[PGT] Blackhawks at Canucks

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

The wife pointed it out early. She said every time Miller gets the puck he gives it away. I started to key in on Miller and I swear to God it was like 4 shifts in a row where he got the puck and turned it over and killed all momentum for the Lotto line.

Hopefully it was just an off game, but he was absolutely brutal.

Wasn’t it that one if the reasons we did so bad under Bruce?

Miller played really bad there for a time.

5 minutes ago, tas said:

I've never seen someone step up into a leadership role the way quinn has in 30+ years of watching this sport. 

don't get me wrong, there have been plenty of great leaders, but the seemingly overnight metamorphosis was just monumental. 

Great parents do wonders to the kids.

• Upvote 1

Missed this one.  Looked like they used an AHL team to try out some different D pairs and to get Kuz some ice.

Nice to see us not drop points to the bottom feeder.

Hopefully Kuz's confidence can build from there.  He was better previous game despite pulling a full statistical zero.

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not our kind of player. 

Lol, let's be real, you don't even know what kinda player he is Alf... and you probably didn't even know who he was until I brought his name up here a few weeks ago 🤣

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I thought Petey still had a strong game

He did, mostly JT and Brock were off. EP was still especially strong defensively. This is what the Leafs can't understand. It's not only how many you score, but how many you prevent. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

[Canucks Central] Post Game: More Like the Chicago Blank-Hawks #canucksCentral 

https://podcastaddict.com/canucks-central/episode/170182481 

Ian Cole's interview post game.  Around 8:00 mark or so.

So unusual for a player to give you this kind of look under the hood at systems, how they're trying to play.  But Tocchet does that too and it really helps educate us fans.  I like the respect it shows.

Cole can still play and seems like an under-rated addition to the room.  If they're playing a more mature game, he's a big reason why.  Hope we can find a way to keep him next year.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Need? Maybe not, but we've all seen the need for playoff depth. Can't really have enough.

Depth might make more sense than a high-cost big splash.  Something like what Vegas did picking up Bluger last year.  Another bottom-pairing D for insurance.  Not interested in over paying for a guy like Lindholm and getting that Calgary stink on us.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Depth might make more sense than a high-cost big splash.  Something like what Vegas did picking up Bluger last year.  Another bottom-pairing D for insurance.  Not interested in over paying for a guy like Lindholm and getting that Calgary stink on us.

I know what you mean. 

Yeah I'm happy for some depth moves around the edges too. Thats fine. I'm also fine with a big all-in move too. Seems like we have something special going on right now, and we all know how rare that is. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Rekker said:

He did, mostly JT and Brock were off. EP was still especially strong defensively. This is what the Leafs can't understand. It's not only how many you score, but how many you prevent. 

I actually think the leafs top players are pretty good defensively, it's just the all out offensively aggressive system they play that dooms them........that and the fact that they can't provide the needed depth and goaltending because of those top heavy contracts

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I know what you mean. 

Yeah I'm happy for some depth moves around the edges too. Thats fine. I'm also fine with a big all-in move too. Seems like we have something special going on right now, and we all know how rare that is. 

Going "all in" this year probably significantly decreases your chances in the next 3-4 years, which is when I think they truly become contenders 

I guess it depends on what "all in" means, in terms of what they give up

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Going "all in" this year probably significantly decreases your chances in the next 3-4 years, which is when I think they truly become contenders 

which teams are the actual contenders this year?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

What if the window of contention has opened now? Look at how many guys are having peak years.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yep. A lot of it will depend on the market other GM's are creating, which we don't know. Maybe Lindholm eg won't return as much as people think.

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What if the window of contention has opened now? Look at how many guys are having peak years.

Yep. A lot of it will depend on the market other GM's are creating, which we don't know. Maybe Lindholm eg won't return as much as people think.

I do think the window is open now and I was one of the few in the last two years that was saying they were a playoff team with a better coach.

However, this is the start of their window and it's likely going to take a few cycles of failing and tweaking before they truly get there, imo.

They certainly "could" do it this year, and gambling the near future for the now could work, no question.  However, history is not on their side there and when it does happen, those teams usually fall right off after winning.

I prefer they play the long game and become a contending team year after year, rather than a one off.  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, tas said:

which teams are the actual contenders this year?

Bos

NYR

Oilers

TB

Col

Vegas

Car

Fla

Teams that have built perennial contenders and know what it takes to win.  That's not to say a Cinderella team like Van or Win can't win it, but id certainly put my money on a team that knows what it takes to go on a deep run

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Bos

NYR

Oilers

TB

Col

Vegas

Car

Fla

Teams that have built perennial contenders and know what it takes to win.  That's not to say a Cinderella team like Van or Win can't win it, but id certainly put my money on a team that knows what it takes to go on a deep run

We have a few folks on this team that have had cup runs with some of these on the list (Cole, Bleuger) Their experience will be valuable for us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Bos

NYR

Oilers

TB

Col

Vegas

Car

Fla

okie doke.