[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

like him already.  

All star center. 

I mentioned elsewhere I would have gone mid level; say Adam Henrique without giving up Brzustowicz.

But we got the single best target IMO. And it is what you have to pay!

I have no criticism of the cost.

I do love Lindholm!  I also criticized Miller and Ekman Larsson acquisitions.  I am more conservative, draft and develop guy/

I also have no doubt we are a better team for this trade.    

2 hours ago, Darius said:

Flames thinking they got a blue chipper in Hunter.  Maybe so.  But the way I look at it...Defenseman putting up points on power house junior teams should be met with tempered expectations after Olli Juolevi.  Can he play defense at the NHL level though...that will be the gamble.

Brzus was expected to be a 1st rounder, has all the tools. Stock went down thru his draft year when he opted against USNDP & USHL for the OHL.

Blue chipper is pushing it; but a great prospect. Wheels & agility, lots of puck composure. Also better defensively than credited for.

Same OHL team & Plus twenty better than Ottawa 3rd rounder Thomas Hamara. He actually had a great draft year. 

If he had clipped 60 or 70 points he still shoulda been a first. People were also saying wait for this years crop of D.

He, even then, was in almost all draft previews a mid 2knd rounder.  An absolute steal where we got him! I had him well higher than Raaty in our own pool, once drafted.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, DixonWard said:

The thing about Alf is, while I don't always agree with his takes, he is a true fan who always takes his teams side.  That is what being a fan(atic) is all about.  The salary cap has made too many "fans" into wanna be GM's.  Alf loves his team and gives them the benefit of the doubt always.

On that note, we are a meaningfully better team tonight than we were this morning.  We still have Lekkerimaki, Willander, Raty, Podkolzin, Silovs and DPetey.  We also have more cap space this year and next.

I am pumped, Go Canucks Go!!!!

78DA18A2-0A85-43E7-949F-CEFE069E6833.jpeg.ff54729a43e8f7d1e1302dcf3d7499a7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Crabcakes said:

really?  they're happy with a rebuild in cow-town?

They aren't going to make the playoffs and got good value for a pending UFA who wasn't going to re-sign. They can be happy with thexreturn even if they're not happy with the state of the team  

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

Do you think it was going to be free to get rid of Kuzy and his Cap, not just for this year but also next?

I didn't know the goal of the trade was to dump Kuz's cap.  What do you think it would have cost to acquire Monahan if Kuzmenko was in the deal?

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the team next season, isn't as good as this year, which is why management is going all in. 

I can see them missing the playoffs next season. I hope they resign Lindholm, but they probably don't have the cap space to do it. Unless Petey and Hronek take discounts, which doesn't strike me that they will. 

And what about all the UFA's they still gotta sign? Lafferty? DeSmith? Blueger? Joshua? Myers? 

DeSmith most likely will be gone as some other team will pay a premium for him ... to be replaced by Silovs

Joshua will most likely be resigned

Blueger probably won't be on the team

Lafferty will be resigned if the cost is "reasonable" <insert what you think that is, I believe $1.5M would be the ceiling> otherwise will be playing elsewhere

Myers will be resigned assuming the term is 3 or less and dollars $2.5M or less otherwise he will be playing elsewhere - assuming of course that PA doesn't have a sneaky trade up his sleeve that somehow involved the Giraffe by TDL

I would be surprised if Lindholm didn't resign as PA / JR would have had to had a discussion with his agent on his expectations, managerial malpractice if they didn't

Honker, Big Zeke will be resigned as will Petey

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Uhhh I was a member on CDC for a long time....very long.  Vintage was a legend, Alf not so much.

I'm not going to sit here & let you take shots at my roomate in the nursing home!🤬

Clint Eastwood said he's a legend!

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

really?  they're happy with a rebuild in cow-town?

one fan wrote he was stoked about both prospects. Which means they are very high on Jurmo, Another fan said he was sad to see Lindholm go but hopes he goes and wins a cup in Vancouver for Canada 

• Like 2

Sucks that we had to give up Hunter but overall, a solid trade. I think this officially makes us a Stanley Cup contender but we're still a Tanev trade and a top 6 winger trade away from being a guaranteed champ. I don't think we're done yet, we don't need a Guentzel now, just a solid top 6 guy that can hit, forecheck and score. Wonder if Podz gets a call-up here soon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Ok but this trade included a 1st and Hunter...so essentially 2 entry level contacts.  Like I said, I would have preferred one but not both.  Just my 2 cents.

Neither were going to be entry level deals in the next 3 seasons. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I wonder how much value people put on re-signing Petey.

If this move in any way facilitates that I make this trade all day long.

What if its a back-up plan for not being able to resign Petey?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Sweet trade.

Cause the 1st is gonna be a high pick and though buzzed about Bruz's OHL success...we  gotta "throw the chips on the table" this season.

Didn't give up any other big blue prospects!!

Hopefully EL isn't just a rental...time will tell.

Kinda hoped Joel E Ek might come our way but feel EL's going to have a splendid time here.

Thanks to Kuz too if he waived his NMC...really liked him.

Hog JT Boes

EP EL Mik

CG TB DJ

? Suter Laff.

GCG 

Edited by Catman
Added the Kuz comment.

1 minute ago, Rocket-68 said:

I would be surprised if Lindholm didn't resign as PA / JR would have had to had a discussion with his agent on his expectations, managerial malpractice if they didn't

Honker, Big Zeke will be resigned as will Petey

But how do they make this work? 

Lindholm in my mind isn't getting anything less than 8M. Then you have Zadorov who's probably going to cost at least 4M, and then Petey (12M?), and Hronek (7-8M). Like that's a lot of money, and not really much left for the rest of the roster to be filled out. 

Just now, fanofvan said:

I didn't know the goal of the trade was to dump Kuz's cap.  What do you think it would have cost to acquire Monahan if Kuzmenko was in the deal?

Kuzy’s cap was the big stumbling block of any trade. He is not a regular and gets benched or scratched regularly. You don’t think the entire NHL doesn’t know that? His salary is negative value and with another year attached to it. Trading him was going to cost us. Nevemind the acquisition of what it would cost to get another player. 

Also, Lindholm is a much better player than Monahan. You have a way better chance of winning a Cup with Lindholm over Monahan. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Brzustewicz, 19, was drafted 75th overall by the Canucks in the 2023 draft and plays for the OHL's Kitchener Rangers.

The 6-foot defenceman is third in OHL scoring with eight goals and 69 points in 47 games this season. He is playing really well in the OHL and definitely holds very good value. 

I caught some flak earlier this year for dropping his name as a piece I would consider trading.  I think at the time I preferred moving him for a long-term piece (and hey, that’s still preferable!)

But the bottom line is Brzustewicz *could* be a great NHL player but he also very well *could* be a player we’re selling high on that falls short of really moving the needle in the NHL.  

USA hockey passed on him and the scouting world isn’t as convinced he’s a sure fire NHL stud as fans on the internet seem to be.

At the end of the day, it’s all about leveraging your odds and there’s decent odds Calgary walks away with Kuzmenko and a handful of beans that never sprout.  I still don’t mind the trade from their perspective (Lindholm is underperforming and asking for way too much at the moment - so some of the proposed trades were too much IMO) but overall it’s a great add for Allvin while keeping the cheap ELCs/RFAs he’ll need to stay competitive in the coming years.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1