[PGT] Blackhawks at Canucks

Just now, stawns said:

That's the TO model.......sacrificing 1st rounders for rentals, then failing.  Their org is in serious trouble once this phase has passed......I'd hate to see that happen, again, in Van.  It took a decade to build back up after the last time they went all in and failed.

As well, the TO model sacrifices defense and goaltending for scoring, which is the major reason for their failure. I'd like to think that Alvin and Rutherford see the great work they've done to bolster the defense, which supports the excellent goaltending, and continue with that model. Balancing out all three areas of the team is vitally important. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Missed the game but judging by the score, Demko earned a shutout with 31 saves tying NHL lead with 5 shutouts, Kuzmenko having a 2 point night, and perhaps Canucks just wanted to focus on defense instead of blowing the Hawks out. Keep rolling because Oilers do have 5 games in hand 

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

This popped up on my FB feed.  Most of those deals would be a hard no for me, but a couple, focused on picks, weren't as bad.  I still don't think giving up the first for a rental is a good idea

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/2024/01/22/11743-calgary-flames-lindholm/?fbclid=IwAR02kNUX_5DPk4wW9JWIckodgkN9KYrdpSc8ygctxsN1KiYm3fMsa6vibdA#

These proposals are all over the place. For those who didn't click the link:

1) Lindholm @ 3.6M (25% retained) for Kuzmenko + 2024 1st

2) Lindholm @ 2.425 (50%) for Hoglander + Podkolzin

3) Lindholm @ 1.12M (25%) + AJ Greer for Jett Woo, Chase Woutters, 1st, 2nd ('25), 3rd, 4th

(This involves Minnesota eating 25% for Woutters + a 4th)

4) Lindholm @ 50% + Greer for Garland, Hoglander, 1st, 3rd

I'd do #1 - even add another small piece to get 50% perhaps - but not the others. We have no need for Greer imo.

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

These proposals are all over the place. For those who didn't click the link:

1) Lindholm @ 3.6M (25% retained) for Kuzmenko + 2024 1st

2) Lindholm @ 2.425 (50%) for Hoglander + Podkolzin

3) Lindholm @ 1.12M (25%) + AJ Greer for Jett Woo, Chase Woutters, 1st, 2nd ('25), 3rd, 4th

(This involves Minnesota eating 25% for Woutters + a 4th)

4) Lindholm @ 50% + Greer for Garland, Hoglander, 1st, 3rd

I'd do #1 - even add another small piece to get 50% perhaps - but not the others. We have no need for Greer imo.

The first would be enticing for sure because there's a chance you could re-up Lindholm by moving kuz.  The third would also be decent, but I wouldn't want them to give up a first for a rental.

8 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Missed the game but judging by the score, Demko earned a shutout with 31 saves tying NHL lead with 5 shutouts, Kuzmenko having a 2 point night, and perhaps Canucks just wanted to focus on defense instead of blowing the Hawks out. Keep rolling because Oilers do have 5 games in hand 

The game was never in doubt, the Canucks were in control from puck drop.  Demjo played well, but they didn't have a lot of high quality scoring chances and most of the chances they did have were scrambles where staying strong to the post was the key 

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

1st deal or I’d rather just trade for Monahan.

Team should not trade Hoglander or Podkolzin.

Hogz, I agree completely.  Podz, prefer not, but open depending on the deal.  For a rental, probably not

• Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

It was more a battle of both goalies.  We gave up quite a few chances leading to Demko having to make point-blank saves.  Mrazek was also very strong in the other net.  Not the best team game but when your goalie is elite that's sometimes all you need.

Kuzmenko was indeed great last night.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hogz, I agree completely.  Podz, prefer not, but open depending on the deal.  For a rental, probably not

Then I would consider it. An RFA or a good player with term. Lindholm and Guentzel will likely go to free agency if we trade for one of them.

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Then I would consider it. An RFA or a good player with term. Lindholm and Guentzel will likely go to free agency if we trade for one of them.

Agreed.  To me, Guentzel isn't needed if they are keeping the lotto line together for the rest of the season.  In that case, they need a 2C.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I’m not that high on Podz as some other members are. He has 114 shots (the most on Abby Canucks by a long mile) and only 10 goals to show for it. Normally players destined for the NHL have a higher impact in the AHL. Bains has 9 goals on 49 shots.  
There’s a reason Hoglander stuck with the team and Podz didn’t. Come September Bains is going to beat Podz for a LW spot mark my words. Canucks would be smart to package Podz + 1st round pick for an impact player. 

37 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

a real 2C and this line would have scored 3 goals.

a 2nd line of Milky Lindholm Hogz on a line with those 2 guys will be fine defensively and he has more offensive potential than Suter in that position, Hogz Gould Garland that line a bit - "Garland" is a verb now

Miller Petey Brock

Milky Lindholm Hogz

Joshua Bluegger Garland

Lafferty Suter Aman 

maybe upgrade Aman 

Hughes Hronek

Cole Tanev

Zads Myers

To CGY 

Kuzy

Karlsson or Aman 

2024 1st

Klimovich

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

It just occurred to me... the Canucks are atop the NHL standings, so doesn't that make them the best team in the World!?

Not quite - there are a few other teams with equally great records like the Bruins, WPG - also EDM with their 13 wins (17 last 20) is pretty impressive.  Then there is COL who were pre season favorites.

Make the playoffs and see who we match up first.

55 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

If the Oilers catch the Canucks, I will eat my hat. The new Canucks baseball cap that I just got for Xmas even, and I love that thing.

Having said that, a little back-of-a-napkin math... If the Canucks conservatively play .600 the rest of the way (below their current pace), they end up with 110 points.
The Oilers would need 58 more points to pass us, so 29 wins in their last 40 games. I guess it's possible, but the Oilers have a way heavier schedule than us the rest of the way. If they accomplish that, it'll be one of the greatest regular season runs in history.

3 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Not quite - there are a few other teams with equally great records like the Bruins, WPG - also EDM with their 13 wins (17 last 20) is pretty impressive.  Then there is COL who were pre season favorites.

Make the playoffs and see who we match up first.

Boooo! We're the best! 

:towel:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Not me 😆 I want to see them go for it. 

Now, do I want to see them sell of our 1st, Ratu, Willander and Lekker? Only in some extreme case where we were getting talent back like Brady Tkachuk, more C depth and another stud d. 

Otherwise I'm OK with some smaller depth moves. 

100 percent. Anything but Lekk and Willander. But, for the right player with good term, all bets are off. The upcoming cap crunch is real, it's almost crippling. This is a go for it year. Why? Look at how many value contracts are currently on this roster. Easily, easily the most of any team in the NHL. Go for it, percentages of winning the mug are low, they always are. So many things have to go right and only one team wins it all, but this team has the goods. A couple holes? Sure. But every team has a couple holes. Go for it. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The first would be enticing for sure because there's a chance you could re-up Lindholm by moving kuz.  The third would also be decent, but I wouldn't want them to give up a first for a rental.

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

1st deal or I’d rather just trade for Monahan.

Team should not trade Hoglander or Podkolzin.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'd be okay giving up a 1st for a rental if it's the right one. It's a really late pick, you aren't getting a prospect like Willander/Lekkerimaki with it.

I agree on not trading Hogs/Podz. Hoglander is too important to the current roster imo & I'd rather deal Brzustewicz than Podkolzin.