs in the league and has a scoring pedigree. Monahan is none of those things. 

Erm, yes, this is true, but the difference between the two this year in faceoffs, 55.5 vs 55.0...

image.thumb.png.080931af8b8ff6e0c7dd37306699d134.png

image.thumb.png.2452098f60ea7b12c338b5f1d3d14147.png

Dunno. I'm sure Lindholm will be a good pickup. I just have to wonder if Monahan would've been better for the team in the long run.

image.png

3 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

My main point, which I may not have articulated properly, is that we could have gotten Monahan for less and had an extra $3m in space to add another piece.  I don't think the Canucks main concern at this point is defensive minded forwards.

Seriously? Monnohands is 36 and not anywhere close to the level of player as Lindholm. That’s like suggesting Horfat Wallet is as good as JT Miller. These are players that just aren’t comparable. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, fanofvan said:

When was Lindholm in the cup finals?  And he got decent Selke votes one year, his career year.

Decent add at a huge cost, in my opinion.  I would have rather paid less for a guy like Monahan and then added another piece with the extra $3m saved.

Sometimes less is more

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

What did the team really give up though? 

An underperforming forward, a very late 1st pick and a couple of prospects that are behind the batch that are ultimately better to crack the roster. 

What’s the issue? 

Everyone here likes to bitch and complain.... I REALLY thought you got that.... 

🙂

lemmings GIF

1 minute ago, fanofvan said:

Very glad you're not the GM.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Disagree. The price would have been astronomical if we were trying to trade for Lindholm during one of his point-per-game seasons. We need a right-handed centreman, and someone other than Miller to take faceoffs. He's top 5 in faceoffs in the league and has a scoring pedigree. Monahan is none of those things. 

Lindholm is 55.5% on faceoffs, Monahan is 55%.  He's easily on par with Lindholm in the faceoff circle. He's also outscored Lindholm this year playing in the bottom 6. Lindholm is a more complete player and a better fit for Vancouver but you're underrating Monahan by a good margin 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

we can't keep all the pokemon cards. 

being a hockey fan is more like an obsessive, neverending game of d&d for hair the people here. 

I mean fans need to look at the big picture. 

We traded for a solid two way forward that takes pressure off our more skilled guys that are required to play more defensively in situations because the team doesn’t have a guy that can fill that role in a meaningful way. 

It’s a solid trade and win, in my opinion. 

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Yes. I think Lindholm is a bit overrated and Monahan is underrated. The differences between the two aren't enough to justify me being 'sold' on one player over the other.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

I don't get where the HUGE cost was???

1 minute ago, PureQuickness said:

Erm, yes, this is true, but the difference between the two this year in faceoffs, 55.5 vs 55.0...

image.thumb.png.080931af8b8ff6e0c7dd37306699d134.png

image.thumb.png.2452098f60ea7b12c338b5f1d3d14147.png

Dunno. I'm sure Lindholm will be a good pickup. I just have to wonder if Monahan would've been better for the team in the long run.

image.png

Look at the wins. Lindholm is maintaining his high % while taking a lot more faceoffs. 

Offensive capabilities are no contest. Lindholm is way better. 

20 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Lindholms main linemates this year have been Sharangovich (20g 35p) and Mangiapane (9g 27p) 

Monahans main linemates this year have been Pearson (4g 8p), Gallagher (8g 16p), and Anderson (7g 13p)

So sure, Horvat has had better linemates but Monahan has had nowhere near as good of linemates.

But Lindholm has not had high end linemates.

Thanks for proving my point. Not sure why Monahan was even brought up in the first place.